5 replies to this topic

#1 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 06:14 AM

http://news.bbc.co.u...lth/5304910.stm

Two men have been cleared of deadly skin cancer using genetically modified versions of their own immune cells.

The US National Cancer Institute team in Bethesda has also shown it can manipulate immune cells to attack breast, liver and lung cancers.

The modified T cells persisted in 15 other patients treated, but their malignant melanomas remained.

The success ratio is low, but it seems to be a promising start.

For Mark Origer, 53, the treatment completely eliminated his skin cancer and another tumour on his liver shrunk enough that it could be removed surgically.

Another man, aged 39, was able to clear the cancer that had spread to his liver, lymph nodes and lung.

Professor John Toy, medical director at Cancer Research UK, said: "These are preliminary but promising results.

I think about sums it up :)

Edited by Godeskian, 01 September 2006 - 06:14 AM.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#2 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 12:04 PM

:cool:  :cool:  It may be a low ratio, but for the people it worked on, it beats the hell out of dying.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#3 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 12:49 PM

Oh absolutely. :)

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#4 Mel

Mel
  • Islander
  • 447 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 01:36 PM

My Dad's in a different clinical trial for the same condition (metastic melanoma).  He's receiving MAb to a CTL4 marker on activated T cells enhancing his body's response to the cancer.  He gets treatment every 90 days.  When he started he had a large tumor in one adrenal and multiple nodules in his lungs (mix of small and lung).  He's only had two treatments so far, but most of his small lung nodules have disappeared (by imaging studies) and his larger tumors have all shrunk.  This is a trial so there is NO data on how long the treatment may help or what the long term side effects may be, but we're hopeful.  

He's already >1 year post-diagnosis with no significant decrease in his quality of life which is rare.  He has minor fatigue now from the treatment and he went through several months of h*ll during the IL-2 treatment that failed.  Given the lack of treatments for this cancer (only those who are pretty healthy going in can even tolerate long term IL-2 therapy and only 15% respond) and the dismal sucess rate, better treatments are desparately needed.

#5 Fragsta

Fragsta

The grandmaster of doom!

• Islander
  • 554 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 05:58 PM

Result! It's high time something like this was developed. I'm glad it's off to a slightly positive start. Quite quick, too. Many people suffer for years longer than the time it took for the cells to work.

I saw on the news on TV earlier that other, similar treatments are being developed for other kinds of cancer including breast cancer. Like they have said, not a miracle cure, but perhaps this could be on the road to widespread cures?

@ Mel: That sounds quite promising in terms of his quality of life. I hope it gets even better :)
Posted ImagePosted Image
Noticed my avatar and sig changing? Yours can too with the random sig imager!

#6 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 03:44 PM

Mel- my best wishes, I hope it continues to get better :)

As for the low ratio T-cell potential cure, it helping anyone is better than no one and is great on its own- the fact that it could lead on to greater things is fantastic. :)

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Medical Research, T-cells, Cancer cure, 2006

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users