• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Lover of Purple

Lover of Purple

Mustang Man

• Retired Board Owner
  • 11,215 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 11:04 AM

I demand that this Westboro "Baptist Church" change their name. There is nothing Christian about these hate filled animals.

Our local paper had a brief blurb about these people coming here to protest at Pfc. Thomas Tucker's Memorial Service and I was appalled and irritated. Thank goodness there wasn't much else in any other Oregon paper I could find so these &%$#*^%@( won't be getting as much coverage as they want. Out of curiosity I went to their website and was so appalled that I couldn't look around too much without feeling hate myself...toward them! And I hate feeling that way, so I left.

These kind of idiots are what gives good Christians a bad name. PLEASE, do not relate honest, Jesus loving Christians with these...these....well, I can't say it. They actually think it is great what the terrorists did to these men and claim it is justice.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

Okay, I had to get that off my chest. Thanks for letting me vent.

LoP

Edited by Lover of Purple, 29 June 2006 - 11:05 AM.

#2 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 11:07 AM

LoP: I demand that this Westboro "Baptist Church" change their name. There is nothing Christian about these hate filled animals.

Amen, brother!

And preach it. :)

I thought Bush recently signed some sort of order prohibiting this lunacy? Maybe the Phelpses can all get hauled off to the federal pen.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#3 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 11:11 AM

LoP, do you have any information about Tucker, his family?  I find it helps to learn something about the people targeted, and diminishes the haters, and that the local newsites are the best places to get it.  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#4 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 11:20 AM

Well we can hope that the law has taken effect and if so that hese folks get to enjoy the local jail and have a jury decide if they get to go to Shawshank.

Sad to say one hopes for a really horrible ill run jail to put such folks into. Mostly because a few decent guys might get put in who do not deserve to have to serve with these people.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#5 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 11:23 AM

It's no secret that I'm not a big fan of religions in general, but I definitely know that Phelps and his small inbred cadre of scumbags are in no way representative of any religion.  Phelps is like Bin Laden - a lunatic who wants personal power and has tried to use a perversion of an existing religion as a means to get it.  

Any time he gets brought up I put in this link so people can read up on the guy's history of child and spousal abuse, and possibly even murder.  

You've got my sympathies for having to put up with this guy and his clan coming to your area.  If you run into any of 'em, just remember, I'll help raise bail money for ya if you need it... :)

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#6 Bobby

Bobby

FKA LiberalBob

• Islander
  • 4,369 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 11:31 AM

So noted, LoP.   :)

#7 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 11:44 AM

Here's a link, along with contact information for his family if anyone wants to send them a card.

http://www.katu.com/...ry.asp?ID=87093
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#8 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 11:47 AM

Good Lord:

http://www.hattiesbu.../606230333/1014

How off the chart is this group? Here is what the church posted on its Web site after the bodies of captured U.S. Marines Pfc. Kristian Menchaca, 23, of Houston, and Pfc. Thomas L. Tucker, 25, of Madras, Ore., were found earlier this week. Both had been tortured to death and their bodies booby-trapped: "Thank God for the grisly deaths of Privates Thomas Tucker and Kristian Menchaca. They died at the hands of an angry God in His retaliatory wrath in punishing America for her violent persecution of Westboro Baptist Church for preaching the truth to America about her abominations. WBC will picket their funerals."

The church, which says "God is now America's terrorist," must think it has cornered the market on morality. In truth, though, it is an embarrassment to all religions.

#9 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 11:53 AM

I'm gonna hurl.   :blink:  :(  :angry:
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#10 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 12:09 PM

View PostNonny, on Jun 29 2006, 12:53 PM, said:

I'm gonna hurl.   :blink:  :(  :angry:

I know what you mean.

By the way, interesting information, Z. Phelps is clearly a very sick man, and his children have apparently become warped by having been raised by him. It's sad, really. Of course, my sympathy extends only so far. It stops when they picket funerals of "fags" and troops.

#11 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 12:47 PM

I'm starting to think that Phelps has "Koresh envy."  I think he's old and wants to go out in a "blaze of glory" like the Davidians - the method of their demise being the only reason anybody even remembers 'em.

Phelps is old, he's crazy, and he doesn't give a damn about his family or his followers or even the beliefs he claims to follow.  He just wants attention and some kind relevance.   Picking on gay people is already stupid and inflammatory enough, but the guy's branched out into starting websites called "godhatesamerica.com" and picketing the funerals of fallen servicemen.  That's pure, uncut craziness. That's just gotta be a death wish of some kind.  It's only a matter of time before somebody obliges him when he's courting it that hard...

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#12 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 01:23 PM

I think you're onto something, Z.  

Nonny
Posted Image

#13 ArdenCabbel

ArdenCabbel

S.L.o.P.

• Islander
  • 946 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 01:42 PM

I take after my father on this one.  The mere thought of such a disgrace to someone who gave there life for their country really infuriates me.  I demand as well that the church change their name.  I for one am a southern baptist and to hear the title baptist associated with these swine is an outrage.

This man is obviously insane.  The fact that he has a 'church' goes to show that the art of cult creation is still out there.........

If you will excuse me I must leave this thread for a while before I get 'warnable'...........
Posted Image

#14 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 02:15 PM

View PostArdenCabbel, on Jun 29 2006, 11:42 AM, said:

I take after my father on this one.  The mere thought of such a disgrace to someone who gave there life for their country really infuriates me.
Yeah, me too.  

I demand as well that the church change their name.  I for one am a southern baptist and to hear the title baptist associated with these swine is an outrage.
This is something you have an inside track on!  You can do something about this!  The more your church leaders hear church members' comments like yours, the likelier they'll do something.  

This man is obviously insane.  The fact that he has a 'church' goes to show that the art of cult creation is still out there.........
Yep.  

If you will excuse me I must leave this thread for a while before I get 'warnable'...........
{{{{{{{{{{{ArdenCabbel}}}}}}}}}}}

Understandable.  

Nonny
Posted Image

#15 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 02:57 PM

I do not understand why this .....I will be not call him what I really want to...man and his group are targeting this soldier in particular this time. Maybe they did not want to travel so far?  

How anyone claiming to be a man of God can spew such hatred and deliberately inflict so much pain on the families of fallen soldiers is beyond me.....

Pfc. Kristian Menchaca, who was killed with Pfc Tucker, was buried in Brownsville Tx yesterday.  Hundreds of people attended his funeral. People who did not know him.  Not one of those people protested anything.

The route was lined with firefighters and people clutching American flags and holding caps across their chest. Then they encircled the burial site beneath the modest shade offered by flanking oak trees.

As bells from a nearby church tolled at noon, Menchaca was laid to rest after Catholic and military burial rites. A pair of buglers played taps. Bagpipers offered Amazing Grace. The 101st Airborne Funeral Detachment fired a rifle salute.

As family members laid white roses on Menchaca's polished wooden casket, his widow leaned against it with both arms and wailed. Moments later, as the casket was lowered into the ground, his mother, Maria Vasquez, sobbed.

"Why my son?" she repeated again and again in Spanish. "No, no. My little son. Why? Why? Why?"

No mention or sign of Phelps being in Brownsville.  And i can not imagine someone who could do what Phelps and his groups do.  Especially not at a funeral.  I guess this is just another case of a rabid idiot.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#16 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 03:07 PM

Well, you CAN do something about it.  Even if you are not a biker dude, you can still join the "Patriot Guard".  All are welcome to join to fight this hateful crapola.  I'm a member, but sadly, I haven't been able to do my part yet.  :(
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#17 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 03:12 PM

There was the theat the group would appear at two service member funerals in Maine recently. They actually appeared at neither. The positive thing that did happen is that many people, who probably wouldn't have come, did. This includes a group that specifically comes to keep these fakes away from the funeral. So what's happening in some cases is the dead are getting even more positive attendance at their funerals than they might have. That's a good thing IMHO.

EDIT - Spidey snuck in on me, the Patriot Guard are the dudes that showed in both cases. They add even more honor for the dead just by being there.

Edited by Anastashia, 29 June 2006 - 03:15 PM.

The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#18 ArdenCabbel

ArdenCabbel

S.L.o.P.

• Islander
  • 946 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 06:29 PM

I have decided that actions like this cannot be left alone.

I wish to start an awareness campaign about this 'church'.

I made a blog entry on 'myspace' (as much as I hate the site), and would appreciate help in either getting people to read the blog or to pass the information about this along to people so that the populus is aware of this.  Here is the link (hope that this isn't violating EI rules, if so tell me and I will remove the link) My message .  Please forgive me if the blog sounds angry..... i am Furious.

Please note I am just want to raise awareness about the church.... nothing else.

Edited by ArdenCabbel, 29 June 2006 - 06:35 PM.

Posted Image

#19 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 06:42 PM

I hate, loathe and despise these people. If there is a second coming they're in for a might big surprise. :p :p
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#20 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 06:44 PM

View PostArdenCabbel, on Jun 29 2006, 04:29 PM, said:

I have decided that actions like this cannot be left alone.

I wish to start an awareness campaign about this 'church'.

I made a blog entry on 'myspace' (as much as I hate the site), and would appreciate help in either getting people to read the blog or to pass the information about this along to people so that the populus is aware of this.  Here is the link (hope that this isn't violating EI rules, if so tell me and I will remove the link) My message .  Please forgive me if the blog sounds angry..... i am Furious.

Please note I am just want to raise awareness about the church.... nothing else.

You forgot to add that the "abomination" is homosexuality, and that's why God is punishing dead soldiers. And that's why 9/11 happened. And that's why Katrina happened. This man is the worst homophobe I've ever seen....hmmmm, that puts me to wondering if maybe he himself has a little problem with a closet....  :devil:

Edited by Rhea, 29 June 2006 - 06:46 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Westboro Baptist Church, Religion, Fred Phelps, Christianity, 2006

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users