• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 11:01 PM

http://news.yahoo.co.../bush_leak_dc_2

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Former Deputy Secretary of State Richard Armitage on Thursday acknowledged being the original source in the leak of a CIA official's identity and expressed regrets and apologies in media interviews.

"It was a terrible error on my part," Armitage told The New York Times. "There wasn't a day when I didn't feel like I had let down the president, the secretary of state, my colleagues, my family and the Wilsons. I value my ability to keep state secrets. This was bad and I really felt badly about this."

Armitage was the first person to discuss the identity of former CIA official  Valerie Plame with reporters after her husband, former Ambassador Joseph Wilson, criticized the Bush administration's  Iraq policy in a New York Times opinion piece.

Knowingly disclosing the identity of a covert CIA agent is against the law, but no officials have been charged with leaking Plame's identity to the news media in 2003.

Former vice presidential aide Lewis "Scooter" Libby has been charged with lying to investigators as they sought to find out who leaked Plame's identity. Armitage is expected to be a witness at his perjury trial, according to a court motion by the defense.

Armitage said he wanted to disclose his role in the leak as soon as he realized he was the main source for a Robert Novak column which named Plame as a CIA intelligence officer, the Times reported.

But he told the newspaper he kept quiet at the request of Patrick Fitzgerald, the prosecutor investigating the leak.

Please, somebody tell me if I'm misunderstanding here, but according to this guy he went to Fitzgerald at the very beginning and told him he was the inadvertent source of the leak???

And if this is true, why the big investigation?

Does anybody else feel like once again some nudge is falling on his sword for Bush? :suspect:

There's this from the New York Times:

For three years, Washington has been periodically consumed with the question of who unmasked a covert C.I.A. agent to the columnist Robert Novak. It has been a huge distraction for the White House, resulted in the unjustified jailing of one reporter, and led to perjury charges against the vice president’s chief of staff. Last week, it was reported that Richard Armitage, then deputy secretary of state, was the first to mention Valerie Wilson to Mr. Novak, and that the federal prosecutor knew this more than two and a half years ago.

The revelation tells us something important. But, unfortunately, it is not the answer to the central question in the investigation — whether there was an organized attempt by the White House to use Mrs. Wilson to discredit or punish her husband, Joseph Wilson. A former diplomat, Mr. Wilson debunked the claim that Saddam Hussein tried to buy uranium from Niger to make nuclear weapons.

Mr. Armitage, a White House outsider, would be an odd participant in such a plot. He is said to have learned from a State Department memo that Mrs. Wilson had recommended sending her husband to check the Niger story since he had worked there as a diplomat. The memo was prepared for Mr. Cheney, who was eager to prove that there was an Iraqi nuclear weapons program and to silence critics.

It’s conceivable that Patrick Fitzgerald, the federal prosecutor, has evidence that suggests the information in the memo was used in some illegal manner. Or his investigators may have learned something troubling about the second, unknown, source cited in Mr. Novak’s column, or about some other illegal activity. But whatever it is needs to be made public. The Armitage story is mainly a reminder that this investigation has gone on too long.

While this page opposed calls for reviving the special prosecutor law for this case, we did say that someone outside the White House orbit should be in charge, rather than Attorney General John Ashcroft. Like most others, we saw Mr. Fitzgerald as a good choice. Now we fear he has succumbed to the prosecutor’s foot-dragging disease. He kept the case open after I. Lewis Libby, Mr. Cheney’s chief of staff, was indicted. At the time he hinted that he would have more to say on the original crime he was investigating. That was last October.

It’s time for Mr. Fitzgerald to provide answers or admit that this investigation has run its course. Otherwise, he risks being lumped in with the special prosecutor who spent a decade investigating the former Clinton cabinet member Henry Cisneros, and wound up with nothing more than his conviction that he had yet to get to the bottom of things.

The part I bolded may be the answer to my question - if Fitzgerald knew all along this guy was the primary source of the leak, why the circus? Unless, of course, he knows something we don't about the other source.

Edited by Rhea, 07 September 2006 - 11:08 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#2 scherzo

scherzo

I know things

• Islander
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 03:13 AM

Does anybody else feel like once again some nudge is falling on his sword for Bush?
uhhh...nope. :mellow:

-scherzo
"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so."    -Ronald Reagan, October 27 1964
Posted Image

#3 Ilyanna

Ilyanna
  • Islander
  • 305 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 05:19 AM

Can someone explain to me please why Richard Armitage hasn't been charged for disclosing V. Plame's identity? Or is it too soon for that?
I am not criticising, mind you, just asking; I am not familiar with the way this is usually handled... :)
On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero
C. Palahniuk

#4 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 10:51 AM

Rhea you know I think it.

If they don't charge this guy then it's because ignorance is an excuse.  But it ain't for us lowly Jane's and Joe's.  

And again the number one thing that is truly bothersome about this case is that hardly anyone is saying "Gee the Security of this Country was really put at risk with this." :glare:  :whistle:
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#5 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 01:17 PM

View PostIlyanna, on Sep 8 2006, 03:19 AM, said:

Can someone explain to me please why Richard Armitage hasn't been charged for disclosing V. Plame's identity? Or is it too soon for that?
I am not criticising, mind you, just asking; I am not familiar with the way this is usually handled... :)

Because he's such a good guy and he went to Fitzgerald at the beginning and confessed that he had been the "inadvertent" leak and blah blah blah.

There's a huge gap in logic in all of this, and I believe there's info that hasn't been released to the public yet. Fitzgerald needs to get off the stick - God knows he's wasted enough taxpayer money already.

Edited by Rhea, 08 September 2006 - 01:18 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#6 Ilyanna

Ilyanna
  • Islander
  • 305 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 02:23 PM

Ah, so it's the same procedure as always and everywhere... all people are equal, but some people are more equal than the others?
On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero
C. Palahniuk

#7 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 02:44 PM

The way it looks to me is that they have such a flustercluck going on in that administration that it was a case of "which one is he talking about"?   Like if you walk into a den of thieves and say, "Okay, who stole the money?" they're all gonna go "Umm... first let's be sure which money he's talking about."  We got all this run-around 'cuz there are so many guilty people they've been trying to figure out who's supposed to be the guiltiest.  These guys play such a dirty political game that they're all soaked with mud anyway.

It's already been admitted that both Libby and Rove did some leaking... they're just not sure who leaked it first.  Now it looks like that was Armitage.  Big effin' deal.  All that means is that we should find a strong enough yardarm to hold his weight in addition to Rove, Libby, Novak, and whoever else was involved in the treason.

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#8 scherzo

scherzo

I know things

• Islander
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 04:23 PM

:blink: OOOOkeyyyy...this Washington Post editorial read like an obituary for the anti-right's ongoing PlameGate fantasy, but I guess the legend will live forever...  
http://www.washingto...3101460_pf.html

Nevertheless, it now appears that the person most responsible for the end of Ms. Plame's CIA career is Mr. Wilson. Mr. Wilson chose to go public with an explosive charge, claiming falsely, as it turned out that he had debunked reports of Iraqi uranium-shopping in Niger and that his report had circulated to senior administration officials. He ought to have expected that both those officials and journalists such as Mr. Novak would ask why a retired ambassador would have been sent on such a mission and that the answer would point to his wife. He diverted responsibility from himself and his false charges by claiming that President Bush's closest aides had engaged in an illegal conspiracy. It's unfortunate that so many people took him seriously.
Seems at least a few political columnists are seeing the Left's fashionable new conspiracy bent for exactly what it is....embarrassing. Here's David Broder:
http://www.washingto...0601648_pf.html

In fact, the prosecutor concluded that there was no crime; hence, no indictment. And we now know that the original "leak," in casual conversations with reporters Novak and Bob Woodward, came not from the conspiracy theorists' target in the White House but from the deputy secretary of state at the time, Richard Armitage, an esteemed member of the Washington establishment and no pal of Rove or President Bush.

Blumenthal's example is far from unique. Newsweek, in a July 25, 2005, cover story on Rove, after dutifully noting that Rove's lawyer said the prosecutor had told him that Rove was not a target of the investigation, added: "But this isn't just about the Facts, it's about what Rove's foes regard as a higher Truth: That he is a one-man epicenter of a narrative of Evil."

And in the American Prospect's cover story for August 2005, Joe Conason wrote that Rove "is a powerful bully. Fear of retribution has stifled those who might have revealed his secrets. He has enjoyed the impunity of a malefactor who could always claim, however implausibly, deniability -- until now."

These and other publications owe Karl Rove an apology. And all of journalism needs to relearn the lesson: Can the conspiracy theories and stick to the facts.
-scherzo
"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so."    -Ronald Reagan, October 27 1964
Posted Image

#9 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 06:09 PM

There is nothing about this that is conspiracy theory dreams.

It is there.  Our security was in danger, in fact with this admin we are in danger constantly because yea we've got the whole den of thieves running this country.
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Plame Case, Richard Armitage, Original leak, 2006

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users