• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#61 woody000

woody000
  • Islander
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 02:28 PM

View PostDrew, on Oct 30 2006, 07:21 PM, said:

All that aside, I grow tired of Christians who think the only issue worth concerning themselves with is homosexuality. As I mentioned above, Jesus didn't have anything to say about it. He did speak about helping the poor, the needy, the oppressed, . . . about living in peace with others . . . and I wish my Christian brothers and sisters (in the spiritual sense) would spend their efforts on these other things that Jesus deemed very, very important instead of thinking that Christianity is doomed if a man kisses another man. God's quite a bit more sovereign than that.

I have a close relative who's gay who attends church regularly with his partner. What's more important? That the two of them are in a relationship with God or that the two of them end their relationship with each other? Some of my fellow Christians believe that God will not welcome them unless they deny each other. But these people have apparently never read the scripture that says that while we were still sinners, Jesus died for us. So they have sex. Okay. I admit to being uncomfortable with that. I believe that such actions are a sin according to scripture. But, I think what's most important is that they are in a relationship with God, and if God wants to impress upon them that their actions are sinful, he will. My job is to love them both as fellow human beings made in the image of God, and to encourage them to know God and to love him. And to leave the rest up to God.

I wasn't going to reply again here, but I just want to say: Well put. That's exactly how I feel about it.

Edited by woody000, 30 October 2006 - 02:28 PM.

#62 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 06:37 PM

View Postwoody000, on Oct 30 2006, 11:28 AM, said:

View PostDrew, on Oct 30 2006, 07:21 PM, said:

All that aside, I grow tired of Christians who think the only issue worth concerning themselves with is homosexuality. As I mentioned above, Jesus didn't have anything to say about it. He did speak about helping the poor, the needy, the oppressed, . . . about living in peace with others . . . and I wish my Christian brothers and sisters (in the spiritual sense) would spend their efforts on these other things that Jesus deemed very, very important instead of thinking that Christianity is doomed if a man kisses another man. God's quite a bit more sovereign than that.

I have a close relative who's gay who attends church regularly with his partner. What's more important? That the two of them are in a relationship with God or that the two of them end their relationship with each other? Some of my fellow Christians believe that God will not welcome them unless they deny each other. But these people have apparently never read the scripture that says that while we were still sinners, Jesus died for us. So they have sex. Okay. I admit to being uncomfortable with that. I believe that such actions are a sin according to scripture. But, I think what's most important is that they are in a relationship with God, and if God wants to impress upon them that their actions are sinful, he will. My job is to love them both as fellow human beings made in the image of God, and to encourage them to know God and to love him. And to leave the rest up to God.

I wasn't going to reply again here, but I just want to say: Well put. That's exactly how I feel about it.

Beautifully said Drew.

Lil
Posted Image

#63 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,747 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 08:14 PM

I concur with Lil, beautifully said Drew :)

Besides, Jesus said "Judge not, lest ye be judged."

The bible also says "Vengeance is mine, saith the Lord."

I think He's perfectly capable of handling sin all by Himself, we're just to love all people and leave the judging to God.

The analogy of leading a horse to water kind of fits here-You can lead people to Jesus but you can't make them accept Him-and He doesn't want it that way, we have the free will to either accept what He offers or reject it.

#64 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 10:18 PM

Nothing.... just chiming in to agree with others... that was beautiful and eloquent, Drew!

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#65 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 01:36 PM

Drew :love:

Life for Rent- I think you KNOW that's just not correct. God created us and said you have a choice, but I'd like it if you loved each other like I love you. If you choose to love each other - and you love me - you can, because it seems like you want to, spend eternity in my care. If you don't want to though - you don't have to.

It's a parent who hopes their child will love them. The parent didn't create the child JUST to be loved - but they would hope if their child came to Christmas dinner, it's because the child loves them, not because they think they can get a free meal out of this.

A parent hopes their children get along with one another as well. Heaven is where you spend time with God, hell is being without God. It's hardly 'love me or else' - it's 'if you want, you can spend time with me. if not - you don't have to.'

Remember that God is like a parent, not like a dictator.

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#66 benesound

benesound

Ben Eternal Sound

• Islander
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 02:04 AM

You're asking if God should be punished.

He has already suffered beatings and the death of crucifiction for the sins of everyone.

I believe that's a bit worse than being jailed.

#67 Chakoteya

Chakoteya

Playing Devil's Advocate

• Islander
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 06:59 AM

^^ as well as being ignored, villified, having what 'he' meant twisted and misquoted and, well, being treated in a way that most humans would find intolerable.

Meandering slightly, as most has already been said.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. - Which paradoxically includes the the perennial cry of people who find themselves in a mess of their own making to 'leave me alone to sort it out by myself, I don't need your interfering help'....
Andromeda, Star Trek (all shows) and Doctor Who franchise episode transcripts.

Just because I didn't post a reply doesn't mean I wasn't tempted to.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Religion, Criticism

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users