99 replies to this topic

#21 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 04:34 PM

View PostJosh, on Aug 10 2006, 03:29 PM, said:

I've read that they might start banning electronic items from planes (like computers and cell phones). That'll get interesting. :eek4:

Israel's Mossad used an exploding cell phone to assassinate someone. I'm not sure how severely such a tactic could damage a commercial jetliner though.
"When the Fed is the bartender everybody drinks until they fall down." —Paul McCulley

"In truth, 'too big to fail' is not the worst thing we should fear – our financial institutions are now on their way to becoming 'too big to save'." —Simon Johnson

FKA:
TWP / An Affirming Flame / Solar Wind / Palisade

#22 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 04:37 PM

Depends, if someone put it up against a window or one of the emergency doors. If it's strong enough for assasination, it might well be strong enough to destroy airline plastic.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#23 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 04:37 PM

It's not really the components exploding that's a problem. It's that anything electronic can be used to detonate a bomb.
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#24 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 04:50 PM

View PostJosh, on Aug 10 2006, 03:37 PM, said:

It's not really the components exploding that's a problem. It's that anything electronic can be used to detonate a bomb.
You can make a battery out of an orange or other citric fruit. You might be able to get an electric current from the fruit strong enough to detonate the explosive. Of course, fruit would probably be banned anyway since it can be injected with liquid explosive.

Edited by Solar Wind, 10 August 2006 - 04:53 PM.

"When the Fed is the bartender everybody drinks until they fall down." —Paul McCulley

"In truth, 'too big to fail' is not the worst thing we should fear – our financial institutions are now on their way to becoming 'too big to save'." —Simon Johnson

FKA:

#25 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 05:05 PM

I've always contended that the only answer is to replace stewardi with anesthethists and nurses and put every passenger to sleep.  

Themis
Cats will never be extinct!

#26 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 05:07 PM

View PostThemis, on Aug 10 2006, 03:05 PM, said:

I've always contended that the only answer is to replace stewardi with anesthethists and nurses and put every passenger to sleep.  

Themis

That would certainly make overseas trips more compelling. ;)
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#27 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 05:07 PM

View PostThemis, on Aug 10 2006, 03:05 PM, said:

Themis
How about seperate planes for non-white people?

#28 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 05:29 PM

'Inside the UK terror plot'

http://blogs.abcnews.com/theblotter/

al Qaeda commander, funds from Karachi, similar to a 1995 plot to hit planes over the Pacific. (Musharef still has an al Qaeda problem in his land, they need to get even more busy; oh, and, it's STILL believed that bin Laden is still there)
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#29 Shaun

Shaun
  • Islander
  • 788 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 05:36 PM

MI5 had been tracking this particular bunch for months but only recently did they become a greater cause for concern when Pakistan's ISI gained additional intelligence which indicated they presented a more immediate threat.

It's believed that were going to attempt a dry run in the next couple of days with the actual attack to take place within the next 10 days.

Blair contacted Bush on Sunday to inform him of the situation before he went on holiday.

In the UK, Home Secretary John Reid and Douglas Alexander appear to be running the show rather than the Deputy PM who appears to have been completely sidelined. Prescott is reportedly 'incandescent with fury' at being excluded from COBRA briefings.
Shaun
Veni, vidi, vici

#30 Ilphi

Ilphi
  • Islander
  • 4,071 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 05:38 PM

Shaun, have you just been watching Newsnight? As usual it had a slightly better analysis of the events rather than the superficial level facts which the national news channels arn't getting past.
Yea, ere my hot youth pass, I speak to my people and say:
Ye shall be foolish as I; ye shall scatter, not save;
Ye shall venture your all, lest ye lose what is more than all;
Ye shall call for a miracle, taking Christ at His word.
And for this I will answer, O people, answer here and hereafter,
The Fool - Padraic Pearse

#31 Shaun

Shaun
  • Islander
  • 788 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 05:49 PM

^I saw the opening part of the programme but had to go do some other things. I'll catch the rest later.
Shaun
Veni, vidi, vici

#32 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 10:38 PM

Pretty much consigns contact lens wearers to traveling with eyeglasses since they won't be able to carry rewetting solution. Nor will they be able to carry the lens in a case with them so they'll have to take the chance of them being in checked luggage.

Edited by Anastashia, 11 August 2006 - 04:35 PM.

The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#33 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 11:38 PM

they're gonna lose a lot of money if authorities in general don't start doing a better job of cleaning up the terrorists.

if they try and make these rules permanent they aren't getting money out of me.  number one - i am not flying without my contact drops.  especially with the crappy recycled air on planes.  i'm also not packing my contacts and wearing my glasses, because if they end up outside the solution, they are ruined.  number two - i'm not flying without something to do.  if i can't even bring my book bag with some books, a notebook and pens, and discman on, they can forget it.  my discman will be destroyed stuffed with a bunch of crap in the hold.

and i know business people are NOT going to cotton to the idea of checking their laptops into the hold where they can be bashed, smashed and thrown around with all the other luggage.

unless these rules are temporary, the airlines better have fun trying to get ANYONE to fly now.

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#34 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 12:02 AM

View PostZwolf, on Aug 10 2006, 01:30 PM, said:

P.S. - "Peroxide-based paste"?  Does this mean that if we, fer instance, pour Gatorade over Paris Hilton's head, she'll explode?  Let's try it!   Blonde bombshell redefined...

Sounds like fun!  :devil:
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#35 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,501 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 05:03 AM

View PostHambil, on Aug 10 2006, 01:55 PM, said:

U.S. Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff said the plans were "suggestive of an al Qaeda plot," and President Bush said the arrests are a "stark reminder" that the U.S. is "at war with Islamic fascists."

Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

I don't think so either.  In fact, it's quite the opposite in meaning for what they're going for.  They're trying to use a term we once heard in history class which we will recognize as "evil" such as Musolini's Italy and Japan's Imperial age.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facist

View PostThemis, on Aug 10 2006, 05:05 PM, said:

Themis

Next thing you know, we'll be flying naked.  But we'd still have to undergo cavity searches for those sneaky people who want to place a bomb from you know where. :o
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Beryl Coronet

The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." --- Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Art,' 1841

"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once, 'Tis hard to reconcile." --- Macbeth IV.III.138-9

LauraBertram.net

"Once in one's life, for one mortal moment, one must make a grab for immortality; if not, one has not lived." -- Sylvester Stallone

Time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, open your eyes...Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears4Fears

#36 Shaun

Shaun
  • Islander
  • 788 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 06:43 AM

The rules are affecting pilots as well - they're not being allowed to bring on board their safety and aircraft operations manuals and have to carry their documents in clear bags.
Shaun
Veni, vidi, vici

#37 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 08:18 AM

View PostFnlPrblm, on Aug 11 2006, 04:03 AM, said:

Next thing you know, we'll be flying naked.  But we'd still have to undergo cavity searches for those sneaky people who want to place a bomb from you know where. :o

The terrorists will probably eventually figure out how to implant explosives into large, surgically implanted cysts in their bodies, and some of them my already have this capability. Of course, such a drastic measure is far from necessary as of yet since our airport security is so lax even all these years after the twin towers fell. I don't have a link, but I remember a recent study that showed that the percentage of forbidden items caught by U.S. airport screenings is not significantly different now than it was before September 11.

No matter what security precautions we evolve, someone will figure out a way around them (as those of us involved with computer security have found out). The key is striking a proper balance between prevention and providing acceptable access for legitimate passengers.

Edited by Solar Wind, 11 August 2006 - 12:14 PM.

FKA:

#38 Lyric of Delphi

Lyric of Delphi

A little too much LDS

• Islander
  • 9,092 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 09:22 AM

You know...I remember I was in a domestic terminal in India a few years ago, and there was a sign saying "No pickles allowed on flights." This seemed comical at the time, but now it doesn't seem so far-fetched.

Going through security is always a bad experience for me. Because I have an Indian name, I'm always "randomly searched." It's bullcrap and I'm sick of it, but I can almost see where they're coming from. Now it's just going to be worse.

I'm flying to school in a few weeks. I had already planned to have my new laptop sent to me a few days after I got there, so that won't be a problem. Do you think they'll let me take my violin? I'll be the first to admit that I could fit a few guns and a bomb or two in that case, but I refuse to check or ship that.

Actually, I have a fun story about my violin and planes, too. I was on the ramp leading to the plane...on the ramp!...and some guard ripped my violin case out of my hands, threw it to the ground, and roughly opened it up, taking the violin out straight into the path of people...I hate that guard to this day. He ruined my $400 bow by touching it with his oily fingers. Because horsehair can definitely be used as a weapon, especially if used with pickles.

#39 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 09:28 AM

View PostFnlPrblm, on Aug 11 2006, 04:03 AM, said:

Heehee....

I had that very idea and posted it on another board yesterday

Everybody naked and not allowed to eat or drink anything for at least three hours before their flight.

Really starting to wonder if this is not some plot to see how close to naked they can get us all. :eek2:

And believe me if you ever sat next to a gassy person on a plane....that can be really toxic :barf:

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#40 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 02:06 PM

CNN:

The original information about the plan came from the Muslim community in Britain, according to a British intelligence official.
At least CNN put that information into its article -- albeit buried in the middle.

Edited by Solar Wind, 11 August 2006 - 02:07 PM.

FKA:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Terrorism, UK, Scotland Yard, 2006, Plot disrupted

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users