Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

"End of the World-type" RP...anyone interested?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
180 replies to this topic

#41 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 08:59 PM

Hi, Brit!  I was actually thinking about you today. I'd love to have you play...and we *need* more male characters.

We can use more hunters, but is there any way you could also help out in the workshops? I'd like to have a playing character who can build, repair, or create things we might need like tack for the horses, making simple furniture, repairing farm tools, that sort of thing?

PM me a profile as soon as you can and we'll get you added in. :)

#42 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 10:06 PM

Think about the skills needed on a farm in early america.

The women of the farm needed a wide variety of skills from knife sharpening to brewing ales, to animal husbandry to gardening, cooking to food preservation, sewing to knitting, candle making, butter churning, milking to cheese making, perhaps carding, spinning weaving and dyeing.

And in a survival situation such as the Settlement, people would definitely be cross trained in a wide a variety of skills as possible for the individual to learn - that way if some one died their skill set didn't vanish with them.

tanning, leather working, carpentry, construction, wood carving, blacksmithing, rope making, plumbing, masonry, mechanic, brick making, horse training, animal husbandry, chemistry, blade smithing, boyer, fletcher... the list is nearly endless.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#43 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 10:22 PM

What she said :wink: ^^^.

ATTENTION!!: I might as well add this here. Everything has progressed *much* faster than I anticipated (this is a good thing!), so to give everyone enough notice, I'm going to start the game on Tuesday about 1:00 PM (that would be central time). I'd like to give our players in the UK time to post, as well, and that would be early evening for them.  And it will give the rest of the day for everyone else to get going.

If you've asked to play and haven't given me a profile yet, you're still in the game. Just get it to me before Tuesday, so I can add you into my "game plan" (ha ha :wink:).

:D

Edited by Nikki Peppermint, 06 August 2006 - 10:53 PM.

#44 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 11:13 PM

LOL I wsa just listening to Copperhead Road- and one theing we really ougbht to know how to make- it's a great trade item-

White Lightning! Hooch, home brew, moonshine! ;p
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#45 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 12:14 AM

View PostShalamar, on Aug 7 2006, 04:13 AM, said:

LOL I wsa just listening to Copperhead Road- and one theing we really ougbht to know how to make- it's a great trade item-

White Lightning! Hooch, home brew, moonshine! ;p

Also a fuel source for engines that can run on it, whether it be grain or wood alcohol, we should probably erect at least one still for a supply of the stuff.

#46 Brit

Brit

Born too Soon

• Islander
  • 3,107 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 02:56 AM

What a great idea.  Hunter/moonshiner it is then.  Profile will follow as soon as I get time to work one out.

#47 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 03:48 AM

groovy

#48 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,747 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 06:07 AM

I'm a tailor/craft person in another RP, I could kinda do the same thing here-repair, make clothes, card, spin, weave, knit, crochet-etc. If we have sheep or other wool-making animals.

As for the rest, I'm still working on it, will get it to you later today, gotta get ready to run.

#49 Brit

Brit

Born too Soon

• Islander
  • 3,107 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 06:16 AM

That sounds just ideal for you Chatty.  This is going to be fun.

#50 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 06:31 AM

On a very limited basis, (as I can't foresee him having any large role in the game) I'd be willing to provide you with a cook. Nikki, you will have a PM shortly

Edited by Godeskian, 07 August 2006 - 06:33 AM.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#51 szhismine

szhismine

why must you hurt me in this way Harry...

• Islander
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 09:51 AM

tomorrow i'll be busy all afternoon, but i will post as soon as possible... probably at night.
Neville: "My grandmother forbids me from using raunchy language."
Harry: "Well your grandmother is a Blast-Ended Skank!"
Neville: *GASP*
Hermione: "He doesn't mean it Neville, he's just testing out some wizard swears."
Harry: "I mean every word I ever say ever, because I'm Harry Potter." --'Wizard Swears', Potter Puppet Pals

Hermione: "What's your problem Harry?"
Harry: "My parents are dead, my life sucks, I can't hold down a girlfriend, and I'm surrounded by f*ck*ng goblins and sh*t all the time. I mean what the f*ck?"
Ron: "But it's magic Harry. The goblins are magical!" --'Wizard Angst', Potter Puppet Pals

Me: "It's just a matter of looking past [McKay's] arrogant exterior to see his warm, fuzzy, probably angst-filled interior."
Hawkeye: "You harperchondriac girls think everyone has an angst filled interior."

"Good gods, you sniff out angst like a police dog sniffs out drugs." --Lyric (to me)

#52 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 09:59 AM

View PostBrit, on Aug 7 2006, 02:56 AM, said:

What a great idea.  Hunter/moonshiner it is then.  Profile will follow as soon as I get time to work one out.
LOL! Great...a drunken RP :wink:.

View PostD, on Aug 7 2006, 12:14 AM, said:

Also a fuel source for engines that can run on it, whether it be grain or wood alcohol, we should probably erect at least one still for a supply of the stuff.
Ooh good idea...we can make our own fuel somewhat and conserve the gasoline we've stored. What's is made out of? Can we get the ingredients?

View PostChatterbox, on Aug 7 2006, 06:07 AM, said:

I'm a tailor/craft person in another RP, I could kinda do the same thing here-repair, make clothes, card, spin, weave, knit, crochet-etc. If we have sheep or other wool-making animals.

As for the rest, I'm still working on it, will get it to you later today, gotta get ready to run.
Oh excellent! You can have a valuable supply of material that was scavenged, as well as recreate clothes from those that wear out maybe. People will always come to you to help them fix their clothes :D.

View PostGodeskian, on Aug 7 2006, 06:31 AM, said:

On a very limited basis, (as I can't foresee him having any large role in the game) I'd be willing to provide you with a cook. Nikki, you will have a PM shortly.
As we've been PMing, all is good! :)

And we'll take our time introducing the RP and characters. Evening will be fine for posting still.  I'll make sure everyone gets settled before...well, just before  :whistle:.

I'm so excited about this!

#53 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 11:01 AM

well, they've been making moonshine ever since people settled here, george washington stilled some whiskey in his day, shouldnt be hard to find the ingrediant list, corn or other grains is chief among them.

#54 Brit

Brit

Born too Soon

• Islander
  • 3,107 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 11:15 AM

Been making it even longer over here.  Barley was used you can even use potatoes. <wicked grin>

Wood alcohol could be used as fuel or even methane if we have cows and sheep.  <even wickeder grin>

If I could remember any good quotes I would put one here!!!

#55 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 11:33 AM

LOL!

The first NASCAR event an offshoot of moonshine runners' hopped up cars was held in 1947 at the North Wilkesboro Speedway in North Wilkesboro. Junior Johnson, one of NASCAR's first great drivers, was a legendary moonshiner from Wilkes County who outran and outfoxed federal agents for years before finally being caught and arrested (not on the highway, but working at his father's moonshine still).

#56 Raeven

Raeven

Having a Mads moment

• Administrator
  • 24,343 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 11:53 AM

Moonshine:

Ingredients:
corn meal
sugar
water
yeast
malt

If you are under the legal drinking age - don't open the spoiler.

Spoiler: click to show/hide
Mix all ingredients together in a large container. After mixing, move the mixture, called "mash," into a still and leave it to ferment.

Heat the mash to the point of vaporization at 173 degrees. The mash will produce a clear liquid, often the color of dark beer.

Trap vapor using a tube or coil. The vapor will be transferred into a second, empty container. The resulting condensation is the moonshine. This is now ready for drinking ;)

Keep mash in container. Add more sugar, water, malt, and corn meal and repeat the process.

Repeat the process up to eight times before replacing the mash.

Stealth Edit: ROFL!!!!!!! I was teasing about the family board :wink:.

Edited by Nikki Peppermint, 07 August 2006 - 12:39 PM.

It's very complex. If the pizza man truly loves this babysitter, why does he keep slapping her rear? Perhaps she has done something wrong ~ Castiel

#57 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 12:05 PM

Chatty, we may want to have a little talk about leather if your character is going to be a crafter.

I was thinking my character is a hunter-she goes out into the woods to bring back fresh meat for the settlement. I suppose some hides would also be useful if you're also a tanner, yes?  :Oo:
Rejected and gone.

#58 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 12:24 PM

View PostD, on Aug 7 2006, 11:01 AM, said:

....shouldnt be hard to find the ingrediant list, corn or other grains is chief among them.
Oh sorry!! I meant "we" as in the players after the apocalypse.  :blush:

Just thinking out loud here...I bet we could trade with another town/settlement that is located where they grow corn. The primary crops in Colorado are corn, hay, and wheat, so it's possible that people were able to start up fields again, only in smaller areas that were spared irradiation. This is all very interesting thinking about the different ways people would actually survive. And we can have whatever *we* want, anyway  :angel:.

#59 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 12:27 PM

View PostRaeven, on Aug 7 2006, 11:53 AM, said:

Moonshine:

Ingredients:
corn meal
sugar
water
yeast
malt
Now you stop that  :blink:! This is a family board  :angel:.

LOL!! Thank you, "Dr. Blackwell"; but you are not allowed to touch alchohol. Your player has a habit of creating drunken characters  :p :wink:!

#60 Raeven

Raeven

Having a Mads moment

• Administrator
  • 24,343 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 12:31 PM

I won't touch a drop - the good doctor is just interested in the effects of moonshine on the internal organs ;) so she may brew some for scientific research.

It's very complex. If the pizza man truly loves this babysitter, why does he keep slapping her rear? Perhaps she has done something wrong ~ Castiel

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users