Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

My Space teen intercepted on her way to Jordan.

Children Parenting Internet My Space 2006

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 04:06 PM

Here's the link: http://www.msnbc.msn...3772/from/RS.4/

Ok, be warned a rant is coming.

Katherine disappeared Monday after talking her family into getting her a passport by saying she was going to Canada with friends, sheriff’s officials said. She apparently planned to visit a man whose MySpace account describes him as a 25-year-old from Jericho, Undersheriff James Jashinske said.

Ok, what drugs were these parents on? I mean who gets their 16 year old a passport, then lets her go to Canada by herself?

Shawn Lester told The Saginaw News that her daughter has “never given me a day’s trouble. ... I just don’t understand with all these new laws protecting America how a 16-year-old kid could get out of the country.” She said her daughter never had a boyfriend and seemed to be content with that.

She got out of the country with the passport you got her, stupid!

On MSNBC tv the mother said that she wouldn't have a computer in the house anymore....Sorry lady but it's not the computers fault. It's your's, your daughters, and the guy she was talking to. But lady, mainly it's your fault. you should've known what your kid was doing on the internet. You definately shouldn't have gotten her a passport and let her go to Canada without an adult present.

I could go on, but my rant would probably violate several guidelines...so I guess this will have to do:  :ranting:  :ranting:  :ranting:
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#2 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 04:10 PM

Not to defend what happened here, but if you live fairly close to the Canadian border, what's the big deal about letting a 16 year old visit with her friends?  It's not exactly going to Tijuana to get s***-faced.  What's she gonna do there, load up on cheap prescription drugs?
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#3 Schmokie_Dragon

Schmokie_Dragon

Crazy Fish Lady

• Islander
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 04:17 PM

My parents would let me go abroad with friends....

I dont think that the mother should be blamed for letting her kid go, on the pretence she was going on holiday. I think the big mistake her mother made was not checking the travel and accommodation plans. If she had done that, she would surely have descovered that it was all a ruse.

But as for letting her kid go on the internet? What kind of a world do we live in where parents are expected the supervise the internet use of 16 year olds? The kid was an idiot and she sould take responsibility for that idiocy.
Posted Image

#4 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 04:21 PM

View PostMuseZack, on Jun 10 2006, 05:10 PM, said:

Not to defend what happened here, but if you live fairly close to the Canadian border, what's the big deal about letting a 16 year old visit with her friends?  It's not exactly going to Tijuana to get s***-faced.  What's she gonna do there, load up on cheap prescription drugs?

Perhaps after 911 the rules for going to canada changed, not sure. But I've been to canada, drove across the border. Didn't need a passport, just a driver's license.

As for the parents allowing it....Guess this just goes to show some people know how to be good parents, some don't. Allowing a 16 year old to go to another country without adult supervision is stupid in the extreme.

Should parents who live on the mexico border allow their children to go across? Without adult supervision?
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#5 The Oncoming Storm

The Oncoming Storm

Water's wet; sky's blue; and Satan Clause is out there.

• Islander
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 04:21 PM

When my folks lived in Vermont many years ago, our whole family crossed the border to Montreal to go visit some people my parents had met in the States.  We didn't need a passport to go over there and back.  It was in and out, easy-peasey.  

Now, I am going to assume here that her parents thought she needed a passport to go over to Canada.  Besides, she's not far from Detroit, which is abutted against the border with Canada, so, going over there may be next to nothing.  Her folks just brained out in that they didn't keep up with their daughter, they had no idea what she was doing, who she was talking to, etc.  They just fell down on the job.

Rose: [disgusted] Oh, look at what the cat dragged in: "The Oncoming Storm."

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." -- John Wayne

Sometimes the best causes worth fighting for are lost causes. -- Me.

Formerly Known as "Lost Cause."

#6 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 04:24 PM

View PostSchmokie_Dragon, on Jun 10 2006, 05:17 PM, said:

But as for letting her kid go on the internet? What kind of a world do we live in where parents are expected the supervise the internet use of 16 year olds? The kid was an idiot and she sould take responsibility for that idiocy.

Agreed the kid is an idiot. But IMO so is the mother. In today's world parents should be aware of what their kids are doing online. In order to protect their child, which is their job, they NEED TO KNOW WHAT THEIR KIDS ARE DOING ONLINE!

Especially with all the stories in the media about child predators online...the dateline "to catch a predator" series comes to mind.

#7 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 04:35 PM

View PostSchmokie_Dragon, on Jun 10 2006, 09:17 PM, said:

I dont think that the mother should be blamed for letting her kid go, on the pretence she was going on holiday. I think the big mistake her mother made was not checking the travel and accommodation plans. If she had done that, she would surely have descovered that it was all a ruse.

I have to totally agree with you on this....

I would check details like that.  Just because your child has never lied before does not mean that they won't.  But where did this girl get the money for the trip?  Did the guy send it to her or what?  

I do check on details  for my own child and that is just with sleepovers with the little girl around the corner...who we don't deal with for the reason which I give under the next quote...

I want to know who is going or going to be there...what they are doing..etc

Unfortunately parents do need to check up on what their kids are doing online.  Just having the computer in a common area...like the family room, living room, wherever can stop some of the late night, secretive online activity.

The girl did act irresponsibly.  But online predators seduce these kids into believing they are their one true love, their soulmate when all they want is sex.  

As for what I said above about not letting my daughter sleepover or hang out at the little girl around the corner's house(let's call her K).....I found out thru my daughter that K was going online and Iming and chatting with guys---while posing as a 15 yr old (she's only 11)  There is no parental supervision over there most of the time.  (my daughter does not get to sleepover or play there when the parents are not there)  

When I told the parents what their child was doing, they got mad at me....not my fault that she was doing it or that my child feels comfortable enough (at this point anyway) to tell me stuff like this.  So my daughter became the trouble make in their eyes.

Wonder if they will feel like that when she runs away to meet one of these guys?  And it will happen if they don't change things

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#8 Tricia

Tricia

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 04:39 PM

View PostLORD of the SWORD, on Jun 10 2006, 09:21 PM, said:

View PostMuseZack, on Jun 10 2006, 05:10 PM, said:

Perhaps after 911 the rules for going to canada changed, not sure. But I've been to canada, drove across the border. Didn't need a passport, just a driver's license.

I think that's the way it is at the moment....but I did hear something on the news this past week  that passparts will soom be required to go to Canada

As for the parents allowing it....Guess this just goes to show some people know how to be good parents, some don't. Allowing a 16 year old to go to another country without adult supervision is stupid in the extreme.

Should parents who live on the mexico border allow their children to go across? Without adult supervision?

Allowing your child to go without making sure of the arrangements or who the other people involved are is irresponsible....like I said, just because your child has not lied before does not mean they aren't now.

And good grief.....have you heard some of the stuff that goes on in Mexican border towns?  On both sides of the border?  No way.....and not even if they did have adult supervision.

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#9 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 05:58 PM

So far, people seem to be talking about what is, to me, the least interesting part of this. I was expecting people to be talking about what someone is thinking when (s)he runs off to be with an internet profile, or how the U.S. officials in Jordan met her at all and then found out what she was doing, or why she even COULD be talked out of it by those strangers after having already been determined enough to go so far (and hiding it, which indicates that she already knew what normal people would think and say anyway), or whether there might be a psychological connection between this sudden outburst of rebelliousness/irresponsibility and her prior record which some people might call too perfect/obedient/restrained...

To go with the first one for a moment (what people are thinking when they run off to be with an internet profile)... it seems like all of the stories we hear about this happening are about girls/women being the ones doing it. Is that a real aspect of the phenomenon, or an artifact of news reporting and story spreading? And does this syndrome have a name yet, which could be used to search for psychological articles on it?

#10 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 06:28 PM

View PostLORD of the SWORD, on Jun 10 2006, 10:21 PM, said:

Are you calling my parents bad parents Lots?

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#11 Tricia

Tricia

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 06:43 PM

View PostDelvo, on Jun 10 2006, 10:58 PM, said:

To go with the first one for a moment (what people are thinking when they run off to be with an internet profile)... it seems like all of the stories we hear about this happening are about girls/women being the ones doing it. Is that a real aspect of the phenomenon, or an artifact of news reporting and story spreading? And does this syndrome have a name yet, which could be used to search for psychological articles on it?

I've heard of some boys doing it too....

In at least one case, the women or men involved came to them as opposed to the boy running off to meet them. So not sure if that is a difference in these cases.  Or maybe the boys just don't tell?  Possibly due to the nature of the encounters they may have?

I haven't heard of it being a named syndrome....yet.  But I could be wrong.

AS for why....the internet predator seduces the child with understanding, praise etc....all the things that a person--especially a teen (and we all know how difficult those years can be)---wants/needs to hear.  Eventually this internet/friend has weaseled their way into becoming their best friend/soulmate.  And eventually they 'MUST' meet---this usually being instigated by the predator.

As to the rest of the story....how this girl financed this trip, why the US officials knew about her in Jordan, etc.....I don't see the answers in this article

Edited by trikay, 10 June 2006 - 06:50 PM.

#12 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 07:10 PM

View PostGodeskian, on Jun 10 2006, 07:28 PM, said:

Are you calling my parents bad parents Lots?

What? Where did you hear me say that? I never said your parents...I DID say that parents who allow a 16 year old to go to another country without adult supervision are stupid. And that is my opinion. I'll admend it to what trikay said about not checking the arraignments...but that's as far as I'll admend it.

#13 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 09:45 PM

^ maybe his parents allowed him to go abroad when he was 16?  i'm guessing that's why he brought that up.

Gode, if i'm correct, did they or did they not know where you were going and with whom?  i'm sure they did.

stupid airhead girl and stupid parents.  especially stupid parents.  they parent crappily then whine about how it's everyone's fault but their own.

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#14 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,632 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 10:03 PM

Just to clarify things: since 9/11 you have to have a copy of your birth certificate to go to Canada from the US and I believe by 2008 everyone is being required to have a passport.  When I went to Vancouver last March, most Americans were showing passports.

It's not gettng her a passport that was stupid, it was not checking up with the parents of the friends she was supposedly going with, checking out the hotel she would supposedly stay in, etc.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#15 Tricia

Tricia

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 10:13 PM

The important question theses parents did not ask...and that I would have....

The names of the friends she was planning on going with.
Whether there would be adults...preferably the friends parents...going with them
Contact numbers to reach her at, in case of emergency.
Where they were going and who or where they were planning on staying
Too many other questions to ask that I did not mention.

Maybe I'm obsessing much but the #1 question after what her parents were thinking is about the funds necessary to make this trip and where they came from. I don't really know how much it would cost for airfare for this trip but it's got to be a considerable sum.  Did she have a credit card provided by the parents, money saved.....or did this man she was going to see buy her ticket.  For some reason this question in particular bothers me.

there are a whole lot of questions about this that bother me

Edited by trikay, 10 June 2006 - 10:13 PM.

#16 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 12:58 AM

View PostCardie, on Jun 11 2006, 03:03 AM, said:

Just to clarify things: since 9/11 you have to have a copy of your birth certificate to go to Canada from the US and I believe by 2008 everyone is being required to have a passport.

We must have had a lazy person, then; in November 2003 we all went through Port Huron without... well, I don't think we had to show much of anything.  He asked if we had plants or animals, verified that everyone looked kind of healthy, and waved us through.  

I'm kind of curious about the cost, too, as well as the passport thing; if the parents have lived in Michigan for any length of time, I'd expect them to say 'you don't need a passport to go to Canada' when asked.  It's certainly why classmates and coworkers have discussed the joys of going to Windsor. ;)

To be honest, I find that level of... flexibility?  freedom? in a parent hard to understand.
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#17 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 03:56 AM

View PostCheile, on Jun 11 2006, 03:45 AM, said:

^ maybe his parents allowed him to go abroad when he was 16?  i'm guessing that's why he brought that up.

Gode, if i'm correct, did they or did they not know where you were going and with whom?  i'm sure they did.

They did indeed allow me to go from Holland to France, unsupervised at the age of 16. And yes Cheile, they did kow where I was, and with whom I was going, and there was a deal that every evening i'd call home to check in, but nonetheless, they did allow me to travel to a major metropolis, in another nation at the age of 16.

LotS,

What? Where did you hear me say that? I never said your parents...I DID say that parents who allow a 16 year old to go to another country without adult supervision are stupid

You said

As for the parents allowing it....Guess this just goes to show some people know how to be good parents, some don't

I dispute that it is as simple as proclaiming all parents to be bad parents if they allow trips like that. As with most things, circumstances do matter. There is a vast difference between a 16 year old running off to meet an internet friend without their parents full understanding, and a well planned and executed vacation which looking back was far more supervised that I realised at the time.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#18 Tricia

Tricia

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 08:02 AM

View PostGodeskian, on Jun 11 2006, 08:56 AM, said:

View PostCheile, on Jun 11 2006, 03:45 AM, said:

They did indeed allow me to go from Holland to France, unsupervised at the age of 16. And yes Cheile, they did kow where I was, and with whom I was going, and there was a deal that every evening i'd call home to check in, but nonetheless, they did allow me to travel to a major metropolis, in another nation at the age of 16.

As for the parents allowing it....Guess this just goes to show some people know how to be good parents, some don't

I dispute that it is as simple as proclaiming all parents to be bad parents if they allow trips like that. As with most things, circumstances do matter. There is a vast difference between a 16 year old running off to meet an internet friend without their parents full understanding, and a well planned and executed vacation which looking back was far more supervised that I realised at the time.

But with you telling this , we now know that your parents were good parents.  They knew who you were going with and where.  No doubt they talked with that person or an adult, maybe even without you knowing.

You had to check in with them. And you must have been a fairly responsible person.

It's all in the details.  LotS may have made a generalization as every case is different and unless you know all the details of each case......

But this girl's parents trusted her and did not check on all the little details.  I think we all would feel better (or more understanding) knowing that they checked on details and maybe someone else lied for her about the trip to her parents.  Not that they didn't check with anyone.

I trust my child and tho she is too young to take trips like that.....well, maybe I should clarify that.  Our school (and it is a public school) had the her class go on an overnight field trip to an environmental camp (they studied life around a small lake during the various times of the day).  It was a school trip with all the paperwork/release forms that had to be signed and returned.  But before I would sign them, I talked to teachers, other moms, people at the camp.  She went, she had a good time, and she learned things about nature, ecosystems, etc. But I felt better knowing that I checked into the details

Edited by trikay, 11 June 2006 - 08:03 AM.

#19 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 08:14 AM

The article linked to says she told her parents

she was going to Canada with friends
. They lived 80 miles north of Detroit which I'm pretty sure is close to Canada. No where does it say this "trip" was going to be an overnighter. Her parents could easily have been expecting a day trip. So saying they were not good parents because they didn't know where she was going to be staying, etc. here could easily be moot.

Actually, it seems like they were on it almost immediately. She didn't even get to the guy and the US embassy had contact with her. How did that happen unless the parents realized "Hey she hasn't come home from an expected day trip where is she?" So I'm more inclined to believe these parents were on the ball.

I'm also noticing it was mentioned the age of consent iin Michigan is 16 and this girl is almost 17. So as they said in the article the kid probably did nothing wrong legally. My sense is that most EI members would be in agreement with that age of consent. So why are so many people here all over the parents in this case?
The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#20 Tricia

Tricia

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 08:52 AM

^^^I think that is because despite this girl being the age of consent in her home state....we still tend to think of her as being of an age where the parents need to protect her.  

I know 16 yr olds think they are all grown up but that fact/idea varies depending on the individual.  And legally they are not considered to be adults until age 18

There are too many things that we do not know about this case as told in the article linked in the first post.

No where does it say that the US Embassy met her because the parents called. From that article we have no idea WHY the US Embassy was involved.  Not sure if that was because the reporter(s) were not given that info or because the reporter(s) did not do a good job in their writing.  

In fact, said article brings up more unanswered questions than it actually answers.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Children, Parenting, Internet, My Space, 2006

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users