Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Joe Rosenthal (1911-2006) has died at age 95.

Obituaries Joe Rosenthal dead at 95 Photographer Pulitzer Prize winner Iwo Jima WWII photo

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 emsparks

emsparks
  • Forever Missed
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 05:19 AM

wikipedia artical
CNN Artical

I am not a Marine, so I will leave the tribute to members of the corp., past and present.
It was then said at the time that his photograph “insured the existence of the corp. for the next 500 years.” Seldom has one photograph at once had so much effect while being so emblematic of such uncommon valor.

:welldone: Well done; Mr. Rosenthal, say hello to Ernie Pyle for us…

wikipedia arftical on Ernie_Pyle

Edited by emsparks, 21 August 2006 - 05:22 AM.

Sparky::

Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.

#2 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 05:49 AM

This is so sad to hear!

Rest in Peace Sir!

Edited by Shalamar, 21 August 2006 - 05:50 AM.

The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#3 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 11:57 AM

My veterans club does a reenactment for the community every Veterans Day.  Thrilling!   :)  

Rest in peace.
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#4 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 12:26 PM

Wow! He lived in my town and I didn't even know it! :(
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#5 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 02:02 PM

View PostRhea, on Aug 21 2006, 10:26 AM, said:

Wow! He lived in my town and I didn't even know it! :(
I noticed that.
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#6 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 02:30 PM

back when I was about nine, that photo with that hill and that flag was one of the earliest images and impressions I had of the second world war, and I didn't have first hand accounts like from a daddy or uncle because they were about nine on VJ day, so .......................... that flag and other questions put me into books, that second great war began my reading skills and embarked me upon a lifetime of reading and model building (only back then as a kid, I'm not in the league of this air force pilot guy you see around building those wonderful star trek models ) on world war two; ........... I spent all my teen years, besides baseball and school and traveling, reading and learning and digging and delving into the RAF and the Big red one, and the marines and troops hitting Okinawa and Battle of the Bulge and Monty and Patton and all that: but that photo right there kicked me off on it, when you're nine and you see a photo it can go in and then go out, or it can stay and get you diggin in deep ...... so that guy can know that many of us really 'got' his photo :D

I still yet have to read that new book, honour the flag or whatever it's called, and the new movie which I'll see even Though I'm not Keen on the star of it, it's Franco isn't it? from Spiderman? or is he Flyboys? or is he both?

but I will read that book, library has five of em, I can get one, not only tells that week on Iwo but what happened to them after. :(
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#7 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 03:54 PM

He was a great newspaperman. He was with the San Francisco Chronicle for many years.

He said he got the shot by accident. He wasn't going to go up there, then he changed his mind, saw that they were putting up another, larger flag, and got lucky. Modest, too. That's arguably the most famous Pulitzer Prize-winning photograph ever.

Edited by Rhea, 21 August 2006 - 03:56 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Obituaries, Joe Rosenthal, dead at 95, Photographer, Pulitzer Prize winner, Iwo Jima, WWII photo

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users