What is IPv6 protocol driver?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Airhead

Airhead
  • Islander
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 10:11 AM

Okay, firstly, I screwed up the other day and accidentally deleted some components of Windows.  Since then, I reinstalled them from the WinXP (media center edition) disc.  And there's also been a Windows update installed.  Now my firewall keeps telling me that IPv6 protocol driver - tcpip.sys - is being contacted from 192.168.2.1

Help!     :blink:  :eh:

#2 Shadowfire

Shadowfire

I am a guy lol!!!

• Dead account
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 12:11 PM

Sounds like your firewall is picking up requests of some sort from a network hub, I don't have much experience with XP MCE though.

Are you on a home network of some kind?

*awaits the arrival of more knowledgeable folk*

Edited by Shadowfire, 22 June 2006 - 12:18 PM.

PROUD STUDENT OF SHEFFIELD HALLAM UNVERSITY

View PostRobL, on Jul 20 2009, 06:35 PM, said:

Every time I see a political thread I fondle myself just a little bit.............

'I honestly cannot justify that. You see, advertising isn't an art. Appealing to the English? Use someone from Hollyoaks and diss United. Scots? Talk about how evil Thatcher was. SNP is awesome etc. Americans? Well they be thick as sh*t so short sentences and shiny things and some Jesus helps too.. French and Germans? Talk about the war. Irish? f*ck that we can't sell sh*t in Ireland. That's frankly how it all works. So what I'm trying to say is that I'm happy you're dumping all this cash into advertising... I honestly don't see what you want me to do with it.  And also, that blip in the records in June was me buying monitors.-- never ask me to be 'brutally honest' about a budget.

You of course realise that anything you post here is comprised of ASCII characters? Each character is 7 bits with a parity bit making 8... I guess that's fairly meaningless to you which is actually the point. At most your sentence is a few kilobytes and considering I'm doing a file transfer of over a billion bytes right now those bytes making up your words are invisible with their insignificance, which is exact what I think of your post. Insignificant.

#3 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 01:59 PM

192.168.xxx.xxx is usually an IP address associated with a router on a home network. Most routers designed for home use come with a default IP address of that form. IPv4 is version 4 of the Internet Protocol and uses a 32-bit address (often written as xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx where x is a decimal number). IPv4 is currently in widespread use. IPv6 is version 6 of the Internet Protocol, is not yet in widespread use, will eventually replace IPv4, and will be the second version of the Internet Protocol to be adopted for the general public. Unlike IPv4, IPv6 uses a 128-bit address (written as xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx, where the x is a hexadecimal number).

I'm not sure why your firewall would be freaking over the IPv6 driver, but if you're on a home network then the IP address you mentioned is probably your router. As far as I know, allowing the IPv6 driver to access that IP address shouldn't be a problem. But networking and network security really aren't my areas of expertise.

Edited by NeuralClone, 22 June 2006 - 07:27 PM.

"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#4 Airhead

Airhead
  • Islander
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 04:15 PM

Thanks for your replies, folks.  I did wonder about the router, but I don't recall ever seeing this particular process before.

It could be that I added something that wasn't there before when I reinstalled the things I had accidentally deleted.  I couldn't remember if the 'networking services' box was originally checked or not, so I checked it.  But I still had access to my ISP services without it.  However, I'm wary about deleting it without knowing for sure.

#5 rampatter

rampatter
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 02:54 AM

IPv6 Address

IPv6 increases the number of IP addresses available and improves IPv4's routing and network auto-configuration abilities. An IPv6 address consists of 128 bits (16x8 = 128). It uses eight sets of four hexadecimal addresses (16 bits in each set) , separated by a colon (:) . Its look like, xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx (x would be a hexadecimal value).
Ex: 2001:cdba:0000:0000:0000:0000:3257:9652

IPv6 includes the capabilities of IPv4 and any server that can support IPv6 packets can also support IPv4 packets.

More about....IP Address

Patter

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users