#1 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 11:01 AM

http://news.yahoo.co...HNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

They may be hard to enforce.

One interesting comment:

The U.S. ambassador said North Korea's apparent nuclear test "had to have been humiliating to China. After all of the efforts they've made over the years to protect North Korea from international approbation, for the North Koreans in the face of all that to test had to get quite a reaction in Beijing. And I think we're still seeing that play out."

China reiterated it would not conduct any inspections and called for caution.

"China strongly urges the countries concerned to adopt a prudent and responsible attitude in this regard and refrain from taking any provocative steps that may intensify the tensions," China's U.N. Ambassador Wang Guangya said.

The Security Council condemned the nuclear test that North Korea said it conducted Oct. 9. It demanded that North Korea immediately return to six-nation talks aimed at persuading Pyongyang to dismantle its weapons program without precondition.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#2 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 11:22 AM

So basically what the US got was a worthless piece of paper that says what it wants, but has no power, or teeth, whatsoever.

China, despite signing it, has already stated that they aren't going to enforce it. So what was the point of them signing in the first place?

And according to the resolution, the use of force to enforce the sanctions is prohibited. So the N. Korean ship that is leaving, or entering, N korea will be greeted by other nation's ships, and those nations will just be able to yell "Stop! Stop I say!" And when the N. Koreans give us the middle finger, we'll just have to accept it. It's like telling a criminal "the cops won't use force to stop you from committing crimes."

What a waste of time and energy this was.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#3 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 11:28 AM

Yay for diplomacy!

#4 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 12:46 PM

View PostLORD of the SWORD, on Oct 15 2006, 04:22 PM, said:

So basically what the US got was a worthless piece of paper that says what it wants, but has no power, or teeth, whatsoever.

That seems to be about the size of it.

Guess it's time for some of that world famous american unilateral action then eh?

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#5 The Oncoming Storm

The Oncoming Storm

Water's wet; sky's blue; and Satan Clause is out there.

• Islander
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 12:51 PM

Let's just face it, when it comes to such a this, the U.N. is pretty worthless.  In other areas, such as the WHO, it succeeds.  But, in diplomacy, what can the U.N. do when certain involved parties don't want to either play by the agreed rules or not help enforce sanctions.  This is par for the course for the League of Nations.  Ooops! :o   Did I say that?  :sneaky:

Rose: [disgusted] Oh, look at what the cat dragged in: "The Oncoming Storm."

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." -- John Wayne

Sometimes the best causes worth fighting for are lost causes. -- Me.

Formerly Known as "Lost Cause."

#6 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 01:10 PM

View PostGodeskian, on Oct 15 2006, 01:46 PM, said:

That seems to be about the size of it.

Guess it's time for some of that world famous american unilateral action then eh?

It might be, I don't see anything else working, do you? N. Korea has already said that if sanctions are imposed they will consider it an act of war and respond in kind. So it really doesn't look like anything else is going to work...Especially given the fact that China is not going to enforce the sanctions.

Given that, what course of action would you suggest?
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#7 szhismine

szhismine

why must you hurt me in this way Harry...

• Islander
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 01:34 PM

:blink: :rolleyes:
Neville: "My grandmother forbids me from using raunchy language."
Harry: "Well your grandmother is a Blast-Ended Skank!"
Neville: *GASP*
Hermione: "He doesn't mean it Neville, he's just testing out some wizard swears."
Harry: "I mean every word I ever say ever, because I'm Harry Potter." --'Wizard Swears', Potter Puppet Pals

Hermione: "What's your problem Harry?"
Harry: "My parents are dead, my life sucks, I can't hold down a girlfriend, and I'm surrounded by f*ck*ng goblins and sh*t all the time. I mean what the f*ck?"
Ron: "But it's magic Harry. The goblins are magical!" --'Wizard Angst', Potter Puppet Pals

Me: "It's just a matter of looking past [McKay's] arrogant exterior to see his warm, fuzzy, probably angst-filled interior."
Hawkeye: "You harperchondriac girls think everyone has an angst filled interior."

"Good gods, you sniff out angst like a police dog sniffs out drugs." --Lyric (to me)

#8 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 02:26 PM

then why don't we just sit down with China, I believe Rice met with them in Wash but is also going over to Beijing this upcoming week: and tell them, 'alright, you do this, decide what tough moves needs be and you square up IL of NKorea, you handle this ... what are YOU gonna do?' In other words, publicly (that face thing again) make this an Asia issue and China liking to be the Nr One of Asia must step to the fore and be responsible, and Asia balance and security vs. NKorea becomes Nr One thing on China's plate with all Asia and the whole world watching.  :harper: (and then China Sr VP goes over to Soeul and Tokyo and Manila once a month and tells them face to face what they are doing and how they can guarantee or come close to it, security in Asia)
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#9 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 05:00 PM

View PostLORD of the SWORD, on Oct 15 2006, 06:10 PM, said:

It might be, I don't see anything else working, do you?

I don't see any sort of physical attack work either to be honest. Any attack against North Korea either has to be powerfull enough to destroy all it's offensive armaments, including that mass of weapons pointed at South Korea, or the attack will simply prompt them to fire their own weapons.

And I've already explained the problems of launching the kind of attack needed to reduce every piece of NK armament to rubble.

Given that, what course of action would you suggest?

Me? I'd do nothing.

Leaders in the world today need to know and learn how to deal with the fact that more and more nations will become nuclear-capable, rather than spending their efforts trying to prevent it, because it can't be done. Anyone who thinks it can is kidding themselves.

Of course, I'm not in charge of nations. My perspective as an individual is no doubt different from those who have such weighty burdens.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#10 JamesValEson

JamesValEson

Indomitable Cowbell Juggernaut

• Islander
  • 406 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 06:20 PM

Yep, just chalk another one up on the list of things the UN has botched up. Maybe now that they're getting someone new at the toip, things may get going, but I doubt it.

Barry
Barry, aka James ValEson, Captain of the starship USS Wolf 359, NCC-75820.

(Quotes from the dedication plaque for USS Wolf 359)

"This ship was built to honor those lost to the Borg at Wolf 359,
and made to keep it from happening again."
      - James Val Eson, at the launch of starship Wolf 359, NX-75820.

"Risk...Is our Business..."
     - James T. Kirk

And now some silly quotes from Mythbusters:
"I reject your reality, and substitue my own." Adam

"Quack! Damn you!" Jamie

#11 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 06:29 PM

Well I'm glad they closed the barn after the horse has already left.  :sarcasm:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#12 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 10:10 AM

China has changed its mind and is inspecting cargo after all

http://news.yahoo.co...mlsBHNlYwN0bg--

North Korea appeared to slip further into isolation on Monday, as China — under intense pressure to enforce new U.N. sanctions — inspected cargo trucks bound for its communist ally and stepped up construction of a border fence.

:cool:
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#13 Han

Han

When all else fails, use fire.

• Islander
  • 483 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 10:32 AM

Also..

China builds fence

Reporters who visited the border area in the past week saw about 1,600 feet of newly erected barbed wire fence north of Dandong, mainly along river banks and occasionally broken up by mountain areas or military guard posts.

A duck farmer in Hushan, who would only give his surname Han, said that soldiers began putting up the fence near his farm on Oct. 9 — the same day that North Korea claims to have carried out an underground nuclear test.

Also, while China expressed reservations about the cargo inspections, it did not say it wasn't going to allow other countries to do them.  So South Koreans, Japanese, Americans, etc. can check the sea cargo while China will inspect land transportations.
They only cautioned that the inspections should be done in a manner so as not to stoke tensions leading to military confrontation.
Han

#14 The Oncoming Storm

The Oncoming Storm

• Islander
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 06:33 PM

^I think Kim Jong Il would take a sneeze as a military threat.  He doesn't really care what does or doesn't constitute a military threat.  The NK gov't has already stated they see sanctions as an attack against them.  KJI isn't playing by sane, normalized rules of logic; he's off in his own little world when it comes to stuff like this.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." -- John Wayne

#15 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 07:10 PM

^ Only because he's lonely....so lonely....

:look:

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#16 The Oncoming Storm

The Oncoming Storm

• Islander
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 07:19 PM

^Not from what I've heard about these girls in the "Sunshine" Choir (I think it's called) . :whistle:

Edited by Lost Cause, 16 October 2006 - 07:20 PM.

#17 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 07:48 PM

Oh Fearless Leader really does not care what the world says he will do what he pleases as no one can stop him. The Chinese tried with his dad and that got their agents killed.

Till he's vaporized and sadly along with at least a huge part of his people he will not stop what he is doing.

After all Diplomacy works only when both sides actually give something up. Kim has nickle and dimed till he has the bomb and what can you do to make him stop. Use Force? Not the Useless Nations.  They cannot figure out how many mass graves count as a single count of genocide.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#18 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 07:35 AM

View PostGodeskian, on Oct 15 2006, 01:46 PM, said:

Considering Japan is likely to sign onto anything we do to stop North Korea we are hardly being unilateral.  You are talking about the third larges economy in the world there and a major regional power.

If China doesn’t hold up their end of the deal in terms of regulating the land borders than our best recourse is to slap a naval blockade on North Korea.  Hopefully the Chinese will then be smart enough to still refuse to fuel Kim with nuclear components and missiles.  The one area that China has no chance of challenging us is on the sea (they know it too) and we should take advantage of that if it comes down to that point.
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#19 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 07:45 AM

CJ the illegal goods will filter in via China. This mess basiclly came around from Dumbplomacy and never making the terms  "Give us the reactor"
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#20 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 03:58 PM

We aren't going to do anything, we are we already fighting on two fronts, and KJI knows this. Even the USA and some allies couldn't sucsesfully fight on three fronts.
Can't Touch This!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: North Korea, Sanctions, 2006

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users