• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 07:50 PM

http://news.yahoo.co...s/obit_connally

Nellie Connally, the former Texas first lady who was riding in President Kennedy's limousine when he was assassinated, has died, a family friend said Saturday. The 87-year-old was the last living person who had been part of that fateful Dallas drive.

Connally, the widow of former Gov. John Connally, died late Friday at Westminster Manor in Austin, said Julian Read, who served as the governor's press secretary in the 1960s.

"Total surprise," he said. "She has been extremely active and vital the past few days and weeks. ... It's a shock to all of us."

Connally had said the most enduring image she had of the Nov. 22, 1963, assassination was of a mixture of blood and roses.

"It's the image of yellow roses and red roses and blood all over the car ... all over us," she said in a 2003 interview with The Associated Press. "I'll never forget it. ... It was so quick and so short, so potent."

As the limousine carrying the Connallys and the Kennedys wound its way through the friendly crowd in downtown Dallas, Nellie Connally turned to President Kennedy, who was in a seat behind her, and said, "Mr. President, you can't say Dallas doesn't love you."

Almost immediately, she heard the first of what she later concluded were three gunshots in quick succession. Connally slumped after the second shot, and, "I never looked back again. I was just trying to take care of him," she said.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#2 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 10:12 PM

:(

And she always believed Lee Harvey was not alone.
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#3 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 01:51 PM

She was a fascinating woman, overlooked almost all of her life, even as the governer's wife.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#4 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 03:29 PM

And she was active right up till the moment she died. Boy, I'd like to go that way.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Obituaries, Nelly Connoly, 2006

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users