• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#41 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 11:01 PM

View PostG1223, on Jun 9 2006, 11:49 PM, said:

Actually I gathered she undid the Dalek's work.
As did I.
"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#42 Caretaker

Caretaker
  • Islander
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 11:08 PM

I saw this episode a few months ago thanks to a person I know (but I don't want to get him or her in trouble, so I'll stop there about this).

I didn't get why the phrase Bad Wolf, but, a predestination paradox certainly would explain it's lack of start.

I must say, though - Rose in sync with the Tardis... I kept thinking, "That's how to do the Phoenix Force."  :cool:
XBox Live gamercard

Watch the I've Got Munchies video podcast.

Start a free online family tree at GENi

#43 Smitty

Smitty

"If I knew what was going on I'd really be indignant.&q

• Islander
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 11:40 PM

View PostChristopher, on Jun 9 2006, 09:45 PM, said:

A couple of key things.  One is that regeneration isn't all-powerful or infallible.  A Time Lord can regenerate from near-death, but not from absolutely anything.  Something severe enough to cause instant death would probably be unsurvivable.  A Time Lord probably couldn't regenerate from getting his head blown off, say.  Also, it's been shown that regeneration isn't always a sure bet -- a Time Lord is fragile after it happens, and can be in danger of having the regeneration fail, perhaps terminally, if it doesn't go quite right.

(Also, if we're talking about a planet being destroyed, why are you assuming any Time Lords would be able to survive such a cataclysm intact?  They'd probably all be completely vaporized.)

Also there's the simple fact that Time Lords only get a dozen regenerations.  Even if that "die repeatedly in vacuum" scenario could happen, they'd have to get picked up pretty quickly before they ran out of lives.
Good point, Timelords aren't like the Immortals from Highlander, though they thmselves can be snuffed out by a beheading but that's neither here nor there.

In their individual lives or incarnations Timelords though they are more resileint and resistant to certain factors that could kill a mere human, can still be killed by anything that affects organic life.

Ie Jon Pertwee dying from radiation in Planet of the Spiders, Tom Baker dying from impacting the ground after falling from the Pharos radio telescope in Logopolis, Peter Davison dying from spetrox poisoning in The Caves of Androzani and Sylvester McCoy peing pumped full of lead in the tv movie etc.

-cs™

#44 Mooky

Mooky

Self-REbanned

• Islander
  • 8,673 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 12:14 AM

View PostSmitty, on Jun 9 2006, 10:22 PM, said:

Heh Drax lives about 20 miles from me!

-cs™

I does?  Whur you at?

#45 Smitty

Smitty

• Islander
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 01:04 AM

Wesson, live in Beauregard but the Wesson/Beauregard area.

It's fair to say I live in what's called "the sticks".

-cs™

#46 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,137 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 01:41 AM

View PostSmitty, on Jun 10 2006, 12:40 AM, said:

. . . and Sylvester McCoy peing pumped full of lead in the tv movie etc.

Well, he arguably could've survived that were it not for the human-centric medical attention he received. :)

#47 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 02:08 AM

View PostDWF, on Jun 9 2006, 10:28 PM, said:

I think they'd need an entire body to regenerate a body part won't do the trick and I don't think even the Doctor can travel back to Gallifrey, he can't go back and change things as Father's Day proved. And you can kill a Time Lord it is possible to kill one before they can regenerate and yes I do think that if you blow up their planet they can't come back.

Ok, Wasn't aware they needed a whole body. I was under the impression that as soon as they died they regenerated. Which also made me wonder if they were like Hydras...If you cut off one arm, do you get 2 doctors? But if a body part won't do then I guess not.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#48 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 02:10 AM

I just wanted to add. Rose really doesn't treat Mickey very well, does she?

The look on his face when she said: "there's nothing here for me." was something.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#49 Smitty

Smitty

• Islander
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 02:32 AM

[quote name='LORD of the SWORD' date='Jun 10 2006, 02:08 AM' post='853832']
[quote name='DWF' post='853717' date='Jun 9 2006, 10:28 PM']Ok, Wasn't aware they needed a whole body. I was under the impression that as soon as they died they regenerated. Which also made me wonder if they were like Hydras...If you cut off one arm, do you get 2 doctors? But if a body part won't do then I guess not.
[/quote]
Spoiler alert!

[url="javascript:;"]
Spoiler: click to show/hide
[/url]
In the episode The Christmas Invasion, the first fullon David Tennant/The Doctor 10 episode. He gets his hand chopped by an irate Sycorax and he regrows a new one. But he explained he was still in his regeneration cycle when that happened.

IOW only in very special circumstances can he make like a starfish.

-cs™

#50 Mooky

Mooky

Self-REbanned

• Islander
  • 8,673 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 05:38 AM

View PostLORD of the SWORD, on Jun 10 2006, 02:08 AM, said:

View PostDWF, on Jun 9 2006, 10:28 PM, said:

I think they'd need an entire body to regenerate...

Ok, Wasn't aware they needed a whole body.

Technically, it's the same body.  The quote below might help:

Time Lords also have the ability to regenerate their bodies when their current body has become too old or is mortally wounded. This process results in their body undergoing a transformation, gaining a new physical form and a somewhat different personality. Regenerations can be traumatic events, and have been known to fail.

From http://en.wikipedia....characteristics

#51 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 07:55 AM

There were some pretty incredible moments in this ep. the TARDIS materializing around Rose and the Dalek, the fact that there were only three real Dalek props in this ep. and the standing up regeneration scene was cool too and I'm glad Sci-Fi didn't edit out the kiss between Jack and the Doctor and IMO the series is in good hands with David Tennant.  :cool:

I'm also glad nobody thought the ending was a Deus ex Machina as a great number of people thought when it first aired.

Edited by DWF, 10 June 2006 - 07:57 AM.

The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#52 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,234 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 08:51 AM

View PostCaretaker, on Jun 10 2006, 12:08 AM, said:

I didn't get why the phrase Bad Wolf, but, a predestination paradox certainly would explain it's lack of start.

I think it's just because the corporation running the satellite was called Badwolf for whatever reason.  Their "BADWOLF CORPORATION" sign was this big, dominant feature of the chamber where the final confrontation happened, and that was the place Rose needed to get to, so she just took that convenient landmark and seeded it through time.  If the corporation had called itself "Zyzzyvex," then that would've been the phrase seeded through time -- and it would've stood out a heck of a lot more.

View PostLORD of the SWORD, on Jun 10 2006, 03:08 AM, said:

Ok, Wasn't aware they needed a whole body. I was under the impression that as soon as they died they regenerated.

I've always interpreted it as something that happens just before they die, a last-ditch defense against death, rather than a reversal of death.  I assume that if regeneration doesn't kick in before the actual moment of death, then it's too late.  As far as I know, the only instance where a Doctor actually stopped breathing before regeneration happened was the one in the movie, where he was already declared dead and put in the morgue for a couple of hours before regeneration kicked in.  But that was quite anomalous.  Every other time we've seen it happen, it's kicked in shortly before he would've died.  (I choose to assume that in the movie's case, he wasn't really dead, just in a deep coma that the human doctors couldn't distinguish from death.  Hard to make sense of it otherwise.)
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Patreon Page -- Featuring reviews and original fiction
Facebook Author Page

#53 Nialla

Nialla
  • Islander
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 09:32 AM

View PostDWF, on Jun 10 2006, 07:55 AM, said:

There were some pretty incredible moments in this ep. the TARDIS materializing around Rose and the Dalek, the fact that there were only three real Dalek props in this ep. and the standing up regeneration scene was cool too and I'm glad Sci-Fi didn't edit out the kiss between Jack and the Doctor and IMO the series is in good hands with David Tennant.  :cool:

Some of use who'd... um... already seen the show through other means were really curious if the kiss would be cut. There wasn't a real reason for them to cut it, it wasn't like it was a "sexual kiss", but Sci Fi and other USA Network channels get weird on censoring. I remember one show where they bleeped the word bitch when the characters were talking about a female dog.  :rolleyes:

I'm also glad nobody thought the ending was a Deus ex Machina as a great number of people thought when it first aired.

Nah, it was Deus ex TARDIS.  :whistle:

Now... has anyone heard any rumor of Sci Fi picking up season two or Torchwood? I think for a show that's the only original program on Sci Fi Friday, it's gotten good ratings. Season two only has five more eps to go in the UK, and I'd think Sci Fi could go ahead and annouce they're going to have it, even if it might be a while before it airs.
"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and riffled their pockets for new vocabulary."
~ James D. Nicoll

#54 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 09:45 AM

Now... has anyone heard any rumor of Sci Fi picking up season two or Torchwood? I think for a show that's the only original program on Sci Fi Friday, it's gotten good ratings. Season two only has five more eps to go in the UK, and I'd think Sci Fi could go ahead and annouce they're going to have it, even if it might be a while before it airs.

There's been no talk of either one coming here yet and I suspect that a Torchwood announcement would be some time off in coming, but as soon as I know anything I'll certainly post it.  :cool:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#55 Nialla

Nialla
  • Islander
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 10:01 AM

View PostDWF, on Jun 10 2006, 09:45 AM, said:

There's been no talk of either one coming here yet and I suspect that a Torchwood announcement would be some time off in coming, but as soon as I know anything I'll certainly post it.  :cool:

Several of my online friends are now "Hooked on Who" and keep asking me for news about season two, since they know that I'm already watching it. They're having a hard time understanding why season two is nearing completion in the UK, but we don't have any word about it coming to Sci Fi. They hadn't heard about the first season being a sort of last minute deal in the first place and are surprised that Sci Fi seems to be dragging their heels.

I do have to wonder if Torchwood's more "adult" spin will have any effect on it being picked up.

Edited by Nialla, 10 June 2006 - 10:28 AM.

"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and riffled their pockets for new vocabulary."
~ James D. Nicoll

#56 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 10:15 AM

View PostNialla, on Jun 10 2006, 11:01 AM, said:

View PostDWF, on Jun 10 2006, 09:45 AM, said:

Several of my online friends are now "Hooked on Who" and keep asking me for news about season two, since they know that I'm already watching it. They're having a hard time understanding why season two is nearing completion in the UK, but we don't have any word about it coming to Sci Fi. They hadn't heard about the first season being a sort of last minute deal in the first place and are surprised that Sci Fi seems to be dragging their heels.

I do have to wonder if Torchwood's more "adult" spin will have any affect on it being picked up.

Given how long it took Sci-fi to pick up this season of Dr. Who I'm not surprised that we haven't heard anything about season two or Torchwood coming here as well.  :eh:

#57 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 10:55 AM

I didn't know a thing about Dr. Who. (Yes, I'm ignorant. ;) ) But I happened to catch last night's episode and absolutely loved it. Didn't matter that I don't know a thing about the Whoverse. It was still tons of fun to watch: creative, funny, and cheesy in a totally endearing way. And the Daleks were a hoot--like demented R2D2s. Loved it. :love:
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#58 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,654 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 12:00 PM

A Whobie Newbvie question:  do all the Doctors say "Fantastic!" a lot, or is that the catchphrase for Eccleston's Doctor?

Although this is probably a stretch, in some versions of "Little Red Riding Hood," the Woodsman cuts open the wolf with his axe to free Red's grandmother and Red herself.  I wondered if this was an allusion inspired by the Tardis having to be pulled open to empower Rose.

Cardie

Edited by Cardie, 10 June 2006 - 12:02 PM.

Nothing succeeds like excess.

#59 writergroupie

writergroupie

Mad for Moffat...

• Demigod
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 12:47 PM

View PostCardie, on Jun 10 2006, 10:00 AM, said:

A Whobie Newbvie question:  do all the Doctors say "Fantastic!" a lot, or is that the catchphrase for Eccleston's Doctor?
Each Doctor (and some companions) had their own catchphrases and quirks.  "Fantastic" was Eccleston's. :)

("Have a jelly baby" was Tom Baker's catchphrase, Jon Pertwee's Doctor liked to "reverse the polarity of the neutron flow", Peter Davison often said "Brave heart" especially to Tegan, Troughton companion Jamie often said "look at the size of that thing, Doctor!", and don't get me started on all of Leela's little phrases :))

Jill

Edited by writergroupie, 10 June 2006 - 12:50 PM.

I write, therefore I am.

But... but... if it's not magic and sparkly how can I use it to reshape the universe?  Without the magic sparklies, it's like... just a metaphor.
-- Me (on bonsai)

#60 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,234 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 01:25 PM

View PostCardie, on Jun 10 2006, 01:00 PM, said:

A Whobie Newbvie question:  do all the Doctors say "Fantastic!" a lot...?

No, thank goodness.  That was fine for one Doctor, but it would've gotten tiresome after a couple of decades....

View Postwritergroupie, on Jun 10 2006, 01:47 PM, said:

Each Doctor (and some companions) had their own catchphrases and quirks.  "Fantastic" was Eccleston's. :)

("Have a jelly baby" was Tom Baker's catchphrase, Jon Pertwee's Doctor liked to "reverse the polarity of the neutron flow", Peter Davison often said "Brave heart" especially to Tegan, Troughton companion Jamie often said "look at the size of that thing, Doctor!", and don't get me started on all of Leela's little phrases :))

I'd say Troughton's most characteristic expressions were "Oh dear" and "Run!"  Hartnell's main verbal quirk was his little "Hm?" at the ends of sentences -- that and flubbing about half his lines. ;)

Colin Baker didn't have a trademark phrase per se, more just a general arrogance and grandiosity.  His trademark was more his flamboyant, ultra-tacky wardrobe.  Although he did go on about his unchronicled encounter with the Terrible Zodin more than once.

I can't think of any particular catchphrase of McCoy's, except for one that he shared with several other Doctors: "Hello, I'm the Doctor and this is my friend ____."
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Patreon Page -- Featuring reviews and original fiction
Facebook Author Page

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Doctor Who, Doctor Who: Series 1

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users