• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 12:07 AM

Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin killed

BRISBANE, Australia - Steve Irwin, the Australian television personality and environmentalist known as the Crocodile Hunter, was killed Monday by a stingray barb during a diving expedition, Australian media reported. He was 44.

The accident happened while Irwin was filming an underwater documentary on the Great Barrier Reef in northeastern Queensland state, Sydney's The Daily Telegraph newspaper reported on its Web site

:(

news.com.au

It is understood he was killed by a stingray barb that went through his chest.

:eek4:

It is believed his American-born wife Terri is trekking on Cradle Mountain in Tasmania and is yet to be told of her husband's death.

Feels weird - the world knowing before she does. Hope a reporter doesn't see her first...

Edited by Shoshana, 04 September 2006 - 12:11 AM.

#2 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 12:11 AM

Mark: This news is very upsetting to me. I really liked Steve, and my condolences go to his wonderful family. I always thought Steve would die while doing his work, because he took so many risks, but I always thought it would be a crocodile that would get him.  :(
Mark
Discussion is an exchange of knowledge: argument is an exchange of ignorance.
Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it.
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#3 Natasha Bennett

Natasha Bennett
  • Demigod
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 12:15 AM

Oh no!!!!!  :eek:

#4 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 12:17 AM

I feel for his family too.

From what I can tell, the Sydney Morning Herald is reporting that his wife has been informed now..

edited to add: I always figured he knew the most about crocs and that that was the least dangerous animal he was around - for him anyway.

Edited by Shoshana, 04 September 2006 - 12:19 AM.

#5 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 12:39 AM

I posted this in GMD, fyi.

I always figured he'd die by animal stunt, but damn I'm still sad to see this :(

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#6 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 12:40 AM

I too always felt his work would be his death, but not a croc, but most likely a snake.

Oh how I wish this were all a hoax. I just found out and my heart stopped a little...just hurts...

My heart goes out to his family and friends.

You will be sorely missed Steve, sorely missed.

Blessed Be and thank you for all the gasps and meeps! I don't think any one can replace you.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#7 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 12:49 AM

What a shame. and with two small children, too.  :dontgetit:  But I guess his luck couldn't hold forever.  :pout:

Edited by Rhea, 04 September 2006 - 12:49 AM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#8 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 12:58 AM

Sad, but not surprising.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#9 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 01:00 AM

View PostMark, on Sep 3 2006, 10:11 PM, said:

Mark: This news is very upsetting to me. I really liked Steve, and my condolences go to his wonderful family. I always thought Steve would die while doing his work, because he took so many risks, but I always thought it would be a crocodile that would get him.  :(

What Mark said.

Some say he was crazy.  Maybe he was.  But no one can deny he had guts.  I really, really liked him, and his enthusiasm of critters.  He was a really good guy. :cry: :down:
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#10 emsparks

emsparks
  • Forever Missed
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 05:29 AM

I am truly sorry, rest in peace Steve.
Sparky::

Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.

#11 Fragsta

Fragsta

The grandmaster of doom!

• Islander
  • 554 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 06:02 AM

How terrible, what a bad way to die! :( And his poor wife. RIP, Steve.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Noticed my avatar and sig changing? Yours can too with the random sig imager!

#12 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 06:47 AM

This is terrible news for his family. :down:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#13 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 06:54 AM

What a shame. Maybe the one consolation is that he died doing something he obviously loved.
The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#14 Lyric of Delphi

Lyric of Delphi

A little too much LDS

• Islander
  • 9,092 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 08:13 AM

I feel fortunate that I got to see him two years ago. He was riding his motorbike with his kids on his way to work in the morning, and he shouted a cheery "G'day!" to us American tourists. :cry:

He might have been a little nuts, but he always had good intentions. Saving various animals and running a zoo with the main idea of environmental conservation behind it. He will be missed. :(

#15 FlatlandDan

FlatlandDan

Sophisticate

• Islander
  • 8,824 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 08:31 AM

My sympathies to his family and friends.

It's the way I'd want to go (instantly on a reef) and I'm sure it's the way Steve would have wanted to go as well.
My candle burns at both its ends;
It will not last the night;
But oh, my foes, and oh, my friends --
It gives a lovely light."
-Edna St. Vincent Millay

#16 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 09:57 AM

As I said in the other thread-he was doing what he loved to do.

He probably wouldn't have wanted it any different.

But still... :(
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#17 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 10:24 AM

View PostHibblette, on Sep 4 2006, 07:57 AM, said:

He probably wouldn't have wanted it any different.
He probably would have wanted it at 84, not 44, though.

#18 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 01:02 PM

^^^ True

Nobody wants to die and leave their children alone.  Not sure how old the little girl was but his son is maybe only 2 or 3

MY condolences to his family.  The fact that he was doing what he loved most and that it sounds as if he went very quickly....might help them in the future in dealing with his loss.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#19 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 01:07 PM

When it happens it happens.

And in that case perhaps he should have been thinking of them.

He was a guy who took chances-took it to the edge and I don't think he was an idiot, he knew what those chances were.
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#20 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 01:25 PM

^^Maybe but from everything i have heard this morning it sounds as if this was an extremely rare occurence.  Death by stingray.

I am like most people tho who believed that if Steve Irwin died from any creature, it would be a poisonous snake and not like this.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Obituaries, Crocodile Hunter, 2006

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users