Media TV Crocodile Hunter Death Exploitative Documentaries

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#61 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 08:49 PM

I'm with Mark. I think her remarks were ill-timed and completely inappropriate. What a jackass.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#62 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 10:17 PM

View PostMark, on Sep 10 2006, 06:25 PM, said:

View PostNonny, on Sep 10 2006, 10:26 AM, said:

View PostMark, on Sep 7 2006, 05:21 PM, said:

View PostNonny, on Sep 6 2006, 06:24 PM, said:

View PostWhite Tiger, on Sep 6 2006, 03:40 PM, said:

...kinda weird why people give her any heed what so ever.
She is a goddess to any woman who has ever been humiliated in public over her menstrual period.  Her putdown of another guest on a talk show some years ago is legendary.  

Nonny

Mark:  Any woman who is mentally stable, mature, and self-confident could not be humiliated in public over a natural funtion of her body.
"Any woman who is mentally stable"  Sure hope this isn't a dig at the mentally disabled.  

mature  I was twelve.  

"and self-confident"  Kinda hard to achieve that in complete ignorance of your bodily functions.  

View PostMark, on Sep 8 2006, 08:48 PM, said:

View Postszhismine, on Sep 8 2006, 10:36 PM, said:

mark, perhaps if you were a woman you would understand better... :whistle:

Mark: I can understand about a bit of embarrassment while purchasing personal items. For instance I have been embarrassed while purchasing condoms on occassion.
I bet you weren't twelve.  

However for a woman to become humiliated by someone about her menstrual cycle...that seems to reflect that someone is warped...either the woman being humiliated or the person doing the humiliation. I'd lean towards the later assumption, however.
Warped?  You betcha!  The pope, the priests, the nuns, all warped, all dedicated to keeping us ignorant for the greater glory of their deity and their collection plate.  

You're right...I guess I'd have to be a woman to understand. Although I do want to understand, don't expect a sex change operation anytime soon.  :unsure:
Even if you were to take that step, you would still not experience menstruation as a child with no clue.  

However, I'm talking about more than buying sanitary napkins.  I'm talking about a supervisor sniffing the air and declaring that the technician he never speaks to directly so as to make sure she knows she is not welcome in his lab is having her period and keeps on ranting about women and his disgust.  I'm talking about a nun taking advantage of a day the boys spent with father to scream at the girls about spiritual inferiority (check out Eunuchs for the Kingdom of Heaven to find out what that was all about).  I'm talking about men of power and influence demanding the deaths of women whose lives could be saved by ending fatal pregnancies, and calling the saving of those lives sin.  

Nonny

Mark: Nonny, I don't appreciate you turning my words around and making them personal, and suddenly about you.  :dontgetit:
One of the greatest women of the last century is turning into a bitter, disappointed figure of fun, and my grief is too great to care what you or anybody else thinks of me.  

No matter how big of a hero Greer was/is to you or anybody else, that doesn't excuse the fact that she made low class, ill-timed, out of place statements about Steve Irwin, while his family and fans were still grieving.
She was way out of line. I don't have to be a girl going through mentruation to understand that, or the kind of "up-in-yo-face" person Greer seems to be.
It does for me, and it's apparent you do.  

I'm not certain how or why you took my words personally, but I thought we were trying to discuss the way Greer put some guest down on a talk show years ago (I presumed she was doing so because somebody was "humiliating" someone or group on that show). I never intended, or wanted my part of this discussion to get personal.
Actually, though it is the reason that I will always admire her, no matter what, I just tossed it in to see if anybody would ask me to explain.  Nobody did, so I didn't.  It hardly made a dent in the discussion.  

Unless we can get back on the topic of Germaine Greer's ill-timed opinion about Steve in this thread, my part here is over. It's sounds like Greer made her statement only thinking of herself, and the publicity she'd get out of it. Negative publicity is still publicity...just ask Dennis Rodman, Madonna, or Terrell Owens. Many famous people have used negativity to their advantage when given an opportunity...but that doesn't make it right, especially when they're takin' pot-shots at someone who died a tragic and untimely death.
How about Bush and the Iraqi dead, ours and theirs?  No action or word of Greer's caused Irwin's death, but her words, ripped out of context and inflated well beyond what she actually said, are some kind of mad rallying cry to hate her all over again.  

Do you even know why she was sought out for a statement in the matter?  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#63 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 05:50 AM

View PostNonny, on Sep 10 2006, 09:17 PM, said:

No action or word of Greer's caused Irwin's death, but her words, ripped out of context and inflated well beyond what she actually said, are some kind of mad rallying cry to hate her all over again.  

Nonny

This got me to thinking and doing more research....

Germaine Greer's words were taken out of context but reading the actual article
that they were taken from....not an interview but rather an op-ed piece of sorts...does not take much of the sting out of those words that were quoted.

My guess is that she was sought out for a statement because she is well known for being critical of  Australia as well as some of her own conservation views.  

I'm just surprised now that no one else here seems to have sought out the original article that these words appeared in (including myself)...but as I said not much of their effect is changed by actually seeing it within the context she wrote it.

edited to fix link

Edited by trikay, 11 September 2006 - 07:02 AM.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#64 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 09:46 AM

View Posttrikay, on Sep 11 2006, 03:50 AM, said:

My guess is that she was sought out for a statement because she is well known for being critical of  Australia as well as some of her own conservation views.  
Yes, but why?  

Nonny
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#65 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 10:24 AM

View PostNonny, on Sep 11 2006, 08:46 AM, said:

View Posttrikay, on Sep 11 2006, 03:50 AM, said:

Yes, but why?  

Nonny

Not sure what you are wanting me to say here...

We can all have our personal theories as to why but we do not know for sure....

Perhaps because thye knew she could be counted on to give a controversial quote?  

But just because someone invites you to say something for that reason or whatever does not mean that you have to do exactly what they expected....

Or to continue on and make the world even more angry at you by calling all who do not share your opinion 'idiots'

My personal experience has always been that all rational discussion or willingness to listen goes out the window when one insults those of a differing opinion's intelligence

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#66 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 10:55 AM

Why the hell does it matter why? I am angry that the thread about his death, which should have been uppermost in this forum, has been superseded by this thread about a bitter, angry woman making un-called-for and unappropriate remarks.

I don't give a rat's ass why she said what she did. This thread should have died a page ago and it just keeps on, while the thread about his death and condolences, which is more appropriate, is buried.

Can we let this go? Why she said it is irrelevant. She said it, and it was both inappropriate and spiteful from a woman who should have learned better in her life but is apparently going senile.

If you have something more to say, Nonny, quit beating around the damn bush and say it so we can move on. I fore one am tired of the guessing games and just glad that nobody from his family will ever see this nasty thread.

Edited by Rhea, 11 September 2006 - 10:56 AM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#67 szhismine

szhismine

why must you hurt me in this way Harry...

• Islander
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 12:18 PM

{{rhea}}
Neville: "My grandmother forbids me from using raunchy language."
Harry: "Well your grandmother is a Blast-Ended Skank!"
Neville: *GASP*
Hermione: "He doesn't mean it Neville, he's just testing out some wizard swears."
Harry: "I mean every word I ever say ever, because I'm Harry Potter." --'Wizard Swears', Potter Puppet Pals

Hermione: "What's your problem Harry?"
Harry: "My parents are dead, my life sucks, I can't hold down a girlfriend, and I'm surrounded by f*ck*ng goblins and sh*t all the time. I mean what the f*ck?"
Ron: "But it's magic Harry. The goblins are magical!" --'Wizard Angst', Potter Puppet Pals

Me: "It's just a matter of looking past [McKay's] arrogant exterior to see his warm, fuzzy, probably angst-filled interior."
Hawkeye: "You harperchondriac girls think everyone has an angst filled interior."

"Good gods, you sniff out angst like a police dog sniffs out drugs." --Lyric (to me)

#68 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 12:29 PM

I do have one last thing to say.  However, I have decided not to say it, but instead point out that when Germaine Greer dies, she will not be lauded as one of the great minds of the 20th Century, but instead mocked all over again, and by many of the same folks who are deliberately misreading her acerbic comments, who will jump up and down upon her grave in a bizarre parody of what they imagine she was saying, and who will never see the hypocrisy of their own behavior.  

Nonny
Posted Image

#69 Natasha Bennett

Natasha Bennett
  • Demigod
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 12:34 PM

You know, Nonny, I've read the entire article, and it's still pretty disrespectful, in the end. I really don't like someone ridiculing Steve Irwing so soon after he died, a man who was a personal inspiration to me. It just feels so wrong to ridicule such a kind and enthusiastic soul a week after he died, but maybe that's just me.  :(

#70 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,140 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 03:43 PM

View Postszhismine, on Sep 8 2006, 07:14 PM, said:

well what i mean about nothing natural about hunting is it's not natural for *humans* (i should've clarified there) to go out in the wilderness with a rifle for the sole purpose of killing animals for their fur/tusks. as for hunting animals for meat... unless you actually need to to survive (native american/inuit/african/aboriginal tribes), it's unnecessary.

We didn't have the rifles in the begining, but we had weapons, and hunted. It is more natural for man to hunt then to walk into a store and buy food.

(I don't hunt, I'm just sayin)
Can't Touch This!!

#71 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,140 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 03:51 PM

You're misinformed. It was just that they didn't have the right information on the correct conditions for breeding. That was discovered here in the states, and in China alone, the breeding program there had something like 16 babies this year

I know Ling Ling seemed to kill her first few cubs.

Pandas barley manage to live in the wild. They only eat one thing, and it has little nutritional value. They aren't smart enough to change foods to get better food. Why spend the funds to preserve something like that?

And while we are at it, we have people starving all over the world, we have war all over, we can't take care of our own business, what gives us the right to preserve anything?

I think this calls for a new thread.
Can't Touch This!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Media, TV, Crocodile Hunter, Death, Exploitative Documentaries

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users