• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 10:24 AM

Among my few, minor quibbles with this otherwise extraordinarily good two-parter is the cop out with Rose at the end: she really should've put that bullet right in the guy's head, instead of shooting out the cockpit window -- which was, well, retarded.  How the hell did she know there was a (very convenient) blast shield?  They all should've died.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#22 writergroupie

writergroupie

Mad for Moffat...

• Demigod
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 12:02 AM

^ But wasn't possessed-Toby saying "you can't kill me"?  So shooting him would've wasted the one bullet and done nothing, whereas shooting out the window sent him into the black hole and effectively got rid of him.  I thought it was a very smart move by Rose.

Of course there is the problem that they said in the first part that their ammo only shoots through organics and I doubt the window was organic. :p  But maybe this was a different ammo?  Of course anything that would shoot through a window would've been a problem on the station, so...

At any rate - freakin' awesome!  But from the way RTD talked in the Confidential, it sounds like he had a major hand in the scripting of this one - especially as we heard nothing about or from Matt Jones himself.  And there were some definite RTD moments - the sacrifice of the likeable character (the young girl and the security guy) and the bodily function joke while they're in the conduit. :rolleyes:

Still this felt like and looked like a Doctor Who MOVIE not a two part TV episode!  I would've happily paid to see this on the big screen!  It worked as a self-contained 2 hour story with little background required - I felt it was very accessible.  If I were to intro someone new to Doctor Who (who didn't want to watch two seasons' worth of material), I think I'd easily start with this two-parter.

Great job all around!

Jill
I write, therefore I am.

But... but... if it's not magic and sparkly how can I use it to reshape the universe?  Without the magic sparklies, it's like... just a metaphor.
-- Me (on bonsai)

#23 Ilphi

Ilphi
  • Islander
  • 4,071 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 03:57 AM

This episode also pushed the series forward in another regard - as far as I can tell it's the first episode to be set entirely off-Earth (or some varient on Earth), which in my opinion is a very good progression, as it (quite literally) opens up a whole universe for the writers to play with instead of having to touch base every episode.
Yea, ere my hot youth pass, I speak to my people and say:
Ye shall be foolish as I; ye shall scatter, not save;
Ye shall venture your all, lest ye lose what is more than all;
Ye shall call for a miracle, taking Christ at His word.
And for this I will answer, O people, answer here and hereafter,
The Fool - Padraic Pearse

#24 Raeven

Raeven

Having a Mads moment

• Administrator
  • 24,347 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 07:08 AM

finally watched it last night - awesome, best episode(s) so far this season :)

It's very complex. If the pizza man truly loves this babysitter, why does he keep slapping her rear? Perhaps she has done something wrong ~ Castiel

#25 Nialla

Nialla
  • Islander
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 10:52 PM

View Post_ph, on Jun 15 2006, 10:24 AM, said:

Among my few, minor quibbles with this otherwise extraordinarily good two-parter is the cop out with Rose at the end: she really should've put that bullet right in the guy's head, instead of shooting out the cockpit window -- which was, well, retarded.  How the hell did she know there was a (very convenient) blast shield?  They all should've died.

She didn't know there was a shield, and fully expected to die. But shooting the guy wouldn't have killed him. By shooting out the window, he'd end up in the black hole, either on his own or with them in the ship, which was the failsafe his jailers had intended.
"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and riffled their pockets for new vocabulary."
~ James D. Nicoll

#26 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 04:41 PM

This was such an awesome two-parter. Aside from Billie Piper's endless mugging, the grim tone was kept throughout and the CGI were dazzling.

I think I've finally accepted David Tennant in the role. I was suffering from Eccleston loss for a while there. ;)
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#27 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 07:20 PM

View Postwritergroupie, on Jun 16 2006, 01:02 AM, said:

^ But wasn't possessed-Toby saying "you can't kill me"?  So shooting him would've wasted the one bullet and done nothing, whereas shooting out the window sent him into the black hole and effectively got rid of him.  I thought it was a very smart move by Rose.

Of course there is the problem that they said in the first part that their ammo only shoots through organics and I doubt the window was organic. :p  But maybe this was a different ammo?  Of course anything that would shoot through a window would've been a problem on the station, so...

Jill

It was the bolt gun that Zack brought from central control, so it could shoot though the window.

And it was a great two parter, I saw it in a group session today but missed a scene or two right after the TARDIS came up missing.  :(
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Doctor Who, Doctor Who: Series 2

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users