• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#101 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 12:38 PM

View Postscherzo, on Jul 12 2006, 11:25 PM, said:

Well, ignoring the oxymoron of the term "liberal fascist,"...
Damn fine piece of NOT ignoring, which means I must explain it. Fact 1: there is nothing "liberal" about the crusade to enact increasingly restrictive legislation against LEGAL behavior. Fact 2: Nanny state "Liberals" are almost always the driving force behind nonsense like punitive taxes for buying a cheeseburger, and probably a hoard of similar fascist-alicious crap they haven't even dreamed up yet. I guess what I'm saying is the real oxymoron is calling Liberals "liberal".  :Oo:

Based on performance over the last six years, I would say the Republicans have proven that THEY were closet fascists all along.

Truth is, it's a misnomer in both cases and insulting.

Maybe I'll start referring to Republican facists in every post and see how you like it when the shoe's on the other foot.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#102 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 02:48 PM

This is juat a little too soon after the last one for me >.<

I have yet to build up the OT inexhaustable argumantative streak. Give me time. ;)

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#103 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 03:08 PM

This is a general Cool It being issued.

Please stop the name calling, even if it is 'scratched out'

Failure to do so will result in warnings being handed out.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#104 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 03:48 PM

Not all smokers think that way, Cheile. Promise.

You're right Scott, not all do think that way, I surely don't. I guess I just get fed up with those that like to paint all smokers as though they DO think that way, so they can take cheap shots at them. Nope, I'm not referring to you btw.... :)  I'm considerate of other peoples feeling on the subject, shame that isn't true for all smokers and non smokers.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#105 Mystery

Mystery

The Oncoming Storm

• Dead account
  • 66 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 05:01 PM

OH whatever.  They cannot make a prediction like that.  That's just a guess, like we're supposed to be out of oil right now.  Biggest collection fo oil right here in USA.

I don't pay attention to these Chicken Littles.  They make good money and must scream about something.

I moved to USA for sheer entertainment value, and I'm getting my moneys worth.
Extreme times that told me
They held me down every night
I didn't have much to say
I didn't get above the light
I closed my eyes and closed myself
And closed my world and never opened
Up to anything
That could get me alone
---Moby

#106 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 05:42 PM

^ Are you talking about peak oil or oil exhaustion? Those are too different things. Right now, the oil companies are finding one barrel of new oil for every two barrels they pump out of the ground. Given the projected increase in demand for oil from the U.S., other developed countries, China, and India, the analyses I'm familiar with predict all h*ll breaking loose shortly after 2025.

Edited by Solar Wind, 14 July 2006 - 05:45 PM.

"When the Fed is the bartender everybody drinks until they fall down." —Paul McCulley

"In truth, 'too big to fail' is not the worst thing we should fear – our financial institutions are now on their way to becoming 'too big to save'." —Simon Johnson

FKA:
TWP / An Affirming Flame / Solar Wind / Palisade

#107 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 07:23 PM

View PostSpidey, on Jul 11 2006, 09:44 PM, said:

Mark: To Caesar of the Stars, and Spidey...I was just joking.  :p  I guess you people don't know my posting style, yet. I just try to keep my posting light, and use humor in tense threads to break the monotony of picking at each other.
Mark
Discussion is an exchange of knowledge: argument is an exchange of ignorance.
Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it.
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#108 Bobby

Bobby

FKA LiberalBob

• Islander
  • 4,369 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 12:21 PM

View PostMark, on Jul 17 2006, 07:23 PM, said:

View PostSpidey, on Jul 11 2006, 09:44 PM, said:

Mark: To Caesar of the Stars, and Spidey...I was just joking.  :p  I guess you people don't know my posting style, yet. I just try to keep my posting light, and use humor in tense threads to break the monotony of picking at each other.

I thought you might be.  I got a good laugh out of it.

#109 Heropa

Heropa

Phantom of the Obtuse - Pubic Defender

• Islander
  • 474 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 02:15 PM

OK, I'm going to ignore all the other issues and stick with the smoke that sticks with you:

First off, smoking is a luxury only. It started being inhaled in small doses as it's own recreation and was put aside until you got to a safe time and place. It's only other good effects are the warming of the lungs and (in the leaf form) fragrance. The calming effects are linked to it's addictive dialation of blood vessels. If you (general) don't smoke in the first place you don't get much of a calming effect.

The tobacco industry grew itself bigger by deception and covering up it's own bad news. They had all the data showing that smoking was poison. I'm not against the poison as much as I'm against the lies.

Unlike Coke-a-cola, they couldn't just change the formula and move on when the addictive and damaging properties were found. (Coke started with cocaine in it before caffeine.) But unlike anyone else they conspired to make their product more addictive and ignored the health risk smoking caused.

As a big money maker in America, Big Tobacco got its way with our lives until the word got out. Then they got off easy. Cancer isn't "just death" it's a painful slow death, even when it's fast. They willingly put people through this, and still do. I wouldn't want to put anyone through it, let alone go through it. And I admit it's not a sure thing.

Smoking for the smoker is an indulgence, pure and simple. Smoking for those around it is an infliction of risk. Some smokers take that as an added thrill and most don't. But you don't notice the ones that don't. Knowing about the risk changes everything.

If we didn't have tobacco lobyists putting their illgotten money into coffers then we could do a more european job of taking the hazzard away. What we need to do is only provide smokes to those already smoking. (sold, given, whatever) State run shops could keep tabs on who's on it and not let anyone else start.

Sure! You've chosen to get hooked on a drug. Knowing what we know now, your children shouldn't have that choice available, nor peddled to them under the table. It can't be stopped cold as things are today. We've got to stop thinking of it as an isolated choice. It isn't.

However the isolation of smokers isn't fair either. Smoking areas should be indoors with lights on and the heat/AC on. This get out attitude is only to make smoking even less appealing to those  that may take it up. They see right through it.

All I can do about it is not smoke myself. Lead by example and all that.

Edited by Heropa, 18 July 2006 - 02:19 PM.

Your Heropa.
Here for something- there you go.

If you can't say anything nice, be accurate.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Smoking, Tobacco, Deaths, 2006

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users