• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 11:38 AM

Yesterday, the New York Post endorsed Hillary.  That's right: the fund raising rag of the radical right likes Hillary, they REALLY like her!  

Whuzzah?  

Well, apparently, the Jr Senator from New York State has spent the past six years courting Rupert Murdoch.  

They lunch regularly.  

And, about two years ago, this tactic paid off, resulting in a marked shift in the Post's Hillary coverage.  Translation: she got a warm and fuzzy nickname--"Hill" (replacing the cold, officious "Mrs Clinton"), which, of course, meant the carpet-bagger had, in their eyes, gone native.  She'd become "one of us.  

Murdoch even hosted a fund raising breakfast for herlast summer.

Here's a bit of the endorsement.  Do the link for the rest.  

Surprised?

Well, so are we - a little. ...

<But H>her positions on numerous issues - particularly involving national security - have been much closer to the political center than we would have expected. ...

What about the White House?

Well, New Yorkers simply expect their major officeholders to be presidential aspirants - and the pols always rise to the bait (occasionally delivering ludicrous results; has anyone seen George Pataki in New York lately?).

So Hillary's caught the bug.

So what?

Right--Now that Murdoch has her as an ally, he's happy to support her Presidential aspirations.

Is she smart, or what?

Edited by ScottEVill, 31 October 2006 - 11:39 AM.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#2 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 12:00 PM

ScottEVill, on Oct 31 2006, 08:38 AM, said:

Is she smart, or what?

I have to admit, I'm quite impressed with this.  The reason I'm so impressed is more than just the fact that she pulled it off.  It's that she executed a plan and got the result she wanted.  I'd give my eye teeth for a President with a plan that s/he could execute and get the desired result.   It would be a refreshing change.  You know, someone who knew what they were doing.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#3 Broph

Broph
  • Islander
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 12:03 PM

You know, if she won, the presidency would go "Bush, Clinton, Bush, Clinton". You'd just have to wonder if Jeb would have a shot after Hillary.

#4 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 12:08 PM

I think Hillary has a much better shot at just getting her party's nomination than Jeb Bush does...  IMO, the next Bushes to rise to prominence nationally will be "the brown skinned ones," to quote Poppy Bush.

#5 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 12:33 PM

Frankly, I think Murdoch is just being crafty.  If Hillary became the Dem candidate, she'd be almost certain to lose.  The right may not be enthusiastic about their own side right now, but they haaaate Hillary, and would be guaranteed to get out the vote for whoever's running against her.  A lot of Democrats aren't crazy about her, either.  

So ol' Rupert is likely just playing crafty.  It's seldom a good idea to let your enemy pick your candidates for you.   If he endorses her, it's probably because he's sure she'd be easily defeatable.

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#6 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 01:52 PM

Yeah a liberal rag endorses the posterchild of DNC. Color me not surprised.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#7 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 02:06 PM

G1223, on Oct 31 2006, 10:52 AM, said:

LOL, nothing surprises you G!  :angel:

Source:

#8 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 02:19 PM

G1223, on Oct 31 2006, 01:52 PM, said:

A liberal rag?  You get that we're talking about The New York Post, yes?  They've been called lots of things, but "liberal" is not one of them.

#9 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 03:30 PM

I was pretty sure G was confusing the NY Post with the Washington Post, but maybe he does believe the NYP is liberal! ;)

Source:

#10 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 05:35 PM

Sorry outside of the Journel most of the papers in New York and Boston claiming to be anything but a DNC call sheet usally get laughed out of the room here in the midwest.

So to Hilary running what a surprise the woman would not return home and instead did a Bobby Kennedy and took up a mailbox in New York while trying to  help her brother or brother in law stuff a sack or two with cash.

You remember this don't you. That when leaving office there were 'contributions' given to get pardons with the cash going to the one the brothers. It was fun. This is where that tax dodge guy who's wife gave money to the clintons and suddenly SHAZAM he gets a pardon.

Clintons and graft sort of like CHicago and crooked political leaders they just go well one another.

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

#11 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 06:20 PM

So you think maybe Hillary has paid off Rupert Murdoch, the conservative Australian billionaire owner of the New York Post and FoxNews? Does this mean that Sean Hannity, Bill O'Reilly, Neil Cavuto, John Gibson and Co. are going to be endorsing Hillary on Murdoch's FoxNews? This should be interesting....

;)
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#12 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 07:13 PM

She's also extremely dangerous to the United States.  Think things are bad now, Hillary will be taking away rights of citizens like a human dirt devil if she has the chance.  I don't mind a woman at all.  Just not her.  EVER.
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#13 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,328 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 07:20 PM

G, most New Yorkers are "liberal" compared to midwesterners. You can check some of CJ's posts on New York Republicans, or the fact that New York City's two republican mayors (back to back) both are considerably left of the rest of the party.  

The question is - is there a way to express conservativism without being the way Midwesterners think it should be? If the answer is no - then we may as well pack up and go home.  The country is divided, and can never see eye to eye.  If the answer is yes - then there is some core value that makes conservatives what they are - and there are certainly some of those in NY...

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#14 Broph

Broph
  • Islander
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 07:03 AM

Spidey, on Nov 1 2006, 12:13 AM, said:

She's also extremely dangerous to the United States.  Think things are bad now, Hillary will be taking away rights of citizens like a human dirt devil if she has the chance.  I don't mind a woman at all.  Just not her.  EVER.

Examples?

#15 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 09:59 AM

Spidey, on Nov 1 2006, 12:13 AM, said:

????

Can you please explain this? When has Hillary Clinton EVER tried to take our rights away?

Damn, I thought it was Dubyah that just trashed Habeas Corpus*! Was it really Hillary?  :blink:

enTranced

* Oh God, please let me spell that right!  :ninja:

Edited by enTranced, 01 November 2006 - 09:59 AM.

Posted Image

#16 Dev F

Dev F

Straighten your pope hat!

• Islander
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 10:08 AM

enTranced, on Nov 1 2006, 08:59 AM, said:

Can you please explain this? When has Hillary Clinton EVER tried to take our rights away?
I'd mention her sponsorship of blatantly unconstitutional legislation to ban flag burning, but I'm pretty sure that's not what Spidey was talking about. :)

#17 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 12:05 PM

Dev F, on Nov 1 2006, 03:08 PM, said:

I'd mention her sponsorship of blatantly unconstitutional legislation to ban flag burning, but I'm pretty sure that's not what Spidey was talking about. :)

Ok, now that is something I never heard about, and I think that is just silly. How are we supposed to retire flags that are old and not able to be displayed properly?

But I suppose she is really talking about protests. *sigh*

enTranced
Posted Image

#18 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 12:09 PM

Dev F, on Nov 1 2006, 10:08 AM, said:

No Hilary is a saint she never has done wrong it is the EVIL RIGHT WING CONSPIRACY that made her sponser such a legislative idea.

TANSTAAFL

#19 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 12:11 PM

enTranced, on Nov 1 2006, 12:05 PM, said:

Dev F, on Nov 1 2006, 03:08 PM, said:

Ok, now that is something I never heard about, and I think that is just silly. How are we supposed to retire flags that are old and not able to be displayed properly?

But I suppose she is really talking about protests. *sigh*

enTranced

I think this is a very good, on-topic point, because -- as with the courting of Rupert Murdoch and the NY Post -- it's just another one of the tactics  (in this case, purely symbolic, as no such amendment will ever pass, let alone get ratified) Hillary is employing in an attempt to neutralize (or at least mitigate) the perception on the right that she's some out of control leftie, which, as The Post points out in its endorsement, is pure B.S. -- Perhaps *surprising* BS to those who believed she was only slightly to the right of Che Guevara, but BS nevertheless.

#20 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 01:37 PM

^ Just to clarify because I had to post and run, while I don't agree with the flag burning thing at all (I mean how can you legislate such a thing? "I wasn't protesting! It was a damaged flag your Honor!") I don't think it comes anywhere near what our President has done with our rights.

enTranced
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Election, 2006, Mid-terms, Hillary Clinton, New York Post, Endorsement

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users