#201 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 11:51 PM

View PostScottEVill, on Aug 14 2006, 04:30 PM, said:

View Postwaterpanther, on Aug 14 2006, 05:19 PM, said:

Okay, we've got two mezzos and an alto.  Scott?

[yumyum]Three little maids from school are we...[/yumyum]
Where's my fan?  Gotta be around here somewhere....oh here it is!  *snap flourish*

[pittysing]Filled to the brim with girlish glee...[/pittysing]
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#202 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 11:55 PM

View PostJosh, on Aug 14 2006, 09:19 PM, said:

Me neither. Bach is all mathematical precision and I prefer passion. I *hated* playing Bach - I could never work up any feeling for him, for the most part. I think I liked singing classical better than playing it on the piano, anyway. I mostly sang and acted. Maybe we both did too much Bach as practice pieces. ;)

Unfortunately true. ;) At least for the first seven years of my piano lessons, I didn't play anything EXCEPT Bach (and some Beethoven and Mozart... and a tiny bit of Chopin). It wasn't until college that I discovered 20th century music. ;)

I don't like Handel either. In fact, I pretty much dislike the entire Baroque era. I'm a romantic at heart. ;)

I've started voice lessons and I've been ordered to prepare an aria from the "Messiah." It's more fun to sing this type of music than it is to play it. ;)
Gotta be!  It's totally fun to sing.  That's why there are Messiah singalongs.   :happy:  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#203 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 10:30 AM

View PostNonny, on Aug 14 2006, 09:55 PM, said:

View PostJosh, on Aug 14 2006, 09:19 PM, said:

Me neither. Bach is all mathematical precision and I prefer passion. I *hated* playing Bach - I could never work up any feeling for him, for the most part. I think I liked singing classical better than playing it on the piano, anyway. I mostly sang and acted. Maybe we both did too much Bach as practice pieces. ;)

Unfortunately true. ;) At least for the first seven years of my piano lessons, I didn't play anything EXCEPT Bach (and some Beethoven and Mozart... and a tiny bit of Chopin). It wasn't until college that I discovered 20th century music. ;)

I don't like Handel either. In fact, I pretty much dislike the entire Baroque era. I'm a romantic at heart. ;)

I've started voice lessons and I've been ordered to prepare an aria from the "Messiah." It's more fun to sing this type of music than it is to play it. ;)
Gotta be!  It's totally fun to sing.  That's why there are Messiah singalongs.   :happy:  

Nonny

Sounds good to me too.  I love "Messiah."

Too bad you can't do the "Agnus Dei" from Verdi's "Requiem Mass," except IIRC that's a soprano/tenor duet, mostly. Good lord, it's beautiful. Gives me the willies.

I was lucky with the piano - had lesson when I was ten, then totally self-taught after that till college. So I played show tunes, big band music, popular music, anything I could get my hands on. Then college and piano lessons and Bach, Bach, Bach. Bah. :p

Edited by Rhea, 15 August 2006 - 09:21 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#204 Smiley

Smiley

harumph

• Islander
  • 937 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 07:46 PM

View PostenTranced, on Aug 14 2006, 05:00 PM, said:

Bah.
Trent Reznor from Nine Inch Nails kicks all those dead dude's asses. :)
And he gets PAID baby!  :devil1:  :ranting:
enTranced

100% Agree. One hell of a composer...an artist too.
He works hard, his art has appeal and a message, he makes money, and his music should have been in the WTC movie.
Friends are just enemies that don't have the guts to kill you.
See Ya Space Cowboy

#205 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 07:45 PM

Art is more of a set of what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

But before I distract myself in PotC (How can that NOT be art with Johnny Depp looking like THAT?!)

To me Art is a form of communication. Thus, in order to be art, the form of media must be communicating an idea to me, or communicating something else to me.

Many pieces of artwork communicate without using words, such as the Mona Lisa, or a piece of classical music. Then again, dare i say it, Tracy Emmin also communicates an idea. Just because I happen to hate her artwork (because I hate the idea she is conveying) does not make it any less 'art'.

Rap and Rock music just as equally relay an idea as classical music. Often Music chooses to convey an emotion.

Star Wars and many other sci-fi films chose to convey a concept of the future. That is communication, and thus art.

The fact is, just because one piece of artwork says NOTHING to ME does not mean it's not art- I might consider it that way- but then, it may very well communicate something to someone else, and for them it IS art.

GS's definition of art happens to be a narrow view of what 'Art' is, and no, I don't mean that critically. I've already described what Art means to me. He has already described what it means to him. Let's not forget that Art is about appreciating different viewpoints as well.

Notice how the empty space draws your eyes to the center of the piece. And the use of lines, not too long or too narrow. And the eyes gazing off to the side as if the subject is looking across the way, how the artist managed to convey this expression with so little excess is amazing. Now we know the subject is happy because it's smiling. And all that white conveys an emptiness that the artist must have felt...

ROFL! Lol, I needed that laugh.

And..I made my bed?!! Tell my mum!! She'll be so impressed!!

And to quote Harper from Andromeda "So there."

:lol:

A precious stone that's everything you will never be!

No, Topaz is not as hard, or cold as stone, and is far more precious.

I could never put people on ignore. The curiosity would kill me.

So, you say "work of art", I say "exploitation", you say "to-may-to", I say "rotten tomato".

But..but...but...what about Tom-arh-to :pout: no one ever sticks up for the little guy (or island).

*sigh*

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#206 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 07:47 PM

ps- to my eternal shame, I had to do some research to find the exact quote from PotC, even though I've seen it fifty gazillion times. In doing this, I stumbled upon the following: http://www.white-wav...pets/quotes.htm

:love: :wub:

That really distracted me for a LONG time.....:drool:

Sparky

Edited by SparkyCola, 20 August 2006 - 07:48 PM.

#207 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 08:10 PM

Ah I went and saw DMC again today.  "Hide the rum."

As far as how everyone sees something or interprets a piece of work I always remember (although I couldn't find it on the Internet just now) of something that James Hurst the author of The Scarlet Ibis said about what the meaning was of his story.  He said something along the lines of it didn't matter what he thought, because he was pretty sure so many different interpretations from those who read it had already been voiced that what did it matter what he said.

Not a direct quote mind you but that was the essence of what he was saying.

I always have found that to be eye opening thought actually.

We all come on Ex Isle with our different views on subjects and a lot of it has to do with some very beautifully written pieces of work.  Or at least in my opinion most of it is.
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#208 Natasha Bennett

Natasha Bennett
  • Demigod
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 09:14 PM

SparkyCola:

No, Topaz is not as hard, or cold as stone, and is far more precious.

I could never put people on ignore. The curiosity would kill me.

Thanks SparkyCola  :blush: This is actually past me for the most part (when you work full-time and carry another job on the side you can't afford to have things like this bother you!  :p )

#209 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 12:32 PM

View PostSparkyCola, on Aug 20 2006, 05:47 PM, said:

ps- to my eternal shame, I had to do some research to find the exact quote from PotC, even though I've seen it fifty gazillion times. In doing this, I stumbled upon the following: http://www.white-wav...pets/quotes.htm

:love: :wub:

That really distracted me for a LONG time.....:drool:

Sparky

And you distracted me too.  :love:

My favorite is  "You seem somewhat familiar. Have I threatened you before?"
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#210 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 01:12 PM

sparky, I disagree with your assertion that an object qualifies as art if it communicates something. Manuals and regulations written in government bureaucratese communicate something. They're definitely not art.
"When the Fed is the bartender everybody drinks until they fall down." —Paul McCulley

"In truth, 'too big to fail' is not the worst thing we should fear – our financial institutions are now on their way to becoming 'too big to save'." —Simon Johnson

FKA:
TWP / An Affirming Flame / Solar Wind / Palisade

#211 Natasha Bennett

Natasha Bennett
  • Demigod
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 04:20 PM

^Except to, you know, tech geeks.  :)

Eh, this is what the dictionary has to say about it:

The conscious production or arrangement of sounds, colors, forms, movements, or other elements in a manner that affects the sense of beauty, specifically the production of the beautiful in a graphic or plastic medium.

I kind of agree with this. And yes I do believe that art is in the eye of the beholder. One person may say it's beautiful, another may say it's crap. I'd like to think that the ones that were made with a great deal more effort then others would sell for a higher price or are appreciated more, but people sadly accept just about anything, generally. It's the same for movies. Those that are made with a considerable more amount of effort-like LOTRs, would sell more at the box office or DVD sales. This is just my opinion and of course every case is not the same.  :)

#212 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 05:56 PM

Ok, communicating something on a different level from merely stating it explicitly. Generally using imagery

(I'll keep 'generally' in there, even though I can't think of any exceptions..)

Sparky

#213 ilexx

ilexx
  • Islander
  • 2,791 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 07:32 AM

View Postgsmonks, on Aug 10 2006, 05:46 AM, said:

The term "historical movie" is almost always an oxymoron.

Commodus was one of Rome's best emperors and did not die fighting a gladiator.

Actually, Commodus was not one of Rome's best emperors. Neither was his father (who was, at least, a rather gifted writer - beautiful language, even if his philosophy sucks). They both only had the good fortune to come after a long line of really outstanding emperors, who left a legacy strong enough to make even Commodus look good.

#214 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 10:13 AM

View PostSparkyCola, on Aug 21 2006, 05:56 PM, said:

Ok, communicating something on a different level from merely stating it explicitly. Generally using imagery

(I'll keep 'generally' in there, even though I can't think of any exceptions..)

Sparky

Well in regards to the manuals-I've never met a manual that didn't put me to sleep,  :hehe:  so in my eye's not very good communications.

But when you get a schematic and it's very well done and detailed yes-there is art involved here.  Floor plans have a certain art to them.  I love looking at them and imagining, they can inspire me.  I know as an actress to look at a floor plan of a set and the design of said set can be very inspiring.
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#215 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 10:21 AM

View Postilexx, on Aug 25 2006, 12:32 PM, said:

View Postgsmonks, on Aug 10 2006, 05:46 AM, said:

The term "historical movie" is almost always an oxymoron.

Commodus was one of Rome's best emperors and did not die fighting a gladiator.

Actually, Commodus was not one of Rome's best emperors. Neither was his father (who was, at least, a rather gifted writer - beautiful language, even if his philosophy sucks). They both only had the good fortune to come after a long line of really outstanding emperors, who left a legacy strong enough to make even Commodus look good.

Good catch.  Commodus was by most accounts a terrible emperor who blew a large chunk of Rome's treasury on elaborate entertainments and was strangled in his bath (or in other accounts, his bed) by a wrestler/gladiator named Narcissus.  If someone wants to pick on the history of Gladiator, they should have gone after the silly "we're gonna restore the Republic!" stuff instead.
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Media, Movie, World Trade Center, 2006

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users