• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 11:01 PM

Here's the link: http://www.smokerscl...?...le&sid=2490

Finally a airplane that caters to smokers...If I have to take a flight I'll definately see about trying to book a seat on this airline.

I can hear the screams of the non-smokers now. LOL.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#2 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 11:24 PM

Don't see why nonsmokers will scream. No one is forcing nonsmokers to fly that airline.

Interesting if it actually goes thru.

#3 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 11:32 PM

View PostLORD of the SWORD, on Jul 12 2006, 09:01 PM, said:

Here's the link: http://www.smokerscl...?...le&sid=2490

Finally a airplane that caters to smokers...If I have to take a flight I'll definately see about trying to book a seat on this airline.

I can hear the screams of the non-smokers now. LOL.

They say it will cost more because they'll have to change air filters more often - but maybe not, because smokers are proven not to care what impurities they inhale anyway.

I don't think you'd find any nonsmoker who would scream at smokers' only flights - unless you dragged us on one, for some bizarre reason.  :lol:

Edited by Rhea, 12 July 2006 - 11:37 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#4 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 11:43 PM

No I expect the screaming as smoke nazi's will do all they can to make smokers uncomfortable.

I keep wondering when the banning of Red Meat begins. Soon I am sure as Super Nanny will have a new cause to take freedoms away from us.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#5 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 11:50 PM

View PostG1223, on Jul 12 2006, 09:43 PM, said:

No I expect the screaming as smoke nazi's will do all they can to make smokers uncomfortable.

I keep wondering when the banning of Red Meat begins. Soon I am sure as Super Nanny will have a new cause to take freedoms away from us.

Red Herring. The price of meat has no more to do with a smokers' airline that does your first paragraph about smoke Nazis. No smokers will give a rat's ass if a bunch of smokers get om THEIR airline and puff away. At least use your common sense before you write stuff like this.

Edited by Rhea, 12 July 2006 - 11:51 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#6 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 12:05 AM

Rhea I have seen the smoke nazi's go so far as to protest a bar deciding to have a sealed off smoking section. They do not like the fact that a place where a smoker has been can make them sick years afterward. When the truth is there are other factors.

You might not like the fact that non smokers are seen by people as bullies but it does not change the fact they are.

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

#7 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 12:52 AM

These people have obviously never considered there might be a reason why smoking was banned on flights other than whole issue of breathing toxic?  Try fighting a fire at 30,000 feet over the middle of the Atlantic when some passenger sets their clothing or chair on fire.  For that matter try escaping a fire at that altitude.  With all the modern synthetic clothing and materials a single set of garments set afire on the contained environment of a plane could poison every person on the flight.  

If anyone actually interested in potentially dying from smoke inhalation years before the cancer catches up with you this airline should be great for you.  Myself I don’t expect the FAA to allow this airline into the country for the very fact that their airplanes would be a flying tinderbox.

Edited by CJ AEGIS, 13 July 2006 - 12:52 AM.

"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#8 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 12:56 AM

How about dealing with a customer who has a heart attack at the same altitutde. Or a roof of the passanger compartment snapping off.

And thank you for pointing out what tools the smoke nazis will use.

TANSTAAFL

#9 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 01:00 AM

View PostG1223, on Jul 13 2006, 06:56 AM, said:

How about dealing with a customer who has a heart attack at the same altitutde.

One person having a heart-attack, as much as it may suck for that one person is unlikely to kill every single person on the plane.

Or a roof of the passanger compartment snapping off.

:eek2: Has this ever actually happened?

And thank you for pointing out what tools the smoke nazis will use.

Please stop calling people with perfectly legitimate concerns (and CJ's comments were perfectly legitimate) nazi's. There has to be a better way to make your point than to use base personal insults in every single post.

Edited by Godeskian, 13 July 2006 - 01:01 AM.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#10 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 01:03 AM

Mmmmm...lung cancer airlines.  Whatever.  :whatsthat:
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#11 scherzo

scherzo

I know things

• Islander
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 01:50 AM

These people have obviously never considered there might be a reason why smoking was banned on flights other than whole issue of breathing toxic? Try fighting a fire at 30,000 feet over the middle of the Atlantic when some passenger sets their clothing or chair on fire. For that matter try escaping a fire at that altitude. With all the modern synthetic clothing and materials a single set of garments set afire on the contained environment of a plane could poison every person on the flight.
Smoking was allowed on flights for years without Irwin Allen movies breaking out on them. Sheesh I don't like flying or cigarettes, and this sounds irrational(although admittedly not impossible)even to me. Maybe if the stewardesses start substituting hair spray with kerosene...but until then, I think you'll be holding your breath a long time waiting for "The Taxiing Inferno" to hit the multiplex.  :dontgetit:

-scherzo
"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so."    -Ronald Reagan, October 27 1964
Posted Image

#12 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 04:08 AM

The planes in those days were also not filled with synthetic apolstery and carpeting nor stacked with pillows, plastics and the whole host of subsidiary materials that have crept aboard planes in the last thirty some years. For the first few decades of regular plane  service they were very spartan and it wasn't until the 1960s with the formation of the major air routes that you started seeing more acutrements on airliners. Also, those early airliners weren't pressurized and therefore weren't dependent on an internal oxygen supply that could be soured very quickly without the addition of costly scrubbers.
That being said it is kind of an extreme scenerio but also on those old flights not everyone would be smoking unlike this service where you have a self-selection effect that would mean all or most of the passengers would be, increasing the chance of something happening by orders of magnitude. At the very least thier insurance rates and therefore prices are going to be pretty ridiculous. I can't see them making enough of a profit to stay in the air very long.

Edited by tennyson, 13 July 2006 - 04:10 AM.

"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

#13 Broph

Broph
  • Islander
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 05:45 AM

View PostLORD of the SWORD, on Jul 13 2006, 04:01 AM, said:

You do realize that you'll have to fly to Germany first just to take a flight and then you'll have to fly to Asia, right?

#14 Broph

Broph
  • Islander
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 05:50 AM

View PostG1223, on Jul 13 2006, 04:43 AM, said:

I don't know if you realize how hypocritical that word is. Many people parrot the "nazi" term without ever thinking about it; it just "sounds cool" to say". You use it because you think that you're being controlled by others against your will. Well, if you had your way and everyone could smoke where they wanted, wouldn't non-smokers be controlled against their will? Of course, you might say that a non-smoker is "free" to not enter a smoking establishment, but that's still control - it's saying take it my way or don't take it at all.

Of course, smokers easily forget how they're being controlled by the tobacco companies - through advertising, through artificial increases in nicotine in the cigarettes, etc.

The term "nazi" is a very hateful word. There are implications beyond what you're likely trying to convey. You should consider the word carefully in the future before you use it in such a manner. The nazis did atrocious things; keeping public places smoke-free is hardly an atrocious thing.

#15 Broph

Broph
  • Islander
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 05:53 AM

View Postscherzo, on Jul 13 2006, 06:50 AM, said:

Smoking was allowed on flights for years without Irwin Allen movies breaking out on them. Sheesh I don't like flying or cigarettes, and this sounds irrational(although admittedly not impossible)even to me. Maybe if the stewardesses start substituting hair spray with kerosene...but until then, I think you'll be holding your breath a long time waiting for "The Taxiing Inferno" to hit the multiplex.  :dontgetit:

Yes, and flying was also a thing for the rich, the business-class, etc. It used to be that 75% of peopel flying were doing so for business and only 25% were flying for pleasure. The last time I looked, those figures were reversed, though business flying was making a comback.

Have you ever watched the show "Airline"? Have you seen some of the people on this show? They can barely get to the airport; they have no idea about rules or policies; some of them look like they can barely dress themselves. These are not people who should have flaming materials at 30,000 feet.

#16 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 07:59 AM

Hey, I'm all for it.   I think it's great.  Smokers've got what they want, and they've given nonsmokers the biggest excuse they'll ever need for not being sympathetic to 'em at all, airline-wise.  Next time any smoker starts complaining on a regular flight, the non-smokers can just say, "Hey, you shoulda flown on that other airline... the one they set up just for you!  But you didn't, so now, why not sit back and enjoy the cool, refreshing menthol flavor of a nice unfliltered Shutdafugup?" :)

Coming soon: buses, taxis, and restaurants, oh my! :)

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#17 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 08:08 AM

Oh but ZWolfe we have read in other threads where such places might get a smoke nazi walking in unknowingly. Then after their coughing fit go about shuting said smoking business,bus,and or taxi down.

They have no desire to share the planet with smokers. They are trying to prevent smokers from lighting up in their own homes or on their own property.

This is why I fear these people because if they can stop people smoking on their own property what is going to be their next great crusade. Maybe it will be fatty foods, or eating meat.

TANSTAAFL

#18 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 08:23 AM

Oh but ZWolfe we have read in other threads where such places might get a smoke nazi walking in unknowingly. Then after their coughing fit go about shuting said smoking business,bus,and or taxi down.

Nope.  If the airline has clearly stated that it's a smoker-friendly airline, then it'll be any non-smoker's turn to grab one-a them menthol things I was talking about. :)  I'd have no more sympathy for a non-smoker flying Nicotine Air than I would a smoker flying the non-smoking airlines.  They'd have no case.  I'd never fly the smoker's airlines, because it's not for me.  If I walked onto one by accident, I'd just have to pop down the emergency breathing aparatus and sit there, quietly cursing myself for being too stupid to book my flight correctly and wait 'til we land so I could get out of there and take a shower and change my clothes.  I wouldn't file a "please protect me from myself 'cuz I'm a dummy" lawsuit.

They have no desire to share the planet with smokers. They are trying to prevent smokers from lighting up in their own homes or on their own property.

Ah, I dunno... I'm old-school straightedge, so I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for smokers, or drinkers, or drug-users.  But as long as whatever substance their personal weaknesses and shortcomings have driven them to, as long as it's a legal substance, then I've got no problem with 'em staying in their house, property, specially-set-up airline, etc. with it.

This is why I fear these people because if they can stop people smoking on their own property what is going to be their next great crusade. Maybe it will be fatty foods, or eating meat.

All these slippery slopes, and me without a sled.  Nobody's even stopped anyone from smoking on their own property yet, and we've already got 'em yankin' my Big Mac outta my hand...

Cheers,

Zwolf

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#19 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 08:35 AM

I didn't read the linked article, but it seems like this wouldn't ever work here for the same reason smoking sections cannot endure in American restaurants: not because people shouldn't have freedom of chocie--in an ideal world, they should--but because businesses cannot discriminate in hiring by employing ONLY smokers to crew these planes.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#20 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 08:44 AM

I don't think they'd have to hire only smokers.  They just say, "If you work here, you're going to be in a smoke-filled environment.  That's the job.  If you don't want to work there, then you should apply somewhere else."   If a non-smoker wanted to work there anyway... eh, s'ahright.  They just wouldn't be able to complain about the conditions, 'cuz they knew what they were going in.

I'd have no problem with a steakhouse hiring a vegetarian, either, as long as the vegetarian knew they'd be handling meat and were okay with that.   I mean, I'm an athiest, and I used to work at a gospel radio station.  (It wasn't when I started there, but changed formats).  I didn't have a problem with that - I just kept my opinions to myself as part of the job.  Wasn't any problem.

Cheers,

Zwolf

I'm never talking to you