• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#41 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 02:24 PM

I don't know about you good folks, but my doctor told me pretty straight a couple years ago.  I went in because I wasn't feeling very well, and after being examined, poked and prodded.  My doctor simply said, "Spidey, you're gonna die if you don't make some serious changes in your life."  I wasn't that overweight...or so I thought.  After dwelling in my own sorrows feel bad for myself for being a "fatass" (a name I gave myself at the time), I began to take steps like laying off the soda, drinking a lot more water, staying as far away from any fast food place as possible, and no more late-nite munchies.  Man, after about a month or so, I began to see a difference.  A good difference.  and I don't plan on stopping.  I like they way I look (well, I'm thinner I mean), and I plan to stay that way.  It's not impossible to do this.  And no one should rely on doctors to do any hand holding.  It's all about will power, and really wanting it.  That's it.  If a person doesn't change that, then nothing is going to happen.

Fat kids do less.  They sit and play card games like Yu-Ghi-Oh, or stare at their PS2, GameBoy, or PSP all day long.  Not much of a calorie burner there.  Kids need to be more active.  Run, play sports, compete, have more P.E., and so on.
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#42 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 02:40 PM

View PostNonny, on Jul 5 2006, 05:43 PM, said:

View PostNatolii, on Jul 4 2006, 06:20 AM, said:

In my area, my daughter tries to go outside with other kids, but after the last couple of times some of the kids decided to be cruel because she was different. Makeup and a fashion Magazine delivered as a peace offering to a 10-yr old tomboy is not my idea of making peace...
Not my idea of one, either.   :blink:  

{{{{{{{Natolii's daughter}}}}}}}

Nonny

Not mine either....

You know, if someone is happy with themself as they are then it is no one else's business.  Being a tomboy is not hurting anyone and there is nothing wrong with it.  

I have a friend whose daughter is a self-proclaimed geek.  If the other kids call her that it's no problem.  She's proud of it and happy in herself.

Picking on someone is done for a variety of reasons.....one being to change them (the victim) as the bully/tormentor can not see how they could possibly be happy.  Another reason is to try to bring the victim down....maybe because the tormentor is unhappy with themselves.  Lots of reasons.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#43 Tricia

Tricia

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 02:44 PM

Hurray for Spidey!!!!

Sometimes it takes someone telling you straight when it comes to health matters.  That specter of possible death has to be brought into the picture.  

If that is what it takes to help someone make the changes in their life....then so be it.

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#44 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,147 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 04:03 PM

View PostNatolii, on Jul 4 2006, 09:20 AM, said:

No, this whole push is be PC is because of doctors getting sued because they were telling their patients the truth.

Mine keeps encouraging me to lose weight BUT does not do more than telling me to knock off a couple of things. There needs to be support from the medical staff too, IMHO.

But, my failing was with soda. I'm not the healthiest of eaters, but snacks around the house consisted of different type of cheese and Triskets. I also like to grab ice cream without all the artifical stuff.

For the past week I've been off the soda entirely, instead drinking stuff like Kool-aid, Gatorade (Heat reasons) and Ice Water. Occassionally I'll have coffee...

In my area, my daughter tries to go outside with other kids, but after the last couple of times some of the kids decided to be cruel because she was different. Makeup and a fashion Magazine delivered as a peace offering to a 10-yr old tomboy is not my idea of making peace...

If you have an urge for pop, please concider this:

properties of Coke:

1. In many states (in the USA ) the highway patrol carries two gallons of Coke in the truck to remove blood from the highway after a car accident.

2. You can put a T-bone steak in a bowl of Coke and it will be gone in two days.

3. To clean a toilet: Pour a can of Coca-Cola into the toilet bowl and let the "real thing" sit for one hour, then flush clean. The citric acid in Coke removes stains from porcelain and china.

4. To remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers: Rub the bumper with a rumpled-up piece of Reynolds Wrap aluminum foil dipped in Coca-Cola.

5. To clean corrosion from car battery terminals: Pour a can of Coca-Cola over the terminals to bubble away the corrosion.

6. To loosen a rusted bolt: Applying a cloth soaked in Coca-Cola to the rusted bolt for several minutes.

7. To bake a moist ham: Empty a can of Coca-Cola into the baking pan, wrap the ham in aluminum foil, and bake. Thirty minutes before the ham is finished, remove the foil, allowing the drippings to mix with the Coke for sumptuous brown gravy.

8. To remove grease from clothes: Empty a can of Coke into a load of greasy clothes, add detergent, and run through a regular cycle. The Coca-Cola will help loosen grease stains.

9. It will also clean road haze from your windshield.

For Your Info:

1. The active ingredient in Coke is phosphoric acid.  Its pH is 2.8. It will dissolve a nail in about 4 days.  Phosphoric acid also leaches calcium from bones and is a major contributor to the rising increase in osteoporosis.

2. To carry Coca-Cola syrup (the concentrate) the commercial truck must use the Hazardous material place cards reserved for highly corrosive materials.

3. The distributors of Coke have been using it to clean the engines of their trucks for about 20 years!

Can't Touch This!!

#45 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 04:19 PM

View PostAnastashia, on Jul 3 2006, 03:41 PM, said:

trikay I also add wheat germ or some other small fiber product into my breakfast drinks. Some people don't like it because it does have more of a texture but it's definitely the way to get additional fiber in your diet.

I eat all whole grain food anyway, plus I make my own whole wheat bread (in a breadmaker - I'm lazy :p), and it has oat brain tossed in for flavor as well. Yum.

That way I don't have to toss it into my smoothies.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#46 Rhys

Rhys

... a learning experience.

• Islander
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 05:22 PM

View PostKosh, on Jul 5 2006, 05:03 PM, said:

properties of Coke:

While I'm not going to claim Coke is good for you, and I do have a former roomie who developed ulcers partly from drinking too much Coke, do consider these claims critically, and http://www.snopes.co...re/cokelore.asp is a good start.

Some of them remind me of that E-mail on "The Dangers of Dihydrogen Monoxide" (a substance that will also remove road haze from your windshield :) ).

This one does scare me, though:

To bake a moist ham: Empty a can of Coca-Cola into the baking pan, wrap the ham in aluminum foil, and bake. Thirty minutes before the ham is finished, remove the foil, allowing the drippings to mix with the Coke for sumptuous brown gravy.

:eek4:

Rhys
"It's easy to bond over hating something together - The Internet is total proof of that." Cyd/Codex, The Guild

Change the world!  No one can do everything, but everyone can do something.

#47 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 06:28 PM

View PostRhys, on Jul 5 2006, 05:22 PM, said:

View PostKosh, on Jul 5 2006, 05:03 PM, said:

properties of Coke:

While I'm not going to claim Coke is good for you, and I do have a former roomie who developed ulcers partly from drinking too much Coke, do consider these claims critically, and http://www.snopes.co...re/cokelore.asp is a good start.

Some of them remind me of that E-mail on "The Dangers of Dihydrogen Monoxide" (a substance that will also remove road haze from your windshield :) ).

This one does scare me, though:

To bake a moist ham: Empty a can of Coca-Cola into the baking pan, wrap the ham in aluminum foil, and bake. Thirty minutes before the ham is finished, remove the foil, allowing the drippings to mix with the Coke for sumptuous brown gravy.

:eek4:
Rhys

Mark: It's actually not bad. The Coke helps to tenderize the meat, while giving it a caramel-sugary gravy that mixes well with natural drippings to make a gravey.  :blush:
Mark
Discussion is an exchange of knowledge: argument is an exchange of ignorance.
Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it.
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#48 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 06:38 PM

My particular poison is Diet Dr. Pepper, and since it's one of my few remaining vices I refuse to give it up.

Interesting. Out of all these claims, only 3 are actually true, according to Snopes (I put an * next to the true ones):

The New Coke fiasco was actually a clever marketing ploy.

Coca-Cola became carbonated by accident.

*Coca-Cola was once considered anti-Semitic for refusing to do business in Israel.

The modern image of Santa Claus was created by Coca-Cola.

*Coca-Cola used to contain cocaine.

Coca-Cola is an effective spermicide.

A tooth left in a glass of Coca-Cola will dissolve overnight.

The shape of the Coca-Cola bottle was mistakenly based on the cacao tree seed pod.

Coca-Cola's name was translated into Chinese as "bite the wax tadpole."

Combining Coca-Cola and aspirin will get you high.

Only two people in the company know Coca-Cola's formula, and each of them only knows half of it.

Coca-Cola was originally green.

The Mormons own the Coca-Cola Company.

The cursive script of the Coca-Cola label includes an image of a person snorting cocaine.

Coca-Cola used to send a salesman out to purchase a piece of Coca-Cola chewing gum once a year to protect its trademark on the product.

Little Mikey of LIFE cereal fame died from the explosive effects of mixing Pop Rocks candy with Coca-Cola.*

Coca-Cola is giving away free cases of soda to people who forward an e-mail message.*

Coca-Cola's cursive script logo was designed to reveal anti-Islamic messages in its mirror image.

The acids in Coca-Cola make it harmful to drink.

A kid who drank the liquid used as ballast in a MagiCan promotion died.*

A Middle Eastern advertisement created by Coca-Cola depicts the Coke logo emblazoned on the Dome of the Rock.*

Coca-Cola has announced that it will be donating four days' worth of income to Israel.*

Kindness performed for a stranger nets a warning not to drink Coca-Cola after a certain date.*

University student who drinks too many Cokes dies from carbon dioxide poisoning.

*   Coca-Cola recalled an advertising poster due to a risqué image hidden within it.

Fanta was invented by the Nazis.

Al-Qaeda terrorists have poisoned one in five cans of Coca-Cola with anthrax and arsenic.*

Diet Coke and/or Diet Pepsi contain more calories than stated, with their producers opting to pay a fine.

Coca-Cola came to be bottled when a stranger sold a two-word remarkable idea to the company: "Bottle it."

Edited by Rhea, 05 July 2006 - 06:39 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#49 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 06:53 PM

View PostRhea, on Jul 5 2006, 04:38 PM, said:

My particular poison is Diet Dr. Pepper, and since it's one of my few remaining vices I refuse to give it up.

Interesting. Out of all these claims, only 3 are actually true, according to Snopes (I put an * next to the true ones):

The New Coke fiasco was actually a clever marketing ploy....
I remember the New Coke fiasco.   :rolleyes:   I didn't drink it, but my boyfriend sure did, and he went ballistic over the betrayal.   :p   Swore he'd give it up.   :angry:   Managed about three weeks.   :lol:  

He sometimes called it Co' Cola.   :hehe:   Yep, Texan.   :p  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#50 Rhys

Rhys

... a learning experience.

• Islander
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 07:18 PM

View PostMark, on Jul 5 2006, 07:28 PM, said:

Mark: It's actually not bad. The Coke helps to tenderize the meat, while giving it a caramel-sugary gravy that mixes well with natural drippings to make a gravey.  :blush:

Actually, I was intending to be sarcastic...  The "look at all the scary things it does, plus it makes a great gravy!" was just too bizarre a juxtaposition to ignore...

Rhys
"It's easy to bond over hating something together - The Internet is total proof of that." Cyd/Codex, The Guild

Change the world!  No one can do everything, but everyone can do something.

#51 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 12:58 AM

Here's a fun thing to do with the whole family.  Take a 2 litre bottle of diet coke, and drop a couple of Mentos mints in it.  Don't drink it, just watch what happens.  You'll have your own sticky geyser.  The more the mentos mints you put it, the higher it goes.  But you have to be quick.
Posted Image

#52 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 02:12 PM

I'm curious, again.  What about the new all natural 7-UP?  Ingredients:

Filtered Carbonated Water
High Fructose Corn Syrup
Natural Citric Acid
Natural Flavors
Natural Potassium Citrate

Tastes pretty good, actually.  :)
Posted Image

#53 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 06:51 PM

View PostNatolii, on Jul 5 2006, 04:46 AM, said:

My answer to high gorcery store prices...

1) Sign up for their "Valued Customer" Programs. I did that at the local gorcery chain and grab stuff when it is on sale ($2 for a 32 oz jar of Miracle Whip)

2) Wal-mart Supercenter...

1)  got an Albertson's Preferred Card but they never use it for fresh products.

2)  waiting on our supercenter.....if the city decides to let us have one.

btw Natolii, have you talked to the parents of these valley-girl morons who are harassing your daughter?  if so and their brats are still acting up, you might want to contact them again and point out that you might consider legal action.  (of course you don't have to go that far, but maybe a threat of a restraining order might get them to parent their little morons better).

Here's a fun thing to do with the whole family. Take a 2 litre bottle of diet coke, and drop a couple of Mentos mints in it.

i keep meaning to do this for niece and nephew just to see their reaction.  i think they'd find it hilarious.

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#54 Tricia

Tricia

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 07:37 PM

View PostCheile, on Jul 6 2006, 11:51 PM, said:

Here's a fun thing to do with the whole family. Take a 2 litre bottle of diet coke, and drop a couple of Mentos mints in it.

i keep meaning to do this for niece and nephew just to see their reaction.  i think they'd find it hilarious.

Heehee

I've thought about doing this with my kids but so far have only showed it to them on the news reports.

Okay I don't want to sacrifice a bottle of Diet Coke for the sake of science   :D  :p

They say that on youtube you can find lots of videos of people doing this, including some guys who did some kind of choreographed show.

#55 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 07:52 PM

^^^^^I think I saw part of that show on TV the other day.
The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#56 Tricia

Tricia

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 08:05 PM

^^^

I think they showed it on Good Morning America, Inside Edition and probably some other national shows as well as local news.  Not sure why exactly but for about three days or so everyone seemed to be showing this. :rolleyes:

#57 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 08:23 PM

View Posttrikay, on Jul 6 2006, 06:05 PM, said:

^^^

I think they showed it on Good Morning America, Inside Edition and probably some other national shows as well as local news.  Not sure why exactly but for about three days or so everyone seemed to be showing this. :rolleyes:
This has been on NPR, which, since it's radio, you can't watch  :rolleyes: , but there's at least one video at their website.  

Orchestrating Mixed-Media Art with Mentos

All Things Considered, June 7, 2006 · Two months ago, we reported on the Web video phenomenon of Mentos and Diet Coke. The mint candies combine with the soda to create an explosive geyser.

But a new video on the Internet transforms that rudimentary concept into a highly choreographed routine, complete with funky soundtrack.

Two men in Maine, Fritz Grobe and Stephen Voltz, took 101 bottles of Diet Coke and crafted a mesmerizing, two-minute Mentos and Diet Coke performance that they call "a spectacular, mint-powered version of the Bellagio Fountains in Las Vegas."

Melissa Block talks with Grobe and Voltz about their creation.
:)  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#58 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 09:17 PM

IIRC now their appearance on Letterman was recapped on the next day's news because they're from Maine.
The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#59 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 12:28 AM

What's REALLY amazing is the amount of time these guys invested in playing with sodas and candy.  :devil:
- Robert A. Heinlein

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Childhood Obesity, Health, 2006

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users