22 replies to this topic

#1 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 07:25 AM

Spoilers

When the Tardis lands in 2012, the Doctor plans to show Rose the London Olympics. But on a nearby housing estate, a desperate mother is hiding her daughter's unearthly powers. Can the Doctor defeat the danger nestling at the heart of an ordinary British household? David Tennant plays the Doctor, Billie Piper plays Rose, Edna Doré plays Maeve and Nina Sosanya plays Trish.

The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#2 Chakoteya

Chakoteya

Playing Devil's Advocate

• Islander
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 10:53 AM

Yet another London-based story.

This is all very 'Jon Pertwee'.

Did you know that it was only in 1970 and Jon Pertwee that the producers finally started to build the 'alternate reality' mythos of Who, with UNIT?
Andromeda, Star Trek (all shows) and Doctor Who franchise episode transcripts.

Just because I didn't post a reply doesn't mean I wasn't tempted to.

#3 Crazy 'Scaper

Crazy 'Scaper
  • Islander
  • 217 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 12:02 PM

View PostChakoteya, on Jun 24 2006, 04:53 PM, said:

This is all very 'Jon Pertwee'.

Did you know that it was only in 1970 and Jon Pertwee that the producers finally started to build the 'alternate reality' mythos of Who, with UNIT?

Strictly speaking, I'm not sure I'd agree with that. We really saw that start of this in 1967 (Season 5) with "The Abominable Snowmen" which then led directly to "Web of Fear" and then to Season 6's "The Invasion". Each of those stories referred back, indeed depended upon, the events of their predecesor, had recurring characters and, of course, saw the birth of UNIT.

#4 bishop37

bishop37
  • Islander
  • 853 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 02:45 PM

Posted Image

In which the Doctor lets slip a piece of information about himself and Rose has to save the day.

This was minimalist Who without the whizz and the bang and 90 per cent of the time relying on the story (by Life On Mars' Matthew Graham), direction and performances, and mostly it works – though the end I thought was a little rushed.

3/5
"In a distant galaxy, twelve planets bearing tribes of the race known as Man have been at war with an alien cyborg race, the Cylon Empire, for a millennium. In the measurements used by the Twelve Colonies it is the Yahren 7341, and a treaty of peace is to be signed - a treaty that proves to be a ruse for the largest assault in the history of galactic warfare. With their defending warships destroyed and their homeworld annihilated, the Twelve Tribes gather to their one remaining warship, a battlestar named the Galactica, boarding every assorted star vehicle that will carry them, as their leader, Commander Adama, seeks out the one planet that will protect Man from the predation of the Cylon Empire - a planet called Earth. As their journey proceeds this fugitive fleet is closely pursued by forces of the Cylon Empire under the command of human traitor Baltar."

#5 Crazy 'Scaper

Crazy 'Scaper
  • Islander
  • 217 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 02:58 PM

View Postbishop37, on Jun 24 2006, 08:45 PM, said:

In which the Doctor lets slip a piece of information about himself and Rose has to save the day.

I didn't find Rose as irritating in this episode as I have in a lot of recent ones but I am pretty tired of her saving the day again.

The revelation that the Doc had been a father was hardly earth-shattering given that we first found out that he had a grand-daughter, oh, about 43 years ago. I would have expected more of a reaction from Rose at that point though.

This was minimalist Who without the whizz and the bang and 90 per cent of the time relying on the story (by Life On Mars' Matthew Graham), direction and performances, and mostly it works – though the end I thought was a little rushed.

Much better than last week's (which I thought was absolutely dire) but there were still more misses and hits with this one. I think that there was a good idea in there, I just feel that the finished product didn't work. It actually felt more like an episode of the Twilight Zone or the Outer Limits than Doctor Who.

And the trailer for next week looks very impressive. I've high hopes for the finale.

#6 Aurelius

Aurelius

Master of the Empire

• Islander
  • 803 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 04:54 PM

I enjoyed it. The only thing I disliked was the choice of using a hushed child's voice for the entity. It just didn't work for me.
A more alien voice would have worked better.

The trailer for next week looks brilliant!!!  I'm thoroughly loving this series

BTW, on a related note, does anyone know where I can download the theme music for the current series. It sends shivers down my spine everytime I hear it!!

Aurelius
"If I had all the answers, I'd run for God"
Cpl. Max Klinger, M*A*S*H

#7 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 04:59 PM

View PostAurelius, on Jun 24 2006, 05:54 PM, said:

BTW, on a related note, does anyone know where I can download the theme music for the current series. It sends shivers down my spine everytime I hear it!!

Aurelius

You might be able to find it here, but I don't know if it's the newly updated theme with the restored music.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/sounds/
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#8 Smitty

Smitty

"If I knew what was going on I'd really be indignant.&q

• Islander
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 10:54 PM

Aurelius try here.

http://www.drwhoguide.com/who.htm

Go to the bottom of the page, there's a gathering of icons which access mp3s of the various themes.

-cs™

#9 foborg

foborg
  • Islander
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 12:11 PM

This episode went from bad to worse...

Here's a direct link to the song at the page Smitty suggested:

Edited by foborg, 25 June 2006 - 12:23 PM.

Please don't spoil future episodes, even if they've been previewed.

#10 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 01:46 PM

Wasn't impressed by the episode, but it wasn't bad either. For a second I thought the alien was going to be a Gelf.

And that trailer for next week, holy crap that looks like it's either going to be Fantastic, or very very bad.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#11 Chakoteya

Chakoteya

Playing Devil's Advocate

• Islander
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 02:23 PM

It started out as a classic Sapphire and Steel story and ended up as ST-TNG mush....

Dame Kelly Holmes Close. Well there probably will be several around by 2012.

#12 Purple Haze

Purple Haze

SSBBS 2000 - 2006 EI

• Islander
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 02:56 PM

This episode was OK.

LOL @ when the Tardis appears just after the opening credits and then the bit with the  Doctor going on and on about crunchy ball bearings.  :lol:

#13 Purple Haze

Purple Haze

SSBBS 2000 - 2006 EI

• Islander
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 08:06 PM

...... also LOL @ when the Doctor makes a certain hand sign, you'll instantly recognize it when you see it.  :D

#14 Mooky

Mooky

Self-REbanned

• Islander
  • 8,673 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 08:17 PM

View PostGabriel, on Jun 25 2006, 02:56 PM, said:

This episode was OK.

LOL @ when the Tardis appears just after the opening credits...

Yeah, it materializes between the two dumpers, the Doctor peeks out and (I guess) decides it needs to be a fraction of a centimeter over, so he de-materializes, and then re-materializes. :lol:

It's like...parallel parking the TARDIS. :lol:

Also cool whenI did the Vulcan hand gesture. :cool:

Edited by Drax, 25 June 2006 - 08:19 PM.

#15 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 08:31 PM

View PostDrax, on Jun 25 2006, 09:17 PM, said:

View PostGabriel, on Jun 25 2006, 02:56 PM, said:

This episode was OK.

LOL @ when the Tardis appears just after the opening credits...

Yeah, it materializes between the two dumpers, the Doctor peeks out and (I guess) decides it needs to be a fraction of a centimeter over, so he de-materializes, and then re-materializes. :lol:

It's like...parallel parking the TARDIS. :lol:

Also cool whenI did the Vulcan hand gesture. :cool:

You can't be too careful around those wheelie dust bins as Mickey found out.  :lol:

#16 Chakoteya

Chakoteya

Playing Devil's Advocate

• Islander
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 06:28 AM

Actually, he had to turn the TARDIS 90 degrees because he couldn't get out!

I never cease to be amused at the contradiction between the old days when it would land whereever it wanted to, and the times when the plot required nano-second precision. :D

#17 Purple Haze

Purple Haze

SSBBS 2000 - 2006 EI

• Islander
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 01:29 PM

View PostChakoteya, on Jun 26 2006, 04:28 AM, said:

That's it, after the Tardis first appears the Doctor tries to open the door and it only opens far enough for him to stick his head out and have a look around and then he  gives it another go, it's only a small bit but I was LMAO!  :lol:

#18 Mooky

Mooky

Self-REbanned

• Islander
  • 8,673 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 01:43 PM

View PostChakoteya, on Jun 26 2006, 06:28 AM, said:

You're right, I just watched that bit again.   I was looking at the words "Police Box" last time.  Forgot that it's on all 4 sides.

Jolly good laugh...ripping, in fact. :lol:

#19 foborg

foborg
  • Islander
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 03:13 PM

What was up with that runner in the end, btw? Why did he collapse? No one felt bad for him that he missed his big moment?

Edited by foborg, 26 June 2006 - 03:14 PM.

Please don't spoil future episodes, even if they've been previewed.

#20 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 07:21 PM

The overnight ratings are in.  :cool:

http://www.gallifrey...EFpElFEqRfhGYmB

Despite another day of fine weather in the UK, last night's Fear Her saw an increase in audience figures to 6.64 million viewers, up from last week's 6.22 million for "Love & Monsters", according to the unofficial overnights. The episode peaked at 7.1 million in its last quarter of an hour and 7.58 million in its final five minutes, and attracted an average share of 39.7% to comfortably win its timeslot against ITV1's Who Wants to be a Millionaire (3.6m, 21.4%). The end of the episode and the start of the following sports coverage saw 3.37m switch off BBC One. The World Cup football match that followed had an average audience of 8.1m, but its much higher peak audience and extra time appears to have carried over a large audience of 6.9m for the late-running lottery results, leaving Doctor Who in third place for the day. (It's likely that the final BARB figures will discount the lottery show, as it runs for less than 15 minutes, so Doctor Who may achieve second place for the day.) On the currently available overnight figures, "Fear Her" was in 14th place for the week across television; when ratings are in for Sunday's World Cup matches, the show will certainly slip down this chart one or two places, but a top 20 position stil looks very likely. Among under-16s, 61% of children and teenagers watching television in that timeslot were watching Doctor Who, amounting to 1.3m, against 145,000 who were watching Who Wants to be a Millionaire.

On BBC Three, the eleventh episode of Doctor Who Confidential at 7.45pm was watched by 500,700 (3.8%), making it the top-rated multichannel programme on Saturday, while Totally Doctor Who 11 last Thursday benefitted from the preceding football match to get its highest rating so far of 1.5m.

Better than last week.  :cool:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Doctor Who, Doctor Who: Series 2

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users