80 replies to this topic

#61 Mystery

Mystery

The Oncoming Storm

• Dead account
  • 66 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 10:05 AM

View Postwaterpanther, on Jul 29 2006, 06:55 PM, said:

Could someone please get me a copy of the homosexual agenda?  All these years and toaster ovens, and I still don't have one.

Here.  :D

http://www.bettybowe...homoagenda.html

Edited by Mystery, 30 July 2006 - 10:05 AM.

Extreme times that told me
They held me down every night
I didn't have much to say
I didn't get above the light
I closed my eyes and closed myself
And closed my world and never opened
Up to anything
That could get me alone
---Moby

#62 Bobby

Bobby

FKA LiberalBob

• Islander
  • 4,369 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 11:01 AM

Well....the most recent Christian agenda in our church was collecting books and crayons to send to a school in Zimbabwe. Oh, and OTC medical supplies.  

James Dobson doesn't speak for all Christians, anymore than George W. Bush speaks for all Americans, or Ted Kennedy for all Democrats. Just thought that was worth pointing out.

This was top story for AOL news this morning.

http://www.nytimes.c...amp;partner=AOL

Disowning Conservative Politics, Evangelical Pastor Rattles Flock

MAPLEWOOD, Minn. — Like most pastors who lead thriving evangelical megachurches, the Rev. Gregory A. Boyd was asked frequently to give his blessing — and the church’s — to conservative political candidates and causes.

The requests came from church members and visitors alike: Would he please announce a rally against gay marriage during services? Would he introduce a politician from the pulpit? Could members set up a table in the lobby promoting their anti-abortion work? Would the church distribute “voters’ guides” that all but endorsed Republican candidates? And with the country at war, please couldn’t the church hang an American flag in the sanctuary?

After refusing each time, Mr. Boyd finally became fed up, he said. Before the last presidential election, he preached six sermons called “The Cross and the Sword” in which he said the church should steer clear of politics, give up moralizing on sexual issues, stop claiming the United States as a “Christian nation” and stop glorifying American military campaigns.

“When the church wins the culture wars, it inevitably loses,” Mr. Boyd preached. “When it conquers the world, it becomes the world. When you put your trust in the sword, you lose the cross.”

Mr. Boyd says he is no liberal. He is opposed to abortion and thinks homosexuality is not God’s ideal. The response from his congregation at Woodland Hills Church here in suburban St. Paul — packed mostly with politically and theologically conservative, middle-class evangelicals — was passionate. Some members walked out of a sermon and never returned. By the time the dust had settled, Woodland Hills, which Mr. Boyd founded in 1992, had lost about 1,000 of its 5,000 members.

#63 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 01:09 PM

View PostPeridot, on Jul 28 2006, 08:02 PM, said:

View PostZwolf, on Jul 27 2006, 08:57 PM, said:

I understand what you're saying.  And I'm not really excusing the guy flinging it as an insult;  whatever the word was, he obviously meant it as an insult, so, he's a jerk for doing it and a bigot in his own right.  Calling any names sucks.
Agreed---I just don't care for name calling in the first place.  That's not to say I've never popped a label on some public figure or other when sitting around talking with friends or family, but I prefer to avoid it as much as possible.  Certainly I find it possible to speak strongly about something without utilizing name calling.
I need something to call able-bodied folks of the dangerous-to-the-disabled type.  "You stupid, lumbering cow" just isn't doing it for me anymore, not after the last couple days that I've had.  If I could have scared the stupid, lumbering cow sitting inside who jumped to her feet as the automatic door, a good five feet away from the button, began to open and lept into the opening without warning out of my way with words so that I could enter before it slammed shut on me, since there was no way in hell I was going to move out of her stupid, lumbering, bovine way, I wouldn't have had to run my rollator over her stupid, sandaled foot.  Okay, that was fun, but probably I shouldn't count on doing that again.  

A little help, please?  

Nonny

Edited by Nonny, 30 July 2006 - 01:10 PM.

Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#64 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 01:17 PM

Legislate homosexuals into oblivion? When this extermination proposal actually make it's journey from inflammatory leftist fantasy to tangible reality, I'll start taking this "gay oppression" nonsense seriously. In the mean time, I'll just have to take you at your word about how much we Republicans "loathe" gays.

Well I doubt they "love" gays given the amount of time they spend sucking up to the Christian Right or the fact that Bush and the GOP policy is to deny the equal protections afforded straight couples via marriage. Do I think they want to exterminate them? No. That would be far too honest (and messy) for most of them. What they do want is to drive them back into the closet. Folks like Lil Ricky Sanctimonious make that clear. Did the Republican run government say a word when those Phelps freaks were protesting at gay peoples funerals? Nope, not a peep. It didn't become a national issue to be discussed and condemned until they started doing it at military funerals. When you walk hand in hand with the Christian Right, that makes their views of gays crystal clear, while trying to ammend the constitution to bar gays from marrying, I'd say they make their feelings about gays more than clear.

BTW, the GOP policies you mention above are chapter and verse, the reasons given by Log Cabin gays for their support of the party. Saying the current party isn't living up to those ideals doesn't explain why, it's ok to call gays "horrible" for not endorsing the alternative. Especially when the alternative party stand for none of the above right from jump. In your opinion, who should the REAL conservatives have voted for in November 2004

If that is their reason for sticking with the GOP then they're more deluded than I imagined or they simply have been living under a rock. Given the sorry state of this country right now, the GOP stands for none of those thing (which explains why the administration and the GOP are doing so poorly in public opinion polls). Who should real conservatives have voted for? NONE OF THE ABOVE.

Gays do not have less rights than other Americans Lin. The activists however HAVE done an amazing job of framing the marriage issue as if the institution itself, was created with a discriminatory bias as it's driving force. Not everyone is playing along just yet, but as I've said before...the self righteous anger and victim rhetoric, is working. Reading your posts here, one would think gays were being herded up and shipped off to re-education camps, and yet people who know better risk big trouble even arguing the point.

Sorry but that's not true. By denying them the same right to marry that straights enjoy, they deny them a whole host of rights and protections granted to every other heterosexual American. When I got married, I automatically gained everything from property rights, inheritence, medical coverage etc...Even when gays take their own money and try and set those protections up on their own dime, they are still ending up in court fighting family members (and losing as many as they win) because their relationships aren't recognised legally as having the same standing. If I were gay, I'd be pissed off to. I wouldn't need any rhetoric to feel that way, I'd only need to look at the reality of my situation. If the idea behind state sanctioned marriage was to promote procreation and stable families, it failed miserably and ought to end. Look at the divorce rate, look at the out of wedlock birth rates, look at all the childless couples that enjoy the perks that the promotion of procreation has afforded them. Yet we deny that to gays, many who have been in straight marriages and do have children that can't be covered under their partners insurance coverage because they can't marry legally. So please don't try and sell me on the notion that gays don't have less rights than you or I do.

Thing is though...you've upped the ante considerably if you're now seeking out and destroying "race traitors" as a matter of course. I think this quote from Life for Rent sums up the situation neatly:

Whose "seeking out and destroying" them? I'm merely pointing out how totally futile it is for them to look for acceptance from a party that has done nothing but look for ways to keep them in the closet and treats their concerns with scorn. Pointing out that Dick Cheney's support for a party and a president that treats his own daughter like a second class citizen is merely pointing out the obvious. If Mary's OK with that, so be it. Just don't expect people to not point that glaring fact out to her.

One religious faith emulates another. The Church of the Politically Correct even has a similar disdain for heresy apparently

Quite often I am not politically correct but what I try to be is fair and the marriage laws are anything but fair to gays. If however the "gay Agenda" has learned at the knee of the Church of the Christian Right, they ought to be experts in no time. The difference being that gays can wrap themselves in the Constitution instead of hiding behind a Bible. No matter how you slice it, the denial of marriage rights for gays is wrapped up in religious dogma more than anything else.

Mr. Boyd says he is no liberal. He is opposed to abortion and thinks homosexuality is not God’s ideal. The response from his congregation at Woodland Hills Church here in suburban St. Paul — packed mostly with politically and theologically conservative, middle-class evangelicals — was passionate. Some members walked out of a sermon and never returned. By the time the dust had settled, Woodland Hills, which Mr. Boyd founded in 1992, had lost about 1,000 of its 5,000 members

Not much of a loss in my opinion and thumbs up to a pastor willing to say "no" to abusing the pulpit for political purposes. Maybe we need to start really looking at what these tax exempt churches are doing. Aren't they're rules against campaigning from the pulpit that are supposed to cost them their tax exempt status?

Edited by Lin731, 30 July 2006 - 06:56 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#65 Bobby

Bobby

FKA LiberalBob

• Islander
  • 4,369 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 01:37 PM

Not much of a loss in my opinion and thumbs up to a pastor willing to say "no" to abusing the pulpit for political purposes. Maybe we need to start really looking at what these tax exempt churches are doing. Aren't they're rules against campaigning from the pulpit that are supposed to cost them their tax exempt status?

Your whole post was great, Lin.  Some churches are being investigated by the IRS and that's why James Dobson has started up that Focus on the Family Action.  

I need something to call able-bodied folks of the dangerous-to-the-disabled type. "You stupid, lumbering cow" just isn't doing it for me anymore, not after the last couple days that I've had. If I could have scared the stupid, lumbering cow sitting inside who jumped to her feet as the automatic door, a good five feet away from the button, began to open and lept into the opening without warning out of my way with words so that I could enter before it slammed shut on me, since there was no way in hell I was going to move out of her stupid, lumbering, bovine way, I wouldn't have had to run my rollator over her stupid, sandaled foot. Okay, that was fun, but probably I shouldn't count on doing that again.

A little help, please?

I'd just resort to a good cuss word.  Did she apologize or try to blame you for it?

#66 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 02:02 PM

View PostLife for Rent, on Jul 30 2006, 11:37 AM, said:

Did she apologize...
Nope.  She squealed and tried to sic her menfolk on me.   :unsure:  They, however, hung back to a man.   :rolleyes:   Either I scared them or they realized how stupid they would look ganging up on an older person using an assistive walking device.  I think I scared them.   :p  I didn't look back as limped away, which can be interpreted as confidence that you can handle an attack from the rear.   :ninjadeath:   Sheer bravado on my part.   :p  

or try to blame you for it?
I'm guessing that, yeah, she tried to blame me.   :look:  

I'm taking a winger here, but I'm also guessing that she would have blamed me anyway if she had managed to knock me down shoving her way through the door.   :angry:  

Nonny
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#67 Bobby

Bobby

FKA LiberalBob

• Islander
  • 4,369 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 02:07 PM

^{{{{Nonny}}} She must have been a real a-hole.

#68 Bobby

Bobby

FKA LiberalBob

• Islander
  • 4,369 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 02:32 PM

View PostMystery, on Jul 30 2006, 10:05 AM, said:

View Postwaterpanther, on Jul 29 2006, 06:55 PM, said:

Could someone please get me a copy of the homosexual agenda?  All these years and toaster ovens, and I still don't have one.

Here.  :D

http://www.bettybowe...homoagenda.html

They don't count as strangers if you make them say your name.

#69 Peridot

Peridot

Elf Lynx

• Islander
  • 2,916 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 11:25 PM

View PostLife for Rent, on Jul 30 2006, 05:01 PM, said:

Well....the most recent Christian agenda in our church was collecting books and crayons to send to a school in Zimbabwe. Oh, and OTC medical supplies.  

James Dobson doesn't speak for all Christians, anymore than George W. Bush speaks for all Americans, or Ted Kennedy for all Democrats. Just thought that was worth pointing out.

This was top story for AOL news this morning.

http://www.nytimes.c...amp;partner=AOL

Hey, thanks for the link!  :)   That one was definitely a good read.

I especially liked this:

In the end, those who left tended to be white, middle-class suburbanites, church staff members said. In their place, the church has added more members who live in the surrounding community — African-Americans, Hispanics and Hmong immigrants from Laos.

This suits Mr. Boyd. His vision for his church is an ethnically and economically diverse congregation that exemplifies Jesus’ teachings by its members’ actions. He, his wife and three other families from the church moved from the suburbs three years ago to a predominantly black neighborhood in St. Paul.

Mr. Boyd now says of the upheaval: “I don’t regret any aspect of it at all. It was a defining moment for us. We let go of something we were never called to be. We just didn’t know the price we were going to pay for doing it.”

And this:

Mr. Boyd responded: “I don’t think there’s a particular angle we have on society that others lack. All good, decent people want good and order and justice. Just don’t slap the label ‘Christian’ on it.”

When I looked at the list of things that people asked him to do, BTW, I kind of boggled at the vision of a pastor attempting to do any of those things where we attend.  :eek4:   I think the only one that wouldn't cause some very definite negative feedback was the flag in the sanctuary, since we already have one.  Even in that case, I believe an attempt to make it a focal point would be seen as not appropriate.

As a side note, I am curious as to why you deleted the smiley when you quoted my post.  It's not an especially big deal, but it changes the tone of the post, I think.  So to me it's like taking out a word or two in a sentence.  Just wondering.

Peridot

#70 scherzo

scherzo

I know things

• Islander
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 01:05 AM

Well I doubt they "love" gays given the amount of time they spend sucking up to the Christian Right or the fact that Bush and the GOP policy is to deny the equal protections afforded straight couples via marriage. Do I think they want to exterminate them? No. That would be far too honest (and messy) for most of them.
So they DO want to exterminate them.

Like...MURDER all homosexuals.

Kill them.

But they're just not sure they could get away with it.

Got ya. :Oo:

What they do want is to drive them back into the closet. Folks like Lil Ricky Sanctimonious make that clear. Did the Republican run government say a word when those Phelps freaks were protesting at gay peoples funerals? Nope, not a peep. It didn't become a national issue to be discussed and condemned until they started doing it at military funerals.
Hardly anyone had even heard of Phelps before he began protesting at military funerals. Yet somehow you introduce this universally condemned sleazeball, as further evidence of Republicans hatred for gays. That's a leap and a half.

When you walk hand in hand with the Christian Right, that makes their views of gays crystal clear, while trying to ammend the constitution to bar gays from marrying, I'd say they make their feelings about gays more than clear.
What's crystal clear is, if you're not 100% in step with every item on the homosexual agenda,(and ladies and gentlemen..."activism" without an "agenda" would be incredibly stupid)you will be presumed to have murderous hatred for gays. To the extent you probably want them to suffer and die. It's probably really easy to believe for folks who already genuinely feel that way about Christians.

If that is their reason for sticking with the GOP then they're more deluded than I imagined or they simply have been living under a rock. Given the sorry state of this country right now, the GOP stands for none of those thing (which explains why the administration and the GOP are doing so poorly in public opinion polls). Who should real conservatives have voted for? NONE OF THE ABOVE.
So REAL conservatives shouldn't vote at all? Say Wha..? :blink:

Btw a traditionally "conservative" version of George W Bush would be hated even more by the anti- right. I should tell you that when I hear liberals attack his lack of right wing instincts(always in a surreal argument for conservatives to turn against him) my eyes begin rollin'. Sorry Lin...but the super libs don't get to complain that "Bush is no Reagan".

So please don't try and sell me on the notion that gays don't have less rights than you or I do.
Their "rights" are identical to every other citizen of this country and always have been. It's their "desires" that are at odds with marriage laws. Laws which never had anything to do with them in the first place. And frankly I hesitate to even say "them", because as far as I'm concerned sexual preference shouldn't even denote a separate class of citizen.

Whose "seeking out and destroying" them? I'm merely pointing out how totally futile it is for them to look for acceptance from a party that has done nothing but look for ways to keep them in the closet and treats their concerns with scorn. Pointing out that Dick Cheney's support for a party and a president that treats his own daughter like a second class citizen is merely pointing out the obvious. If Mary's OK with that, so be it. Just don't expect people to not point that glaring fact out to her.
Mary Cheney is a CITIZEN...period. The idea that any and all hardships associated with a homosexual lifestyle, is inflicted by an evil homophobic government, is treated with scorn because it should be. Equally repellant is the idea that being gay disqualifies you from something as basic as independent thought. And here I thought it was supposed to be the Right that lacked respect for homosexuals.  

-scherzo
"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so."    -Ronald Reagan, October 27 1964
Posted Image

#71 Bobby

Bobby

FKA LiberalBob

• Islander
  • 4,369 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 07:40 AM

As a side note, I am curious as to why you deleted the smiley when you quoted my post. It's not an especially big deal, but it changes the tone of the post, I think. So to me it's like taking out a word or two in a sentence. Just wondering.

I was just quoting the text.  The tone of your post wasn't in question, for me anyway.  That's why I provided that link because you were right but taking a stand cost that pastor some of his followers.

Edited by Life for Rent, 31 July 2006 - 07:45 AM.

#72 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 02:23 PM

Your whole post was great, Lin.  Some churches are being investigated by the IRS and that's why James Dobson has started up that Focus on the Family Action.  

I need something to call able-bodied folks of the dangerous-to-the-disabled type. "You stupid, lumbering cow" just isn't doing it for me anymore, not after the last couple days that I've had. If I could have scared the stupid, lumbering cow sitting inside who jumped to her feet as the automatic door, a good five feet away from the button, began to open and lept into the opening without warning out of my way with words so that I could enter before it slammed shut on me, since there was no way in hell I was going to move out of her stupid, lumbering, bovine way, I wouldn't have had to run my rollator over her stupid, sandaled foot. Okay, that was fun, but probably I shouldn't count on doing that again.

A little help, please?

I'd just resort to a good cuss word.  Did she apologize or try to blame you for it?

I was trying to cross the street at Target to get to my car (handicapped spots are a joke at Target). Here I am wearing my stupid corset and limping along. The first woman who turned left in front of me genuinely didn't see me.  The second saw me and kept going ('cause after all, she owned a Jaguar, and everybody knows that having a Jag means you always have the right of way, just because  :angel: ), causing me to limp back and scream "way to  let the handicapped lady cross!!" Then I gave her the finger.  Several people applauded. :D

I have no shame anymore. None at all. :p

Nonny says I should take the walker, except that I haven't used it since the week after my surgery. It would have been more impressive, though. :p

Edited by Rhea, 31 July 2006 - 11:22 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#73 Bobby

Bobby

FKA LiberalBob

• Islander
  • 4,369 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 03:37 PM

View PostRhea, on Jul 31 2006, 02:23 PM, said:

A little help, please?

I was trying to cross the street at Target to get to my car (handicapped spots are a joke at Target). Here I am wearing my stupid corset and limping along. The first woman who turned left in front of me genuinely didn't see me.  The second saw me and kept going ('cause after all, she owned a Jaguar, and everybody knows that having a Jag means you always have the right of way, just because  :angel: ), causing me to limp back and scream "way to  let the handcapped lady cross!!" Then I gave her the finger.  Several people applauded. :D

Nonny says I should take the walker, except that I haven't used it since the week after my surgery. It would have been more impressive, though. :p

I'd say that woman rates as a b*tch.   :angry:

#74 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 11:28 PM

^I live in one of the highest cost of living counties in the U.S. There are a lot of wonderful people here, which is why I've lived here so long. Unfortunately, there are a lot of overblown and/or newly rich yuppies who think their money entitles them to just about everything.

I work in preschool special ed, and we have very limited parking at the school site, and this lady with a green Jag (who wasn't supposed to be using our parking lot in the first place) used to take the handicapped space till we let her have it, given that she was blocking the only van-accessible space in the whole joint, and there are a lot of kids who come for physical therapy.  :angry:

Then she took to circling round and round and round...when she could have parked on the street, which was only 2 seconds away from her kid's private preschool anyway (on the same campus but not related to our program).

One day she was waiting to pull into my space when I was leaving for lunch, and the second I realized it was her I got out of the car and went back into the school for 5 minutes. She finally parked on the street and the minute she did, I got back in my car and left. :p I am sooooo evil.  :devil:
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#75 Broph

Broph
  • Islander
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 07:27 AM

View Postscherzo, on Jul 31 2006, 06:05 AM, said:

Their "rights" are identical to every other citizen of this country and always have been.

What about when men had the right to vote and women didn't. They both lived with the same "rights", but they weren't equal under those rights. When you get down to it, the "rights" aren't as identical as you present them, IMHO.

It's their "desires" that are at odds with marriage laws. Laws which never had anything to do with them in the first place.

When those laws restrict them from doing something that doesn't hurt anyone else, then I'd say that the laws have something to do with them.

And frankly I hesitate to even say "them", because as far as I'm concerned sexual preference shouldn't even denote a separate class of citizen.

It's not about separate. It's not about class. It's about citizens and allowing them to pursue their happiness.

The idea that any and all hardships associated with a homosexual lifestyle, is inflicted by an evil homophobic government, is treated with scorn because it should be.

Why, when all they ask is to be given the rights that straight people have and are told that they can't without a single good reason for the prohibition?

#76 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

Craving a little perspective.

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 09:04 AM

My recollection of the Cheney/Edwards debate from the last prez elections is hazy at best (though I remember clear as day the awesome simple "No" answer Cheney gave when asked if he wanted to respond to Edwards comment @ his daughter's sexuality that backfired  :lol: ), but I seem to recall that Cheney articulated that he himself did not agree with a marriage amendment ... or that he thought recognition of civil unions had merit ... or both.... can't recall exactly.  But that there are other more pressing issues that make their ticket the best for the nation. I think it's refreshing when you can serve without being in lock-step, and say so in a delicate debate for the ticket.

Anyway - I caught Mary Cheney on Letterman saying the same thing - that she felt that the safety of the country against terrorism was the single most important consideration and that the current administration gave it the urgency it deserved after 9-11, that she knew 1st hand how seriously they were working to protect us, so despite her disagreement @ attempting to "legislate discrimination into the constitution", I think is how she described it, keeping the U.S. intact held more weight at a very intense time for our country.  So Scherzo's right - she like many of us, were putting our egg in the basket that'd carry us more assuredly home in one piece.  'K- lousy metaphor.

I'm cold Howard.jpg

#77 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 10:30 AM

View PostRhea, on Jul 31 2006, 12:23 PM, said:

A little help, please?

I was trying to cross the street at Target to get to my car (handicapped spots are a joke at Target). Here I am wearing my stupid corset and limping along. The first woman who turned left in front of me genuinely didn't see me.  The second saw me and kept going ('cause after all, she owned a Jaguar, and everybody knows that having a Jag means you always have the right of way, just because  :angel: ), causing me to limp back and scream "way to  let the handicapped lady cross!!" Then I gave her the finger.  Several people applauded. :D

Yeah, displaying concrete (or in this case, metal :p ) evidence of your mobility impairment does help.  No, it won't stop @$$hats like the Jaguar b!tch from stealing your right of way :( , but at least it gets automatic support from a wider audience since they can see exactly what the problem is, plus gives you that extra support you need for not slipping and falling as you hasten out of her way.   :eek4:   Even when you don't need it for walking, you might still need it for emergencies.  

Heh, I used to snarl at the folks who catch my eye as I make my way to the register in stores then burn shoe leather to beat me to it, but now I smile and say, Hey, way to beat a cripple to the register!  Woo hoo!   :sarcasm:   I used to head to another line, but now I fall in behind them and trade abuse about them with the shocked cashiers after they slink away with their goods.   :angel:  :devil:  

Nonny
Posted Image

#78 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 10:35 AM

View PostRhea, on Jul 31 2006, 09:28 PM, said:

^I live in one of the highest cost of living counties in the U.S. There are a lot of wonderful people here, which is why I've lived here so long. Unfortunately, there are a lot of overblown and/or newly rich yuppies who think their money entitles them to just about everything.

I work in preschool special ed, and we have very limited parking at the school site, and this lady with a green Jag (who wasn't supposed to be using our parking lot in the first place) used to take the handicapped space till we let her have it, given that she was blocking the only van-accessible space in the whole joint, and there are a lot of kids who come for physical therapy.  :angry:

Then she took to circling round and round and round...when she could have parked on the street, which was only 2 seconds away from her kid's private preschool anyway (on the same campus but not related to our program).

One day she was waiting to pull into my space when I was leaving for lunch, and the second I realized it was her I got out of the car and went back into the school for 5 minutes. She finally parked on the street and the minute she did, I got back in my car and left. :p I am sooooo evil.  :devil:
Brava!    :happy:  :thumbs-up:  :welldone:  

Nonny
Posted Image

#79 Peridot

Peridot

Elf Lynx

• Islander
  • 2,916 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 09:39 PM

View PostLife for Rent, on Jul 31 2006, 01:40 PM, said:

As a side note, I am curious as to why you deleted the smiley when you quoted my post. It's not an especially big deal, but it changes the tone of the post, I think. So to me it's like taking out a word or two in a sentence. Just wondering.

I was just quoting the text.  The tone of your post wasn't in question, for me anyway.  That's why I provided that link because you were right but taking a stand cost that pastor some of his followers.

Okay, that makes sense, I think.  I'm guessing that just quoting the text is a technological option that I just wasn't thinking about.  I'm not very....errr...technologically talented.   :look:  

Anyway, thanks for answering my question. :)

And yes, it did cost the pastor some of his followers.  Sometimes standing up for what you believe in does carry a cost.  I think many of the churches who were active in the Civil Rights Movement could cite costs as well, perhaps of various kinds, and in some cases much greater.

Peridot

#80 Bobby

Bobby

FKA LiberalBob

• Islander
  • 4,369 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 02:47 PM

And frankly I hesitate to even say "them", because as far as I'm concerned sexual preference shouldn't even denote a separate class of citizen.

So you don't think heterosexuals should be allowed to marry?

Edited by Life for Rent, 05 August 2006 - 02:52 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Massachusetts, Cape Code, Heterosexual Discrimination, 2006

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users