• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sinister Dexter

Sinister Dexter

You win this time, Clerks...

• Islander
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 06:08 AM

First of all, I think that this was worth it just for the artwork in the back, after the stories have ended!

My favourite one is Lorraine McLees’ double page spread of the Master Chief sitting in front of a Pelican and two Warthogs, all his kit laid out before him, ready for inspection. It reminds me of a load of old Manga pics that show huge Mecha’s in similar poses. Would love to have it as the background image on my PC.

Next is Scott Fischer’s rather risqué image of Cortana standing in front of the Master Chief: I always knew that she was the second sexiest AI around (after Rommie), but god-damn does she look hot! See attachment for more.

Ok, on with the stories.

The Last Voyage Of The Infinite Succor by Lee Hammock and Simon Bisley (8/10): Both the art and the writing are brilliant, and it’s nice to see a story from the Covenants point of view. It feels like it’s a cut-scene from the first Halo game, and would have fitted in very well as another level.

Armor Testing by Jay Faerber, Ed Lee and Andrew Robinson (7/10): ok, the art work is good, better than you get in most main-stream comics these days, and the story is also first rate. What kind of messed it up for me is the sub-plot at the end with a Spartan that retired to start a family. Maybe it’s just me, but having read the three Halo novels that doesn’t sound like something one of them would do.

Breaking Quarantine by Tsutomu Nikei (9/10): don’t read this if you’re squeamish or you want lots of dialog in your stories, because there isn’t any. What you get is a tour-de-force of outstanding artwork that says it all without needing anything as simple as words. Fans of the living legend that is Sergeant Avery Johnson, UNMC, will love this one. And anyone who wants to know just how he escaped the Flood in Halo will also get a kick out of it.

Second Sunrise Over New Mombassa by Brett Lewis and Moebius (9/10): ok, this is the one most comic book fans will want to skip straight to. The chance to see the legendery artist Moebius unleashed on the Halo universe is enough to send shivers up and down your spine. And I’m glad to say that you’re not disappointed. Ok, so it may not be the photo-realistic art that a lot of people want these days, but it is still full of life and colour. Brett Lewis’ story adds to the Halo universes, showing us the more human side that is easy to miss when you’re stopping around in half a ton of armour.

My personal favourite out of the four.

Hope that helps.

Attached Images

• Cortana01.JPG

Rommie: I just want a day where I can build missiles and tweak fire control in peace
Beka: We need to find you a hobby
Rommie: That IS my hobby

Daniel: She's Hathor, the goddess of fertility, inebriety, and music
Jack: Sex, drugs and rock & roll?

Moist Von Lipvig: Oh, all right. Of course I accept as a natural born criminal, habitual liar, fraudster and totally untrustworthy perverted genius
Lord Vetinari: Capital! Welcome to government service!

Mary Raven: ....your house smells weird
Dr Vukovic: It smells of SCIENCE!

Wooster: Why is it, do you think, Jeeves, that the thought of the "little thing" my Aunt Dahlia wants me to do for her fills me with a nameless foreboding?
Jeeves: Experience, sir?

#2 Hawkeye

Hawkeye

I regret I have but one life to waste infront of videogames.

• Islander
  • 8,278 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 10:26 AM

I've no idea where i might get this, but i'll have to go looking for it ;)
Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits, and Are melted into air, into thin air; And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind.

Posted Image

#3 Sinister Dexter

Sinister Dexter

You win this time, Clerks...

• Islander
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 11:01 AM

View PostHawkeye, on Aug 12 2006, 04:26 PM, said:

I've no idea where i might get this, but i'll have to go looking for it ;)
ISBN 0785123725

Hope that helps
Rommie: I just want a day where I can build missiles and tweak fire control in peace
Beka: We need to find you a hobby
Rommie: That IS my hobby

Daniel: She's Hathor, the goddess of fertility, inebriety, and music
Jack: Sex, drugs and rock & roll?

Moist Von Lipvig: Oh, all right. Of course I accept as a natural born criminal, habitual liar, fraudster and totally untrustworthy perverted genius
Lord Vetinari: Capital! Welcome to government service!

Mary Raven: ....your house smells weird
Dr Vukovic: It smells of SCIENCE!

Wooster: Why is it, do you think, Jeeves, that the thought of the "little thing" my Aunt Dahlia wants me to do for her fills me with a nameless foreboding?
Jeeves: Experience, sir?

#4 Hawkeye

Hawkeye

I regret I have but one life to waste infront of videogames.

• Islander
  • 8,278 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 01:24 PM

Cool, thanks
Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits, and Are melted into air, into thin air; And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind.

Posted Image

#5 Shadowfire

Shadowfire

I am a guy lol!!!

• Dead account
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 04:53 PM

Amazon.co.uk :p

PROUD STUDENT OF SHEFFIELD HALLAM UNVERSITY

View PostRobL, on Jul 20 2009, 06:35 PM, said:

Every time I see a political thread I fondle myself just a little bit.............

'I honestly cannot justify that. You see, advertising isn't an art. Appealing to the English? Use someone from Hollyoaks and diss United. Scots? Talk about how evil Thatcher was. SNP is awesome etc. Americans? Well they be thick as sh*t so short sentences and shiny things and some Jesus helps too.. French and Germans? Talk about the war. Irish? f*ck that we can't sell sh*t in Ireland. That's frankly how it all works. So what I'm trying to say is that I'm happy you're dumping all this cash into advertising... I honestly don't see what you want me to do with it.  And also, that blip in the records in June was me buying monitors.-- never ask me to be 'brutally honest' about a budget.

You of course realise that anything you post here is comprised of ASCII characters? Each character is 7 bits with a parity bit making 8... I guess that's fairly meaningless to you which is actually the point. At most your sentence is a few kilobytes and considering I'm doing a file transfer of over a billion bytes right now those bytes making up your words are invisible with their insignificance, which is exact what I think of your post. Insignificant.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users