Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 09:32 AM

No details.  Just heard it on NPR.  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#2 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 09:40 AM

Enron Founder Ken Lay, 64, Dead of Heart Attack

HOUSTON -- Kenneth Lay, founder and vilified former chairman of scandal-ridden Enron Corp., died of a heart attack this morning. He was 64.

Nicknamed "Kenny Boy" by President Bush, Lay led Enron's meteoric rise from a staid natural gas pipeline company formed by a 1985 merger to an energy and trading conglomerate that reached No. 7 on the Fortune 500 in 2000 and claimed $101 billion in annual revenues.

He was convicted in May 25 of defrauding investors and employees by repeatedly lying about Enron's financial strength in the months before the company plummeted into bankruptcy protection in December 2001.

Some guy on NPR is calling him a "tragic victim" of the Enron mess.   :blink:   Geez.

edited to add: this link now goes to the updated article.

Edited by Nonny, 05 July 2006 - 11:14 AM.

Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#3 Bobby

Bobby

FKA LiberalBob

• Islander
  • 4,369 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 09:56 AM

He's a victim?  When you sign on to be leader of anything you take the credit for the good and the flak for the bad.  I find it hard to believe he didn't know what was going on at Enron.  If he didn't then he wasn't a very good CEO either way.  What was his role to play golf and look pretty?

#4 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 11:07 AM

I have trouble perceiving him as a victim.

He should have known what was going on at Enron.  He was getting paid the big bucks to run the show.  To me, that means keeping your fingers in all the pots and not turning a blind eye to any possible wrongdoing.

Prosecutors in Lay's trial declined comment today, both on his unexpected death and what may become of the government's effort to seek a $43.5 million judgment from Lay that they say he pocketed as part of the conspiracy

A local (Houston)  legal analyst said that they can not proceed with attempts to seek this judgement.  That the whole case disappears with his death tho they can seek a civil judgment against the estate.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#5 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 12:53 PM

My momma taught me that "if  you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all."  It was either my momma or I saw heard it in the movie "Bambi".  :blink:  Anyway, I got nuthin' nice to say about Ken Lay, dead or otherwise.  :p

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#6 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 01:43 PM

Here's the Chicago Trib article

http://newsblogs.chi...th_lays_go.html

Proof that you can be successful and still be an idiot. :glare:
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#7 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 02:12 PM

Gee...what a shame.  Not.  I hope there is a special place in hell for him.  ;)
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#8 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 02:23 PM

And a collective sigh of relief goes out across Washington, knowing that there won't be any "tell all" books forthcoming from Kenny Boy.

And the ground is richer by one sonofab*tch.

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#9 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 04:27 PM

Too bad - I would have much rather seen him survive, do jail time and pay the judgement.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#10 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 04:50 PM

Call me a cynic but I think the boy took his own life. There are many, many, drugs out there that can cause heart attacks. The fact of the matter is that the boy was looking at spending the rest of his life as some inmate's b*tch! He knew that.

He was probably also aware that since he hadn't been sentenced yet, that with his death the conviction would have to be overturned. Because he wouldn't be able to get an appeal.

So the conviction gets overturned, and on paper he is an innocent man. The boy got off easy if you ask me.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#11 Broph

Broph
  • Islander
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 04:57 PM

Well, he wouldn't be the wife of an inmate. If he was going anywhere, it would have been to Club Fed where he would have conjugal visits and the like. Not quite up to his normal standard, but he wouldn't be happy.

#12 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 05:09 PM

View PostLORD of the SWORD, on Jul 5 2006, 09:50 PM, said:

He was probably also aware that since he hadn't been sentenced yet, that with his death the conviction would have to be overturned. Because he wouldn't be able to get an appeal.

So the conviction gets overturned, and on paper he is an innocent man. The boy got off easy if you ask me.

The conviction is not overturned just because he died.....if that legal expert is to believed then it just disappears.  It doesn't mean he was never convicted just that he did not survive to receive sentence.  He is still not innocent.

oops...checked on the Houston Chronicle's website

Lay had not been sentenced and the appeal process had barely started. That means a final judgment has not been issued and the conviction will be set aside, said Richard Barnett, a San Diego attorney who specializes in forfeitures.

Now the civil suits filed by former employees and likely even the federal government can still proceed and the conviction can still be used against his estate in those cases.  His death does put some limitations on those cases also tho.

CNN

But Lay's family may still face the music when it comes to the barrage of civil lawsuits filed against him.

Jacob Zamansky, principal at Zamansky & Associates, a law firm that represents shareholders, said Lay's estate is still liable for damages.

"Lay's passing isn't going to have any material effect on the civil suits," Zamansky said. "His testimony is still out there."

And Joel Androphy, partner at Houston-based law firm Berg & Androphy, said that if a defendant is deceased, civil claimants can't seek punitive damages. Any civil lawsuits would have to be limited to compensatory damages, or those losses that were actually incurred by an individual, he said.

Edited by trikay, 05 July 2006 - 05:30 PM.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#13 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 03:35 AM

View PostBroph, on Jul 5 2006, 05:57 PM, said:

Well, he wouldn't be the wife of an inmate. If he was going anywhere, it would have been to Club Fed where he would have conjugal visits and the like. Not quite up to his normal standard, but he wouldn't be happy.

True...But even that kind of jail would've been good enough for someone like him. But by dying like he did, the boy got off easy.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#14 scherzo

scherzo

I know things

• Islander
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 03:51 AM

Eh...guy probably faked his death Jack Bauer style. His accomplice is injecting the "corpse" with the revival serum as we speak, and flight coordinates to the French Riviera have just been delivered to a fully fueled private jet somewhere.

It'll be crepes and lattes on the poolside balcony by Saturday morning. :cool:

-scherzo(well that's what I'd do anyway)
"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so."    -Ronald Reagan, October 27 1964
Posted Image

#15 Bobby

Bobby

FKA LiberalBob

• Islander
  • 4,369 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 09:15 AM

View Postscherzo, on Jul 6 2006, 03:51 AM, said:

Eh...guy probably faked his death Jack Bauer style. His accomplice is injecting the "corpse" with the revival serum as we speak, and flight coordinates to the French Riviera have just been delivered to a fully fueled private jet somewhere.

It'll be crepes and lattes on the poolside balcony by Saturday morning. :cool:

-scherzo(well that's what I'd do anyway)

That conspiracy theory did cross my mind when I first read it.  He'll be like Elvis.

#16 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 03:24 PM

I guess he'll miss that hunting trip with Dick Cheney now.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#17 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 03:53 PM

'Ole Dicky ain't worried.  I'm sure he's got a few more folks on his list to keep him...occupied.  :)
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#18 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 11:38 AM

who says he gets off scot-free?  take his estates and fortune, put his b*tch wife and brats into the poorhouse where they belong to pay all those ripped off victims back.

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Obituaries, Ken Lay, 2006

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users