andromeda3
  • Islander
  • 505 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 03:13 PM

Officials failed to pass on tsunami warning

John Aglionby in Jakarta and agencies in Pangandaran
Tuesday July 18, 2006
The Guardian

Officials in the Indonesian capital, Jakarta, failed to issue a tsunami warning despite receiving data about yesterday's earthquake 20 minutes before the first wave struck the island of Java.
One official told the Guardian they were too busy monitoring the aftershocks of the 7.7-magnitude quake that triggered the tsunami to raise the alarm. The government's science and technology minister, Kusmayanto Kadiman, confirmed today that Indonesia had received bulletins from the Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre in Hawaii and Japan's meteorological agency after the quake, but "we did not announce them".

"If it [the tsunami] did not occur, what would have happened?" he said in Jakarta.
The death toll rose to 341 today as rescuers combed the devastated coastal communities. At least 200 people are missing.

more:
http://www.guardian....1823219,00.html

I can't believe this!

#2 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 03:55 PM

This is very, very sad. I do have to ask if they really had the means to disseminate the information though? Having the information and not being able to effectively get it spread is horrible, but how would they have gotten it out?

I know many places in the more tornado prone areas in the US have alarms that sound, but were even those available to them? Do they have a system in place where all one has to do is flip a switch and an announcement goes out and the siren sounds?

I would hope so but I know how poor Indonesia is and how many other problems they face.

I can also understand ( but don't necessarily agree with ) the thought of "Don't cause a panick that might get even more people killed."
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#3 Peridot

Peridot

Elf Lynx

• Islander
  • 2,915 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 10:04 PM

View PostShalamar, on Jul 18 2006, 09:55 PM, said:

This is very, very sad. I do have to ask if they really had the means to disseminate the information though? Having the information and not being able to effectively get it spread is horrible, but how would they have gotten it out?

I'm not absolutely certain, but I think they didn't have the means, at least for the island of Java.  IIRC, I read an article at Yahoo that mentioned that the warning system was not set up for Java yet, and was not expected to be set up until 2007.

And yes, very sad.  Moving water has such great power, and we are, with all our technology and science, still so vulnerable to its power.

Peridot

#4 Peridot

Peridot

Elf Lynx

• Islander
  • 2,915 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 01:28 AM

Found an article that gives some information on where the system is at this point in time.  It has a little map as well.

http://news.bbc.co.u...fic/5191190.stm

Peridot

#5 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 01:35 AM

Thank you for finding that article, Peridot. It's sad that such networks take time, and that the planet isn't giving it to us.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#6 andromeda3

andromeda3
  • Islander
  • 505 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 05:35 AM

Thank you for the link, Peridot!  :)

Sorry for not getting back to this thread earlier. :blush:

After reading several newspapers and news sites and
Science and Technology Minister Kusmayanto Kadimanís statements that changed over time, like
(paraphrase):
No, we didnít warn anybody; then next day, after some criticism and more questions: yes, we did try to warn people

and the explanations/excuses given for not passing on the warning:

they were too busy monitoring the aftershocks,
they didnít want to cause a panic,
they thought the earthquake would serve as a warning,
they didnít have the equipment,
they didnít have the time,
they couldnít have reached many people with their warning anyway

I was so frustrated and sad that my post would have come out as a rant.

Because it seems the international warning system worked, but the regional warning system didnít.
http://news.bbc.co.u...fic/5202138.stm
Officials have faced questions about why no tsunami warning of the tsunami was given to local people.
US and Japanese agencies sent out warning bulletins, but the government says it was unable to relay the message to the coast.
On Thursday it emerged that text messages sent to government officials by the national meteorological agency after the earthquake contained only the coordinates of the earthquake and no tsunami warning.

Thanks for listening!
:love:

Some links:

http://www.usatoday....a-tsunami_x.htm
The Hawaii-based Pacific Tsunami Warning Center and Japan's Meteorological Agency issued warnings of a possible tsunami about 15 minutes after Monday's quake. The tsunami struck Java about 45 minutes later ó before authorities had time to warn anyone on the coast.
Science and Technology Minister Kusmayanto Kadiman appeared to back away from comments made Tuesday that the government received both regional tsunami bulletins, but did not attempt to announce the warnings.

http://www.guardian....1823917,00.html
One official told the Guardian they were too busy monitoring the aftershocks of the 7.7-magnitude quake that triggered the tsunami to raise the alarm. The government's science and technology minister, Kusmayanto Kadiman, confirmed last night that Indonesia had received bulletins from the Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre in Hawaii and Japan's meteorological agency after the quake, but "we did not announce them".

"If it [the tsunami] did not occur, what would have happened?" he said in Jakarta.

http://www.thejakart...a...3732&irec=3
PANGANDARAN, West Java (AP): The death toll from the Indonesian tsunami rose to 659 after emergency workers reached previously inaccessible areas along Java island's southern coast, the government said Saturday. Another 330 people are missing.

#7 Peridot

Peridot

Elf Lynx

• Islander
  • 2,915 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 11:03 PM

^  ^
You're welcome!  Our family tends to keep an eye on natural disasters, given the fields our kids want to go into.

Thank you for your links as well---I had also seen somewhere that the death toll had risen.  And not done yet, I sadly expect.  :(

Peridot

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Natural Disasters, Asian Tsunami, Indonesia, 2006

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users