108 replies to this topic

#21 Bobby

Bobby

FKA LiberalBob

• Islander
  • 4,369 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 11:26 AM

View PostJid, on Jul 11 2006, 11:11 AM, said:

Well, I'm a Canadian, so no problem there ;)

Does universal healthcare work?  I've read things that claim it can take months for people to get surgery and stuff, is that true?  I don't really see why everyone is against it here, an illness can wipe out people financially no matter where they are on the economic totem pole.

Edited by Caesar of the Stars, 11 July 2006 - 11:26 AM.

#22 Talkie Toaster

Talkie Toaster

There's no Shepard without Vakarian

• Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 11:26 AM

View PostG1223, on Jul 11 2006, 02:27 PM, said:

Oh but we are saving the lives all those people to whom smoke is cause of so many ills. As well as the lives of those who would die in accidents. No civilization is not worth that price we must be stupid and bend over backwards to save those lives.

:wacko:

I hope you're not being serious
Blessed is the mind too small for doubt.

#23 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 12:12 PM

Mark: 100,099 males and 80,163 females were diagnosed with lung cancer
90,121 males and 67,509 females died from lung cancer.
90% of all lung cancer was due to tobacco use, either directly, or through second-hand smoke.
Tobacco smoke contains 3,500 chemicals, 40 of which are known carcinogens in humans.

Car accidents are the leading cause of death the the USA.
30% of Americans are involved in alcohol-related auto-crashes in their lifetime.
$50 billion a year is spent on alcohol-related automobile accidents every year.
$10 billion is used to treat people for problems of alcohol abuse each year.
$2 billion is spent each year by alcohol's advertisers.

It seems to me that if we're gonna throw the taxation on tobacco because it kills over half of it's users, then we should be taxing alcohol with the same zeal.

Edited by Mark, 11 July 2006 - 12:12 PM.

Mark
Discussion is an exchange of knowledge: argument is an exchange of ignorance.
Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it.
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#24 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 12:28 PM

View Postveganmom, on Jul 11 2006, 11:27 AM, said:

Hey, if you don't like the State/Nanny/Master telling you not to smoke, then keep your insurance payments up and don't come to the State/Nanny/Master's Medicare/Medicaid to help out with your hospital bills when you're dying of lung cancer.

That's pretty simple.

I Do and Yet Super Nanny seems unable to make the Insurance Company which wanted the seatbelt law to drop the fees they charge us. "So here we come to save your life and we will not make the insurance companies drop their price a dime."

Look up in the sky. It's a uselss organ. No it's a Group of Protestors. No It's Super Nanny.

Super Nanny a child of a red taped planet. With the power to help you live a healthy life based on what she thinks is healthy. Able to force businesses to cater to the whims of people other than their customers. Able to Bend ruls to fit her agneda.
And disguised as a commitee to better the human race. Super Nanny wages a never ending battle against Freedom of Choice, Home Schooling , and anything where the state is kept out of monitering your home and life 24/7.

Comming for your freedoms real soon.

Edited by G1223, 11 July 2006 - 12:34 PM.

If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#25 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,062 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 12:36 PM

H'm. I wonder how many people guns have killed this century. Or cars. Or aeroplanes. Or obesity. Or diabetes or high cholesterol or the flu or war . . .

I think smoking should be encouraged. We need something to keep the number of humans on this limited-sized planet down.

Sign on the earth when someone is born:

Go Back! We're Full!

Edited by gsmonks, 11 July 2006 - 12:38 PM.

Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#26 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 12:44 PM

View PostG1223, on Jul 11 2006, 01:28 PM, said:

Look up in the sky. It's a uselss organ. No it's a Group of Protestors. No It's Super Nanny.

Super Nanny a child of a red taped planet. With the power to help you live a healthy life based on what she thinks is healthy. Able to force businesses to cater to the whims of people other than their customers. Able to Bend ruls to fit her agneda.
And disguised as a commitee to better the human race. Super Nanny wages a never ending battle against Freedom of Choice, Home Schooling , and anything where the state is kept out of monitering your home and life 24/7.

Comming for your freedoms real soon.

LMAO! Couldn't have phrased it better myself.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#27 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 01:05 PM

I want the statistics on pie!   Since I don't smoke, I'm more worried about pie...

Good thing is, there aren't many worries about secondhand pie.  That's, like, luck!

Lung cancer got my aunt several years back.  As she was gasping out her last breaths she was hallucinating, and one thing she was doing was lighting imaginary cigarettes.  I kinda wish we could have filmed that for a TV commercial.  Regardless of that, I've got an uncle who still smokes.  Luckily my parents both quit years and years ago...

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#28 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 01:23 PM

The first thing that strikes me is that the internal combustion engine and the automobile is the cornerstone of modern civilization.   It is the workhorse that keeps our civilization going.  If the automobile vanished today along with the internal combustion engine our civilization would collapse.  If tobacco disappeared from the face of the planet today a lot of smokers would whine, the tobacco industry would go bankrupt, and the rest of us wouldn’t have to deal with it anymore.  Even though it may seem like a necessity to some smokers but smoking is not one of the essential technological cornerstones of western civilization.

Second unlike fatty food or obesity the person chewing down on MacDonald’s everyday isn’t putting byproducts into the air that kills others.  That is the key difference you can kill yourself as much as you want but when you start killing others it isn’t right.  Myself I don’t ever expect to get rid of cigarettes and I don’t plan on doing so.  That said I’ll be happy if the price hits $10 a pack due to taxes on them and even happier at $15 or $20 a pack.  With all the tax money going to into paying for the damage smokers do to others.  

LOTS: I say stay away from me when I'm smoking, you say stay away from you while I'm smoking...so far we seem to be on the same page.
No one can dodge through the inevitable 5 to 10 feet of gauntlet of smokers puffing away outside the exit of any public building you want to go into.  I used to work for a Environmental Health and Safety Office and we always had to chase smokers away from the entrance of buildings even though they were supposed to be at least fifteen away from the entrance.  It reached the point where we had to chase them away to flush the firefighting hookup lines on the outside of the buildings and they’d head back in before we could even turn the system on.  At that point it was their fault if they got wet.  

LOTS: But cities like NY seem to take great delight in discriminating against smokers.
Our entire state has those laws and I’m proud of Albany for doing that.
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#29 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 01:46 PM

LOTS: But cities like NY seem to take great delight in discriminating against smokers.

CJ: Our entire state has those laws and I’m proud of Albany for doing that.

As am I.  And I don't see where the "delight" accusation comes from.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#30 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 01:50 PM

CJ Aegis:

Second unlike fatty food or obesity the person chewing down on MacDonald’s everyday isn’t putting byproducts into the air that kills others.

Mark:  :suspect: Oh, ho-ho-ho-ho...I beg to differ. You haven't been to the McDonald's around here, huh?  :p  
I thought cattle were bad about it...but they don't have anything on a human who's just eaten a couple of Big Mac's with cheese, and fries...then an apple pie with ice cream, for desert! GADS!  :wacko:
Mark
Discussion is an exchange of knowledge: argument is an exchange of ignorance.
Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it.
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#31 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 02:26 PM

View PostLORD of the SWORD, on Jul 11 2006, 08:38 AM, said:

View PostSpidey, on Jul 11 2006, 01:52 AM, said:

Ah, but you see, LotS, the difference is you CHOSE to smoke.  So hence, stay away from me when you light one up.

And the age old debate about whose rights are more important begins.

Does your right to do your drug outweigh his right to NOT do your drug (via exposure to your smoke)?  This is a no brainer, LoTS.

I think a smoker should be allowed to legally smoke in the smoking section of a restaurant...And should definately be allowed to smoke outside the restaurant. But cities like NY seem to take great delight in discriminating against smokers.

Now you can argue it's not discrimination because smokers can still go out to eat...But really we can't. Because it isn't as enjoyable.

I'd like to receive oral sex at a restaurant, because, if I can't, the meal really isn't as enjoyable.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#32 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 02:30 PM

View PostCJ AEGIS, on Jul 11 2006, 02:23 PM, said:

Our entire state has those laws and I’m proud of Albany for doing that.

It's too bad that phillips Morris chickened out of what they said they do if NY ever passed that law: Namely packing up their business, taking their jobs with them...putting countless NY employees on the unemployment line. And stopping their million dollar contributions to the NY city programs, museums, ect...

Would've love to seen the faces of the politicans that passed that law once they realized they were responsible for a lot of people being unemployeed, and that contributions to the city suddenly stopped....Would've been a kodak moment if ever there was.

But, sadly, PM chickened out...the wussies.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#33 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 02:32 PM

View PostScottEVill, on Jul 11 2006, 03:26 PM, said:

I'd like to receive oral sex at a restaurant, because, if I can't, the meal really isn't as enjoyable.

Then by all means find yourself a partner who is willing to blow you off while you eat. What's the problem here? Can't find someone willing to do it?

#34 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 02:32 PM

View PostScottEVill, on Jul 11 2006, 12:26 PM, said:

Ah, but you see, LotS, the difference is you CHOSE to smoke.  So hence, stay away from me when you light one up.

Does your right to do your drug outweigh his right to NOT do your drug (via exposure to your smoke)?  This is a no brainer, LoTS.

I think a smoker should be allowed to legally smoke in the smoking section of a restaurant...And should definately be allowed to smoke outside the restaurant. But cities like NY seem to take great delight in discriminating against smokers.

Now you can argue it's not discrimination because smokers can still go out to eat...But really we can't. Because it isn't as enjoyable.

:p~
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#35 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 02:35 PM

View PostScottEVill, on Jul 11 2006, 03:26 PM, said:

Ah, so it's about clean air then? Alright. Does a person's right to clean air outweigh a motorists right to drive his car? Or the factories right to pollute the air with their byproducts?

It's amazing how the anti-smoking crowd wants to avoid those issues and focus solely on smokers.

#36 Bobby

Bobby

FKA LiberalBob

• Islander
  • 4,369 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 02:42 PM

View PostRhea, on Jul 11 2006, 02:32 PM, said:

View PostScottEVill, on Jul 11 2006, 12:26 PM, said:

:p~

:look:

#37 Jid

Jid

Mad Prophet of Funk

• Islander
  • 12,554 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 02:42 PM

Ah, so it's about clean air then? Alright. Does a person's right to clean air outweigh a motorists right to drive his car? Or the factories right to pollute the air with their byproducts?

It's amazing how the anti-smoking crowd wants to avoid those issues and focus solely on smokers.

^Might have something to do with how people don't generally pipe car exhaust and factory emissions into restaurants, hmmm?  

Because last I checked, no one was trying to get smoking out on the street banned either.

Edited by Jid, 11 July 2006 - 02:43 PM.

cervisiam tene rem specta

#38 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 02:47 PM

The thing that bothers me most about many folks who smoke is that they do it right in front of entrances to buildings.  I have to get past the poison gas just to go in or out.  Another thing that annoys me is being behind people with cigarettes in their hands, but they barely take a puff.  They just hold it and let the poison blow right to my lungs.  Great.   :sarcasm:  Oh, and then my clothes start to smell, and I have to go home and wash 'em.  The best part is going to a casino and watching the old folks take a wiff of their cigarette and then a bigger wiff of their oxygen tank.
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#39 Bobby

Bobby

FKA LiberalBob

• Islander
  • 4,369 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 02:50 PM

So I take it we're going back to the horse drawn carriage and wagons?  Walking might help on the obesity front.  

In all seriousness, even though pollution from the vehicles is bad, it serves the whole of the community.  There do need to be alternative methods since global warming is real.    Cigarettes only give a fix to the person puffing on them.  

Was there a fire when you guys  wasted water trying to hose down the smokers?  Or were the cigarettes a fire hazard?

#40 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 02:53 PM

View PostJid, on Jul 11 2006, 12:42 PM, said:

^Might have something to do with how people don't generally pipe car exhaust and factory emissions into restaurants, hmmm?  

Because last I checked, no one was trying to get smoking out on the street banned either.

Has anyone ever heard of death by car exhaust?  The only times would be some one fuming themselves to death in a running car in a closed garage.  Smoke from a cigarette is in a lot closer proximity to other people than a car exaust pipe.  Car exaust doesn't cause cancer, or emphazima like a cigarette would.  There is no "death by second hand car exaust" because it doesn't exist.  And car exhaust doesn't stick to your clothes and funnel right into your lungs like a cigarette would, unless you suck on it.
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Smoking, Tobacco, Deaths, 2006

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users