85 replies to this topic

#1 Gabrielles Army

Gabrielles Army
  • Islander
  • 116 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 07:52 PM

Sen. Clinton seeks $1.9B for 9/11's sick

By DEVLIN BARRETT, Associated Press Writer 1 hour, 2 minutes ago

NEW YORK - Thousands of sick ground zero workers need nearly $2 billion in long-term treatment for ongoing health woes, Sen.
Hillary Rodham Clinton said Wednesday in the U.S. Senate as she offered legislation creating a long-term medical program.

Clinton, D-N.Y., brought an amendment to a ports security bill seeking to create a five-year, $1.9 billion treatment program for those still suffering the after-effects of the toxic dust, debris and fumes they endured at ground zero after the 2001 terror attacks.

"If we don't take care of these people now and start putting up a system that we can have in place for the next several years, we are going to betray a fundamental responsibility to those who we salute whenever it is convenient, whenever it is political," said Clinton, speaking on the Senate floor two days after the fifth anniversary of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

"Enough with that. They don't want our speeches. They don't want our flowery rhetoric. They want our help," said Clinton.

The senator offered the amendment on the heels of a major new study that found almost 70 percent of those who worked at ground zero suffered some type of lung ailment during or after the event.

The findings propelled a growing public outcry for the government to treat the sick workers, and Clinton's measure would vastly multiply federal spending to date for Sept. 11-related health programs.

She estimated sick workers would need about $5,800 each a year in health care.

http://news.yahoo.co.../attacks_health

Yep I`m sure Bush could afford a couple measly billion from those hundreds of billions being spent over in Iraq.

Edited to ccomply with guidelines

Edited by Shalamar, 17 September 2006 - 10:52 AM.

#2 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 08:24 PM

I don't trust Hilary.  She's doing her best to take away Constitutional rights of the American people, and has personal agenda's I don't agree with at all.  She has money, and so do all the other Senators.  Let them give a $1.98, no, make that $1,980,000.  That's chump change to them still.
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#3 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 08:26 PM

Given that the government refuses to acknowledge the existence of Gulf War Syndrome from the first Gulf War....or rather that a recent study refuses to acknowledge such a thing......

I wonder how hard it is going to be for this to pass....

They deserve it as they were only trying to help others.  As to it not going to those first responders in Washington DC or Shanksville..... there were different factors involved there.  Not as much dust or asbestos etc in those other situations.  (I guess)

I suppose that some provision could be made tho for the DC and Shanksville cases if any.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#4 Gabrielles Army

Gabrielles Army
  • Islander
  • 116 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 08:38 PM

View PostSpidey, on Sep 13 2006, 06:24 PM, said:

I don't trust Hilary.  She's doing her best to take away Constitutional rights of the American people, and has personal agenda's I don't agree with at all.

Uh???? How exactly is Hilary doing all that?  I though Republicans controlled the house the senate and the white house at the moment.

She has money, and so do all the other Senators.  Let them give a $1.98, no, make that $1,980,000.  That's chump change to them still.

So you think that the hero`s of 9/11 who have become sick through no fault of their own
while doing their jobs don`t deserve a liitle compensation from your federal government that is currently spending 100 times more that what they are asking for, over in Iraq.

Edited by Gabrielles Army, 13 September 2006 - 08:39 PM.

#5 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 08:52 PM

View PostSpidey, on Sep 13 2006, 09:24 PM, said:

I don't trust Hilary.  She's doing her best to take away Constitutional rights of the American people, and has personal agenda's I don't agree with at all.

What agenda would this be, then?  And, for that matter, what Constitutional rights is she looking to take away?

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#6 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 09:02 PM

I don't trust Hilary. She's doing her best to take away Constitutional rights of the American people, and has personal agenda's I don't agree with at all. She has money, and so do all the other Senators. Let them give a $1.98, no, make that $1,980,000. That's chump change to them still.

I'm not a fan of Hillary either but what exactly has one democratic Senator done to take away your Constitutional rights? Seems to me the Republicans are doing a fine job of that without any help from the other side of the aisle...Taking our freedoms to protect all that we hold dear and makes America great, or some such schznit. Apparently someone needed to fill them in on the fact that those things we "hold dear" and what made "America great" are the very freedoms they've been wittling away at since taking power.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 09:15 PM

I'm not a big Hilary fan either, but the facts bear her out. There are too many sick and dying ground zero workers who need taking care of, and not all are from the state of New York. Something needs to be done, and fast, and I can think of 2 things right off the top of my head: 1) their medical expenses need to be covered and 2) when they die because they were lied by their own government as to whether ground zero was safe or not, they need to be considered as having fallen in the line of duty.

What have we sunk to if we don't take care of the people who bail us out when there's a catastrophe? You don't have to "like" Hilary Clinton to support this.

Edited by Rhea, 13 September 2006 - 09:17 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#8 standish

standish
  • Islander
  • 72 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 01:28 AM

Well...  Senator Clinton's proposal sure sounds good on the surface.  But, I would like to know what compensation the sick and injured are getting from their current health plans.  Unfortunately, neither the article, nor Senator Clinton, offered that information.  How do we know they're not being adequately compensated right now?  Maybe their needs are already covered.  If they're not, then absolutely, Congress should step up (although I might prefer soliciting private donations).  But, if they are, then this could be just another example of political posturing.

Start asking the proper questions and make the senator and Congress justify their actions whichever way they decide.

#9 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 01:48 AM

View PostGabrielles Army, on Sep 13 2006, 06:38 PM, said:

Uh???? How exactly is Hilary doing all that?  I though Republicans controlled the house the senate and the white house at the moment.

Uh, check out her activity with Mayor Bloomberg, and her activity in NY.  Not good.

She has money, and so do all the other Senators.  Let them give a $1.98, no, make that $1,980,000.  That's chump change to them still.

So you think that the hero`s of 9/11 who have become sick through no fault of their own
while doing their jobs don`t deserve a liitle compensation from your federal government that is currently spending 100 times more that what they are asking for, over in Iraq.

Now, what I said has nothing to do with those hero's.  Never said it did.  What I am saying is she is using this as a ploy to boost her political prominance.  She's not doing it out of concern for those who have become ill because of that attack and horrible event.

This is your federal government too, BTW.  Your not reading my post right...again.  However, despite that, I agree that the government is spending VAST amounts of money on the WRONG things, and has been doing so for years now.  Instead of getting into a war that can't be won in Iraq, money should have been spent helping OUR victims, actually securing OUR borders, helping out New Orleans, and so forth.  I am displeased with the Duh-bya' administration to say the least.
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#10 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 03:40 AM

View PostSpidey, on Sep 13 2006, 11:48 PM, said:

Uh, check out her activity with Mayor Bloomberg, and her activity in NY.  Not good.

Now, what I said has nothing to do with those hero's.  Never said it did.  What I am saying is she is using this as a ploy to boost her political prominance.  She's not doing it out of concern for those who have become ill because of that attack and horrible event.

This is your federal government too, BTW.  Your not reading my post right...again.  However, despite that, I agree that the government is spending VAST amounts of money on the WRONG things, and has been doing so for years now.  Instead of getting into a war that can't be won in Iraq, money should have been spent helping OUR victims, actually securing OUR borders, helping out New Orleans, and so forth.  I am displeased with the Duh-bya' administration to say the least.

You need to get off Clinton as the EEEVUL LIBERAL who can't do anything right and concentrate on what she's trying to do, which if I remember my reading correctly she was asked to do by both the city and state of New York. Those workers need to be taken care of, and letting your distaste for Hilary get in the way of something good for the workers is a kneejerk reaction, IMO.

Personally, if we have to go point by point I'd argue it's your conservative Congress who's given away our rights without so much as a squeak while spending like drunken sailors. Hilary's part of the minority, and they've been pretty much hamstrung the last 6 years.

Edited by Rhea, 14 September 2006 - 03:41 AM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#11 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 08:38 AM

View PostRhea, on Sep 14 2006, 08:40 AM, said:

You need to get off Clinton as the EEEVUL LIBERAL who can't do anything right and concentrate on what she's trying to do, which if I remember my reading correctly she was asked to do by both the city and state of New York. Those workers need to be taken care of, and letting your distaste for Hilary get in the way of something good for the workers is a kneejerk reaction, IMO.

Personally, if we have to go point by point I'd argue it's your conservative Congress who's given away our rights without so much as a squeak while spending like drunken sailors. Hilary's part of the minority, and they've been pretty much hamstrung the last 6 years.

Ding!

I'm not Hillary's biggest fan myself but I don't see anything wrong wth trying to help these people who did so much to help others. And if she is doing this to raise some publicity for herself? SO WHAT! That is her job after all, she is a politician.

We all have these childlike desires for a true stateman, or stateswoman who is only there to serve us and not a corrupt politican who only wants money and power. But that is all it is, a childlike desire. Guess what? Not going to happen anytime soon. So you hold you nose and vote for the man or woman who is going to screw you over LESS.

(And lately you have to worry if your vote will actualy be counted right but that is a whole seperate thread in itself....)

enTranced
Posted Image

#12 Tricia

Tricia

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 09:12 AM

View PostRhea, on Sep 14 2006, 02:40 AM, said:

I think you remember right, Rhea, as I also remember reading that also.  

And duh, she's the Senator for New York so she is only serving the people who elected her.  If they asked her to do this and she ignored it... then people would be yelling about how she was not serving the people she represents.  :rolleyes:

Besides she's not the only one introducing legislation about this issue of health care for the first responders----

Lawmaker introduces billto aid sick 9/11 first responders, residents....and his name is not Hillary :rolleyes:

On the heels of the release of a new study on the health problems of rescue and recovery workers at the World Trade Center site, a local Congressman proposed new legislation Thursday that is aimed at helping them, as well as those who lived and worked in Lower Manhattan.

Under the 9/11 Comprehensive Health Benefits Act, anyone with related illnesses would get health benefits under Medicare. It would also put together a consortium to monitor and do research on the illnesses, as well as create a federally funded medical center to focus on them.

Congressman Jerrold Nadler who represents Lower Manhattan introduced the bill. He says the federal government is to blame for telling people the air was safe downtown shortly after the attacks.

"We may have more people die because of the government's improper decision than on the direct attacks of the World Trade Center," said Nadler. "It remains to be seen who caused more casualties: Osama Bin Laden or the Environmental Protection [Agency]. And we won't know that for another 30 or 40 years."

So I suppose the same things said here about Hillary must be said about him....or is it different because he's a man and not Hillary? After all, what's good for the goose is good for the gander.   :rolleyes:

and here's something from the same article about the issue of being asked for help by NY ...granted he does not say he asked anyone specifically but....

Meanwhile, Governor George Pataki wants the federal government to step up. Speaking with NY1's Rebecca Spitz, the governor says Washington should do more to help first responders and Lower Manhattan residents.

"It seems to me that the federal government, which has helped us so much with the recovery in Lower Manhattan, also has an obligation here because these were heroes responding to help New York get through the aftermath of September 11th, but they also helped America get through the aftermath of September 11th," said Pataki.

Last month, Pataki signed a law that provides improved health benefits for those who got sick after working at the site.

In addition I read that there are also lawsuits filed on behalf of individuals who became ill after 9/11...first responders and citizens alike who were told it was safe to work and live there....

Don't you think it would be cheaper to have a healthcare plan/fund to defray some of that cost?

Edited by trikay, 14 September 2006 - 09:14 AM.

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#13 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 09:14 AM

View PostSpidey, on Sep 14 2006, 02:48 AM, said:

You made the claim, Spidey.  Now the onus is on you to post proof or retract.  That's how it works.

To what "actvity with Mayor Bloomberg" do you refer?  And what "activity in NY," where's she so popular, considered so unbeatable, that the Republicans have been unable to mount serious opposition.  

Why?  Because she's worked her butt off, and the people of the state (including the huge, and overwhelmingly conservative/republican upstate regions) have recognized it.

Edited by ScottEVill, 14 September 2006 - 09:14 AM.

#14 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 10:09 AM

I think that these first responders who went to the rubble risked so much for the wounded that even those in this tough spot of trouble, where their new illness has some indicator the gov use to keep from aid, like the guy with colon cancer who's fam has a colon cancer history, even though he just got his after that rubble responding ... the gov should give aid, maybe not lifetime disability but maybe for ten years or more, or at least the medical costs, something ... honour those who risked. Just think of the fam financially devastated by the financials when their parent went in there to help strangers in need.
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#15 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 11:19 AM

why *not* lifetime disability?  if they don't deserve it, it's hard to imagine who WOULD.

#16 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 11:29 AM

One of the big issues is that there's a limitation on Workers' Comp, depending on the state. That means that workers disabled by Ground Zero work in some cases got kicked off Workers Comp after five years.

The Governor of New York signed a law that extends the Workers Comp for them and, if they die, treats them as though they died in the line of duty, but why should the City and State of New York bear the whole burden of a national calamity?
- Robert A. Heinlein

#17 Tricia

Tricia

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 11:50 AM

^^

Exactly Rhea.....

especially since the EPA...a federal agency told them it was safe

#18 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 12:21 PM

View PostRhea, on Sep 13 2006, 07:15 PM, said:

I'm not a big Hilary fan either, but the facts bear her out. There are too many sick and dying ground zero workers who need taking care of, and not all are from the state of New York. Something needs to be done, and fast, and I can think of 2 things right off the top of my head: 1) their medical expenses need to be covered and 2) when they die because they were lied by their own government as to whether ground zero was safe or not, they need to be considered as having fallen in the line of duty.

What have we sunk to if we don't take care of the people who bail us out when there's a catastrophe? You don't have to "like" Hilary Clinton to support this.
I couldn't have said it better myself.  

View PostScottEVill, on Sep 14 2006, 09:19 AM, said:

why *not* lifetime disability?  if they don't deserve it, it's hard to imagine who WOULD.
I would certainly welcome them to the ranks of the p&t, and gladly.  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#19 Gabrielles Army

Gabrielles Army
  • Islander
  • 116 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 12:49 PM

View Poststandish, on Sep 13 2006, 11:28 PM, said:

Well...  Senator Clinton's proposal sure sounds good on the surface.  But, I would like to know what compensation the sick and injured are getting from their current health plans.  Unfortunately, neither the article, nor Senator Clinton, offered that information.  How do we know they're not being adequately compensated right now?  Maybe their needs are already covered.  If they're not, then absolutely, Congress should step up (although I might prefer soliciting private donations).  But, if they are, then this could be just another example of political posturing.

Start asking the proper questions and make the senator and Congress justify their actions whichever way they decide.

A cop dies & kin
blame 9/11 debris

By ROBERT F. MOORE
DAILY NEWS POLICE BUREAU

Retired NYPD detective James Zadroga - who leaves behind a young daughter, Tylerann - wrote a letter about his work at Ground Zero.
A retired NYPD detective, who worked more than 450 hours at Ground Zero, died Thursday from brain and respiratory complications that his family insists were linked to the World Trade Center cleanup.

While autopsy results are pending, union officials maintain James Zadroga's death is the first post-9/11 death of a city officer linked to hazardous material from Ground Zero.

"Our detective is a hero," said Mike Palladino, president of the Detectives' Endowment Association. "He had a disregard for his own health and life and tried to save others."

In a chilling letter Zadroga wrote about a year after the terror attacks, he described his deteriorating health - including a constant cough and sore throat.

"No one cares at the job," he wrote. "They tell me I'm fine, go back to work. But, truthfully, I haven't felt this bad in my life.... And what thanks do I get now that I'm sick?"

NYPD officials said Zadroga, 34, was given a tax-free disability pension of three-quarters pay in 2004. His pension was the result of a pulmonary disease related to 9/11, a police official said.

After leaving the NYPD, Zadroga was responsible for his own medical bills.

http://www.nydailyne...9p-323303c.html

Well if this cops situation is any example then clearly they are not recieving enough help.

edited to comply with guidelines

Edited by Shalamar, 17 September 2006 - 10:53 AM.

#20 Gabrielles Army

Gabrielles Army
  • Islander
  • 116 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 12:58 PM

Since your the one accusing Hilary of trying to take away your Constitutional rights please provide some examples that prove she has done this.  And again since it is republicans who currently hold all the power why are your not concerned with what they are doing to your constitutional rights?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Senate, Senator Clinton, 2006, 9/11 sick

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users