• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#21 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 07:24 PM

The whole point of BMI is to determine the percentage of body fat. While simple height and weigh ratios can give an idea the best measure is doen through the water immersion method.
The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#22 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 07:42 PM

A duck is a duck, and fat is fat.  Renaming it isn't going to change what it is.
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#23 Natolii

Natolii
  • Islander
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 08:20 AM

No, this whole push is be PC is because of doctors getting sued because they were telling their patients the truth.

Mine keeps encouraging me to lose weight BUT does not do more than telling me to knock off a couple of things. There needs to be support from the medical staff too, IMHO.

But, my failing was with soda. I'm not the healthiest of eaters, but snacks around the house consisted of different type of cheese and Triskets. I also like to grab ice cream without all the artifical stuff.

For the past week I've been off the soda entirely, instead drinking stuff like Kool-aid, Gatorade (Heat reasons) and Ice Water. Occassionally I'll have coffee...

In my area, my daughter tries to go outside with other kids, but after the last couple of times some of the kids decided to be cruel because she was different. Makeup and a fashion Magazine delivered as a peace offering to a 10-yr old tomboy is not my idea of making peace...
"I have on this board written pages and pages pointing out the science, and I will be dammed if I am going to attempt to reach closed minds that donít even know how to use a reference library." -emsparks (Fenton E. Magill, dec. 1/25/07 - Love you Dad)

#24 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 09:13 AM

^^^

My doctor too does not push the issue but he also does not make me feel bad by telling me the truth and telling me the consequences of my actions.  It's up to me to decide to folow his advice or not.  

Lawsuits over this kind of thing are silly.  Your doctor is supposed to advise you when there is a health problem or potential for further problems down the road based on current things he sees going on with your health. Liek I said....it's up to the person to make the changes....if they want to.  

Besides why should the doctor be sued over something that other kids are likely telling the child also?  

Natolii's example of how the other children were cruel to her child also shows that.

My daughter gets teased because she wears glasses and is smart.  

My nephew was overweight for his age and height until recently.  He hit a growth spurt and they moved to a rural area where the boy is running and working all day tending animals and other chores.  

But he was mercilessly picked on by other kids for several years because of his weight.  He did not need a doctor to tell him what the other kids did....

And some of those kids were heavier than he was.  Didn't matter to them as long as they could hurt someone else.

There is a huge difference between telling someone the truth about the dangers of excessive weight and trying to help them...if they are willing....to get healthy and stay healthy and just plain being cruel.  

I guess it is in the approach.  

BTW I hate to see kids being cruel to each other.  We all go thru some awkward phase or are just plain different from each other.  Picking on someone else in the cruel way that kids sometimes have does not make anything better and trying to coerce or bully someone into becoming what you want them to be is not right either.

Edited by trikay, 04 July 2006 - 09:15 AM.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#25 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 12:50 PM

Not to worry guys, apparently 1/3rd of the US population is now listed as being obese so I'm sure in short order the Fat Tax will be instituted. Tax fast foods, junk foods etc...I call it the Twinkie Tax and I'd estimate in the next couple years the government will start taxing the crap out of the stuff (for our own good of course) and the benefit of government coffers.

On a more serious note though. Have you noticed that the better the food is for you, the more expensive it is as well? A box of Little Debbies, $1.29 a bag of apples $2.99. Fresh fruits and veggies are alot more expensive than prepackaged snacks and the like. When the companies lower the fat contents in their foods, they raise the prices on it as well.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#26 Tricia

Tricia

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 02:33 PM

^^^

Very true Linne....

About the cost of healthy food being so much higher than junk food.

I've noticed that too.  Box of mac & cheese anywhere from 33 cents to $1....fresh cantaloupe or melon, unless on sale, $2.50-$4.  Tomatoes....I don't even know anymore as when the prices went up so high a few months ago I planted some cherry tomatoes and romas

But the stuff that is bad for you....mac&cheese, boxed dinners etc are relatively cheap.  So if you add in families that buy as much as they can for as little as they can, then you have the poor eating foods that will make them fat.

I helped out at the local pantry a few months back handing out groceries to help folks in need....except for a few cans of veggies it was all processed stuff.  So I am debating asking some friends who have fruit trees and always get tired of the fruit (they do not freeze or can either) to donate it instead of just letting it rot on the ground

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#27 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 07:54 PM

they need to lower the price of things like fresh produce....then maybe people will eat more of it.

stores also need to make sure that what they stock has a good shelf life.  i love to buy fresh strawberries but i get irritated because a brand new little basket "just put out" starts getting moldy in my fridge in three days.  sometimes it has happened overnight.  and sometimes half the basket is unusable from the start--either with bitter berries or bruised ones.  it makes me not want to waste my money, especially with the prices of strawberries these days.

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#28 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 08:07 PM

I've noticed that too. Box of mac & cheese anywhere from 33 cents to $1....fresh cantaloupe or melon, unless on sale, $2.50-$4. Tomatoes....I don't even know anymore as when the prices went up so high a few months ago I planted some cherry tomatoes and romas

But the stuff that is bad for you....mac&cheese, boxed dinners etc are relatively cheap. So if you add in families that buy as much as they can for as little as they can, then you have the poor eating foods that will make them fat.

Yep and alot of families simply can't afford the hike in their food budgets that the more expensive "good for you" items would create. Same with reduced fat food. Why on Earth do they often cost so much more than the regular product does?

I helped out at the local pantry a few months back handing out groceries to help folks in need....except for a few cans of veggies it was all processed stuff. So I am debating asking some friends who have fruit trees and always get tired of the fruit (they do not freeze or can either) to donate it instead of just letting it rot on the ground

That's an excellent idea! I'll bet the folks at the pantry would love it and really, it's such a waste to just let good fruit rot on the ground.

they need to lower the price of things like fresh produce....then maybe people will eat more of it.

Amen to that. I bought a bunch of fresh fruit to make a fruit salad (watermelon, catalope, strawberries, Kiwi and blueberries) it added a good 30 dollars to my food bill.

stores also need to make sure that what they stock has a good shelf life. i love to buy fresh strawberries but i get irritated because a brand new little basket "just put out" starts getting moldy in my fridge in three days. sometimes it has happened overnight. and sometimes half the basket is unusable from the start--either with bitter berries or bruised ones. it makes me not want to waste my money, especially with the prices of strawberries these days.

That's happened to me too many times as well. You end up pitching half of that pricey basket of strawberries because they're mushy (some are beginning to mold at the very bottom). Same thing with cherry tomato baskets.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#29 Tricia

Tricia

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 08:35 PM

I love to buy apples but my fave varieties don't come in the bags...at least around here.

$1.39-$1.79 a lb.  and you know it doesn't take but three or 4 to make a lb.

And I have to agree about the strawberries....I've had the half the basket rotten problem too.

I'm not sure why the foods that are bad for you are so much cheaper.  But they are.  Same thing with the convenience type foods too.  

I make a home cooked meal most every night.  Totally from scratch.

But I thought that came from growing up with a dad who was famous for pinching a penny so tight that it would turn into a nickel.  It wasn't him that accomplished that magic but my mom.  We had a large garden, keep chickens for eggs (they were what could be called free-range).  Everybody cooked or helped with meal prep.

I know everyone does not have the space to have a garden but there is something just so satisfying about cooking veggies you have grown yourself.  Getting your hands dirty and getting exercise while doing it.  

I've read about some cities or neighborhoods having community gardens.  Maybe that isn't such a bad idea.  The kids could get out there and learn about nature.  Raise their own produce.  Maybe they will learn to like to eat vegetables and fruits.  Learn to eat healthy.  

Hey, I can dream, can't I?

Edited by trikay, 04 July 2006 - 08:53 PM.

#30 Rhys

Rhys

... a learning experience.

• Islander
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 10:11 PM

View PostLin731, on Jul 4 2006, 09:07 PM, said:

Why on Earth do they often cost so much more than the regular product does?

Among other things, preservatives.  Food with preservatives lasts longer, is easier to transport, and you don't have to figure spoilage into the price (at least, not to the same extent).

If it's dry goods or canned, even better.  Frozen not quite as much (cost of stocking & transporting is higher if you have to keep it frozen), but better than fresh.

I wouldn't necessarily object to a tax on junk food, as I do consider them luxury items.  Even better if the tax goes to subsidizing the healthy food and/or health care (hopefully preventative).  Of course, I'm Canadian, so I'm more willing to accept such things. :)

Rhys
"It's easy to bond over hating something together - The Internet is total proof of that." Cyd/Codex, The Guild

Change the world!  No one can do everything, but everyone can do something.

#31 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 10:28 PM

My mother was one of those "don't leave the table until your plate is clean" and that's affected me to this day.  I still have a problem stopping when I'm full.  As long as the kid is eating some of everything on the plate, let them leave something!!

I do a lot of frozen veggies because I don't always use fresh veg while it's still good. I love asparagus but it's sure not cheap.  Still, those farmers need to eat and they're hiring illegals for the harvest now for cheaper workers, so I'm not sure how to get produce prices down.  It's not like you can mass produce the stuff in factories.

I'm hearing that kids don't walk to school any more because it's too dangerous...geez, at least I had that two-block back and forth each day.  My high school dropped PE for seniors, but until then I had some form of PE every day since first grade.  I hear that's changed, which is a mistake if true.   In college there was walking around the campus.  I grew up before fast food was everywhere, and I had a stay-at-home mom to fix meals and they were healthy overall without a lot of sweet deserts.  Pie or cake sometimes but often canned fruit - of course that had a lot of sugar, but no fat!  Things have sure changed since the days of stay-at-home moms.  

Fast food places are starting to offer healthier options.  You can do a lot with a rotisserie chicken and those are pretty cheap in all the markets.  Kroger now offers baked chicken pieces as well as fried, so maybe the message is starting to penetrate about healthier choices.  

I don't know what the exercise options are.  I'd have been at the computer if there had been an internet as a kid, but I'm not into games and the net isn't an hours-long thing and probably wouldn't have been then.  I spent most spare time reading - great for the mind but doesn't use many calories.    I hate heat and also burn. (The only exercise I've ever actually liked in summer is ice skating!  Or dance classes.  Cold rink, air conditioned studio!)  Most pools have no shade in the water area so not for me, but there are lots of community and neighborhood pools and swimming is good exercise for those who can be in the sun.  Bikes used to get kids around neighborhoods and to and from school - does that still happen or is that as "unsafe" as walking to school?   There seem to be a lot of "soccer moms" so some kids must be getting some exercise...

But yeah, call it what it is, don't pussyfoot.  Doctors need to make patients and their parents aware of the health dangers.  But they need to make sure they emphasize healthy weight, not movie-star or model weight.  The emphasis needs to be on health, not looks.  

Themis
Cats will never be extinct!

#32 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 10:54 PM

View PostThemis, on Jul 4 2006, 11:28 PM, said:

My mother was one of those "don't leave the table until your plate is clean" and that's affected me to this day.  I still have a problem stopping when I'm full.  As long as the kid is eating some of everything on the plate, let them leave something!!
I've always been mystified by that bizarre attitude by parents; I couldn't think of any possible reasons for it but that they're trying to force their kids to get fat when the kids' own bodies know better and are telling them how much is the right amount. But I think I finally figured it out: they think that if the kids aren't stuffed ready to pop then they'll just get hungry again sooner, and the parents want to deal with hungry kids and how to feed them as few times a day as possible... another example of kids' lives being fouled up for the parents' convenience.

Anyway, I just remembered that it wasn't much more than a decade ago, and I think less, that they moved downward all of the BMI boundaries between classes like "normal" and "mildly obese" and "morbidly obese". This resulted in many people getting bumped up a class without their weight changing, because the definitions had changed, and newspapers and TV stations all over the country reported on the shocking sudden surge in obesity (of course, without mentioning the actual cause). Something seems odd about the medical community apparently wanting to avoid calling kids obese but call even more adults obese. :eh:

Edited by Delvo, 04 July 2006 - 10:55 PM.

#33 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 11:03 PM

Themis:

But yeah, call it what it is, don't pussyfoot. Doctors need to make patients and their parents aware of the health dangers. But they need to make sure they emphasize healthy weight, not movie-star or model weight. The emphasis needs to be on health, not looks.

Mark: I understand why the government, or anybody else would try not to offend people with their wording. It's not a politically correct thing, it's just a courtesy.
Perhaps "unhealthy weight" is more courteous than "obese". For demonstrative purposes, neither is actually very specifically descriptive. I mean, there is fat, and then there is FAT. There is one pound over the limit of healthy weight, and into the realm of obesity, and then there is 100 or more over the limit.

Most of us do not excercise enough, and some of us don't excercise at all. It's easy to let ourselves get too busy to get our heart-rates up enough to burn off excessive calories, and fat each day. It's something everyone should really be cautious about...even those amongst us who aren't over our healthy weight limit. There is still the cardiovascular health issue that affects everyone. So no external fat doesn't mean there isn't any internal fat deposits in our arteries.  ;)
Mark
Discussion is an exchange of knowledge: argument is an exchange of ignorance.
Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it.
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#34 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 11:43 PM

Obese, overweight, over anything, under ..... they're all about balance. And how can you have balance without truth? the truth in the overweight issues is this, if you are grossly overweight to the point of health endangerment, or encroaching upon the space of others in public like beyond your seat to press upon another person and his/her seat space ......... these things are not just overweight, these indicate what the word obese describes.

In all things a balance makes harmony, or improvement; like 'good is better than bad' I can say 'balance is better than imbalance'

An obese child does not need a crash diet, or the latest craze, Atkins, Oprah, or such, but does need an improvement in balance; less of the less nutritious and bad carbos, more of the more nutritious and good carbos; vegatables; fruits, even veggiefruity shakes; cut out one or two snack times, plus better nutrition in four balanced and not overdone meals; and more excercise, like a sport league. And running after a frisbee every weekend with the dog.

We all need to get in balance, and have more fulfilling lives. :D
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#35 Natolii

Natolii
  • Islander
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 06:46 AM

My answer to high gorcery store prices...

1) Sign up for their "Valued Customer" Programs. I did that at the local gorcery chain and grab stuff when it is on sale ($2 for a 32 oz jar of Miracle Whip)

2) Wal-mart Supercenter...

I managed to lose 8 lbs by adjusting my diet slightly and exercising a bit more, so it can be down with some effort.
"I have on this board written pages and pages pointing out the science, and I will be dammed if I am going to attempt to reach closed minds that donít even know how to use a reference library." -emsparks (Fenton E. Magill, dec. 1/25/07 - Love you Dad)

#36 Tricia

Tricia

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 07:05 AM

View PostThemis, on Jul 5 2006, 03:28 AM, said:

My mom was that way too but my problem has always been emotional eating...and I wonder if that is the case with some of these kids also.  Stress, maybe a  lot of other factors.

And my mom used to use the old "There are children in China who would love to have _____(fill in the blank with whatever I didn't want to eat).  I still remember what happened the time I sassed back (a rare occurence) and asked why she didn't pack it up and ship it to them if they wanted it so bad, I'd gladly give them my food!! :blush:  :D

With my kids I know about how much they will eat at  a meal and I put only a certain amount of food on their plates.  If they want more they can come back and get it.  The only stipulation I place on them is that if they do not finish what I put on their plates, then if they get hungry later they eat that first, and no snacks until it is finished

I'm hearing that kids don't walk to school any more because it's too dangerous...geez, at least I had that two-block back and forth each day.  My high school dropped PE for seniors, but until then I had some form of PE every day since first grade.  I hear that's changed, which is a mistake if true.

My kids have PE but they are still elementary school level.  My understanding is that here they only have to do one year of PE in hight school.

I don't know what the exercise options are.  I'd have been at the computer if there had been an internet as a kid, but I'm not into games and the net isn't an hours-long thing and probably wouldn't have been then.

Oh some people find ways to make it an hours long activity!!  But my kids are limited on how much time they are allowed to spend on the computer.  

I spent most spare time reading - great for the mind but doesn't use many calories.    I hate heat and also burn. (The only exercise I've ever actually liked in summer is ice skating!  Or dance classes.  Cold rink, air conditioned studio!)  Most pools have no shade in the water area so not for me, but there are lots of community and neighborhood pools and swimming is good exercise for those who can be in the sun.  Bikes used to get kids around neighborhoods and to and from school - does that still happen or is that as "unsafe" as walking to school?   There seem to be a lot of "soccer moms" so some kids must be getting some exercise...

I think a lot of the problem (in the case of the active kids) is what the kids are putting in their mouths....the meals and snack choices provided.  My kids were really good about eating whatever we put in front of them as toddlers as we set an example ourselves.  If mommy and daddy like veggies or yogurt or whatever, then it must be good!  (That might change later)  

But I have heard of kids who will only eat certain foods and the parents capitulate to them.  I'm not sure how you can fix that :(

And others have little activity.

But yeah, call it what it is, don't pussyfoot.  Doctors need to make patients and their parents aware of the health dangers.  But they need to make sure they emphasize healthy weight, not movie-star or model weight.  The emphasis needs to be on health, not looks.  

Themis

Definitely.  Now if we could just get Holywood and the fashion mags to agree.

Edited by trikay, 05 July 2006 - 07:09 AM.

#37 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 09:25 AM

Among other things, preservatives. Food with preservatives lasts longer, is easier to transport, and you don't have to figure spoilage into the price (at least, not to the same extent).

I'm referring to carb and fat reduced food. Like say low cal salad dressing or fat free desserts. They almost always cost more than the original products do and I'm wondering why? Both versions are loaded with perservatives, so why are the reduced cal versions more expensive?

1) Sign up for their "Valued Customer" Programs. I did that at the local gorcery chain and grab stuff when it is on sale ($2 for a 32 oz jar of Miracle Whip)

I managed to lose 8 lbs by adjusting my diet slightly and exercising a bit more, so it can be down with some effort.

Many of us don't live in areas where you have the "Valued Customer" option. I have one local grocery store and the prices are high. I end up alot of times driving 15 to 20 minutes to the next town and hitting the savealot for staple items. I doubt they have a valued customer program. Perhaps meijer does? In the end though, I don't want a weekly shopping trip to take 3 hours because I'm having to hit 4 different stores. Walmart, well I don't shop there on general principle but my neighbors do and according to them, the produce is crap.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#38 Tricia

Tricia

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 11:20 AM

View PostLin731, on Jul 5 2006, 02:25 PM, said:

[

Many of us don't live in areas where you have the "Valued Customer" option. I have one local grocery store and the prices are high. I end up alot of times driving 15 to 20 minutes to the next town and hitting the savealot for staple items. I doubt they have a valued customer program. Perhaps meijer does? In the end though, I don't want a weekly shopping trip to take 3 hours because I'm having to hit 4 different stores. Walmart, well I don't shop there on general principle but my neighbors do and according to them, the produce is crap.

I live in an area Kroger does have a shopper's card and I do shop them when possible and I try to stock up during sales....especially if I have coupons.  Not sure about Meijer. But can ask some folks at the refund board that I frequent as many post their good deals.

I also subscribe to and frequent a refunders board where everyone shares info about good deals etc.  But not everyone can do this due to lack of computer or funds to pay for even an online subscription. (My online subscription came with the magazine)

And Lin, your neighbors are right.  Walmart's produce is generally not good...if you are going to use it, you must use it THAT day.  You can't buy in advance as it goes bad quickly.  

The local food stamp program here does recommend a free class on couponing and refunding and a coupon swap basket.  Using coupons and refunding is not easy. It's work and reading and deciding whether the coupon is worth it as opposed to the sale item or a regularly priced item.

edited to correct spelliing of Lin's name as I forgot whether I was talking to  Lin or Linne (friend on another board) when typing

Edited by trikay, 05 July 2006 - 12:43 PM.

#39 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 12:38 PM

View PostAnastashia, on Jul 3 2006, 02:40 PM, said:

As for being heavier weight, I remember while I was at Officer Candidate School we had to weigh less than the upper limit for our height. I had a number of classmates who had been competitive athletes. Their wasn't an extra ounce of fat on them but because of their muscle mass they had difficulty meeting the weight standards. They definitely would have been in less difficulty had properly measure BMI been in use then. The Navy did switch to a BMI measure while I was on AD, but it was done by taking measurements of various parts of the body not the immersion method.
I remember the weight charts those standards were based on.  They kept the light and medium frame ranges, cut off heavy frame, and totally ignored the amazing information at the bottom that women's height was given in two inch heels!  Though within a pound or two of my personal healthiest and best weight for my AF physical, I was two pounds over the AF weight limit for my height.  The nurse weighed us first and "adjusted" our height.  She tipped the ruler that was supposed to be held on top of our heads and perpendicular to the tape on the wall, and I was an inch taller, and within that weight range.   :hehe:   Women who had the opposite problem were told to eat bananas before the physical, and if that wasn't enough, the handy ruler would make them shorter.  :rolleyes:  I lost so much weight in basic, 13 pounds, that I had to get a whole new set of uniforms, most of which I never wore, since I spent most of my time in green fatigues once I got them, and I came out at the recommended weight but with my ribs showing!  :pout:  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#40 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 12:43 PM

View PostNatolii, on Jul 4 2006, 06:20 AM, said:

In my area, my daughter tries to go outside with other kids, but after the last couple of times some of the kids decided to be cruel because she was different. Makeup and a fashion Magazine delivered as a peace offering to a 10-yr old tomboy is not my idea of making peace...
Not my idea of one, either.   :blink:  

{{{{{{{Natolii's daughter}}}}}}}

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Childhood Obesity, Health, 2006

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users