80 replies to this topic

#41 Bobby

Bobby

FKA LiberalBob

• Islander
  • 4,369 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 06:23 AM

View Postscherzo, on Jul 29 2006, 03:00 AM, said:

Which brings us back to the beginning, that gay/lesbien people are fully capable of being horrible people.
Now that it's been confirmed that for gays, being "horrible", can simply mean not lining up like obedient sheep and voting left, I'll bet "The Horribles"  number in the hundreds of thousands.(might be a good time to buy stock in tar and feathers) Mary Cheney was probably fitted for her horns and forked tail, the second she considered ANYTHING besides her sexuality worthy of consideration. In her defense, the thought police might try to remember that Kerry was opposed to gay marriage too, before they break out the torches.

-scherzo

If Bush had ANYTHING else besides an anti gay platform to get elected but that was his biggest issue.  And when it came time to try to get attention for her bookl she had NO problems saying she didn't like Bush using  fear of gay marriage as a stepping stone to the White House.

Edited to add: http://www.msnbc.msn.../site/newsweek/

Gay marriage was a key part of Karl Rove's turnout strategy, and stood out as one of the cultural fault lines dividing the two Americas. Overwhelmingly, Americans say they oppose same-sex marriage, yet favor civil unions and other rights for gay couples. But the issue became a catchall for the concerns of Christian conservatives, who were already fed up with the many restrictions "activist" judges had imposed on them: rulings protecting abortion, banning school prayer and limiting religious displays in public buildings. The biggest concern: that judges in their states would follow the Massachusetts Supreme Court and force gay marriage on them. "It was a target," says Tony Perkins, president of the conservative Family Research Council. "It was a very clear focus of where to channel their frustration, their aggravation at what the courts have done."

The one question that looms over all of these state battles: what will Bush do? Appealing to evangelicals during the campaign, the president repeatedly said he'd push for a federal constitutional amendment outlawing same-sex marriages. But Bush has shown no real enthusiasm for the issue. Christian leaders had to lean on him to back it, and even then he was slow to embrace it.

Apparently Bush's heart wasn't in it either, just a means to an end.  

Even the Log Cabin gays denounced them using the issue:

http://www.sfgate.co...MNGNG57QKI1.DTL

"This is really a declaration of war on gay and lesbian families,'' said Patrick Guerriero, executive director of the Log Cabin Republicans, the nation's largest gay Republican group. Guerriero called Bush's proposal a crude political gesture to appease the religious right, while others characterized it as a desperate strategy by a White House growing anxious about its re-election chances.

Guerriero said that a number of gay Republicans, including those who now serve in the Bush administration, will be doing a lot of "soul searching'' in the coming days. He held out the possibility that the Republican group that endorsed Bush in 2000 will refuse to do so in 2004, potentially costing the president upward of 1 million gay votes.

"The president's move this morning has woken up a giant,'' Guerriero said.

"While I believe marriage is between a man and a woman, for 200 years, this has been a state issue. I oppose this election-year effort to amend the Constitution in an area that each state can adequately address, and I will vote against such an amendment if it comes to the Senate floor,'' Kerry said.

Edwards also said that, while he opposes same-sex marriage, he also opposes the amendment.

"We have had our Constitution for more than 200 years. We amended it to abolish slavery and ensure women could vote. We should not amend it over politics,'' Edwards said.

http://en.wikipedia....bin_Republicans

The Log Cabin stresses its loyalty to the Republican Party. "We are loyal Republicans," its website says. "We believe in low taxes, limited government, strong defense, free markets, personal responsibility, and individual liberty. Log Cabin represents an important part of the American family — taxpaying, hard working people who proudly believe in this nation's greatness."

But Log Cabin dissents from conservative Republican views on matters relating to gay and lesbian rights. "We also believe all Americans have the right to liberty, freedom, and equality," it says. "Log Cabin stands up against those who preach hatred and intolerance. We stand up for the idea that all Americans deserve to be treated equal-regardless of their sexual orientation."

"The radical right has drawn Republican leaders into a culture war as the 2004 election approaches. With polls against them, the radical right has responded with more desperate rhetoric. They're using fears about gay civil marriage in their effort to engineer a public backlash. Scare tactics have failed in the past. They will fail again. That's because most Americans understand the meaning of freedom. It is not reserved for the select few. We all have the right to freedom and personal liberty."

Similarly many social conservatives and Christian evangelicals in the Republican Party refuse to recognize Log Cabin as part of the party, and many Republican office-holders refuse to meet with them or respond to their initiatives. In March 2004, for example, Kansas senator Sam Brownback said that Log Cabin's activities in support of same-sex marriage were "hurting the party they claim to support." He commended Bush for what he called "his bold and principled stand in support of a constitutional amendment protecting marriage."

Bolding mine.

I wonder why they wouldn't recognize or meet with them.  Couldn't be because they are homosexuals...

Edited by Life for Rent, 29 July 2006 - 07:37 AM.

#42 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 08:23 AM

View Postscherzo, on Jul 29 2006, 04:00 AM, said:

Which brings us back to the beginning, that gay/lesbien people are fully capable of being horrible people.
Now that it's been confirmed that for gays, being "horrible", can simply mean not lining up like obedient sheep and voting left, I'll bet "The Horribles"  number in the hundreds of thousands.

No, being "horrible" means lining up with the enemy of everything we stand for.  Kerry might not be pro gay marriage, but he IS pro civil unions.  Bush is not only NOT pro civil unions, he wants to amend antigay discrimination into the constitution and he signed off on a reelection strategy that demonized gays.  

So let's grow a little persepctive here, shall we?  

Mary Cheney is free to think however she likes, free to *vote* however she likes--but actions have consequences.  She's a traitor of kind, and she's being treated as such.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#43 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 09:04 AM

6 to 5 and pick 'em, dude.
:Oo:

Um... North by northeast and fry an onion... the water is in the jug... blue seven! Blue seven!

What are we talking about? :dontgetit:

#44 Rhys

Rhys

... a learning experience.

• Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 09:21 AM

View Posttvnut, on Jul 29 2006, 01:51 AM, said:

Which brings me to another question; Is it bigotry to call/label some one a bigot?

That depends what motivated it.

If they demonstrated their bigotry, then no, it's not.  (May not be polite, but it's not bigotry.)

If, for example, you're labeling them a bigot because they happen to be white or straight or Christian, then yes, it is.

Rhys

Edited by Rhys, 29 July 2006 - 09:21 AM.

"It's easy to bond over hating something together - The Internet is total proof of that." Cyd/Codex, The Guild

Change the world!  No one can do everything, but everyone can do something.

#45 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,126 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 10:36 AM

Because I have friends and a relative who are homosexual, I have been aware for many years of bad apples in their camp, from women who adopt girls and indoctrinate them into becoming nut-punching men-haters (this, from a four-year-old little girl whose mother is a real piece of work, for example) to men who are promiscuous, straight-hating thugs.

However, examples like this are pretty much meaningless, as a random sampling of any slice of the population will turn up bad apples.

Like attracts like, and inevitably the bad apples like to collect in one place where they like to feel that their behaviour is both "normal" and "appropriate". Rednecks and thieves do this too.

I have a saying, however: "I know there's sh*t around; that doesn't mean I have to step in it."
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#46 scherzo

scherzo

I know things

• Islander
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 11:28 AM

I wonder why they wouldn't recognize or meet with them. Couldn't be because they are homosexuals...
More likely because their imperative isn't promoting support for the Republican party, but rather compelling the GOP itself to fall in step with a homosexual agenda. It's a poor fit.

Frankly if a belief in "low taxes, limited government, strong defense, free markets, personal responsibility, and individual liberty" is trumped by the need for symbolic validation in the form of shiny new marriage law...they need to stop whining and switch parties already.

No, being "horrible" means lining up with the enemy of everything we stand for. Kerry might not be pro gay marriage, but he IS pro civil unions. Bush is not only NOT pro civil unions, he wants to amend antigay discrimination into the constitution and he signed off on a reelection strategy that demonized gays.

So let's grow a little persepctive here, shall we?
When you call a person "horrible" for not voting the way you insist they do, you lose the privilege to start lecturing folks on "perspective". From where I'm standing, the gay activists are coming off like a particularly nasty strain of cultists, with a zero tolerance policy for divergent points of view.

Mary Cheney is free to think however she likes, free to *vote* however she likes--but actions have consequences. She's a traitor of kind, and she's being treated as such.
Maybe she didn't consider herself a member of your little club to begin with Evill. Getting a good up close look at your membership guidelines, doesn't make it seem all that appealing I must say. She probably considers being a plain old independent thinking American citizen, better than slavishly following a dogmatic group agenda. Horrible isn't it?

-scherzo
"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so."    -Ronald Reagan, October 27 1964
Posted Image

#47 Bobby

Bobby

FKA LiberalBob

• Islander
  • 4,369 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 01:22 PM

When you call a person "horrible" for not voting the way you insist they do, you lose the privilege to start lecturing folks on "perspective". From where I'm standing, the gay activists are coming off like a particularly nasty strain of cultists, with a zero tolerance policy for divergent points of view.

That's the funny thing about perspective, the Religious Right comes off the exact same way.

#48 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 02:01 PM

Frankly if a belief in "low taxes, limited government, strong defense, free markets, personal responsibility, and individual liberty" is trumped by the need for symbolic validation in the form of shiny new marriage law...they need to stop whining and switch parties already.

Let me know when they start standing for anything remotely close to what they claim and then the argument will have merit. All I've seen is big government getting bigger, welfare for the well off, Waste, fraud, back breaking deficits and an incompetently
led, unnessesary war that has bankcrupted the country. I do however agree that they need to switch parties. The GOP no longer stands for fiscally conservative policies, small government, personal responsibility (heck they are the poster children for buck passing and scape goating on the political scene) and pandering to the religious right. Why on Earth any gay would support a party that basically loathes them and attempts at every turn to legislate them into oblivian is beyond me.

Maybe she didn't consider herself a member of your little club to begin with Evill. Getting a good up close look at your membership guidelines, doesn't make it seem all that appealing I must say. She probably considers being a plain old independent thinking American citizen, better than slavishly following a dogmatic group agenda. Horrible isn't it?

A plain ole American whose father is VP of the country under a President that feels she ought have less rights than other Americans.  A father who loves his daughter so much he'd sell her out to a party and an administration that tends to treat people (like his daughter) like crap. I don't call that being a "plain ole independent thinking American". I call that "plain ole ignorant". Apparently Mary holds dear ole dad in higher regard than dear ole dad holds Mary. If one of my kids was gay, I could never support a party or a president that treated that child with such distain.

That's the funny thing about perspective, the Religious Right comes off the exact same way.

Amen!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#49 Bobby

Bobby

FKA LiberalBob

• Islander
  • 4,369 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 02:15 PM

View PostLin731, on Jul 29 2006, 02:01 PM, said:

Let me know when they start standing for anything remotely close to what they claim and then the argument will have merit. All I've seen is big government getting bigger, welfare for the well off, Waste, fraud, back breaking deficits and an incompetently
led, unnessesary war that has bankcrupted the country. I do however agree that they need to switch parties. The GOP no longer stands for fiscally conservative policies, small government, personal responsibility (heck they are the poster children for buck passing and scape goating on the political scene) and pandering to the religious right. Why on Earth any gay would support a party that basically loathes them and attempts at every turn to legislate them into oblivian is beyond me.

A plain ole American whose father is VP of the country under a President that feels she ought have less rights than other Americans.  A father who loves his daughter so much he'd sell her out to a party and an administration that tends to treat people (like his daughter) like crap. I don't call that being a "plain ole independent thinking American". I call that "plain ole ignorant". Apparently Mary holds dear ole dad in higher regard than dear ole dad holds Mary. If one of my kids was gay, I could never support a party or a president that treated that child with such distain.

Amen!

I need a What Lin731 said button!  :)

#50 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 04:34 PM

View PostZwolf, on Jul 27 2006, 08:32 AM, said:

One woman who signed a petition against gay marriage says she was berated as a bigot by a gay man,

Did the shoe fit, though?  How'd the gay man know she'd signed the petition?.

Somebody got a copy of the list of folks that signed the petition and published it. Now the people that signed the petition are being harassed.

Which just goes to show you that gay people can be just as viscious as straights when the tables are turned. Gee, they must be human like the rest of us. :p

Edited by Rhea, 29 July 2006 - 04:37 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#51 scherzo

scherzo

I know things

• Islander
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 05:39 PM

Let me know when they start standing for anything remotely close to what they claim and then the argument will have merit. All I've seen is big government getting bigger, welfare for the well off, Waste, fraud, back breaking deficits and an incompetently led, unnessesary war that has bankcrupted the country. I do however agree that they need to switch parties. The GOP no longer stands for fiscally conservative policies, small government, personal responsibility (heck they are the poster children for buck passing and scape goating on the political scene) and pandering to the religious right. Why on Earth any gay would support a party that basically loathes them and attempts at every turn to legislate them into oblivian is beyond me.
Legislate homosexuals into oblivion? When this extermination proposal actually make it's journey from inflammatory leftist fantasy to tangible reality, I'll start taking this "gay oppression" nonsense seriously. In the mean time, I'll just have to take you at your word about how much we Republicans "loathe" gays.

BTW, the GOP policies you mention above are chapter and verse, the reasons given by Log Cabin gays for their support of the party. Saying the current party isn't living up to those ideals doesn't explain why, it's ok to call gays "horrible" for not endorsing the alternative. Especially when the alternative party stand for none of the above right from jump. In your opinion, who should the REAL conservatives have voted for in November 2004? :Oo:

A plain ole American whose father is VP of the country under a President that feels she ought have less rights than other Americans. A father who loves his daughter so much he'd sell her out to a party and an administration that tends to treat people (like his daughter) like crap. I don't call that being a "plain ole independent thinking American". I call that "plain ole ignorant". Apparently Mary holds dear ole dad in higher regard than dear ole dad holds Mary. If one of my kids was gay, I could never support a party or a president that treated that child with such distain.
Gays do not have less rights than other Americans Lin. The activists however HAVE done an amazing job of framing the marriage issue as if the institution itself, was created with a discriminatory bias as it's driving force. Not everyone is playing along just yet, but as I've said before...the self righteous anger and victim rhetoric, is working. Reading your posts here, one would think gays were being herded up and shipped off to re-education camps, and yet people who know better risk big trouble even arguing the point.

Thing is though...you've upped the ante considerably if you're now seeking out and destroying "race traitors" as a matter of course. I think this quote from Life for Rent sums up the situation neatly:

One religious faith emulates another. The Church of the Politically Correct even has a similar disdain for heresy apparently. :dontgetit:

-scherzo
"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so."    -Ronald Reagan, October 27 1964
Posted Image

#52 Bobby

Bobby

FKA LiberalBob

• Islander
  • 4,369 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 05:40 PM

View PostDelvo, on Jul 29 2006, 09:04 AM, said:

:Oo:

Um... North by northeast and fry an onion... the water is in the jug... blue seven! Blue seven!

What are we talking about? :dontgetit:

Roger, Roger!  Ten Four!

Actually, I didn't know what Scott meant either... :unsure:

#53 Bobby

Bobby

FKA LiberalBob

• Islander
  • 4,369 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 06:16 PM

I noted that you used the term "homosexual agenda", what about the "Christian agenda?"

http://www.moralmajo...i...k=view&id=9

More than 25 years have passed since the Moral Majority was born. The fruit of our never-ending labors was blessed by God and became obvious to the world on November 2, 2004 when more than 30 million “faith and values” voters went to the polls and made the difference in America.

The battle is not over by any means. We have thrown down the gauntlet. The left is furious. Everyone now knows that the stage is set for the church of Jesus Christ to turn this nation back to the faith of our fathers and the Judeo-Christian ethic. New Supreme Court justices can overturn Roe vs. Wade. The Federal Marriage Amendment to the U.S. Constitution can forever define the family as one man married to one woman. Any senator who opposes this FMA could face the same fate Sen. Tom Daschle experienced. I truly believe we can bring 40 million “faith and values” voters to the polls in 2008 to assure that Sen. Hillary Clinton, or someone of her ilk, will never be president of this nation. But, I need one million new charter members of TMMC immediately.

http://www.focusacti.../A000000105.cfm

[/b] I can be more effective in fighting for the Marriage Protection Amendment and against judicial tyranny. To date, we are hearing from members of Congress that too many Christians have been no-shows. But by working together we can change that. We can tackle head-on the most troubling problems facing our great nation and begin changing its direction before it is too late.

Why a separate organization?

Because gifts to Focus on the Family are tax deductible, the Internal Revenue Service severely limits its involvement in such issues. Speaking for Focus on the Family, I can only take stands on ballot measures and lobby legislative bodies to a very limited extent. But Focus on the Family Action is formed under IRS section 501©(4). It will be free of any such restrictions and allow me to speak out freely on the range of issues that affect the family

When this extermination proposal actually make it's journey from inflammatory leftist fantasy to tangible reality, I'll start taking this "gay oppression" nonsense seriously. In the mean time, I'll just have to take you at your word about how much we Republicans "loathe" gays

And Focus on the Family believes in reparative therapy, fyi.

Edited by Life for Rent, 29 July 2006 - 06:18 PM.

#54 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 06:55 PM

QUOTE(Delvo @ Jul 29 2006, 09:04 AM)

What are we talking about?

Roger, Roger! Ten Four!

The grey goose is in the air.  REPEAT, ALL STATIONS:  The grey goose is in the air.

Could someone please get me a copy of the homosexual agenda?  All these years and toaster ovens, and I still don't have one.

Edited by waterpanther, 29 July 2006 - 06:56 PM.

Posted Image

#55 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 08:08 PM

WP: Could someone please get me a copy of the homosexual agenda? All these years and toaster ovens, and I still don't have one.

Honest to god....Isn't it at least out in paperback now?

:blink:
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#56 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 08:21 PM

View PostZwolf, on Jul 27 2006, 08:32 AM, said:

Straight people say they have been taunted as "breeders."

Well... aren't we?  Everybody I know is the product of straight people breeding!  Or at least they were straight at the time.  There could be some test-tube babies in the batch that I'm not aware of, but, yup, for the most part, breeders are straights.  

Luckily, though, not all straights are breeders.  There's too damn many people around as it is.

One woman who signed a petition against gay marriage says she was berated as a bigot by a gay man,

Did the shoe fit, though?  How'd the gay man know she'd signed the petition?  Was she bragging on it or something?  Doth milady protesteth too much, mayhap?

and another complained that dog feces were left next to her car.

Okay, now this one really has me confuzzled.  The sh*t's next to her car, and she's assuming this means she's being oppressed?   If I find doggie do next to my car, I assume that a dog was wandering by and chose that place to take a dump.  Now, if I found dog crap on my car, I might assume differently.  Dog crap on your car means only three things:  (1) Somebody's being hateful to you.  (2) A circus dog was wandering by and had a call of nature (because circus dogs so a lot of jumping on things, y'see), or (3) Snoopy was up in his Sopwith Camel, dog-fighting the Red Baron, and got the crap scared out of him by the Red Baron's sudden Immelmen turn-and-strafe.  If you believe this happened, then you look from the crap on your car to the sky, shake your fist, and scream, "Curse you, Red Baron!"  Followed by a frozen pizza boycott.

And what kind of chickens**t prankster would put dog crap next to their victim's car?  That's like, "Man, I hate that guy... I'm gonna key the curb he's parked next to!  That'll teach him!"   Finding crap next to your car and assuming some mean ol' hater was trying to victimize you is hardly a logical or even sane reaction...

Cheers,

Zwolf

And THIS is why zwolf ought to run for president.

;)

Lil
Posted Image

#57 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 08:39 PM

Honest to god....Isn't it at least out in paperback now?

:blink:

And there are at least sixteen different translations. And book on audiotape! And large print editions, for those who need their agenda up close and personal. ;)
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#58 scherzo

scherzo

I know things

• Islander
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 09:10 PM

Could someone please get me a copy of the homosexual agenda?
Why settle for a copy when you can have the original. It was initially scrawled on the back of a vomit stained "Best of Foxy" album cover, by the young activist Heywood Jablowme. Since 1977 it has sat prominently above a toilet paper dispenser in the men's room of the San Francisco Exploratorium.

Mostly because no one wants to touch it.  :crazy:

-scherzo
Posted Image

#59 Peridot

Peridot

Elf Lynx

• Islander
  • 2,916 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 09:47 PM

View Postwaterpanther, on Jul 28 2006, 01:45 AM, said:

Peridot, would you explain this part of your post, please?

How many Native American women had their lives blown out like candles because they were the "breeders" of the next generation
?

Waterpanther, did my response above along with Nikcara's post answer your question?  Let me know please if not, and I will try to clarify.

View PostLife for Rent, on Jul 30 2006, 12:16 AM, said:

I noted that you used the term "homosexual agenda", what about the "Christian agenda?"

Well....the most recent Christian agenda in our church was collecting books and crayons to send to a school in Zimbabwe.  Oh, and OTC medical supplies. :angel:

James Dobson doesn't speak for all Christians, anymore than George W. Bush speaks for all Americans, or Ted Kennedy for all Democrats.  Just thought that was worth pointing out.

Carry on.

Peridot

#60 Eskaminzim

Eskaminzim

Head eggs and butt toast

• Islander
  • 559 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 09:53 PM

WP:

I thought you still had your copy of the homosexual agenda from when we were still proudly swearing alligence to the ELA.  You WERE number 9, were you not?  Surely not so much time has passed that you've already forgotten what you blood-swore on?

Hmmm.

:::writing down in my little black book:::

Things aren't looking good for you, my dear co-author.  Not good at all.  I'll have to speak to the others, but I don't think that #1 or #2 are going to be very pleased with you.

ELA#3

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Massachusetts, Cape Code, Heterosexual Discrimination, 2006

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users