• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#1 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 10:11 PM

http://news.yahoo.co...zkxBHNlYwN0bQ--

WASHINGTON - Curbing tobacco use and taking other steps to eliminate some of the most common risk factors for cancer could save millions of lives over the next few decades, health officials said Monday.

Tobacco alone is predicted to kill a billion people this century, 10 times the toll it took in the 20th century, if current trends hold.

"In all of world history, this is the largest train wreck not waiting to happen," said John Seffrin, chief executive officer of the        American Cancer Society.

Reducing tobacco use would have the single largest effect on global cancer rates, Seffrin and other health officials said Monday in unveiling two reference guides that chart global tobacco use and cancer.

Changing diets to contain fewer saturated fats and more fruits and vegetables, as well as reducing infection by cancer-causing viruses and bacteria, could also cut rates dramatically, they said.

"We know with cancer, if we take action now, we can save 2 million lives a year by 2020 and 6.5 million by 2040," said Dr. Judith Mackay, a World Health Organization senior policy adviser.

Today, tobacco accounts for one in five cancer deaths, or 1.4 million deaths worldwide each year, according to the new Cancer Atlas. When deaths from tobacco-related cardiovascular and pulmonary diseases are included, the yearly death toll rises to nearly 5 million and it's expected to keep going up.

An estimated 1.25 billion men and women currently smoke cigarettes, and more than half of them will die from the habit, according to the newly issued second edition of the Tobacco Atlas.

The two atlases were released Monday at an International Union Against Cancer conference. The two statistics-packed guides are meant as reference guides for doctors, politicians, academics, students and attorneys who work on cancer and tobacco control.

Lung cancer remains the major illness among the 10.9 million new cases of cancer diagnosed each year, according to the Cancer Atlas. And it is not likely to be bumped from its perch: In countries like China, where 300 million men now smoke, lung cancer could eventually kill a million smokers a year, Seffrin said.

The authors and researchers responsible for the atlases fear that a reduction in the global prevalence of smoking would do little to curb what they called the "tobacco epidemic."

"Even if smoking rates decline worldwide, there will be a constant or even slightly increasing number of smokers due to population increases," said Michael Eriksen, director of the Institute of Public Health at Georgia State University.

In 2002, besides the nearly 11 million new cancer cases worldwide, there were nearly 7 million cancer deaths. By 2020, officials anticipate there will be 16 million new cases a year and 10 million deaths. An estimated 70 percent of those deaths will occur in developing countries, according to the Cancer Atlas. The number of new cases is largely the result of the increasing proportion of older people in the world.

I didn't realize the numbers were already so high.  :eek:
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#2 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 11:26 PM

And don't forget, it isn't just smokers who are at risk, it's everyone around them as well

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#3 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 12:22 AM

2nd hand smoke is more dangerous.
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#4 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 12:49 AM

Oh BOY! Here we go yet again!

OK, yes, smoking is unhealthy...I get it. As for the anti-smoking crowd...all I have to say is stay away from me when I'm smoking then. Period. The end.

Shall we list all the dangerous things in the world? That hurt and kill people? Here's just a few, off the top of my head.

WAR!
Cholesterol
Alcohol
car accidents...should we ban cars next?
Car exhaust fumes....first deal with the health hazzard that represents, then come talk to me about smoking.
polluting factory smoke from those factory pipes....that just can't be good.

Need I go on.

IMO all this thread is going to become is another go around about smoker's rights and non-smoker's rights, and whose rights are more important.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#5 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 12:52 AM

Ah, but you see, LotS, the difference is you CHOSE to smoke.  So hence, stay away from me when you light one up.  ;)  No one is forced to buy a pack and start the habit.  They chose to.  If they want to cut their lives short, that is fine by me.  Just don't take me out in the process.
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#6 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 12:53 AM

IMO all this thread is going to become is another go around about smoker's rights and non-smoker's rights, and whose rights are more important.

I'd say the chances are pretty high of that happening. ;) It's an OT trend, along with religious threads turning into gay marriage debates. :p
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#7 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 01:12 AM

LotS:

WAR!
Cholesterol
Alcohol
car accidents...should we ban cars next?
Car exhaust fumes....first deal with the health hazzard that represents, then come talk to me about smoking.
polluting factory smoke from those factory pipes....that just can't be good.

Mark: I'm for banning car accidents, not cars.
How about banning car exhaust fumes, not cars?  How about diesel truck fumes? ...Oh my goodness! Talk about choking in an all-out cancer factory! I think we should be allowed to puff on those exhaust pipes the same as we puff on our tobacco pipes, as long as they're still legal!  One just kills us a little quicker than the other, big deal. At least tobacco gives it's user a bit of pleasure during it's use.

Yes, now I'm ranting for the right to suck carbon monoxide from our car's tailpipes until we're blue, and have no pulse. When they grant me that right, without locking me up in the funny farm when I'm caught trying to do it, then they can talk to me about quitting tobacco for my "health", or eating foods with less cholesterol in them. :blush:

When all the hypocritical legislators, and doctors that guzzle down prodigious amounts of alcohol can stop drinking for a couple of years...then they can come to me about stopping my tobacco usage, and lowering my cholesterol intake...if we're still alive in a couple of years to bandy it back and forth.:sarcasm:
How do you like that, LotS?!  :upside:    ;)
Mark
Discussion is an exchange of knowledge: argument is an exchange of ignorance.
Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it.
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#8 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 03:46 AM

Yeah that second hand smoke from the Evil internal combustion engine. We need to get rid of those and do it today. I think that LA must have all private cars seize to save the lives of their citizens and then Super State Nanny can go save the say elsewhere.

Oh and sizeing those cars will save lives lost in auto accidents. As well as lower Energy costs.  This is a great idea. The state to save our lives from leaglly obtainable materials must sieze our ways to enjoy ourselves and to earn incomes to pay the taxes.

Also a billion dying over a 100 period. is not that bad a thing.What will our population on this planet be in that time frame? 10 or15 billion people?

Hell we are going to have the 400 millionth american born this year.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#9 Talkie Toaster

Talkie Toaster

There's no Shepard without Vakarian

• Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 06:28 AM

View PostG1223, on Jul 11 2006, 09:46 AM, said:

Yeah that second hand smoke from the Evil internal combustion engine. We need to get rid of those and do it today. I think that LA must have all private cars seize to save the lives of their citizens and then Super State Nanny can go save the say elsewhere.

Oh and sizeing those cars will save lives lost in auto accidents. As well as lower Energy costs.  This is a great idea. The state to save our lives from leaglly obtainable materials must sieze our ways to enjoy ourselves and to earn incomes to pay the taxes.

Without the interntal combustion engine modern society would fall apart. Never mind about agricultural production grinding to a halt, there'd be no way to distripute it in bulk as it is required. The emergency services would be equaly crippled.

Also a billion dying over a 100 period. is not that bad a thing.What will our population on this planet be in that time frame? 10 or15 billion people?

Yes, a billion people dying early, painful deaths isn't a bad thing at all! Especially when millions could be saved!!!  :rolleyes:
Blessed is the mind too small for doubt.

#10 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 07:29 AM

View PostGodeskian, on Jul 11 2006, 12:26 AM, said:

And don't forget, it isn't just smokers who are at risk, it's everyone around them as well

Same goes for the people in cities, who have to breathe in car exhaust fumes...or the fumes from factories. They need to deal with those before they even THINK about telling me to put out my cigarette.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#11 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 07:38 AM

View PostSpidey, on Jul 11 2006, 01:52 AM, said:

Ah, but you see, LotS, the difference is you CHOSE to smoke.  So hence, stay away from me when you light one up.

And the age old debate about whose rights are more important begins. I say stay away from me when I'm smoking, you say stay away from you while I'm smoking...so far we seem to be on the same page. The area we disagree seems to be in just where a person should be allowed to legally smoke.

I think a smoker should be allowed to legally smoke in the smoking section of a restaurant...And should definately be allowed to smoke outside the restaurant. But cities like NY seem to take great delight in discriminating against smokers.

Now you can argue it's not discrimination because smokers can still go out to eat...But really we can't. Because it isn't as enjoyable. And if a place of business, who requires MY money to survive, is going to ban something I enjoy doing...why should I even consider giving them my money?

On very rare occassions I have eaten at a non-smoking restaurant...but I've never spent my money. Usually it's when I'm with friends, or family, who want to eat there. I tell them that if the business doesn't have a smoking section I will not spend my money. So usually they treat me...and I'll treat them another time.

;)  No one is forced to buy a pack and start the habit.  They chose to.  If they want to cut their lives short, that is fine by me.  Just don't take me out in the process.

That's fair enough. Like I said above, for the most part we seem to be on the same page...but seem to differ as to where a smoker should be allowed to light up.

#12 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 07:52 AM

View PostLORD of the SWORD, on Jul 11 2006, 12:38 PM, said:

View PostSpidey, on Jul 11 2006, 01:52 AM, said:

Ah, but you see, LotS, the difference is you CHOSE to smoke.  So hence, stay away from me when you light one up.

And the age old debate about whose rights are more important begins. I say stay away from me when I'm smoking,

Actually, it's usually the potential victim who can get a restraining order against the potential evildoer, so it's the smoker who should stay away...

Not that we'll ever convince you of that... :angel:  I've read enough of these threads!!

At least all those third world smokers won't be tying up the courts and making lawers rich with back-and-forth lawsuits against tobacco companies...

Last weekend I discovered what I hope is a sign of the times - a totally smoke-free restaurant in Nashville!!!  By choice - the legislature won't touch it, the tobacco lobby is too strong here. A medium-upscale restaurant in a very trendy area that gets a lot of its customers from the multiplex almost next door and the shoppers in an upscale mall. Great menu and decent prices as well.   My new favorite restaurant!!!!  

Themis
Cats will never be extinct!

#13 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 08:27 AM

View PostTalkie Toaster, on Jul 11 2006, 07:28 AM, said:

Without the interntal combustion engine modern society would fall apart. Never mind about agricultural production grinding to a halt, there'd be no way to distripute it in bulk as it is required. The emergency services would be equaly crippled.

Oh but we are saving the lives all those people to whom smoke is cause of so many ills. As well as the lives of those who would die in accidents. No civilization is not worth that price we must be stupid and bend over backwards to save those lives.

Bluntly the smoke nazi's want to dictate the world to their whims. They want to be protected as if a guy lighting up at work in New Jersey is going to cause them to get sick in Georgia. But ask the Smoke Nazi's and their hands will raise into the sky.

They cannot deal withbars making choices they must have total access while trying to keep smokers off the streets even because the foul cloud of their smoke might get to them. Hell they are trying to make it Illegal for people to smoke in their own homes.

Yes the Smoke Nazi's are winning the day to day battle to errode everybody elses civil rights while demanding their own be protected.
Sad thing is the state goes along with it as they want to be the Nanny.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#14 Jid

Jid

Mad Prophet of Funk

• Islander
  • 12,554 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 09:41 AM

I usually try to stay out of these threads, since they're generally unpleasant, but I can't help but say:  So what?

In a century, you're going to see probably nearly an entire turnover in the world's population.  (i.e. in 100 years, pretty much everyone alive today is gonna be dead, smoking or not)

I get that smoking is bad for you - it's why I don't smoke.  And I get that lung cancer is a horrible way to die.  But I also get that smoking is a choice.  I personally think it's a matter of picking your poison though.

I mean, I don't particularily want someone telling me I can't go and buy a Supersize Double Quarter Pounder with Cheese Meal, even though it contains 111% of my RDI of fat (including 1 day's worth of trans fats) and 1650 calories (a bit under 3/4 of my daily calorie intake for weight maintenance).

Eating choices like that are gonna would me obese and kill me pretty early on too, but it's still my choice.  (And yes, I understand that for some people, obesity is part of a physical disorder that they can't help.  But the vast majority of overweight people wouldn't be if they made different choices in how they eat and live.)  And last I checked, heart disease and other obesity related diseases aren't much of a picnic either when it comes to ways to die.

So long as smokers choose to exercise their choice responsibly, and smoke in designated areas only, they aren't harming us non-smokers any worse than the other crap we breathe in on a daily basis.

Though, I would be remiss not to point out that I favour high taxes on tobacco products the same way I favour higher taxes on junk foods.  I feel that deliberately choosing to partake in habits that are likely going to put a strain on the health system at some point ought to come with a penalty of "pre-paying" for the health care you're going to need.

Edited by Jid, 11 July 2006 - 09:42 AM.

cervisiam tene rem specta

#15 Bobby

Bobby

FKA LiberalBob

• Islander
  • 4,369 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 09:49 AM

Why are they allowed to get away with making cigarettes so addictive anyway?  My mother and older sister both smoke and if they are without a cigarette they get very irritable.  Does the amount of nicotine in them have anything to do with it?  I don't see how people get past the soot taste that cigarettes leave in your mouth.  They make me gag and the after taste is awful.  Are some people more prone to becoming addicted to nicotine?

With regards to businesses and smoking, I really think that should be the owners choice.  If enough nonsmokers don't want to go there the business would go under.  And the nonsmoking ones would prosper so it would be a no brainer for the businesses to make the switch.

Edited by Caesar of the Stars, 11 July 2006 - 11:04 AM.

#16 scherzo

scherzo

I know things

• Islander
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 10:18 AM

Though, I would be remiss not to point out that I favour high taxes on tobacco products the same way I favour higher taxes on junk foods. I feel that deliberately choosing to partake in habits that are likely going to put a strain on the health system at some point ought to come with a penalty of "pre-paying" for the health care you're going to need.
Having government penalize it's citizens for their dietary choices, is just another example of the liberal fascist approach to a better world. We've now made the leap that doing YOURSELF harm, is destroying the fabric of society, so there's no limit to what Master can do to micro-manage our lives. It's for our own good though, so I suppose I should keep smilin' right?  :pout:

-scherzo
"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so."    -Ronald Reagan, October 27 1964
Posted Image

#17 veganmom

veganmom
  • Islander
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 10:27 AM

Hey, if you don't like the State/Nanny/Master telling you not to smoke, then keep your insurance payments up and don't come to the State/Nanny/Master's Medicare/Medicaid to help out with your hospital bills when you're dying of lung cancer.

That's pretty simple.

#18 Jid

Jid

Mad Prophet of Funk

• Islander
  • 12,554 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 10:38 AM

View Postscherzo, on Jul 11 2006, 09:18 AM, said:

Though, I would be remiss not to point out that I favour high taxes on tobacco products the same way I favour higher taxes on junk foods. I feel that deliberately choosing to partake in habits that are likely going to put a strain on the health system at some point ought to come with a penalty of "pre-paying" for the health care you're going to need.
Having government penalize it's citizens for their dietary choices, is just another example of the liberal fascist approach to a better world. We've now made the leap that doing YOURSELF harm, is destroying the fabric of society, so there's no limit to what Master can do to micro-manage our lives. It's for our own good though, so I suppose I should keep smilin' right?  :pout:

-scherzo
Well, ignoring the oxymoron of the term "liberal fascist," I may be mistaken on this, but my own experiences often have demonstrated that it's the people who don't have adequate insurance to cover such poor choices are often the ones that seem to make those choices.  (And to some extent, I can't blame 'em.  After all, gallon for gallon, cola is much cheaper than milk at the grocery store, just to use one example.)  Now, I'm definitely liberal in that I'd rather not see anyone turned away from medical care, even if they don't have a way to pay for it, but if they're going to be allowed to ruin their own health, I don't think it terribly bad that they contribute to their own care by paying for the priviledge of choosing to kill themselves through their choices in consumption.

#19 Bobby

Bobby

FKA LiberalBob

• Islander
  • 4,369 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 11:08 AM

View PostJid, on Jul 11 2006, 10:38 AM, said:

View Postscherzo, on Jul 11 2006, 09:18 AM, said:

-scherzo
Well, ignoring the oxymoron of the term "liberal fascist," I may be mistaken on this, but my own experiences often have demonstrated that it's the people who don't have adequate insurance to cover such poor choices are often the ones that seem to make those choices.  (And to some extent, I can't blame 'em.  After all, gallon for gallon, cola is much cheaper than milk at the grocery store, just to use one example.)  Now, I'm definitely liberal in that I'd rather not see anyone turned away from medical care, even if they don't have a way to pay for it, but if they're going to be allowed to ruin their own health, I don't think it terribly bad that they contribute to their own care by paying for the priviledge of choosing to kill themselves through their choices in consumption.

Wouldn't there have to be a universal health care system for that to be fair though?

#20 Jid

Jid

Mad Prophet of Funk

• Islander
  • 12,554 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 11:11 AM

Well, I'm a Canadian, so no problem there ;)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Smoking, Tobacco, Deaths, 2006

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users