2 replies to this topic

#1 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 12:34 AM

http://news.bbc.co.u...cas/5119760.stm

Health authorities in Washington DC are launching a pioneering scheme to promote HIV testing.
The authorities hope the scheme will lead to tests becoming routine across all health services in the District of Columbia from schools to hospitals.

It will target everyone aged between 14 and 84 and is thought to be the US's most aggressive such testing campaign.

Good for them.

The authorities are distributing 80,000 rapid testing kits which just use a mouth swab, not a blood test, and give results in 20 minutes.

I actually think this is a very good idea, because as a recent courtcase in the UK has shown, HIV can be spread very quickly if one has a licentious lifestyle.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#2 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 12:40 AM

View PostGodeskian, on Jun 28 2006, 01:34 AM, said:

because as a recent courtcase in the UK has shown, HIV can be spread very quickly if one has a licentious lifestyle.

Wow colored me surprised. People who have unprotected sex can get HIV. Damm we need a program to teach people to use protection. Maybe a program telling kids that if you are not wanting to use protection maybe it would be best if you did not have sex.

Think of what sucha program might be able to do. I wonder if we will ever have such a both program as well as social messages.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#3 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 12:47 AM

View PostG1223, on Jun 28 2006, 06:40 AM, said:

Wow colored me surprised. People who have unprotected sex can get HIV. Damm we need a program to teach people to use protection. Maybe a program telling kids that if you are not wanting to use protection maybe it would be best if you did not have sex.

Actually, in the courtcase in question, a woman who was infected by AIDS decided to spread the love by having unprotected sex with as many black men as she could as she blamed a black man for her own infection.

But I agree with you on both counts. Use protection if you're going to have sex with lots of people.

Think of what sucha program might be able to do. I wonder if we will ever have such a both program as well as social messages.

I hope so actually. One of the things I loved about growing up in Holland was that they took it as a fait accompli that teenagers and young adults would have sex sooner or later, so they spent a lot of time teaching us how to have sex safely.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Public Health, HIV awareness, Washington, 2006

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users