• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#41 Raina

Raina

Cpt. Raina 'Starlee'

• Validation Team
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 02:39 AM

When I was a little kid, I remember looking at my Barbie and thinking that something was very very wrong with her physical proportions. Then I went and played with my Ninja Turtles. :cool:

Is it a bad sign that action figures made to look like human-turtles actually have more human proportions than an actual doll made to resemble a human? :unsure:

"First thing they tell you is to assume you're already dead... dead men don't get scared or freeze up under fire. Me, I'm just worried that hell's gonna be a lonely place. And I'm gonna fill it up with every toaster son of a bitch I find." -Racetrack

"I believe what goes around comes around and if I am the instrument of 'coming round' then I'll do it happily. " -Shal

Viper Squadron CAG
Roman Warrior
Browncoat

#42 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 02:53 AM

View PostRaina, on Nov 8 2006, 01:39 AM, said:

When I was a little kid, I remember looking at my Barbie and thinking that something was very very wrong with her physical proportions. Then I went and played with my Ninja Turtles. :cool:

Is it a bad sign that action figures made to look like human-turtles actually have more human proportions than an actual doll made to resemble a human? :unsure:

Mark: It depends on which human you're looking at.  :D
Mark
Discussion is an exchange of knowledge: argument is an exchange of ignorance.
Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it.
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#43 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 06:32 AM

View PostRaina, on Nov 8 2006, 01:39 AM, said:

Then on the other hand....

(put in spoiler tags for possible TMI)

Spoiler: click to show/hide
My son loved to look at Barbie as a baby and toddler....

But that could have something to do with the fact that he was breastfed for the first 18 months :blush:  :blush:  :blush:

Maybe that's why he keeps staring at women's chests too... :unsure:  

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#44 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 06:35 AM

Mark: ^^ LOL!  :D
Mark
Discussion is an exchange of knowledge: argument is an exchange of ignorance.
Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it.
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#45 FlatlandDan

FlatlandDan

Sophisticate

• Islander
  • 8,824 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 11:26 AM

I'm a firm believer in letting kids go through phases of what they like.  When I was five I wanted a barbie more then anything.  My parents were dead set against me getting one.  I finally got one and after a few months I was using it as a missile and tossing it into the pool :lol:  Owning a barbie didn't do me any harm.  I can only guess that this is because my world as a child didn't put any stock in the values she physically represented.

And cheers to the people who like my avatar!!  I keep being tempted to change it but it's just such a good 'un.

Edited by FlatlandDan, 08 November 2006 - 11:27 AM.

My candle burns at both its ends;
It will not last the night;
But oh, my foes, and oh, my friends --
It gives a lovely light."
-Edna St. Vincent Millay

#46 Natasha Bennett

Natasha Bennett
  • Demigod
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 12:04 PM

For what it's worth, I really didn't see barbie as someone I needed to aspire to as a kid. At the time, Barbie was just a toy we would catapult everywhere with a hand-made catapult (we were pretty weird kids)  :D

I think for kids, the image of needing to be perfect comes a lot more from the parent then the actual toy. The pole dancing kid, OTOH, is going a little too far.

Edited by Topaz, 08 November 2006 - 12:05 PM.

#47 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 12:18 PM

View PostTopaz, on Nov 8 2006, 11:04 AM, said:

I think for kids, the image of needing to be perfect comes a lot more from the parent then the actual toy.

That's true. Although our almost-three-year-old is already overly-fascinated with her own set of micro-boobs. Having Barbie around, naked (because she likes to keep all her dolls undressed for some reason) seems as if it would only heighten that fascination.
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#48 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 01:03 PM

View PostFlatlandDan, on Nov 8 2006, 10:26 AM, said:

I'm a firm believer in letting kids go through phases of what they like.  When I was five I wanted a barbie more then anything.  My parents were dead set against me getting one.  I finally got one and after a few months I was using it as a missile and tossing it into the pool :lol:  Owning a barbie didn't do me any harm.  I can only guess that this is because my world as a child didn't put any stock in the values she physically represented.

And cheers to the people who like my avatar!!  I keep being tempted to change it but it's just such a good 'un.

I know that my daughter outgrew the Barbies pretty fast and latched on to Polly Pocket....now we are going into the preteen years and she's got more music and craft type stuff on her Christmas list.  Oh and yea whatever the newest Polly Pocket playset is....at least she is not totally grown up yet!!

The boy tho.....I think we have every single Red Power Ranger there is plus other Power Ranger stuff.... :rolleyes:

The idea of needing to be perfect....well, yes a lot of that comes from the parents.

And I know that at least four kids in my old hometown committed suicide over the last five years because they could not be perfect---the cheerleader, honor roll student, etc.

I'm concerned with where the idea  that children must be in such a hurry to grow up or look grown up comes from.  

There's plenty of time to be  grown up later....the childhood years last such a short time.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#49 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 01:07 PM

View Posttrikay, on Nov 8 2006, 12:03 PM, said:

I'm concerned with where the idea  that children must be in such a hurry to grow up or look grown up comes from.

Bratz don't help.  :(
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#50 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 01:09 PM

It's almost a reversion to previous era's, when a fourteen year old was considered almost a full adult, and was expected to shoulder the burdens of an adult.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#51 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 01:47 PM

and was expected to shoulder the burdens of an adult.

Blake had something to say about that. I get the feeling he thought it was a bit off.

Sparky

Edited by SparkyCola, 08 November 2006 - 01:47 PM.

Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#52 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 01:55 PM

View PostSparkyCola, on Nov 8 2006, 06:47 PM, said:

and was expected to shoulder the burdens of an adult.

Blake had something to say about that. I get the feeling he thought it was a bit off.

Sparky

I'm afraid i'm not familiar with what he had to say about it. What did he say?

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#53 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 01:58 PM

View PostSparkyCola, on Nov 8 2006, 12:47 PM, said:

William Blake? He was a bit off himself.  :cool:

But I would like to know what you're referring to, also.

#54 The Oncoming Storm

The Oncoming Storm

Water's wet; sky's blue; and Satan Clause is out there.

• Islander
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 02:42 PM

View PostTopaz, on Nov 8 2006, 11:04 AM, said:

I think for kids, the image of needing to be perfect comes a lot more from the parent then the actual toy.

Jon Benet Ramsey, anyone?

Rose: [disgusted] Oh, look at what the cat dragged in: "The Oncoming Storm."

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." -- John Wayne

Sometimes the best causes worth fighting for are lost causes. -- Me.

Formerly Known as "Lost Cause."

#55 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 08:58 PM

William Blake? He was a bit off himself.

:eek2:
For my own personal peace of mind, I'm going to pretend I didn't read that comment.  :glare:

I recommend Songs of Innocence and Experience (Shewing the Two Contrary States of the Human Soul)  to give you an overview of what he thought. If you can't be bothered though - he was a 'dissenter'. He was against racism, the view of 'virginity' being the most important thing in the 'verse, the 'church' making people think being poor is ok when they are rich, and being over-zealous (though he was Christian, he wrote about a God who was kind and loving and the contrast with the Church's view of God), deeply against children being abused (chimney sweepers for example), adults who inflict their jealousy on their children, and the general ignorance of people who let these things happen. Which made other people think he was nuts. He did his artwork out of his own pocket, and died poor and unappreciated :(

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{William Blake}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

That's right - you've set me off  :rolleyes:

Back to my actual POINT here  -  he believed that children should have a chance to play and be children. For examples see:

The chimney sweeper (in innocence the boy's happiness is misplaced and almost creepier than the one in experience where the child knows he's being wronged) - quoted from below v
The Schoolboy  

and to a lesser extent perhaps:

A Little Boy Lost
The Nurse's Song (compare innocence with experience - innocence is the idyll experience the reality)

The Schoolboy: (1 verse from 5)

How can the bird that is born for joy
Sit in a cage and sing?
How can a child, when fears annoy,
But droop his tender wing,
And forget his youthful spring!

The Chimney Sweeper (Innocence): (1st verse)

When my mother died I was very young,
And my father sold me while yet my tongue
Could scarcely cry "weep! weep! weep! weep!"
So your chimneys I sweep, & in soot I sleep.

The Chimney Sweeper (from Experience): (all)

A little black thing among the snow,
Crying "'weep! 'weep!" in notes of woe!
"Where are thy father & mother? say?"
"They are both gone up to the church to pray.

"Because I was happy upon the heath,
And smil'd among the winter's snow,
They clothed me in the clothes of death,
And taught me to sing the notes of woe.

"And because I am happy & dance & sing,
They think they have done me no injury,
And are gone to praise God & his Priest & King,
Who make up a heaven of our misery."

Hope that clears it up...if you want though I *can* keep talking about Blake.... that's if you REALLY want  :hehe:

Sparky

#56 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 01:09 AM

Barbie, even if I had one as a kid, is a lousy role model, ethnic versions notwithstanding. The deformed body shape is horrendous. You'd have to have ribs removed and boobs implanted to look like Barbie as an adult, which puts her into no-man's-land as far as I'm concerned.

I'd rather see a doll with a reasonably normal body shape, but Barbie is, unfortunately, big business.  :angry:

And thanks to SparkyCola for elevating a thread about pole dancing with Blake. ;)

Edited by Rhea, 09 November 2006 - 01:11 AM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#57 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 02:38 AM

Barbie, even if I had one as a kid, is a lousy role model, ethnic versions notwithstanding. The deformed body shape is horrendous. You'd have to have ribs removed and boobs implanted to look like Barbie as an adult, which puts her into no-man's-land as far as I'm concerned.

but unlike the Bimboz influencing the way little girls dress today, Barbie doesn't influence girls to grow up and say "i want a boob job!"  (they get that crap from Hollywood)

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#58 Raina

Raina

Cpt. Raina 'Starlee'

• Validation Team
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 04:03 AM

View PostGodeskian, on Nov 8 2006, 10:09 AM, said:

It's almost a reversion to previous era's, when a fourteen year old was considered almost a full adult, and was expected to shoulder the burdens of an adult.
Yeah it's really wierd how it's like a reversion in some ways, but not in other. In Ancient Greece, for example, girls would be married and having their first children at 14. Yet in our world, young girls try to dress and act like adults, and yet women aren't getting married and having children until much later in life.

I'd say that this reflects changing fashions more than anything else. Girls nowdays are actually dressing in ways that would probably make adults from previous eras shudder.

I hope that made sense...

*brain fizzles and pops*

Edited by Raina, 09 November 2006 - 04:05 AM.

"First thing they tell you is to assume you're already dead... dead men don't get scared or freeze up under fire. Me, I'm just worried that hell's gonna be a lonely place. And I'm gonna fill it up with every toaster son of a bitch I find." -Racetrack

"I believe what goes around comes around and if I am the instrument of 'coming round' then I'll do it happily. " -Shal

Viper Squadron CAG
Roman Warrior
Browncoat

#59 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 12:35 PM

View PostSparkyCola, on Nov 8 2006, 07:58 PM, said:

William Blake? He was a bit off himself.

:eek2:
For my own personal peace of mind, I'm going to pretend I didn't read that comment.  :glare:

I'm just kidding. I like Blake, and I like Songs of Innocence and Experience, and I like The Tyger and a lot of other Blake.

Sleep William Blake
All is well
There's a marriage up in heaven tonight
There's a fire in hell
You were not mad
I know time will tell
William Blake.

Hope that clears it up...if you want though I *can* keep talking about Blake.... that's if you REALLY want  :hehe:

No, heh . . . you're a Blake scholar . . . I just have a few collections of his poetry.  :cool:

Edited by Drew, 09 November 2006 - 12:36 PM.

#60 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 04:46 PM

I'm just kidding. I like Blake, and I like Songs of Innocence and Experience, and I like The Tyger and a lot of other Blake.

All is forgiven :D I like The Tyger as well. And Jerusalem :love:

Sparky

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Children, Toys, 2006, Consumer Products

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users