• Please log in to reply
192 replies to this topic

#1 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,078 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 03:57 PM

I have a simple method for proving that God doesn't exist.

God is supposedly all-seeing, all-knowing, all-powerful, right?

He can do anything.

Okay, well, "God, as we're reading this, turn each of our computers into a mango."

H'm . . . nothing's happening . . .

Until I see a mango in place of this computer, I'll continue to challenge the notion of God or any other diety.

This test works just as well for believers, too. You can tell me I'm wrong when your computer vanishes and is replaced by a mango.

Anything else is just talk.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#2 Jid

Jid

Mad Prophet of Funk

• Islander
  • 12,554 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 03:59 PM

Of course, the axle falls of the logic-wagon right about the point someone asks:

What if God decides he doesn't want to turn computers into mangos, just because some guy asked him to?

But since you've already made up your mind, have a swell day.
cervisiam tene rem specta

#3 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,078 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 04:02 PM

View PostJid, on Jul 7 2006, 02:59 PM, said:

Of course, the axle falls of the logic-wagon right about the point someone asks:

What if God decides he doesn't want to turn computers into mangos, just because some guy asked him to?

But since you've already made up your mind, have a swell day.

You must have missed the last line . . .

#4 scherzo

scherzo

I know things

• Islander
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 04:02 PM

Damn...

And I just had this stupid thing de-mangoed. Oh well...back to Comp USA... :(

-scherzo
"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so."    -Ronald Reagan, October 27 1964
Posted Image

#5 Mary Rose

Mary Rose

Charlie's Asthmatic Angel

• 22,337 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 04:05 PM

Sorry but your proof falls flat with me.  I know there's a God and nothing you can say will make me believe otherwise.  

But, hey, thanks for disrespecting my beliefs as well as other religious people.   At least I respect other beliefs and don't think I'm so superior.  Must be nice to be in the right all the time.
Mary Rose, Official Missionary for the Church of Beka angst.  Please join us for worship at the EI fanfic board.  Jill-- on what my name badge should say.
Proud Andromeda and Forever Knight fanfic writer
    Posted Image           Posted Image           Posted Image
Proud parent of thriving Beka and Tracy muses
Posted Image

#6 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,745 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 04:07 PM

Matthew 16:4

A wicked and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given unto it

#7 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,078 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 04:10 PM

View PostMary Rose, on Jul 7 2006, 03:05 PM, said:

Sorry but your proof falls flat with me.  I know there's a God and nothing you can say will make me believe otherwise.  

But, hey, thanks for disrespecting my beliefs as well as other religious people.   At least I respect other beliefs and don't think I'm so superior.  Must be nice to be in the right all the time.

What makes you think I feel superior and must be right all the time? I think you're reading into this something that isn't there.

As I said, though, the rest is all talk. Where's the beef?

And explain to me why I would respect a belief that says "God is all powerful and can do anything", but when put to it and asked to substitute a single action for mountains of words can't produce a single mango?

#8 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,078 posts

View PostChatterbox, on Jul 7 2006, 03:07 PM, said:

A wicked and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given unto it

Blah, blah, blah. Where's my mango?

#9 Robert Hewitt Wolfe

Robert Hewitt Wolfe
  • Demigod
  • 2,247 posts

The existance or lack of existance of God is a matter of faith either way.  Stating a disbelief in God is as valid as stating a belief in God.  Neither is an attack on the other, since both positions are logially unassailable.

I'm an agnostic.  I believe you should believe whatever makes you happiest while understanding that neither position is proveable.

"There are monsters, there are angels...
There's a peacefulness and a rage inside us all."
----------------------------------
Voice of the Beehive

#10 Bobby

Bobby

FKA LiberalBob

• Islander
  • 4,369 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 04:12 PM

But what if we want something besides a mango?  Maybe god doesn't think I need a mango.  God does the testing and he gets to decide the guidelines.  

You know what the favored response is?  Sometimes god says no.

Of course, there is a scientific way to do it.  Find some whales, lions, a few giants, etc and see if any of the old miracles still hold.  Or we could just melt the polar ice caps which mankind is doing anyway.  Why haven't any Christians gotten to work on ark yet?  Go see "An Inconvenient Truth.  Al Gore is God's harbinger.  Heed the call.  It'll need to be a big ark for a pair of each species so the sooner, the better.  I've got a hammer...

#11 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,078 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 04:12 PM

View PostRobert Hewitt Wolfe, on Jul 7 2006, 03:10 PM, said:

The existance or lack of existance of God is a matter of faith either way.  Stating a disbelief in God is as valid as stating a belief in God.  Neither is an attack on the other, since both positions are logially unassailable.

I'm an agnostic.  I believe you should believe whatever makes you happiest while understanding that neither position is proveable.

Oh, I don't know about that. The claim is "God is all powerful and can do anything."

If that's true, then where's my mango?

#12 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,078 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 04:16 PM

View PostChatterbox, on Jul 7 2006, 03:07 PM, said:

BTW, I've never broken the law in my life, I've never committed adultery, and I've never done anything to anyone that can be termed "wicked".

Your quote just sounds like more "we wonderful, everyone else nasty" talk.

All I did was ask that my very expensive computer turn into a cheap run-of-the-mill mango. If God is so almighty and all-powerful, then why is he so incapable?

#13 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,078 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 04:18 PM

View PostCaesar of the Stars, on Jul 7 2006, 03:12 PM, said:

But what if we want something besides a mango?  Maybe god doesn't think I need a mango.  God does the testing and he gets to decide the guidelines.  

You know what the favored response is?  Sometimes god says no.

Of course, there is a scientific way to do it.  Find some whales, lions, a few giants, etc and see if any of the old miracles still hold.  Or we could just melt the polar ice caps which mankind is doing anyway.  Why haven't any Christians gotten to work on ark yet?  Go see "An Inconvenient Truth.  Al Gore is God's harbinger.  Heed the call.  It'll need to be a big ark for a pair of each species so the sooner, the better.  I've got a hammer...

Well, at the moment I need a mango. It's God's big chance to earn himself a convert. You'd think he'd jump at the chance.

Assuming he exists . . .

#14 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,745 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 04:21 PM

Where did I say we wonderful, everyone else nasty?

What that means is unbelievers will always look for a sign and God has the choice whether to give the sign or not. If He doesn't, that is not proof He doesn't exist.

Anything anyone will say won't make a dent in your hard-headedness, I was just wondering where you got that I was saying anyone was wonderful or others were nasty.

I just love how you put words in other people's mouths.

#15 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 04:23 PM

It is within my powers to fold you an origami crane.

But just 'cuz you tell me to doesn't mean that I will.  My unwillingness to do it doesn't mean that I don't exist, or that I don't have that skill.

I think I can prove God doesn't exist... I've discussed it with religious people who insisted on being a pain in my ass and wouldn't take "let's not discuss this" for an answer, and I've left a few of 'em in a major crisis of faith.  One lady pitched her Bible in the garbage, right in front of me.  (I fished it out 'cuz it was a Catholic Bible and I didn't have one of those :) ).   But ya can't do it with something as quick and easy as the mango trick.  And you shouldn't even try to do it to anyone who's not trying to use their beliefs as a weapon against you.  Don't try to take anything away from someone that's a help to them and that's not being used to hurt you.

People here may disagree on things based on their religious beliefs, but they can't try to harm you with 'em via a message board.   So, no need for mango-challenges.  Everybody should believe what they want.

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#16 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,078 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 04:26 PM

View PostChatterbox, on Jul 7 2006, 03:21 PM, said:

Where did I say we wonderful, everyone else nasty?

What that means is unbelievers will always look for a sign and God has the choice whether to give the sign or not. If He doesn't, that is not proof He doesn't exist.

Anything anyone will say won't make a dent in your hard-headedness, I was just wondering where you got that I was saying anyone was wonderful or others were nasty.

I just love how you put words in other people's mouths.

Your quote said "a wicked and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall be no sign given unto it". Your words. I didn't "put them into your mouth".

You used this quote as a refutation, and the implication is that anyone who says what I said prompts the aforementioned quote.

My point is that it's all talk, but when challenged, rather than one single action, all you get is more talk.

Talk is cheap. Where's my mango?

#17 Robert Hewitt Wolfe

Robert Hewitt Wolfe
  • Demigod
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 04:26 PM

View Postgsmonks, on Jul 7 2006, 02:12 PM, said:

View PostRobert Hewitt Wolfe, on Jul 7 2006, 03:10 PM, said:

Oh, I don't know about that. The claim is "God is all powerful and can do anything."

If that's true, then where's my mango?

For you, it makes you happier to think that God doesn't exist than to think that God doesn't want to (or can't be bothered to) give you a mango.  Other people would rather think God is withholding the mango for His own ineffible reasons.  Whatever floats your boat.

Me, I could give a crap.  Either way, if I want a mango, I have to get off my ass and go get one.

Luckily, while I'm neutral with regard to God, I'm firmly against mangos.

Voice of the Beehive

#18 Bobby

Bobby

FKA LiberalBob

• Islander
  • 4,369 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 04:27 PM

View PostZwolf666, on Jul 7 2006, 04:23 PM, said:

It is within my powers to fold you an origami crane.

But just 'cuz you tell me to doesn't mean that I will.  My unwillingness to do it doesn't mean that I don't exist, or that I don't have that skill.

I think I can prove God doesn't exist... I've discussed it with religious people who insisted on being a pain in my ass and wouldn't take "let's not discuss this" for an answer, and I've left a few of 'em in a major crisis of faith.  One lady pitched her Bible in the garbage, right in front of me.  (I fished it out 'cuz it was a Catholic Bible and I didn't have one of those :) ).   But ya can't do it with something as quick and easy as the mango trick.  And you shouldn't even try to do it to anyone who's not trying to use their beliefs as a weapon against you.  Don't try to take anything away from someone that's a help to them and that's not being used to hurt you.

People here may disagree on things based on their religious beliefs, but they can't try to harm you with 'em via a message board.   So, no need for mango-challenges.  Everybody should believe what they want.

Cheers,

Zwolf

You went dumpster diving for Jesus?

#19 Robert Hewitt Wolfe

Robert Hewitt Wolfe
  • Demigod
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 04:30 PM

View Postgsmonks, on Jul 7 2006, 02:18 PM, said:

Well, at the moment I need a mango. It's God's big chance to earn himself a convert. You'd think he'd jump at the chance.

Assuming he exists . . .

But God (if she exists) doesn't want you to believe in her because she gives you a mango.  She wants you to believe in her because you have pure faith, unvalidated by evidence.  So sayeth the believers.

I sayeth turn a TV into a mango, and a man shall have a mango.  Encourage the same man to planteth a mango tree, and he shall have mangos all the days of his life.*

*Provided he liveth in an environment suitable for mangos and hath not the thumb of brown.

Voice of the Beehive

#20 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 04:30 PM

Robert: Luckily, while I'm neutral with regard to God, I'm firmly against mangos.

:D
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Religion, Atheism, God Nonexistent, 2006

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users