• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 10:39 AM

Because of what Mr. Buffet is doing, a whole lot of mothers in Africa, Asia, and Latin America are going to be able to hang mosquito nets over their childrens' beds and not have to watch them die of malaria, or get needed anti-retroviral drugs and be strong and healthy instead of wasting away from AIDS.  I could really care less whether he's motivated by goodness, self-aggrandizment, or something in between, and neither I suspect do the thousands of people whose lives will be saved by Buffet's philanthropy.
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#42 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 11:13 AM

Personally, if Buffet's giving away 80 percent of his fortune to charity, I don't care how much PR he gets or what his motives are. That's alot of money and yes, some of it will be wasted without a doubt but when ISN'T it wasted to a degree by whatever group is managing it? The idea of being able to directly hand out large chunks of money (aka...heroicFools suggestion) is a nice one but unless we alter the tax laws, isn't viable. So for me, I don't care if he's paying for past sins, or he's a shamless publicity hound or simply a man that wants to help others. Whatever the reason, that money (even with waste factored in) is STILL alot of money to help various charities, foundations etc....
Posted Image
Posted Image

#43 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 11:33 AM

The more I read about the Gates Foundation, the more impressed I am.

In addition to working to improve healthcare in developing nations, the other prong of the foundation targets education in the U.S.--specifically underachievement and drop-out rates in high schools.

I've worked in education for many years, and as a result I have little  faith in the bureaucracy's ability to assess itself and make necessary changes. If education in this country is going to made more effective, it will likely come from the kind of work that independent agencies like the Gates Foundation are doing.

http://www.gatesfoun...unce-060509.htm
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#44 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 01:17 PM

As for curing disease... hate to say it, but that's one of the things mother nature uses to keep populations from exploding. There will always be disease and there probably always should be.

And there will always be new ones popping up, which is why it'd be moronic to just let them go without trying to cure them as we can.

Cure bubonic plague?  Polio will come along.   Cure polio?  You've still got smallpox.  Cure smallpox?  Here comes AIDs.  Cure AIDS?  There'll be bird flu, ebola, etc. etc.   Disease mutate and change all the time, we will always be combatting them, and they will always be controlling the population.  But if we'd never cured some of them, we'd still be having to deal with all of them at once, and there probably wouldn't be any human race left.

As for Buffet, eh, he's probably no saint, and any plan anyone ever comes up with - no matter how sincere or well-intentioned - will be the subject of somebody's criticism.  And whatever his motives are, that money will still be helping people, so... cool.  

This is almost enough to make me forgive him for writing that stupid "Margaritaville" song* that I had to listen to over and over again back when I worked at the radio station. :)

Cheers,

Zwolf

* - Okay, I figured out I got my Buffets mixed up, so everything's totally copasetic now. **

** Okay, so I didn't really mix 'em up, I just like being obnoxious.  :)
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#45 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 12:41 PM

View PostZwolf666, on Jun 27 2006, 11:17 AM, said:

This is almost enough to make me forgive him for writing that stupid "Margaritaville" song* that I had to listen to over and over again back when I worked at the radio station. :)

Cheers,

Zwolf

* - Okay, I figured out I got my Buffets mixed up, so everything's totally copasetic now. **
Not copasetic with us Parrotheads, Z.  :p  

*Salt!  Salt!  Salt!*  

** Okay, so I didn't really mix 'em up, I just like being obnoxious.  :)
No, really?   :rolleyes:   ;)  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#46 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 12:58 PM

View PostQueenTiye, on Jun 27 2006, 07:52 AM, said:

There is no reason to assume Mr. Buffett is a saint.
There is for me, for him and for his late wife, Susan Thompson Buffet, now that I know about Catholics for a Free Choice.  :)  

Nonny
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#47 Broph

Broph
  • Islander
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 01:22 PM

View PostZwolf666, on Jun 27 2006, 06:17 PM, said:

Cure bubonic plague?  Polio will come along.   Cure polio?  You've still got smallpox.  Cure smallpox?  Here comes AIDs.  Cure AIDS?

AIDS is a virus. You know how many cures for viruses there are? None. You either heal from them or they kill you. If they find the cure for AIDS, it might be the key to curing a lot of viruses out there.

You're thinking of his nephew.

#48 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 08:32 AM

View PostBroph, on Jun 28 2006, 11:22 AM, said:

You're thinking of his nephew.
So that would make him the son of a sailor?  

Nonny
Posted Image

#49 Broph

Broph
  • Islander
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 09:26 AM

Whoops; I should have looked it up to confirm. Jimmy calls Warren "Uncle Warren" and Warren calls Jimmy "Cousin Jimmy". It's generally thought that they are distant cousins, but are not directly related in a known way.

#50 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 09:30 AM

View PostBroph, on Jun 29 2006, 07:26 AM, said:

Whoops; I should have looked it up to confirm. Jimmy calls Warren "Uncle Warren" and Warren calls Jimmy "Cousin Jimmy". It's generally thought that they are distant cousins, but are not directly related in a known way.
So he still could be the guy in "It's My Job"?   :)  

I should have a cheeseburger for lunch.   :)  :)  

Nonny
Posted Image

#51 hannahthewriter

hannahthewriter

Even Harper has bad days

• Islander
  • 3,445 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 03:21 AM

View PostHeroicFool, on Jun 25 2006, 09:07 PM, said:

Not at 200k a pop anonymously on the street.

Wouldn't even take all that long.
Yes, but considering the fact that in most big cities you can get mugged for the change in your pocket, it isn't hard to imagine what would happen if a homeless person walked around with 200k for more than five minutes.

View PostZwolf666, on Jun 27 2006, 07:17 PM, said:

As for curing disease... hate to say it, but that's one of the things mother nature uses to keep populations from exploding. There will always be disease and there probably always should be.

And there will always be new ones popping up, which is why it'd be moronic to just let them go without trying to cure them as we can.

Cure bubonic plague?  Polio will come along.   Cure polio?  You've still got smallpox.  Cure smallpox?  Here comes AIDs.  Cure AIDS?  There'll be bird flu, ebola, etc. etc.   Disease mutate and change all the time, we will always be combatting them, and they will always be controlling the population.  But if we'd never cured some of them, we'd still be having to deal with all of them at once, and there probably wouldn't be any human race left.
Called the Red Queen Phenomenon, one of the most annoying but logical elements of evolution. :p

View PostBroph, on Jun 28 2006, 07:22 PM, said:

View PostZwolf666, on Jun 27 2006, 06:17 PM, said:

Cure bubonic plague?  Polio will come along.   Cure polio?  You've still got smallpox.  Cure smallpox?  Here comes AIDs.  Cure AIDS?

AIDS is a virus. You know how many cures for viruses there are? None.
Yet. :)

Edited by hannahthewriter, 03 July 2006 - 03:22 AM.

Posted Image

#52 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 08:05 AM

View Posthannahthewriter, on Jul 3 2006, 08:21 AM, said:

View PostHeroicFool, on Jun 25 2006, 09:07 PM, said:

Not at 200k a pop anonymously on the street.

Wouldn't even take all that long.
Yes, but considering the fact that in most big cities you can get mugged for the change in your pocket, it isn't hard to imagine what would happen if a homeless person walked around with 200k for more than five minutes.

Not saying that some of the people who were suddenly handed $200 k would not spend it wisely but need we look any further than  recent history to find the alleged misuse of the FEMA and Red Cross funds by survivors of the hurricanes.  It was likely a small percentage overall but the misuse existed nonetheless.

I just have to commend Mr Buffet for making the effort.  It does not matter if it was truly the act of a kind soul or a man making up for past misdeeds or clearing his conscience as some have said here.

The money will be used to do good....and Bill and Melinda Gates have done a lot of good with their own money. So to put them in charge of distributing it where needed is wise.

I was discussing this with the people at the local library and found out that the computers there were a result of the Gates Foundation.  This is a poor community here and they would have had to have a lot of spaghetti suppers to buy these computers.  And these computers are a huge help to people who can not afford their own.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Warren Buffet, Charities, Gates Foundation, 2006

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users