15 replies to this topic

#1 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 16 May 2003 - 04:10 AM

http://www.galactica2003.net/index.htm

Here's the new promo for the miniseries, and if you look very fast, you can see the Galactica.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#2 RommieSG

RommieSG

Heir to the Empire

• Islander
  • 17,188 posts

Posted 16 May 2003 - 04:17 AM

Posted Image

Caught it on a screencap.

It's longer, but still keeps the basic design to it. I don't ever recall seeing it use hyperspace before, so I'm hoping that's just effects for the promo.

This is the first bright light I have seen yet.

Rommie :cylon:
Posted Image

#3 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 16 May 2003 - 04:27 AM

^^^According to that script, there is hyperspace travel in the miniseries, something we didn't see on the original show. And the ship looks like, the way it's described in the book, streamline, and smooth, unlike the bulky Atlantica, in the first book anyway.  :cool:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#4 RommieSG

RommieSG

Heir to the Empire

• Islander
  • 17,188 posts

Posted 16 May 2003 - 04:41 AM

Posted Image

I dunno. I'm kinda torn between the two. :pout:

Mommy :wacko:

Posted Image

#5 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 16 May 2003 - 04:54 AM

http://www.battlesta.../BG-chfleet.jpg

It looks alot like the version of the ship, in Richard Hatch's trailer. :cool:

#6 RommieSG

RommieSG

Heir to the Empire

• Islander
  • 17,188 posts

Posted 16 May 2003 - 04:58 AM

DWF, on May 15 2003, 07:41 PM, said:

http://www.battlesta.../BG-chfleet.jpg

It looks alot like the version of the ship, in Richard Hatch's trailer. :cool:
I gotta teach you how to use image and quote tags. ;):p

Anyhoo, that looks more like the original battlestar than it does the new one. The new one is a lot longer in the front. Like an Intrepid Class Starship in Star Trek.

The second image I posted was an artwork. You know though, I'm kinda leaning towards NuGalactica's Battlestar. It is sleeker, and it looks good.

Still think Hyperengines pull away from the drama of the series. How they could only go as fast as the slowest ship. Takes that whole element out of the picture.

Posted Image

#7 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 16 May 2003 - 05:03 AM

^^Well, for one thing., you can't use images from battlestargalactica.com without their permission, and I didn't feel like getting right now, and pictures slow my computer. :yin-yang:

#8 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 16 May 2003 - 05:18 AM

Hyperspeed doesn't take away the principle that they can only go as fast as the slowest, if they're not all the same speed when at hyperspeed. (That's why the Millennium Falcon was faster than others; its hyperspeed was more hyper.)

The sleekness of that screen capture looks like an effect of its having just come out of hyperspeed (bits of stray energy fizzling away off its surgace), and the elongated front section looks like an optical illusion caused by that part being so close to "us".

#9 RommieSG

RommieSG

Heir to the Empire

• Islander
  • 17,188 posts

Posted 16 May 2003 - 05:34 AM

Delvo, on May 15 2003, 08:05 PM, said:

Hyperspeed doesn't take away the principle that they can only go as fast as the slowest, if they're not all the same speed when at hyperspeed. (That's why the Millennium Falcon was faster than others; its hyperspeed was more hyper.)

The sleekness of that screen capture looks like an effect of its having just come out of hyperspeed (bits of stray energy fizzling away off its surgace), and the elongated front section looks like an optical illusion caused by that part being so close to "us".
If you look at the promo though, that's how it looks after coming out of hyperspace. It's already gone through the process of coming out.

It's got the elongated front. I'd love to see some official screencaps of the NuGalactica.

Posted Image

#10 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 16 May 2003 - 05:42 AM

Hmmm, well they didn't screw up the shape of the ship but that shot of the Galactica doing the whip/stretch of Star Trek is very....well....Star Treky.

Not horrible like the script but not....great either.

enTranced

Edited by enTranced, 16 May 2003 - 05:43 AM.

Posted Image

#11 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,147 posts

Posted 17 May 2003 - 07:22 AM

I gotta teach you how to use image and quote tags.

Never mind. I lost my head. Found it!!

Edited by Kosh, 17 May 2003 - 07:42 AM.

Can't Touch This!!

#12 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,595 posts

Posted 17 May 2003 - 11:28 AM

Actually, it looks like something they lifted from the X-BOX/PLAYSTATION game that is coming out in conjunction with it.  Ummm ... go to http://www.galactica...deogame/vgc.htm, when then click on the "opening trailer" (WARNING:  It is a mighty big file, 22MB, to download).

BTW, the game takes place during the Cylon Wars some 40-50 years prior to the miniseries.

In Ron Moore's script the FTL effect is the ship folding in on itself and then reappearing elsewhere, whereas this has the look of Star Trek which was something Moore wanted to avoid.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 17 May 2003 - 11:31 AM.

Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#13 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 17 May 2003 - 11:32 AM

G-man, on May 16 2003, 08:35 PM, said:

Actually, it looks like something they lifted from the X-BOX/PLAYSTATION game that is coming out in conjunction with it.  Ummm ... go to the link in the initial post, when you get to the homepage click on the link to Video Game, then scroll down to opening sequence (WARNING:  It is a mighty big file, 58Megs IIRC, to download).

BTW, the game takes place during the Cylon Wars some 40-50 years prior to the miniseries.

In Ron Moore's script the FTL effect is the ship folding in on itself and then reappearing elsewhere, whereas this has the look of Star Trek which was something Moore wanted to avoid.

/s/

Gloriosus
Well, the game is meant to be a prequel of sorts, to the miniseries, but the promo has the Sci-Fi channel's logo on it, which that either it's a fake, and the Sci-Fi channel doesn't know about it yet, or it really came from the Sci-Fi channel. :unsure:

#14 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,595 posts

Posted 17 May 2003 - 12:02 PM

^^^ Or it could be a filler promo until they have something more substantial to air.

The game is being released in conjunction with the show, and is, in fact, following Moore's vision for BSG.  As you remarked it is a prequel.  So it is reasonable that Sci-Fi does have the rights to use the game images in their promotion.

But, in light of the reaction, we can hope that the actual models used on the show, resemble those in the game.  The Vipers certainly seem to resemble eachother.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#15 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 17 May 2003 - 02:06 PM

http://www.galactica...deogame/vgc.htm

Well, now I have to wonder, if this from the game or not, or if it's the actual design for the miniseries, based on the one from the game. :unsure:  :wacko:

#16 RommieSG

RommieSG

Heir to the Empire

• Islander
  • 17,188 posts

Posted 17 May 2003 - 03:01 PM

Considering that this site is run by Milton, the person who has caused so much trouble over at Colonial Fleets, I honestly wouldn't put it past him to put something like that together.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users