Craving a little perspective.

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 11:03 AM

This came up on the news again today:

Those Nutty Hispanic Journalists

==============================================================

Hispanic Journalists Urge Sensitivity When Covering Immigration

The National Association of Hispanic Journalists calls for stopping the use of “illegals” and curbing the phrase “illegal alien”, asking for sensitivity in the media when referring to undocumented workers:

Washington, D.C. -- As protesters march in the streets and debate intensifies in Congress over how to fix the nation’s immigration laws, the National Association of Hispanic Journalists calls on our nation’s news media to use accurate terminology in its coverage of immigration and to stop dehumanizing undocumented immigrants.

NAHJ is concerned with the increasing use of pejorative terms to describe the estimated 11 million undocumented people living in the United States. NAHJ is particularly troubled with the growing trend of the news media to use the word “illegals” as a noun, shorthand for "illegal aliens". Using the word in this way is grammatically incorrect and crosses the line by criminalizing the person, not the action they are purported to have committed. NAHJ calls on the media to never use “illegals” in headlines.

Shortening the term in this way also stereotypes undocumented people who are in the United States as having committed a crime. Under current U.S. immigration law, being an undocumented immigrant is not a crime, it is a civil violation. Furthermore, an estimated 40 percent of all undocumented people living in the U.S. are visa overstayers, meaning they did not illegally cross the U.S. border.

In addition, the association has always denounced the use of the degrading terms “alien” and “illegal alien” to describe undocumented immigrants because it casts them as adverse, strange beings, inhuman outsiders who come to the U.S. with questionable motivations. “Aliens” is a bureaucratic term that should be avoided unless used in a quote.

NAHJ, a 2,300-member organization of reporters, editors and other journalists, addresses the use of these words and phrases by the news media in its Resource Guide for Journalists. The following are excerpts for some of the terms prevalent in the current news coverage:

Alien:
A word used by the U.S. government to describe a foreign-born person who is not a citizen by naturalization or parentage. People who enter the United States legally are called resident aliens and they carry alien registration cards also known as "green cards," because they used to be green.

While Webster's first definition of the term "alien" is in accordance with the government's interpretation, the dictionary also includes other, darker, meanings for the word, such as “a non-terrestrial being," "strange," "not belonging to one," "adverse," "hostile." And the Encyclopedia Britannica points out that "in early times, the tendency was to look upon the alien as an enemy and to treat him as a criminal or an outlaw." It is not surprising then that in 1798, in anticipation of a possible war with France, the U.S. Congress passed the Alien and Sedition Acts, which restricted "aliens" and curtailed press freedoms. By 1800 the laws had been repealed or had expired but they still cast a negative shadow over the word.

In modern times, with science-fiction growing in popularity, "alien" has come to mean a creature from outer space, and is considered pejorative by most immigrants.

Illegal alien:
Avoid. Alternative terms are "undocumented worker," or "undocumented immigrant." The pertinent federal agencies use this term for individuals who do not have documents to show they can legally visit, work or live here. Many find the term offensive and dehumanizing because it criminalizes the person rather than the actual act of illegally entering or residing in the United States. The term does not give an accurate description of a person's conditional U.S. status, but rather demeans an individual by describing them as an alien. At the 1994 Unity convention, the four minority journalism groups ń NAHJ, Asian American Journalists Association, Native American Journalists Association and National Association of Black Journalists ń issued the following statement on this term: "Except in direct quotations, do not use the phrase illegal alien or the word alien, in copy or in headlines, to refer to citizens of a foreign country who have come to the U.S. with no documents to show that they are legally entitled to visit, work or live here. Such terms are considered pejorative not only by those to whom they are applied but by many people of the same ethnic and national backgrounds who are in the U.S. legally."

Illegal immigrant:
While many national news outlets use the term "illegal immigrant," this handbook calls for the discussion and re-evaluation of its use. Instead of using illegal immigrant, alternative labels recommended are "undocumented worker" or "undocumented immigrant." Illegal immigrant is a term used to describe the immigration status of people who do not have the federal documentation to show they are legally entitled to work, visit or live here. People who are undocumented according to federal authorities do not have the proper visas to be in the United States legally. Many enter the country illegally, but a large number of this group initially had valid visas, but did not return to their native countries when their visas expired. Some former students fall into the latter category. The term criminalizes the person rather than the actual act of illegally entering or residing in the United States without federal documents. Terms such as illegal alien or illegal immigrant can often be used pejoratively in common parlance and can pack a powerful emotional wallop for those on the receiving end. Instead, use undocumented immigrant or undocumented worker, both of which are terms that convey the same descriptive information without carrying the psychological baggage. Avoid using illegal(s) as a noun.

Illegal:
Avoid. Alternative terms are "undocumented immigrant" or "undocumented worker." This term has been used to describe the immigration status of people who do not have the federal documentation to show they are legally entitled to work, visit or live here. The term criminalizes the person rather than the actual act of illegally entering, residing in the U.S. without documents.

Immigrant:
Similar to reporting about a person's race, mentioning that a person is a first-generation immigrant could be used to provide readers or viewers with background information, but the relevancy of using the term should be made apparent in the story. Also, the status of undocumented workers should be discussed between source, reporter and editors because of the risk of deportation.

Undocumented immigrant:
Preferred term to "illegal immigrant," "illegal(s)" and "illegal alien." This term describes the immigration status of people who do not have the federal documentation to show they are legally entitled to work, visit or live here. Some Latinos say this term more accurately describes people who are in the United States illegally because the word points out that they are undocumented, but does not dehumanize them in the manner that such terms as “aliens” and “illegals” do.

Undocumented worker:
Preferred term to "illegal alien," "illegal immigrant," or "illegal(s)." This term describes the immigration status of people who do not have the federal documentation to show they are legally entitled to work, visit or live here.

This article was originally published by the National Association of Hispanic Journalists
http://www.nahj.org/
==============================================================

I'll tell you what -  they have some set of stones.

Edited by Nittany Lioness, 18 October 2006 - 11:05 AM.

I'm cold Howard.jpg

#2 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 11:06 AM

Mark:  It's strange the tricks the human eye can play on someone. I saw "Fun with mock", and my brain totally turned it into something else. :D

As far as calling the Illegal Aliens something other that what they are...they're outta luck with this American.  :devil:

Edited by Mark, 18 October 2006 - 11:07 AM.

Mark
Discussion is an exchange of knowledge: argument is an exchange of ignorance.
Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it.
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#3 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 11:31 AM

Me too. I thought we made a huge step forward when we stopped calling them "wetbacks." ;)

Besides, when you "overstay" or enter without a visa, you ARE in this country illegally. Whether it's a civil matter or a criminal matter is irrelevant.

Edited by Rhea, 18 October 2006 - 12:21 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#4 veganmom

veganmom
  • Islander
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 12:16 PM

I liked this: "Using the word in this way is grammatically incorrect and crosses the line by criminalizing the person, not the action they are purported to have committed."

It's taking the "there's no bad kids, only bad actions" and applying it to adults, who (hopefully) have more impulse control.

We call people who murder "Murderers." We call people who rape "Rapists." These people ARE criminals.

I know their labor is required by California and others during harvest season, and that they just want a better life for their families (or in some cases, just $$). But till we change the laws (and I'm not sure we should change the laws to favor one particular country only...), anyone who's not in the long line to come here legally is a criminal, and should be called such.

You're right. HUGE stones. Is it an attempt at a psychological step toward legalization/amnesty? Change the language, change the attitude???

#5 Caithness

Caithness

Nemo me impune lacessit.

• Islander
  • 4,941 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 12:24 PM

View PostRhea, on Oct 18 2006, 12:31 PM, said:

Me too. I thought we made a huge step forward when we stopped calling them "wetbacks." ;)

Besides, when you "overstay" or enter without a visa, you ARE in this country illegally. Whether it's a civil matter or a criminal matter is irrelevant.

omg, that made me laugh.
Posted Image

#6 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 02:42 PM

Got to love the PC movement. They have it to where it's OK to bash Christians but you dare not touch Islam that faith of peace and love.

You can pick on white folks but dare not say anything deemed offensive of any other minority group.  

And trust the media to go along with this and come up with their less offensive buzzword. After all one group libs demand something and the rest of the herd moo's along with the wish.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#7 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 02:50 PM

View PostRhea, on Oct 18 2006, 11:31 AM, said:

Mark:  :eek: You stopped calling them "wetbacks"?
Mark
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#8 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 03:41 PM

I so love PC crap, especially when it's pulled into service to try and not describe an action for what it is. If you came into the US from another country, you're an alien. If you came into this country without a visa, you are here illegally. Put the two together and what do ya get? Illegal alien. A drug dealer or a Pimp can call him/herself an Entrepeneur but there still just a drug dealer or pimp. A hooker can call themselves a hospitality associate/facilitater but their still just a hooker. God forbid we call things what they are, lest we offend those millions that came here via breaking US law and now lower our wage scales and suck up or social services. :crazy:  I have a solution to their oppression and hurt feelings....GO HOME.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 03:44 PM

View PostLin731, on Oct 18 2006, 03:41 PM, said:

I so love PC crap, especially when it's pulled into service to try and not describe an action for what it is. If you came into the US from another country, you're an alien. If you came into this country without a visa, you are here illegally. Put the two together and what do ya get? Illegal alien. A drug dealer or a Pimp can call him/herself an Entrepeneur but there still just a drug dealer or pimp. A hooker can call themselves a hospitality associate/facilitater but their still just a hooker. God forbid we call things what they are, lest we offend those millions that came here via breaking US law and now lower our wage scales and suck up or social services. :crazy:  I have a solution to their oppression and hurt feelings....GO HOME.

Mark:
If we give in now, eventually they'll have us calling them U.S. citizens.  :glare:
Mark
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#10 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 04:02 PM

Mark: If we give in now, eventually they'll have us calling them U.S. citizens.

That's the whole idea, give illegal immigrants a nice, antiseptic new title. Afterall we have to make this palatable to John and Jane Q. Public, lest they get their knickers in a twist and actually VOTE our sorry butts out of office. They drug immigration reform out waiting for the knatlike attention span of Americans to find something new to focus on, so they could put it off, water it down sanitize the behavior and sell it to us in the form of "Guest worker" programs.  They'll pass a guest worker program that initially places restictions on becoming a legal citizen, then in a year or so, they'll offer them a path to US citizenship. Afterall, they can't do it right now, it would piss taxpayers off and they want to allow more time to drive down wages in certain sectors.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 04:04 PM

I don't do PC. But, there is another word that we can use to describe "Illegals" and that word is: Criminal. I'll leave it to them to decide which they rather I use, cause I have no problem using both and referring to them as "Illegal Criminals".
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#12 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 05:55 PM

I'm all for dropping the PC stuff, but you all are brutal.
The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#13 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 06:03 PM

View PostAnastashia, on Oct 18 2006, 05:55 PM, said:

I'm all for dropping the PC stuff, but you all are brutal.

Mark: Brutal?  ...Brutal?  :eek:
Mark
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#14 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 06:09 PM

Under current U.S. immigration law, being an undocumented immigrant is not a crime, it is a civil violation.

This is very interesting. I wonder if it's true of the UK too. What's the difference? "What is crime" is one of the spare modules I'm doing.

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#15 Raina

Raina

Cpt. Raina 'Starlee'

• Validation Team
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 03:38 AM

G1223 said:

You can pick on white folks but dare not say anything deemed offensive of any other minority group.
Someone I knew once said that white men are the most discriminated against in our day and age. I'm inclined to think that's true.

"First thing they tell you is to assume you're already dead... dead men don't get scared or freeze up under fire. Me, I'm just worried that hell's gonna be a lonely place. And I'm gonna fill it up with every toaster son of a bitch I find." -Racetrack

"I believe what goes around comes around and if I am the instrument of 'coming round' then I'll do it happily. " -Shal

Viper Squadron CAG
Roman Warrior
Browncoat

#16 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 03:40 AM

View PostRaina, on Oct 19 2006, 03:38 AM, said:

G1223 said:

Someone I knew once said that white men are the most discriminated against in our day and age. I'm inclined to think that's true.

Mark: I'm pretty sure it's true.

edited to add: Brutally true  ;)

Edited by Mark, 19 October 2006 - 03:41 AM.

Mark
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#17 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 04:14 AM

Just more PC BS.  If one comes to the US illegally, one is an illegal alien.

And, what Mark, and G said.
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#18 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 04:24 AM

We had something similar in the UK a few weeks ago. Apparently it was 'hurtfull' to call yobs, yobs.

My response to that, sadly unpublished by my local paper, was that if it walked like a yob and talked like a yob, it probably was a yob.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#19 JamesValEson

JamesValEson

Indomitable Cowbell Juggernaut

• Islander
  • 406 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 07:12 AM

View PostRaina, on Oct 19 2006, 03:38 AM, said:

G1223 said:

Yeah, don't forget to add '...With ANY inclination towards Christianity' to that. And, like Mark said, Brutally True.

On topic: Enough with the PC Bull already, it's getting so frikin' old. Pretty soon, No one will be able to say anything, because it'll offend someone.
Reminds me of the South Park ep where they try to make the 'Unoffensive, Non-Denominational Christmas Show' or somesuch, and it ended up sucking Bigtime.

This is kind of like all those pinheads in the media who don't call terrorists what they are: terrorists. To paraphrase what Gode said, and employ the old addage "If it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck, It's a Duck!"

Barry (Tired of the PC BS)
Barry, aka James ValEson, Captain of the starship USS Wolf 359, NCC-75820.

(Quotes from the dedication plaque for USS Wolf 359)

"This ship was built to honor those lost to the Borg at Wolf 359,
and made to keep it from happening again."
      - James Val Eson, at the launch of starship Wolf 359, NX-75820.

"Risk...Is our Business..."
     - James T. Kirk

And now some silly quotes from Mythbusters:
"I reject your reality, and substitue my own." Adam

"Quack! Damn you!" Jamie

#20 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

Craving a little perspective.

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 07:19 AM

Say, for us ignorant Yanks --
what is a "yob"?  
And what do they talk and walk like?  :p

I'm cold Howard.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Social Commentary, Word Sensitivity, Political Correctness, 2006, Politics

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users