99 replies to this topic

#1 Lyric of Delphi

Lyric of Delphi

A little too much LDS

• Islander
  • 9,092 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 08:57 AM

Link

A plot to blow up planes in flight from the UK to the US and commit "mass murder on an unimaginable scale" has been disrupted, Scotland Yard has said.

It is thought the plan was to detonate explosive devices smuggled in hand luggage on to as many as 10 aircraft.

Police are searching premises after 21 people were arrested. Home Secretary John Reid said they believed the "main players" were accounted for.

High security is causing delays at all UK airports.

BBC security correspondent Gordon Corera said the plot was thought to have involved a series of "waves" of simultaneous attacks, targeting three planes each time.

He also said the plan "revolved around liquids of some kind".

"Officials say the explosives would have been sophisticated and extremely effective," our correspondent said.

Meanwhile, Heathrow Airport has been closed to all incoming short-haul flights with long-haul services seriously delayed. Several outbound services have also been cancelled.

The airport is crammed with thousands of passengers, while at Stansted more than 2,000 people are queuing to pass through customs.

Passengers are not allowed to take any hand luggage on to any flights in the UK, the department said.

Only the barest essentials - including passports and wallets - will be allowed to be carried on board in transparent plastic bags.

"We hope that these measures, which are being kept under review by the government, will need to be in place for a limited period only," the statement said.

I'm glad the plot was foiled, but it still must be awful to be in Heathrow right now . :(

Edited by Lyric Z D, 10 August 2006 - 08:58 AM.

#2 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 09:57 AM

Looks like travel from the UK to the US is going to be disrupted for a while. They've raised the terror alert to red since not all of the suspects have been apprehended. But I'm awfully glad they caught the ones they did.

http://www.cnn.com/2...rity/index.html
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#3 scherzo

scherzo

I know things

• Islander
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 10:07 AM

Police are searching premises after 21 people were arrested.
I can't believe these young Muslims weren't tipped off to the surveillance. I guess the NY Times is slipping. :eek2:

A tip of the hat to the British Authorities. In fact kudos to anyone still sane enough to take the threat of evil Islam seriously.

-scherzo
"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so."    -Ronald Reagan, October 27 1964
Posted Image

#4 Ilphi

Ilphi
  • Islander
  • 4,071 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 10:29 AM

Ha, good timing. My folks were flying into Heathrow yesterday!

:welldone: MI5, MI6, Police, Transport Authorities, the CIA, and no-doubt the other worldwide security services that were involved in putting this operation together. So far looks like it's come off very well, with arrests in at least three different areas. Without a lot of hard work involved here the headlines tonight could have been very different.
Yea, ere my hot youth pass, I speak to my people and say:
Ye shall be foolish as I; ye shall scatter, not save;
Ye shall venture your all, lest ye lose what is more than all;
Ye shall call for a miracle, taking Christ at His word.
And for this I will answer, O people, answer here and hereafter,
The Fool - Padraic Pearse

#5 hannahthewriter

hannahthewriter

Even Harper has bad days

• Islander
  • 3,445 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 10:38 AM

Whew, I'm glad they stopped this. They were sayng that it could have been much bigger than 9/11.

And considering the circumstances, it looked to me like the people stranded at the airport are taking it pretty well.
Posted Image

#6 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 11:00 AM

Glad they caught it in time, and hope that uncovering this leads to a lot of arrests and further foiled terror plots.

And it's nice to see the color-code dealie used for a legit purpose for once, rather than the usual spook-the-herd manipulations...

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#7 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 11:20 AM

View PostZwolf, on Aug 10 2006, 09:00 AM, said:

Glad they caught it in time, and hope that uncovering this leads to a lot of arrests and further foiled terror plots.

And it's nice to see the color-code dealie used for a legit purpose for once, rather than the usual spook-the-herd manipulations...

Cheers,

Zwolf

What Z siad. ;)
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#8 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 11:54 AM

{{{{{{{Ilphi}}}}}}}

Whew!   :oh:  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#9 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 12:23 PM

Liquid explosives? These could be hidden in drink bottles and toiletry containers. This would make the explosives difficult to detect by normal airport screenings (metal detectors, x-ray machines, and visual inspection). I assume the plan was to build the bombs after passing through security and boarding the planes.
"When the Fed is the bartender everybody drinks until they fall down." —Paul McCulley

"In truth, 'too big to fail' is not the worst thing we should fear – our financial institutions are now on their way to becoming 'too big to save'." —Simon Johnson

FKA:
TWP / An Affirming Flame / Solar Wind / Palisade

#10 Pywacket

Pywacket
  • Islander
  • 443 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 12:48 PM

View PostSolar Wind, on Aug 10 2006, 10:23 AM, said:

Liquid explosives? These could be hidden in drink bottles and toiletry containers. This would make the explosives difficult to detect by normal airport screenings (metal detectors, x-ray machines, and visual inspection). I assume the plan was to build the bombs after passing through security and boarding the planes.
NPR has articles here.  I heard this morning, in one of the reports, that was the plan.  The ingredients would be in the carry on luggage. Once they got on board they would then mix the explosive.  Another said that the explosive might be carried onboard in a insulated drink container.

According to an article on NPR

British officials continue to investigate the plot, details of which remain sketchy. U.K. Home Secretary Reid suggested the plotters intended to use liquid-based explosives. Chertoff said the plotters planned to smuggle bomb components on board in carry-on luggage disguised as beverages and other items that appeared benign but, when mixed together, would create an explosive device.
  The entire story is here.

Blowing up airplanes gets a lot of attention. I suspect this won't be the last time we see them targeted.

Pywacket
One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time. - Andre Gide

#11 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,621 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 12:51 PM

My good friend just came back on United via Heathrow on Tuesday.  I'll bet she's glad it won't be next Tuesday.

Frankly, we're at the point at which they should simply ban carry-on luggage on airplanes, but there would be too much of an outcry from the public, and that will always trump security.

And I had just started carrying my toiletry kit on again, when they reallowed nail clippers.  Now you won't even be able to bring on toothpaste or shampoo.  And maybe the airlines will have to start feeding people again, as I doubt carry-on food and drink is going to escape these prohibitions.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#12 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 01:46 PM

I'd like to see a way for passengers to self-check carry-on luggage on the plane.  Commuter airlines do it now - you hand the stuff to an agent before you walk up the stairs onto the plane.  The only reason a I carry most stuff on is the airlines take no responsibility for it (laptops, cameras) plus don't guarantee it'll get there (I had to go shopping on arrival in London because I had NOTHING to change into...).   Even with that, I'd be an unhappy camper during this situation - I read people were having to throw out lipstick (not a liquid), toothpaste, etc.  I'd be in bad shape without my chapstick and at least a small hairbrush, not mention hand lotion.  And Kleenex!  They're prohibiting almost everything right now.  But under "normal" circumstances, I'd be happy carrying on my normal purse contents and a book - if ONLY the airline could guarantee my other stuff would arrive, and arrive undamaged!

I don't care if it's against any guidelines - DAMN TERRORISTS TO HELL!!!!!!

Themis
Cats will never be extinct!

#13 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 01:55 PM

U.S. Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff said the plans were "suggestive of an al Qaeda plot," and President Bush said the arrests are a "stark reminder" that the U.S. is "at war with Islamic fascists."

Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

#14 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,621 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 02:00 PM

"Terrorists" and "enemies of freedom" weren't enough to stem the drop in approval for the war in Iraq.  Maybe comparing them to Hitler would work.  :devil:

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#15 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 02:39 PM

the thing that gets me on this: airports in USA today, far from London, are having huge backups like they're doing different security today than last week ... wait for it ... so are they just freaking out or are they really doing more and if they're doing more than we didn't have appropriate security last week????! .. five years after nine-eleven, with our billions spent on Homeland dept., with the GOP getting such mileage out of 'Security!' scare tactics for their political gains, and of course anything happens security-wise and Mr Bush puts his face on it with on camera speeches today, to remind everyone that any other party is kindergartners when it comes to security, you can only be safe with GOP .....

so if I had flown last week, without a 3 hour line for security because they're making people throw away any makeup that's in plastic squeese tubes, that I would be unsafe? after spending untold billions on our security ideas cooked up by political staffers who want to put impressive accomplishments and initiatives on their resumes , that this week we must do three times the security checks we were doing in that Neglectful Irresponsible Air Security policy we operated under just two days ago ................ or is today's just some kind of fearful Overkill by CYA types? you be the judge.

sorry- it just gets to me sometimes .... so I'll be like the guy who does a pratfall schtick, then jumps up, "I'm okay! I'm good" - I'm just glad I don't have to fly this week ;)
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#16 Ilphi

Ilphi
  • Islander
  • 4,071 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 03:26 PM

(((((((((((Nonny)))))))))))

Thanks.

My Uncle wasn't quite so lucky, their family were planning to fly over to France today for a well-deserved break, but Ryanair cancelled so are stuck trying to work out a re-route, made a little tricky by the fact the website is deluged and on the fitz. My room outside London is only a short drive to Heathrow, and I can tell you the sky has been a lot quieter today!
Yea, ere my hot youth pass, I speak to my people and say:
Ye shall be foolish as I; ye shall scatter, not save;
Ye shall venture your all, lest ye lose what is more than all;
Ye shall call for a miracle, taking Christ at His word.
And for this I will answer, O people, answer here and hereafter,
The Fool - Padraic Pearse

#17 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 03:30 PM

Freaky!

A senior congressional source said it is believed the plotters planned to mix a British sports drink with a gel-like substance to make an explosive that they would possibly trigger with an MP3 player or cell phone.

The sports drink could be combined with a peroxide-based paste to form a potent "explosive cocktail," if properly done, said a U.S. counterterrorism official.

"There are strong reasons to believe the materials in a beverage like that could have been part of the formula," the official said.

Dude... what the feck're ya'll drinking over there!?  I know there's some crazy levels of caffeine and stuff in Red Bull or whatever, but what'n the heck kind of sports drink constitutes half an explosive?!  I'd be hesitant to drink that, 'cuz who knows what's in the cookies and stuff you eat with it?  Mr. Wizard might be at work in your stomach!

I'm actually somewhat familiar with homemade explosives (don't make 'em, just have studied up on 'em a bit) and nothing I've run across has involved any Gatorade variant...

These goofs could just drink a whole bunch of Gatorade, wait 'til they're airborne, eat some gummi bears made out of explosive gel, then jump up and down and *BOOM!*

(I realize that's far-fetched and silly, but... how far-fetched and silly is it?!   :eek2: )

Cheers,

Zwolf

P.S. - "Peroxide-based paste"?  Does this mean that if we, fer instance, pour Gatorade over Paris Hilton's head, she'll explode?  Let's try it!   Blonde bombshell redefined...

Edited by Zwolf, 10 August 2006 - 03:32 PM.

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."

#18 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 03:34 PM

View PostZwolf, on Aug 10 2006, 01:30 PM, said:

These goofs could just drink a whole bunch of Gatorade, wait 'til they're airborne, eat some gummi bears made out of explosive gel, then jump up and down and *BOOM!*
Or buy OTC meds and refill the time released gel caps with the stuff. Half the caps gatorade, half the caps boom paste.

#19 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 03:41 PM

Or buy OTC meds and refill the time released gel caps with the stuff. Half the caps gatorade, half the caps boom paste.

Sounds scarily feasible, doesn't it?  I wonder how they'd stop that?  They can't start making people throw up before they board a plane...

I'm sure stomach acids would throw the process off, but still, if half the explosive was a plain ol' off-the-shelf sports drink... that's unnerving.

Cheers,

Zwolf

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."

#20 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 04:29 PM

I've read that they might start banning electronic items from planes (like computers and cell phones). That'll get interesting. :eek4:
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Terrorism, UK, Scotland Yard, 2006, Plot disrupted

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users