• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#21 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 01:32 PM

I was goin around wondering how this would have happened, people don't usually die from stingrays, but I hear today that it was what things often are, an unusual combination : the venom barb went right in his heart, causing a heart arrest (and med help was far away) : the news showed what a stingray barb looks like close up, it's like some nasty weapon that Predator or Alien would have: plus a venom which is why they say Sting in Stingray.

so either the barb itself piercing the heart, or the venom of the sting introduced directly in the heart .......... it was just plain bad joss the location it struck, if it had been anywhere else ................ so now his 2 1/2 yr old son won't even really remember daddy. My earliest photoflash memory of daddy is when he came home from a long cruise when I was three and he brought me a toy, but I remember more what the toy looks like than daddy. When you're fifteen or older, you think back to some mem when you were 2 1/2, just how much can you 'member?? so he really won't know his daddy, sad, so sad. I guess mr Crikey didn't even have it hint or occur that a stingray could make such a risk. :(

I will always 'member that guy coming on tv shows, bringing on some Monitor lookin like a gator, letin it romp all around the set with everyone whoopin like it's some dangerous thing and he's just goin on and on about some facet of the thing, on eye cocked over but not LOOKIN like he has one eye cocked over, part of his schtick being an apparent nonchalance and incaution; he was funny, and he knew that funny hook would bring people into lookin at animals and learnin. What's his wife gonna feel now, about What do I do Now????
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#22 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 02:45 PM

Mark: My guess is that Terri will continue her husband's work...except do so in her own unique fashion. She is also very dedicated to wildlife conservation, so I suppose she'll do what comes naturally.
If not, I guess we still have Jeff Corwin...who I also really admire, and like.
Mark
Discussion is an exchange of knowledge: argument is an exchange of ignorance.
Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it.
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#23 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 04:39 PM

View Posttrikay, on Sep 4 2006, 11:02 AM, said:

^^^ True

Nobody wants to die and leave their children alone.  Not sure how old the little girl was but his son is maybe only 2 or 3

MY condolences to his family.  The fact that he was doing what he loved most and that it sounds as if he went very quickly....might help them in the future in dealing with his loss.

Bindi's 8 - terrible age to lose your daddy.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#24 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 09:40 PM

i honestly thought one of his crocs would eat him and that would be the cause of his death.  the stingray thing surprised me.

hopefully his conservation efforts will live on.

RIP Steve.

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#25 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 09:54 AM

View Postoffworlder, on Sep 4 2006, 11:32 AM, said:

so either the barb itself piercing the heart, or the venom of the sting introduced directly in the heart .......... it was just plain bad joss the location it struck, if it had been anywhere else ................

It wasn't the venom - the barb went directly into his heart and according to later reports, he himself pulled it out (probably not realizing what would happen). The consensus among experts is that, because of the shape of the barb, the worst damage is done not going in, but coming out. :eek:

Edited by Rhea, 05 September 2006 - 09:55 AM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#26 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 11:05 AM

View PostRhea, on Sep 5 2006, 07:54 AM, said:

View Postoffworlder, on Sep 4 2006, 11:32 AM, said:

so either the barb itself piercing the heart, or the venom of the sting introduced directly in the heart .......... it was just plain bad joss the location it struck, if it had been anywhere else ................

It wasn't the venom - the barb went directly into his heart and according to later reports, he himself pulled it out (probably not realizing what would happen). The consensus among experts is that, because of the shape of the barb, the worst damage is done not going in, but coming out. :eek:
My understanding is that his heart stopped the moment the barb went in. They couldn't give CPR with it in his heart. You have about 15 seconds once your heart stops beating before you pass out. He did the only thing that made sense, is my guess.

#27 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 12:29 PM

There was talk this morning that his death was taped as the cameras were filming for his children's program.

I'm just hoping that someone has the common decency NOT to air that.  

I'm one of those people who are not interested in seeing something like that tho others may be.

As to what caused his death the general consensus is that it was not the toxin of the stingray but the actual barb itself...whether it was the actual initial piercing or the removal...either way it was damage to the heart. I'm not even sure that if they had been on a hospital ship with an operating room and a whole team of doctors that they could have saved him.

But to try to remove it.....that is only a natural reaction even if it may not be the right one.

Edited by trikay, 05 September 2006 - 12:34 PM.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#28 szhismine

szhismine

why must you hurt me in this way Harry...

• Islander
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 01:53 PM

i haven't thought/heard of Steve Irwin in years, i think the last time i saw him on tv was the whole controversy about holding his baby son while feeding a crocodile. i was shocked to hear about his death, and i was surprised. yes in his line of work you can die at any moment, but it still seemed like he couldn't die, know what i mean? anyway it's a terrible thing, my heart goes out to his family.
Neville: "My grandmother forbids me from using raunchy language."
Harry: "Well your grandmother is a Blast-Ended Skank!"
Neville: *GASP*
Hermione: "He doesn't mean it Neville, he's just testing out some wizard swears."
Harry: "I mean every word I ever say ever, because I'm Harry Potter." --'Wizard Swears', Potter Puppet Pals

Hermione: "What's your problem Harry?"
Harry: "My parents are dead, my life sucks, I can't hold down a girlfriend, and I'm surrounded by f*ck*ng goblins and sh*t all the time. I mean what the f*ck?"
Ron: "But it's magic Harry. The goblins are magical!" --'Wizard Angst', Potter Puppet Pals

Me: "It's just a matter of looking past [McKay's] arrogant exterior to see his warm, fuzzy, probably angst-filled interior."
Hawkeye: "You harperchondriac girls think everyone has an angst filled interior."

"Good gods, you sniff out angst like a police dog sniffs out drugs." --Lyric (to me)

#29 shambalayogi

shambalayogi

Fan of Many Things

• Islander
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 02:27 PM

I was so sorry to hear this! May he rest in peace and his family and friends have comfort in each other and in his memory.
Shamba,
I Trust SNAPE!  so .. he better be loyal!
I Knew Where NZ was before LOTR!
Frodo Lives! Long Live the King!
It may not be a time of myth and legend, but it's
definitely a time for heroes and heroines!
Shambalayogi's Retreat
Tulsa Trek Expo
Comic Con In 2008
Learn About Peak Oil

#30 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 02:40 PM

The Conservationist Movement lost one of its greatest advocates.  Steve Irwin was always one who stood up for some of the less than favored animals.  He was a powerful advocate for nature with his popularity, showmanship, and the fact that he wasn’t a radical environmentalist.  His passion for all things in nature was infectious.  

It is ironic that it was a Stingray that got him.  I think when it came to crocs and snakes the guy knew what he was doing even though it looked dangerous.  When his best guess was off he was always fast enough and lucky enough to jump away.  That stingray caught him out of his element and in the one situation where he could just away fast enough.          

View Posttrikay, on Sep 5 2006, 01:29 PM, said:

I'm not even sure that if they had been on a hospital ship with an operating room and a whole team of doctors that they could have saved him.
The only chance he would have had is if no one had pulled out the barb.  That would have been next to impossible.
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#31 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 04:00 PM

One of the most annoying people ever on TV. I couldn't stand to watch him, especially after the pictures with the kid and the Croc.

I wouldn't wish death on him, especially having a 8 inch barbed spear stuck through your heart.

Condoleneces to the family.
Can't Touch This!!

#32 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 10:46 AM

Bindi and her dad had just done a father/daughter spread for Marie Claire magazine. She said she loved her dad very much and added "He's funny, he's entertaining, and he's always there when I need him the most." :( :(

Steve loved doing the spread so much he asked for every single picture they took of them.

They offered his family a state funeral and they said no because, as his dad said, "Steve was just an ordinary guy."

You don't find many celebrities who still act like regular people. And he was so full of life and good humor and sheer exuberance that you couldn't help liking him.

Contributions in his name for conversation are supposed to be made to Contributions to his conservation work are supposed to be made to:

wildlifewarriors.org.au

Edited: They sort of got the web site back up today (Thursday).

Edited by Rhea, 07 September 2006 - 04:15 PM.

- Robert A. Heinlein

#33 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 11:06 AM

^^^Suri?

Rhea, I think you must have been listening to the news this morning too....

Bindi...but I am so glad that she has such positive things to remember about her dad.  I hope her mom encourages her to write a memory book about personal memories to share with Bob when he gets older.

It sounds like from what I've heard about Bindi that she may very well follow in her dad's footsteps.

Steve's dad on tv saying that about not wanting a state funeral....I was impressed by that and have to say that he did just seem lke a normal albeit adventurous guy.

Even when I'd watch him on tv and the chat shows while I was cringing at his antics.  (I'm terrified of snakes, can't even watch them on tv) I still liked him due to his very personable nature.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#34 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 11:08 AM

View Posttrikay, on Sep 6 2006, 09:06 AM, said:

^^^Suri?

Rhea, I think you must have been listening to the news this morning too....

AAAAAAH! I can't believe I did that, since I am SO NOT interested in any doings of the Cruise family. :barf:

I liked Steve Irwin because it's rare you see someone live their lives in front of a camera (not acting) and you can just see the love for the work, for Terri, for his kids shine through.

Edited by Rhea, 06 September 2006 - 11:09 AM.

- Robert A. Heinlein

#35 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 02:04 PM

Mark: All the footage of Steve and his family interacting is the one consolation the kids have. I'm sure there are many children who lose their Dad who would love to have all those memories caught on professional video.
That may be the only way the youngest of his children is able to remember her Dad. I do feel so sorry for Bindi, however. She was such a Daddy's girl, and I could tell she loved her father soooo much.
Although I'm certain this is devastating to Terri right now, I have a feeling she'll bounce back, and continue her and Steve's work in wildlife conservation (at least I hope she will).
:unsure: ...Although I'm not sure what will happen to the Australia Zoo...(soon to be named the Steve Irwin  Zoo, or just plain Irwin Zoo, I'll bet ;)).
Mark
Discussion is an exchange of knowledge: argument is an exchange of ignorance.
Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it.
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#36 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 03:02 PM

well she's the major partner in the zoo now, and it's a legacy for the kids, so ....... sure she'll continue it and grow it ... prolly keep the name since they chose that together, it's one o the things they did together, special in that way.
We might see unofficial things, like Steve Irwin's Australia Zoo or something, but the official name will prolly stay: it's their legacy for everyone. Bindi may grow up to be the director general and prime presenter.
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#37 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 10:56 AM

Bumping because this thread is more appropriate than the one argiung over Germaine Greer's nasty, petty remarks.

There's some pretty cool footage of hundreds of surfers doing a tribute to Steve out in west Australia (in the water, natch).

Edited by Rhea, 11 September 2006 - 01:08 PM.

- Robert A. Heinlein

#38 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 01:09 PM

Steve's funeral was private, at the zoo, and his dad said they did Steve's favorite thing, sit around a campfire telling yarns.
- Robert A. Heinlein

#39 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 01:26 PM

View PostRhea, on Sep 11 2006, 08:56 AM, said:

Bumping because this thread is more appropriate than the one argiung over Germaine Greer's nasty, petty remarks.

I can totally agree to that.

RIP Steve Irwin.  One of the nicest and coolest blokes ever to walk the earth.  You will be sorely missed. :(
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#40 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 02:48 PM

At first they said the footage they were recording was somehow "for Bindi" and I wondered exactly what that meant. Now I've found out that it was for a children's show that Bindi was hosting!

That's probably a setup for a blaming-herself syndrome...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Obituaries, Crocodile Hunter, 2006

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users