History-American Civil War Ulysses S. Grant 2006

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 Crimson Avenger

Crimson Avenger
  • Islander
  • 78 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 10:48 AM

Hi, I need help with my Social Studies project.  Does anybody know about Ulysses S. Grant?

--  Crimson Avenger
Posted Image

#2 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 10:52 AM

I'm not sure what I could tell you that you couldn't google and find better. He was a general for the Union side in the civil war, supposedly a drunk, very by the books kind of guy, faced Lee is a number of critical battles... became president. Wikipedia has a great write up on him. http://en.wikipedia....lysses_S._Grant

Edited by Hambil, 15 August 2006 - 10:53 AM.

#3 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,634 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 10:57 AM

I'm sure there are many online sites that give you Grant's biography, Crimson Avenger.  The short answer is that he won the Civil War.  The Union had a series of commanders who were not proactive in confronting the Confederate troops under the brilliant leadership of Gen. Robert E. Lee, and Grant's career had stalled during peace time so that he wasn't anyone's first choice as a commander.  (He also had a drinking problem.)  But President Lincoln finally did give him command, and his tactics and strategies eventually drove the Union troops to victory.

Grant later became president, but he was not a very good commander-in-chief, his administration being plagued by corruption.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#4 Crimson Avenger

Crimson Avenger
  • Islander
  • 78 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 11:31 AM

Sorry.  I didn't tell you what I know.  I know he fought in the Civil War as a Union General and that he was the 18th president of the United States.  I need to know what else he did :(

-- Crimson Avenger
Posted Image

#5 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 11:40 AM

The White House Site has a short biography on Grant.  If you need more information than the site provides I suggest looking up a biography of Grant at your local library.
Biography of Grant
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#6 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 11:51 AM

I don't mean to single you out and pick on you, Crimson Avenger, but there's something a little disturbing about someone asking for information on a subject that's very easily accessible to anyone with access to a search engine.

I punched Ulysses Grant into google and here are the first four results that came back:

Ulysses S. Grant
Biography of Ulysses S. Grant, the eighteenth Presidentof the United States (1869-1877).
www.whitehouse.gov/history/presidents/ug18.html - 35k - Cached - Similar pages

Ulysses S. Grant
Wikipedia article on Ulysses Grant.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulysses_S._Grant - 140k - Cached - Similar pages

Ulysses S. Grant Home Page
The Internet's largest site on Ulysses S. Grant, with hundreds of pictures and articles for students of all ages.
www.empirenet.com/~ulysses/ - 5k - Cached - Similar pages

Ulysses Simpson Grant Biography
The latter was born Hiram Ulysses Grant in Ohio but through confusion at West Point he became Ulysses Simpson Grant. Appointed to the military academy, ...
www.civilwarhome.com/grantbio.htm - 10k - Cached - Similar pages

Thos pages all look great and informative.  So what exactly are you hoping for from the denizens of Exisle that these sites and others can't provide?
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#7 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 11:56 AM

http://twister.lib.s...ojects/usgrant/

http://en.wikipedia....lysses_S._Grant

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/grant/

http://www.nps.gov/p...n/edbiosug.html
Can't Touch This!!

#8 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,630 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 12:07 PM

How detailed an answer are you looking for?

In short, he was a soldier, farmer and real estate agent (not particularly successful), bill collector (not particularly successful), and assistant to a leathersmith.  Come the Civil War he'd re-join the Army and become a successful officer and general; afterwards he was a president who left a mixed legacy, he authored his memoirs (which were well received), and died of throat cancer.

As others point out, there is a lot of good material available on line, and probably even more available in print.  I strongly recommend that you employ them, as you will be asked to cite the source that supports any statements of fact you make about the man.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 15 August 2006 - 12:20 PM.

Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#9 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 12:08 PM

Crimson Avenger: What grade level is this for?

Grant's famous primarily for his successful generalship during the Civil War, his leadership style and skills, and being President (albeit a lackluster one as has already been pointed out).

Edited by Solar Wind, 15 August 2006 - 12:20 PM.

"When the Fed is the bartender everybody drinks until they fall down." —Paul McCulley

"In truth, 'too big to fail' is not the worst thing we should fear – our financial institutions are now on their way to becoming 'too big to save'." —Simon Johnson

FKA:
TWP / An Affirming Flame / Solar Wind / Palisade

#10 Talkie Toaster

Talkie Toaster

There's no Shepard without Vakarian

• Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 12:13 PM

No offense, but did you try searching on google or looking in a library before asking strangers to do your homework?
Blessed is the mind too small for doubt.

#11 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 12:15 PM

One thing people often don't think to do is use google to find lesser know information. A google search of Ulysses S. Grant trivia yields some interesting facts:

http://www.promotega...0019/trivia.htm
http://www.geocities...acts/grant.html

Grant was one of three presidents to graduate from a military academy: West Point.

He finished his memoirs only a few weeks before his death from cancer. The book brought in $500,000 for his family after his death.

While president, Ulysses S. Grant was arrested for driving his horse too fast. He was fined $20.

His real name was Hiram Ulysses Grant. He changed it because he didn't want to enter West Point with the initials H.U.G.

Grant was a fourth cousin once removed of Franklin D. Roosevelt, a sixth cousin once removed of Grover Cleveland, and a first cousin three times removed to Judy Garland.

Grant ate a cucumber soaked in vinegar for breakfast each day.

Grant was the first president to have both parents alive when he took office.

Witness to some of the bloodiest battles in history, Grant could not stomach the sight of animal blood -- rare steak nauseated him.

Grant used around seven to ten cigars a day. Of this 7-10, he often did not smoke them at all. A reporter wrotethat Grant liked cigars, and people started to send him cigars. He received over 20,000.

Ten years after he was president, Grant was stricken with throat cancer. He regularly swabbed his throat with cocaine, becoming addicted to it.

Grant once said that he knew only two songs, "One was Yankee Doodle, and the other wasn't."

Grant was the second man in American history to be a Lieutenant General.

Ulysses S. Grant had the boyhood nickname 'Useless'.

His original name was Hiram Ulysses Grant. He was named Hiram after his grandfather, and Ulysses after the hero in Greek mythology.

#12 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 12:41 PM

View PostTalkie Toaster, on Aug 15 2006, 10:13 AM, said:

No offense, but did you try searching on google or looking in a library before asking strangers to do your homework?
I think that's a bit harsh. I don't see that much of a difference between googling or asking on a message board. They are both forms of information gathering. We are just 'human' search engines. We also may have experience he might not have - such as the suggestion for trivia I gave. For all he knows someone here did a masters thesis on Grant. Suggesting googling (as I did) is one thing, but saying he is trying to get someone else to do his homework seems ingenuous - he still has to gather all the information from whatever source, and write the paper.

#13 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 12:50 PM

View PostHambil, on Aug 15 2006, 10:41 AM, said:

I think that's a bit harsh. I don't see that much of a difference between googling or asking on a message board. They are both forms of information gathering. We are just 'human' search engines. We also may have experience he might not have - such as the suggestion for trivia I gave. For all he knows someone here did a masters thesis on Grant. Suggesting googling (as I did) is one thing, but saying he is trying to get someone else to do his homework seems ingenuous - he still has to gather all the information from whatever source, and write the paper.

Agreed, and we're more fun to talk to than a search engine.

Just letting CA know where to go and look is helpful.  He's not asking us to do his homeowrk, and I know him [through his mother] well enough to know that isn't his intention.

These are some good leads CA, have fun with the report.  :)

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#14 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 01:12 PM

while i don't see anything wrong with asking here, i do kinda wonder why you didn't punch Grant's name into google.  plenty of info out there that's easy to find about my fave president. :)

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#15 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 01:52 PM

Geez, CA is what, 11, (he's QT's son) and he likes to come here and ask us for leads. Give the kid a break!

::Rhea waves at CA::

Good luck with the paper!!!!

Edited by Rhea, 15 August 2006 - 01:53 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#16 Crimson Avenger

Crimson Avenger
  • Islander
  • 78 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 02:34 PM

I'm really sorry that I gave you guys the impression that I didn't do any research myself.  I have been doing lots of research on Ulysses Grant.  For example, after he fought in the Mexican War, he tried farming bit failed, so he worked at his brother's shop until the Civil War began.  In the beginning of the War he was the brigader general of volunteers.  

For my project, I have to write a five-paragraph essay about why I think Ulysses S. Grant was a hero.  In my opinion, I think he showed heroism by fighting to keep the nation together.  For, example, he fought in the battle of Shiloh, on of of the bloodiest battles ever.  However, I would like your opinion on why he is a hero if you think he is a hero.
Posted Image

#17 emsparks

emsparks
  • Forever Missed
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 02:34 PM

What did Grant do?

He did two very important things; first he won the American civil war. The second thing he did was while despising slavery, at the Appomattox Court House surrender, he allowed the confederate army to surrender with dignity. In short he finished the war and started the national healing, from a war that cost over 600,000 American lives.

CA,
Read up on the Appomattox Court House surrender, it has to do with how you treat the defeated.

Edited by emsparks, 15 August 2006 - 02:37 PM.

Sparky::

Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.

#18 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,630 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 02:50 PM

View PostCrimson Avenger, on Aug 15 2006, 07:34 PM, said:

I'm really sorry that I gave you guys the impression that I didn't do any research myself.  I have been doing lots of research on Ulysses Grant.  For example, after he fought in the Mexican War, he tried farming bit failed, so he worked at his brother's shop until the Civil War began.  In the beginning of the War he was the brigader general of volunteers.  

For my project, I have to write a five-paragraph essay about why I think Ulysses S. Grant was a hero.  In my opinion, I think he showed heroism by fighting to keep the nation together.  For, example, he fought in the battle of Shiloh, on of of the bloodiest battles ever.  However, I would like your opinion on why he is a hero if you think he is a hero.

If you take a look at Grant's presidency, you'll find that he was fighting against the white supremacists and the Ku Klux Klan in the south while trying to secure civil rights for the recently freed slaves despite the apathy for their current plight in the North.  He pretty much stabilized the Republican Party in the South, and was the one who coined the term Grand Old Party (GOP).  You'll also find that he was the man who made the greenback (the green-colored dollar bill) the official US Currency (backed by the gold standard), that pretty much remained the standard until just recently when they started introducing color into our money.  This last was during a time when the individual banks would print out their own money and the value of the bank script rose and fell with that bank.  He was behind the opening of the west, which many whites applauded though I'm sure the native Americans didn't appreciate it.  

I think, once you get past the corruption and scandal that swirled around him, you'll see that he was tackling many tough issues during his presidency, and managed to accomplish quite a bit of good during his term of office.  Plus, his presidency isn't so commonly thought of or referenced when people talk about him, so this might pleasantly surprise your teacher to see that you included this more rarely mentioned aspect of his career.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#19 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,309 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 02:53 PM

<Mom interjection>

I'm here at work with Crimson Avenger, who has been struggling for a couple of weeks on a summer project to study Ulysses S. Grant.  The problem has been that his teacher made a point of emphasizing that the report should not be a biography, but discuss how some person from the Civil War era was a hero(ine). CA chose US Grant, and has been reading up on him for a bit, but can't get past the idea that he's not supposed to write a biography.

At 10, when most of his classmates are 12 or 13, I think the problem is him taking his teacher a bit too literally.  I explained that anytime you write about someone else, you're doing something biographical, but that his teacher wanted him to emphasize the heroism, and explain why some things counted toward that person being a hero. Wouldn't that be your interpretation?

Nonetheless, CA is stuck, and so I suggested that he do the following:

1. Think a bit about what a hero is.
2. Write his thoughts down and think about how US Grant's life reflects HIS own values for heroism.
3. Post on Ex Isle explaining the project, how he's done so far, and asking Ex Islers their views on US Grant as a hero.

CA hates to write, and so his actual post reflected none of what mom suggested, with the predictable result that everyone thought he was just lazying out on the project. :( OK.  I'm letting him deal with it, because I gave him instructions, and while he isn't lazying out on the project, he DID lazy out on those posts...

Anyway - thanks to everyone for their contributions here, and thanks, Hambil, Cait & Rhea for softening the blow of the lesson learned... :)

QT

Edited by QueenTiye, 15 August 2006 - 02:55 PM.

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#20 Crimson Avenger

Crimson Avenger
  • Islander
  • 78 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 03:03 PM

Weird duplicate post :wacko:  :crazy:

Edited by Crimson Avenger, 15 August 2006 - 03:11 PM.

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: History-American, Civil War, Ulysses S. Grant, 2006

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users