• This topic is locked This topic is locked
193 replies to this topic

#21 Brit

Brit

Born too Soon

• Islander
  • 3,107 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 05:39 PM

Wouldn't we even have clockwork clocks?  The old fashioned wind up type?  Or a water clock.  I'm not nitpicking just curious.
If I could remember any good quotes I would put one here!!!

#22 Ishmael Autolycus

Ishmael Autolycus

A wanderer, and a picker-up of unregarded trifles.

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 06:18 PM

I've got to agree with Brit, if we've got enough technical know-how still around to keep using motorized vehicles and automatic pistols, then mechanical and/or pendulum clocks at least are not too much of a stretch.

Which is not to say that everyone would have their own personal clock, more likely any clock would be a "town clock", such as Big Ben in London or something similair.

ETA That is to say rare, but no unheard of.

Edited by Ishmael Autolycus, 15 October 2006 - 06:20 PM.

And let us, ciphers to this great accompt,
On your imaginary forces work.

-Wm. Shakespeare Henry V Prologue

Now, was it just the eggs? Or was the ham green as well?

#23 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 08:11 PM

"We" could have clocks, sure...but they'd be just for us and not really accurate as far as any other town or place was concerned, nor have taken into daylights savings times and what not over the past 50 years.  So, feel free to have your own clock that corresponds to the time I post, or there can be one around the settlement. I just used the sundial since that's the only nonmechanical time piece I know of. Time just won't be the same for everyone everywhere else beyond our settlement. I don't know that much about clocks and time pieces, so I'm open to having whatever would be realistic five decades after a nuclear war! :)

What I was thinking was that there wouldn't be any standardized clocks or time keeping in general in the "world" anymore. And everything would have to be 50+ years old, or rebuilt over the years. :)

Edited by Nikki Peppermint, 15 October 2006 - 09:26 PM.

#24 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,747 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 02:55 PM

Sorry I was absent for a couple of days, my daughter is in the hospital and has been since Saturday afternoon. Her BP shot way high and they had trouble getting it to stay down. She's still going through some tests to see what's causing it.

Hopefully she'll get to come home tomorrow. We've been staying at their house since yesterday with Joseph so Gregg can stay at the hospital with her.

#25 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 06:33 PM

{{{{{{{{{{{Chatty and daughter/family}}}}}}}}} Yikes!  :dontgetit: Here's hoping she does get to come home tomorrow with lower blood pressure and feeling better! Positive thoughts for you all. :)

Edited by Nikki Peppermint, 17 October 2006 - 06:33 PM.

#26 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 03:56 PM

I suppose since there's been only a few posts since earlier in the week, I'll hold off moving forward.

Edited by Nikki Peppermint, 19 October 2006 - 04:22 PM.

#27 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,747 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 08:49 PM

View PostNikki Peppermint, on Oct 17 2006, 06:33 PM, said:

{{{{{{{{{{{Chatty and daughter/family}}}}}}}}} Yikes!  :dontgetit: Here's hoping she does get to come home tomorrow with lower blood pressure and feeling better! Positive thoughts for you all. :)
Thanks Nikki :)

She came home yesterday, BP lower and she has to take meds now. She's back at work and I'm back to babysitting.

Now I'm trying to catch up on what I've missed, like my skin ;)

#28 szhismine

szhismine

why must you hurt me in this way Harry...

• Islander
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 08:54 PM

whoh chatty, you're super now!
Neville: "My grandmother forbids me from using raunchy language."
Harry: "Well your grandmother is a Blast-Ended Skank!"
Neville: *GASP*
Hermione: "He doesn't mean it Neville, he's just testing out some wizard swears."
Harry: "I mean every word I ever say ever, because I'm Harry Potter." --'Wizard Swears', Potter Puppet Pals

Hermione: "What's your problem Harry?"
Harry: "My parents are dead, my life sucks, I can't hold down a girlfriend, and I'm surrounded by f*ck*ng goblins and sh*t all the time. I mean what the f*ck?"
Ron: "But it's magic Harry. The goblins are magical!" --'Wizard Angst', Potter Puppet Pals

Me: "It's just a matter of looking past [McKay's] arrogant exterior to see his warm, fuzzy, probably angst-filled interior."
Hawkeye: "You harperchondriac girls think everyone has an angst filled interior."

"Good gods, you sniff out angst like a police dog sniffs out drugs." --Lyric (to me)

#29 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 08:54 PM

Yay on your daughter :D. Very glad to hear that, Chatty.

View PostChatterbox, on Oct 19 2006, 08:49 PM, said:

And yeah, quite the  :blink:, huh?  

#30 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,747 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 09:28 PM

View Postszhismine, on Oct 19 2006, 08:54 PM, said:

whoh chatty, you're super now!
Surprise :whistle:

View PostNikki Peppermint, on Oct 19 2006, 08:54 PM, said:

Yay on your daughter :D. Very glad to hear that, Chatty.

View PostChatterbox, on Oct 19 2006, 08:49 PM, said:

And yeah, quite the  :blink:, huh?  

Yeah, we were glad to see her come home :) especially Joseph :D

Yeah, quite the :blink:

I think that's the reaction I had when I logged in, the light skin is a little hard on my eyes but not enough to keep me away ;)

Edited by Chatterbox, 19 October 2006 - 09:29 PM.

#31 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 05:21 PM

Okay, now I'm shooting for Tuesday night (my time) to move ahead. Ishmael should hopefully be back online by Monday. We'll be moving ahead to the next afternoon about 1:00, so "Ishmael" and "Razor" can arrive back to the settlement. "Konoko" and "Conner" will meet up at that time, too. The rest will be doing what they want to be doing!

Then the party is that evening. Just assume everyone has heard about it by now  :).

#32 Brit

Brit

Born too Soon

• Islander
  • 3,107 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 06:18 PM

I am so sorry but I really don't feel like posting at the moment.  My beautiful dog was killed by a car last night and I am devastated.  I hope I feel like posting tomorrow.

#33 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 07:14 PM

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Brit}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Oh, I'm so sorry!  :o  That's just awful! Your poor baby.  Take whatever time you need, and my heart goes out to you.  

#34 Raeven

Raeven

Having a Mads moment

• Administrator
  • 24,343 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 04:20 AM

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{brit}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} thinking of you :(

It's very complex. If the pizza man truly loves this babysitter, why does he keep slapping her rear? Perhaps she has done something wrong ~ Castiel

#35 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,747 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 12:56 PM

{{{{{{{Brit}}}}}}}}} I totally understand, post when you feel like it, we'll catch up.

#36 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 07:40 PM

If anyone sees something they want to do to help out at the party, just PM me and let me know! :)

#37 szhismine

szhismine

• Islander
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 05:54 PM

{{{{brit}}}}
Hermione: "He doesn't mean it Neville, he's just testing out some wizard swears."
Harry: "I mean every word I ever say ever, because I'm Harry Potter." --'Wizard Swears', Potter Puppet Pals

Harry: "My parents are dead, my life sucks, I can't hold down a girlfriend, and I'm surrounded by f*ck*ng goblins and sh*t all the time. I mean what the f*ck?"
Ron: "But it's magic Harry. The goblins are magical!" --'Wizard Angst', Potter Puppet Pals

Me: "It's just a matter of looking past [McKay's] arrogant exterior to see his warm, fuzzy, probably angst-filled interior."
Hawkeye: "You harperchondriac girls think everyone has an angst filled interior."

"Good gods, you sniff out angst like a police dog sniffs out drugs." --Lyric (to me)

#38 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 07:00 PM

((((((((((((((Brit)))))))))))))))
Rejected and gone.

#39 Ishmael Autolycus

Ishmael Autolycus

A wanderer, and a picker-up of unregarded trifles.

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 09:03 PM

First, Brit, my sympathies on the loss of your companion, belated though they are.

Secondly, Nikki knows I've been having some computer troubles, and it turns out it would cost more than the computer is worth to fix it. So I'm stuck with an old laptop where the keys stick for a while. It only has wireless access, which means I've been hanging out in the local coffeeshops a lot more than usual. (Caffeine! :insanosmile:) I will be going shopping for a new computer, going to the stores, reading Consumer Reports and comparing the various brands and whatnot before finally deciding to buy the red one, like most people.;) In the meantime, I apologize in advance if my postings in the RP are even more irregular than usual.
And let us, ciphers to this great accompt,
On your imaginary forces work.

-Wm. Shakespeare Henry V Prologue

Now, was it just the eggs? Or was the ham green as well?

#40 szhismine

szhismine

• Islander
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 09:39 PM

good luck with the computer search!

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users