Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

My Space teen intercepted on her way to Jordan.

Children Parenting Internet My Space 2006

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 04:39 PM

View PostAnastashia, on Jun 20 2006, 03:32 PM, said:

Since it seems like her parents are continuing to allow her to be in contact with him then if they are meant to be together they can certainly wait a while.

OK, these parents are definately weird! Granted a 20 year old going with a 16 almost 17 year old isn't too bad...but this is the guy who convinced her to lie to her parents, and then convinced her to try and go to another country...in the middle east no less. Why the parents are allowing her to continue the relationship is beyond me.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#42 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 05:20 PM

Actually LotS we have no idea if he said word one to her about lieing to her parents and coming to him...

For all we know he could have been 'useing ' her to get his green card by marrying an American...
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#43 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 05:24 PM

View PostShalamar, on Jun 20 2006, 06:20 PM, said:

Actually LotS we have no idea if he said word one to her about lieing to her parents and coming to him...

For all we know he could have been 'useing ' her to get his green card by marrying an American...

Good points. Hadn't considered it might've been her idea to lie to them. Either way though, it doesn't speak well for the intelligence of the parents to allow such a relationship to continue...
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#44 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 01:31 PM

Here's an update: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13441807/

Ok, this is a little extreme...even for me.

#45 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 06:29 PM

One good thing I can say about what they are doing with taking away her passport---

Reene said that in court, Lester had a positive attitude and appeared to be receptive to the efforts to help her. Counselors will explain to her the impact of leaving the country and talk about the different culture she would face in the West Bank, Reene said.

“There are so many things she needs to fully understand,” he said. “We want to take every available step to inform her, give her the opportunity to make the best decision.”

She may think she is in love---heck, who am i to judge, maybe she is in love---but the realities of the situation she was getting herself into---marriage, religious conversion, a whole different way of life (if they even stayed in Jericho) ...

She might have soon discovered, too late, that she got a whole lot more than she bargained for.

Edited by trikay, 21 June 2006 - 07:03 PM.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#46 Broph

Broph
  • Islander
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 06:37 PM

I just have to say it. Every time I read the subject line of this thread, I think to myself "when did LOTS get a Space teen?"

#47 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 07:02 PM

:howling:

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#48 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 08:06 PM

View PostLORD of the SWORD, on Jun 10 2006, 02:24 PM, said:

View PostSchmokie_Dragon, on Jun 10 2006, 05:17 PM, said:

But as for letting her kid go on the internet? What kind of a world do we live in where parents are expected the supervise the internet use of 16 year olds? The kid was an idiot and she sould take responsibility for that idiocy.

Agreed the kid is an idiot. But IMO so is the mother. In today's world parents should be aware of what their kids are doing online. In order to protect their child, which is their job, they NEED TO KNOW WHAT THEIR KIDS ARE DOING ONLINE!

Especially with all the stories in the media about child predators online...the dateline "to catch a predator" series comes to mind.

And especially now that parents can get their own MYSPACE.COM that lets them monitor their kids' sites.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#49 veganmom

veganmom
  • Islander
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 01:01 PM

The family was on one of the morning talk shows this morning. They're letting her continue to talk to him. She wouldn't answer a question on whether she was still considering converting to Islam. They're saying HE can come HERE.
But from my really old folks' perspective (and remembering what it was like to be 16), the really sad/silly (sorry!) part was watching her declarations of True Love and they'll be Together Forever and she LOOOOOOves him and her parents saying it's best to allow them to get together.
I mean, not to insult every 16-year-old with perspective, but I remember just KNOOOOOOWING that this was TRUUUUUUE LOOOOOOVE when I was that age, too.  I'd love a check-in about 5 years from now, or even about 3 months after he arrives in the States (if he really comes...)
Not to be cynical, but.... SHEESH.

The parents did say that MySpace.com helped track her down.
Still have my concerns over how she got that far.

I only caught the end of the interview, but my impression, too, was that the parents were divorced and they were talking about how it's important to communicate about what's going on in the other house, consistent rules, etc.

#50 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 01:23 PM

View Postveganmom, on Jun 23 2006, 02:01 PM, said:

They're saying HE can come HERE.

And this is exactly why these parents are now the poster couple for "Bad parents"

#51 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 08:47 PM

MySpace teen aims to marry Mideast man

GILFORD, Mich. - A teenager who flew to the Middle East to be with a man she met on MySpace.com said Friday she intends to marry him.

“I love him very much,” 17-year-old Katherine Lester said of Abdullah Jimzawi, 20, who works in his father’s business delivering goods to West Bank convenience stores.

Lester appeared on ABC-TV’s “Good Morning America” with her father and stepmother. Jimzawi also spoke with ABC during a taped portion of the segment, describing how the pair “can’t live without each other.”

Jimzawi has told The Associated Press that the two planned to marry and that Lester planned to convert to Islam. Lester, a Christian, declined to say Friday whether she intended to convert.

The two have resumed communication online since she returned home.

“Our initial reaction was to isolate her, to lock her up and just keep her safe here in America,” said her father, Terry Lester. “But that’s unrealistic because you can see the love they have for each other.”
These folks need to do some research on what happens to starry eyed Western women who marry Middle Eastern men, then decide maybe they made a mistake.  I hope that Not Without My Daughter Part 2020 or Hindsight is Best Sight is not in her future.   :blink:  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#52 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 09:12 PM

Yep Nonny I have similar concerns, especially with their ages and what that says statistically about their chance of having a long-term marriage. Not Without My Daughter, definitely a scary scenario.
The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#53 WildChildCait

WildChildCait

And from the ashes of fire, she is reborn

• Islander
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 01:40 AM

yes, but better to let him come over htere and see what she would expect, and the parents to keep some control, than for them totoally to forbid contact and risk her rebelling in a more serious way.

its damage control, not ideal
RIP Ruby Medallion: 31-10-1999/21-05-2007
one gender-reassigned, world travelling, world class snake.

FKA Chaddee, amongst other things.
http://scentedalchemy.webs.com Custom handmade bath and body products

#54 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 01:45 AM

View PostChaddee, on Jun 24 2006, 02:40 AM, said:

yes, but better to let him come over htere and see what she would expect, and the parents to keep some control, than for them totoally to forbid contact and risk her rebelling in a more serious way.

And all that would do would be a waste of time...He'll naturally play nice and innocent...until he gets her over there, and under his complete control. He could very well be a nice person, and if that's the case...my bad....but it's certainly not worth the risk.

its damage control, not ideal

Have to disagree. Damage control is showing her exactly what life is like for women over there. And, since she's of legal age, if she still insists on going...She made her bed. Perhaps it's a good thing the courts took her passport afterall.

#55 Raina

Raina

Cpt. Raina 'Starlee'

• Validation Team
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 02:49 AM

I still can't comprehend how someone can so firmly believe that they're in love with someone that they've known for seven months and have never, ever seen face-to-face.

:unsure:

"First thing they tell you is to assume you're already dead... dead men don't get scared or freeze up under fire. Me, I'm just worried that hell's gonna be a lonely place. And I'm gonna fill it up with every toaster son of a bitch I find." -Racetrack

"I believe what goes around comes around and if I am the instrument of 'coming round' then I'll do it happily. " -Shal

Viper Squadron CAG
Roman Warrior
Browncoat

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Children, Parenting, Internet, My Space, 2006

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users