• Please log in to reply
214 replies to this topic

#1 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

Craving a little perspective.

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 05:17 PM

Kerry’s statements at a Democrat rally held at Pasadena Community College included:  "You know, education, if you make the most of it, you study hard, you do your homework and you make an effort to be smart, you can do well. If you don't, you get stuck in Iraq."

I'm cold Howard.jpg

#2 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 05:26 PM

View PostNittany Lioness, on Oct 31 2006, 05:17 PM, said:

Kerry’s statements at a Democrat rally held at Pasadena Community College included:  "You know, education, if you make the most of it, you study hard, you do your homework and you make an effort to be smart, you can do well. If you don't, you get stuck in Iraq."

Well and folks wonder why he lost. Such a noble man who sneers at the common man. Just like the leadership of his party.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#3 emsparks

emsparks
  • Forever Missed
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 05:31 PM

stupid, stupid, stupid... all around

Edited by emsparks, 31 October 2006 - 05:31 PM.

Sparky::

Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.

#4 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 05:34 PM

Mark:   Why, that scoundral!   :grr:

:bash:  <----me bashing Senator Kerry's noggin.
Mark
Discussion is an exchange of knowledge: argument is an exchange of ignorance.
Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it.
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#5 scherzo

scherzo

I know things

• Islander
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 05:35 PM

When things aren't going well, it's good to remind ourselves that voting for this sleazebag elitist was never really an option.

-scherzo
"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so."    -Ronald Reagan, October 27 1964
Posted Image

#6 Dev F

Dev F

Straighten your pope hat!

• Islander
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 05:56 PM

Ugh. I knew that if there was a way to blow this thing the Democrats would find it. :angry:

It's clear to me that he intended to call President Bush a moron, not the troops, but God, he couldn't have misspoken more badly if he tried.

Of course, that doesn't lessen my contempt for the Republican leadership, who are once again embracing pointless negativity and deliberately mischaracterizing their opponents in order to conceal their total moral and strategic bankruptcy.

View PostG1223, on Oct 31 2006, 04:26 PM, said:

Such a noble man who sneers at the common man. Just like the leadership of his party.
Yeah. Those bastards. :sarcasm:

Edited by Dev F, 31 October 2006 - 05:57 PM.

#7 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 05:57 PM

:D

Yeah, Bush and the rightwing commentators are revving up the ol' swiftboat again.

http://news.yahoo.co...tics_kerry_dc_3

While campaigning in California, Kerry told a college crowd on Monday: "You know, education, if you make the most of it, you study hard, you do your homework and you make an effort to be smart, you can do well. If you don't, you get stuck in Iraq."

Kerry's office released his prepared remarks, which said, "Do you know where you end up if you don't study, if you aren't smart, if you're intellectually lazy? You end up getting us stuck in a war in Iraq. Just ask President Bush."

But Kerry, combative at a news conference in Seattle, insisted: "My statement yesterday -- and the White House knows this full well -- was a botched joke about the president and the president's people, not about the troops."

Now he definitely botched the joke, the butt of which was intended to be Bush and not the troops in Iraq, and he deserves some criticism for that. But there's no way he intended to imply that our troops were stupid. That would just be insane. The policies that got them in Iraq, now that's another matter--and that was his point, which he failed to make.

But it was a stupid mistake, and the rightwing propaganda machine is gonna harp on it and convince folks that Kerry really did intend to insult the troops. So, I'm ticked off at him, too. :) And if he reverses course and apologizes for "botching" the joke and accidentally insulting the troops, they'll just pick up the old "flip-flopper" theme. So he might as well stick to his guns and repeat what he was supposed to say.

Edited by Spectacles, 31 October 2006 - 05:58 PM.

"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#8 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 06:01 PM

Mark: ^ What somebody intends, and what somebody actually does are often two different things...but which one actually counts?  ;)

BTW, I think Kerry said it exactly the way he intended to.  :devil:

Edited by Mark, 31 October 2006 - 06:02 PM.

Mark
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#9 Dev F

Dev F

Straighten your pope hat!

• Islander
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 06:07 PM

View PostMark, on Oct 31 2006, 05:01 PM, said:

Please. A career politician intended to insult the intelligence of every single member of the armed forces on the eve of a hugely critical election? That's absolute nonsense, wishful thinking of the most uncritical kind.

#10 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 06:14 PM

View PostDev F, on Oct 31 2006, 05:56 PM, said:

Ugh. I knew that if there was a way to blow this thing the Democrats would find it. :angry:

Agreed. I thought they would have a clean sweep, but it seems they just can't help but blow it.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#11 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 06:19 PM

View PostDev F, on Oct 31 2006, 05:07 PM, said:

View PostMark, on Oct 31 2006, 05:01 PM, said:

Please. A career politician intended to insult the intelligence of every single member of the armed forces on the eve of a hugely critical election? That's absolute nonsense, wishful thinking of the most uncritical kind.

Mark: Sorry, it's not wishful thinking. This isn't  the first time Kerry has insulted our armed forces. It's his track record! The man needs to be removed from office...for EVERYONE'S sake.
Mark
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#12 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 06:32 PM

Wow. Kerry's actually fighting back. So far anyway....

http://www.nytimes.c...t...and&emc=rss

But if anyone should apologize, Mr. Kerry said, it is President Bush and his administration officials who started the ill-conceived war. He said his remarks, which he conceded were part of a “botched joke,” had been distorted and called the criticism directed at him the work of “assorted right-wing nut jobs and right-wing talk show hosts.”

“If anyone thinks a veteran would criticize the more than 140,000 heroes serving in Iraq and not the president who got us stuck there, they’re crazy,” Mr. Kerry said in a statement. “I’m sick and tired of these despicable Republican attacks that always seem to come from those who never can be found to serve in war, but love to attack those who did.”

“I’m not going to be lectured by a stuffed-suit White House mouthpiece standing behind a podium, or doughy Rush Limbaugh, who no doubt today will take a break from belittling Michael J. Fox’s Parkinson’s disease to start lying about me just as they have lied about Iraq,” Mr. Kerry went on. “It disgusts me that these Republican hacks, who have never worn the uniform of our country lie and distort so blatantly and carelessly about those who have.”

At a televised news conference today in Seattle, Mr. Kerry said he was “disgusted” by the Republican attacks, which he noted were coming at the end of a bloody month in Iraq. “Sadly, this is the best this administration can do,” he said.

Feelings intensified as the day wore on, with Mr. Kerry issuing a fresh denunciation of the administration this evening as Mr. Bush was in Georgia. “Had George Bush and Dick Cheney been in combat one minute of their comfortable lives, they would never have sent American troops to war without body armor or without a plan to win the peace, and they wouldn’t be exploiting our troops today,” the senator said.

Part of Mr. Kerry’s outrage may arise from memories of 2004, when a group called Swift Boat Veterans for Truth raised allegations, never substantiated, that he had exaggerated his wartime exploits. Some political observers thought Mr. Kerry and his allies were too slow to strike back at his attackers.

This time, Mr. Kerry did not wait. “No Democrat will be bullied by an administration that has a cut-and-run policy in Afghanistan and a stand-still-and-lose strategy in Iraq,” he said in his statement. At his news conference, he accused Republicans of creating “straw men” because “they’re afraid to debate real men.”

:eek4:
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#13 scherzo

scherzo

I know things

• Islander
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 06:32 PM

Kerry's office released his prepared remarks, which said, "Do you know where you end up if you don't study, if you aren't smart, if you're intellectually lazy? You end up getting us stuck in a war in Iraq. Just ask President Bush."
That doesn't work as a joke either. Turns out Kerry was arguably a worse college student than Bush:
http://www.usatoday....benedetto_x.htm
And let's face it people...this remark by Kerry doesn't exactly speak well for his brain capacity.

-scherzo
"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so."    -Ronald Reagan, October 27 1964
Posted Image

#14 Banapis

Banapis

Tilting at Shadow Depositories

• Islander
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 06:39 PM

View Postscherzo, on Oct 31 2006, 05:35 PM, said:

When things aren't going well, it's good to remind ourselves that voting for this sleazebag elitist was never really an option.
If it helps, keep telling yourself that. Thankfully, I don't have to face the moral dilemma of justifying a vote for Bush.

Banapis

#15 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 06:40 PM

View Postscherzo, on Oct 31 2006, 06:32 PM, said:

That doesn't work as a joke either. Turns out Kerry was arguably a worse college student than Bush:
http://www.usatoday....benedetto_x.htm
And let's face it people...this remark by Kerry doesn't exactly speak well for his brain capacity.

-scherzo

Nor does the President and his supporters willfully mischaracterizing these remarks speak well for their prospects next Tuesday.  They're clearly desperate.  This is nothing more than the result of casting around for a Democratic boogey-man to pillory, because they beleive they do better when they're on the attack.  

We'll see next Tuesday.

I commend Kerry for fighting back -- even as I wish he'd just go the f*** away.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#16 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 06:41 PM

View PostBanapis, on Oct 31 2006, 05:39 PM, said:

View Postscherzo, on Oct 31 2006, 05:35 PM, said:

If it helps, keep telling yourself that. Thankfully, I don't have to face the moral dilemma of justifying a vote for Bush.

Banapis

Mark: It's too bad when none of the options are good ones.
Mark
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#17 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 06:41 PM

Oh, Kerry definitely stepped in it, no argument. I do give him props for fighting back against the distortions--unlike in 04.

As for "brain capacity," it appears not to be that important in American politics.  :(

I'll stop with that because I don't want anyone to go nuculer.

;)

Edited by Spectacles, 31 October 2006 - 06:42 PM.

#18 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 06:44 PM

Scott: I commend Kerry for fighting back -- even as I wish he'd just go the f*** away.

:D

Hear hear!

#19 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 06:52 PM

View PostSpectacles, on Oct 31 2006, 05:41 PM, said:

Oh, Kerry definitely stepped in it, no argument. I do give him props for fighting back against the distortions--unlike in 04.

As for "brain capacity," it appears not to be that important in American politics.  :(

I'll stop with that because I don't want anyone to go nuculer.

;)

Mark: What distortions? Even the prepared speech that attempts to slam Bush, also slams our troops!
Mark
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#20 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 06:52 PM

As far as "stupidity" and "Iraq" go, I offer the following:

About the last thing the United States ought to be doing in Iraq is funneling weapons into black-market weapons bazaars, as sectarian militias arm themselves for civil war. Yet that is just what Washington may have been doing for the past several years, thanks to an inexplicable decision that standard Pentagon regulations for registering weapons transfers did not apply to the Iraq war.

Of more than 500,000 weapons turned over to the Iraqi Ministries of Defense and Interior since the American invasion — including rocket-propelled grenade launchers, assault rifles, machine guns and sniper rifles — the serial numbers of only 12,128 were properly recorded. Some 370,000 of these weapons, some of which are undoubtedly being used to kill American troops, were paid for by United States taxpayers, under the Orwellian-titled Iraq Relief and Reconstruction Fund.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: John Kerry, Education, 2006, Military Comment, Politics, Social Commentary

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users