Terrorism Terrorist Al-Zarqawi Dead Obituaries 2006

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 emsparks

emsparks
  • Forever Missed
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 02:12 PM

When the hit on Zarqawi was confirmed, Iraq and coalition troops took down 17 other safe houses. Those 17 other take downs are what is going to put a crimp into al Qaeda’s operation in Iraq.

There are two things that will end the blood shed in Irag. One the Iraqi people have a police force they can trust to protect them. That can only come about by the second thing, and that is if the poilce live in the communities they are protecting.
Sparky::

Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.

#22 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 03:34 PM

View PostLORD of the SWORD, on Jun 8 2006, 06:57 PM, said:

Well we got the A squad, now we killed the B squad leader...looks like they're down to the scrubs now...

Um....LotS----

Al-Zarqawi's A squad has not been 'gotten' yet...

His name is Osama Bin Laden.  And he's still out there somewhere.

Al-Zarqawi was not an Iraqi....he was Jordanian.  (amazing how the two top dogs in Al Queda came from countries we consider to be long time allies).  He only came to Iraq shortly before the invasion of Afghanistan by the US.  His allegiance, such as it was, was to himself and Bin Laden...not Saddam Hussein or Iraq.

BTW Al-Zarqawi had at least two death sentences on him due to other terrorist activities in Jordan and other countries.  

And as long as Bin Laden is still out there....it ain't over.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#23 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 05:33 PM

Ok, but is it absolutely necessary to spend the entire evening national news broadcast on it as it seems ABC News is going to do here?

Oh and showing pictures of his dead face that's helpful too.

Edited by Anastashia, 08 June 2006 - 05:35 PM.

The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#24 Batrochides

Batrochides
  • Islander
  • 669 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 05:43 PM

Right now al-Zarqawi's finding out that he's not in heaven but hell, and that instead of 70 virgins he's getting one 70-year-old virgin.

#25 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 05:51 PM

View PostBatrochides, on Jun 8 2006, 10:43 PM, said:

Right now al-Zarqawi's finding out that he's not in heaven but hell, and that instead of 70 virgins he's getting one 70-year-old virgin.

Or as the joke goes, he's currently getting his ass kicked by George Washington, Patrick Henry, Thomas Jefferson, and 67 other patriots, not realizing that he was gonna be meeting 70 Virginians in the afterlife.
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#26 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 06:08 PM

View PostMuseZack, on Jun 8 2006, 06:51 PM, said:

Or as the joke goes, he's currently getting his ass kicked by George Washington, Patrick Henry, Thomas Jefferson, and 67 other patriots, not realizing that he was gonna be meeting 70 Virginians in the afterlife.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Thanks Zack you really don't know how much I needed that laugh.
The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#27 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 06:15 PM

Score one for the good guys.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#28 The Oncoming Storm

The Oncoming Storm

Water's wet; sky's blue; and Satan Clause is out there.

• Islander
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 06:16 PM

Well, I for one am frankly glad this guy's takin' a dirt nap.  Nothing like a laser guided 500 pounder to ruin someone's day.

Rose: [disgusted] Oh, look at what the cat dragged in: "The Oncoming Storm."

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." -- John Wayne

Sometimes the best causes worth fighting for are lost causes. -- Me.

Formerly Known as "Lost Cause."

#29 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 06:24 PM

View PostMuseZack, on Jun 8 2006, 03:51 PM, said:

:howling:  That just made my day.  :lol:  :lol:  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#30 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 06:57 PM

Well done to everyone involved.  I'm sure the two F-16 pilots are the talk of the town by now at their base.

View Postemsparks, on Jun 8 2006, 03:12 PM, said:

When the hit on Zarqawi was confirmed, Iraq and coalition troops took down 17 other safe houses. Those 17 other take downs are what is going to put a crimp into al Qaeda’s operation in Iraq.
I'm hoping the analogy I've been making to the Philippine Insurrection holds true.  The capture of Aguinaldo in that Insurrection was a major blow to it.  It marked the beginning of the end for the Insurrection and over time the last of the rebels were defeated.
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#31 Tricia

Tricia

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 07:17 PM

One thing that some seem to be forgetting is that Al Qaeda as represented in Iraq by Al-Zarqawi is not the only insurgent group there..

There are a total of 13 others that are known to exist.  And not all of them are from Iraq.  

This may be the end of all of those groups in Iraq...or not

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#32 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 10:11 PM

View PostMuseZack, on Jun 8 2006, 06:51 PM, said:

With his luck it'll be the other Virginians, James Drury, Clu Glager and Lee J. Cobb.  :lol:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#33 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 10:28 PM

View Posttrikay, on Jun 8 2006, 05:17 PM, said:

One thing that some seem to be forgetting is that Al Qaeda as represented in Iraq by Al-Zarqawi is not the only insurgent group there..

There are a total of 13 others that are known to exist.  And not all of them are from Iraq.  

This may be the end of all of those groups in Iraq...or not

Most likely not. It's a sure bet that whatever day's our last one in Iraq, there'll still be a number of extremist groups up and running.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#34 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 11:11 PM

True, but the Iraqi resistances goals are not the same as Al-Queda's, the two have a marriage of convenience at best.  maybe him buying the farm will help shake up that marriage a bit, one can only hope.

If i was one of the F-16 pilots i would have been sore tempted to yell "Hey! Al! CATCH!" as i dropped the smart bomb.  :D

As I recall part of how they got locked onto him was because while Zarqawi himself wqas pretty good at sneaking around, his 'spiritual advisor' wasn't.

Edited by D'Monix, 08 June 2006 - 11:14 PM.

#35 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 01:30 PM

View PostAnastashia, on Jun 8 2006, 06:33 PM, said:

Ok, but is it absolutely necessary to spend the entire evening national news broadcast on it as it seems ABC News is going to do here?

Oh and showing pictures of his dead face that's helpful too.

ABC? Hell it was all the entire media was covering. NBC, CBS...every station I turned to had it running. I was under the impression that nothing else had happened that day.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#36 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 01:31 PM

View Posttrikay, on Jun 8 2006, 04:34 PM, said:

Um....LotS----

Al-Zarqawi's A squad has not been 'gotten' yet...

His name is Osama Bin Laden.  And he's still out there somewhere.

Al-Zarqawi was not an Iraqi....he was Jordanian.  (amazing how the two top dogs in Al Queda came from countries we consider to be long time allies).  He only came to Iraq shortly before the invasion of Afghanistan by the US.  His allegiance, such as it was, was to himself and Bin Laden...not Saddam Hussein or Iraq.

BTW Al-Zarqawi had at least two death sentences on him due to other terrorist activities in Jordan and other countries.  

And as long as Bin Laden is still out there....it ain't over.

Good point. I was referring to Saddam as the A squad...but you're right, Bin Laden is actually the number one.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#37 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 01:42 PM

This guy sums it up nicely,

http://blog.washingt...e_of_the_h.html

If there is one really hopeful sign in the death of Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, it is in the involvement of normal Iraqis and the security services and militaries of Iraq and Jordan. .. The United States may have its Predator drones and satellites, ... the missing middle ground in the hunt for al Qaeda and in counter-insurgency operations in Iraq has been the kind of authentic intelligence and law enforcement pieces of a puzzle that can only come from local cops, agents and native soldiers. ...  But the active involvement of governments of Iraq and Jordan point to an increasingly authentic common mission: After many years of false starts and a steep American learning curve, what we are witnessing is no longer mere collaboration with American occupiers  to hold on to power and make a buck.
Because of how different those enemy are from us, and the fact they're there rather than here, the more we have those over there involved, and less of us going over there, just smaller numbers for advising and training and leading but also to show the important we place on all this, the better this stuff will go.
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#38 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 02:13 PM

View Postoffworlder, on Jun 9 2006, 02:42 PM, said:

Because of how different those enemy are from us, and the fact they're there rather than here, the more we have those over there involved, and less of us going over there, just smaller numbers for advising and training and leading but also to show the important we place on all this, the better this stuff will go.

Jordan only got involved after he blew up that wedding. Once he did that he was fair game as far as they were concerned.

#39 Tricia

Tricia

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 04:17 PM

LotS said

Jordan only got involved after he blew up that wedding. Once he did that he was fair game as far as they were concerned

Very true...

In fact, this morning on GMA (I Think) a reporter was talking to one of al-Zarqawi's Jordanian cousins who expressed grief over his cousin....and thought his cousin was a great man--as long as he was hurting the US military and other Americans.

But his attacks against Jordanians and other Muslims angered the cousin.  And also a lot of other people in the Middle East.

#40 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 04:52 PM

View Posttrikay, on Jun 9 2006, 05:17 PM, said:

But his attacks against Jordanians and other Muslims angered the cousin.  And also a lot of other people in the Middle East.

Exactly. If he had stuck to just attacking the US and coalition forces...he'd still be alive today. Because Jordan and others involved in finding him wouldn't have helped the US find him.

Why do you think we haven't found Bin laden yet. Cause the boy is keeping a very low profile. He's not attacking muslims. So people over there have no reason to betray him.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Terrorism, Terrorist, Al-Zarqawi, Dead, Obituaries, 2006

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users