• Please log in to reply
214 replies to this topic

#181 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 12:44 PM

View PostDrew, on Nov 2 2006, 07:39 AM, said:

Let's also remember that when it comes to helping the victims, churches, private organizations, and a crapload of willing individuals accomplished a lot more in terms of meeting the immediate needs of the victims than the goverment bodies who were too tied up in red tape to get anything done with efficiency. N.O. was a good example of how depending on the government to save you is a bad wager -- in any situation.

You know I tend to agree that the best immediate response always comes from charitable organizations.  I have a few local charities that I support.  Not as much as I'd like, but I do support two community charities.  I think it's wise to remember that the people who can help the most and the quickest are those in your own community.  So I'm not one to depend on the government for assistance under any circumstances.  I didn't in the 94 Earthquake here, and I was 4 miles form the epicenter and suffered a lot of damage.  We had no place to sleep, there was price gouging, the whole nine yards, but my church was there the morning after the earthquake occured.  The damn roads were rolling from aftershocks as we drove, yet my church [and others] were already in the field.  FEMA did help a lot of people back then, but I gather that the agency was beter funded during Clinton's administration.

Anyway,  here is where you lose me on this... If the government is useless, I don't want to have to pay for that uselessness.  They waste taxpayer money doing nothing but *waste* money.  I don't think anyone realizes when we talk about billions of dollars that we are talking about *our* money.  OUR money.  Taxpayer money.  The very thought that billions of dollars was sunk into FEMA and Homeland security and NOTHING resulted.. well it is infuriating.  

We were promised that we would be safe, and yet all I saw was a modern day version of the keystone cops running around during the aftermath of Katrina.  And I'll be honest, I don't care whose fault it was that the levees broke, all I cared about was helping the people who were dying from dehydration.  

Politicians can point the finger *after* the emergency is over.  Does no one ever get that?  Act now--point a finger later.  People died while incompetent politicians [at every level] argued over jurisdiction.  If the law is that cumbersome and ineffective in the very emergency it was meant to serve, then guess what?  THE LAW WAS WRITTEN POORLY!  And who wrote the laws?  You got it.. more incompetent lawmakers and managers.  

Where is it suppose to end?  If I hear one more time that some glitch in the law actually caused people to be stopped from receiving help, I'll scream.  Incompetent civil servants, hiding behind even more incompetent language in a law that makes the government feel good, but is useless to the people the government is suppose to serve.  Does no one see this?  And WE pay for this incompetence.

While Republicans and Democrats alike pointed the finger to "the other guy" during the aftermath of Katrina, real people and their lives were destroyed.  Yet no one looked at the organization, the laws or anything and said.. "We messed up.  This section, this law, this statute, this whatever got in the way of speedy action."  No one.

So here's my point, I won't depend on the government to rescue me , and the government doesn't count on me for support either.  How's that.  I'm reaching the point where all I want from the government is to defend us, and print money and leave the rest to me.  The government is a bottomless pit of waste and mismanagement and that's the truth.  

And no that didn't happen in the last 6 years but it has sure been elevated an art form in the last 6 years.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#182 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 12:46 PM

View Postscherzo, on Nov 2 2006, 09:42 AM, said:

Okay, let's not let Bush-hatred devour reason.
Hah..."reason" is the first thing to go. The pathology of Bush hatred can potentially stop there if caught early. Advanced stages of the disease leads to perpetual anger, and eventually outright madness. Anyone harboring hostility to the Bush Administration for the disaster in New Orleans, is probably in critical condition.

-scherzo

I don't think the "Bush-haters" have cornered the market on the loss of reason.  I find the same pathology you decribe in "Bush Apologists" as well.

Edited by Cait, 02 November 2006 - 12:47 PM.

Source:

#183 scherzo

scherzo

I know things

• Islander
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 12:52 PM

Perhaps before agreeing to this I should quickly check to see how many people here took offence to Blackadder being set in WW1? Or 'Allo 'Allo set during the war? Or Porridge set in a prison? The war was terrible - yet we have Britcoms that laugh at it. Is that tasteless or is it something humans MUST do to keep some semblance of sanity?

Maybe it's just a little too soon though, I don't know.
Nah...some people just get off on being offended. Nothing like a good self righteous anger high to give some meaning to an otherwise dull day. Let's all make sure to speak in sullen hushed tones when referring to Katrina from now on just to play it safe. I'm even gonna try and coax a few tears if I see an uppercase "K" appear in a post. :cry:

-scherzo
"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so."    -Ronald Reagan, October 27 1964
Posted Image

#184 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 01:01 PM

View PostDrew, on Nov 2 2006, 12:03 PM, said:

View PostScottEVill, on Nov 2 2006, 10:54 AM, said:

You can disagree with that assessment all you want, but there's no call to get personal.

FEMA is there to respond to emergencies, not prevent them. I think you're still missing the target. Was FEMA responsible for making sure the dikes were up to par? Seems to me that whoever failed in that area would have to bear the weight of the responsibility for the "destruction of New Orleans."

Eleven or so years ago N.O. and Lousiana was given funding to make those upgrades. They used the part that was set aside for government improvments and built a new courthouse. The money that was set aside for the Levees could not be spent on anything but those improvements and the state (Who was determined to have the better idea of how to do those upgrades) did nothing. So when the time that the law giving those funds said the money must be spent or budgeted  to be spent the STATE sent the money back to the feds.

But it's the feds fault for not doing the upgrades? How they followed the law on the issue, they gave the money to the state, and gave them 3 three years to work out how to do the job. The state could have kept the money if they had the repairs and upgrades bugeted out.

How long is the federal government suppose to hold the hands of a state? Years, Decades? They by law cannot roll in and just start pitching up levees.  IF they did we would have heard how Bush was grabbing up land to give to rich buddy. And his upgrades would be poo pooed away as a smokescreen.

I love how the left leaves Bush in a Catch 22 and then acts shocked when they do not win with the people.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#185 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 01:11 PM

View PostCait, on Nov 2 2006, 11:44 AM, said:

I'm reaching the point where all I want from the government is to defend us, and print money and leave the rest to me.  The government is a bottomless pit of waste and mismanagement and that's the truth.

Yep! Sounds good to me.  :cool:
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#186 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 01:32 PM

View PostDrew, on Nov 2 2006, 10:11 AM, said:

View PostCait, on Nov 2 2006, 11:44 AM, said:

I'm reaching the point where all I want from the government is to defend us, and print money and leave the rest to me.  The government is a bottomless pit of waste and mismanagement and that's the truth.

Yep! Sounds good to me.  :cool:

heeheehee.. I thought it might.  :angel:

Source:

#187 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 02:04 PM

Hah..."reason" is the first thing to go. The pathology of Bush hatred can potentially stop there if caught early. Advanced stages of the disease leads to perpetual anger, and eventually outright madness.

Well, thank you for that diagnosis from the new edition of the DSM-II edited by Dr. Lackscredibility.  By the way, that whole "claiming to be a conservative while supporting The Lord God King of the Deficit-Builders"... how's that working out?  It's a lot to reconcile, but thank god you Bush-Lovers have reason to see you down that dark and tangled path, which makes walking-the-walk all but impossible... :)

Anyone harboring hostility to the Bush Administration for the disaster in New Orleans, is probably in critical condition.

I'll be sure to pass that along to my staunch Republican multi-millionaire cousin in Gulfport who's still living in a trailer while they rebuild his house.  Hell, even his big buddy Trent Lott's pretty pissed about it and (hyopcritically, considering he lobbied against such things earlier in his illustrious career) has been filing lawsuits.

Let's all make sure to speak in sullen hushed tones when referring to Katrina from now on just to play it safe. I'm even gonna try and coax a few tears if I see an uppercase "K" appear in a post.

Now where's that rolling-around-laughing smiley when I need it?  Hey, when you get a break from all this witty chuckling about the stuff that happens to us Southerners, lemme know when you New Yorkers are cool with the Trade Center jokes, 'cuz I've got a "tearing up every time I see an = " joke that just kills in Tuscaloosa...

Anyway, yeah, charities are great, 'cuz it keeps the burden of taking care of the country on the poorer people... where it belongs!  For instance,

In the 2003 Generosity Index released by the Catalogue for Philanthropy, Mississippi ranked No. 1 when evaluating how much its residents gave to charity compared to how much they earn. While Mississippi ranks last in average income of all 50 states at $33,665, its citizens give, on average, the sixth highest amount to philanthropy at $4,340.

It's important that the poor - like one of the nurses who helps with my dad, who housed and fed almost 20 people she didn't even know after the Katrina disaster, for instance - do all the heavy lifting so the Government can concentrate on the important stuff, like giving corporate welfare to those poor suffering oil companies.

I, personally, don't see the fairness or good in that, but it's probably because I lack reason and have quite possibly even descended into madness.

Cheers,

Zwolf

Edited by Zwolf, 02 November 2006 - 02:06 PM.

"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#188 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 02:18 PM

View PostZwolf, on Nov 2 2006, 11:04 AM, said:

Hah..."reason" is the first thing to go. The pathology of Bush hatred can potentially stop there if caught early. Advanced stages of the disease leads to perpetual anger, and eventually outright madness.

Well, thank you for that diagnosis from the new edition of the DSM-II edited by Dr. Lackscredibility.  By the way, that whole "claiming to be a conservative while supporting The Lord God King of the Deficit-Builders"... how's that working out?  It's a lot to reconcile, but thank god you Bush-Lovers have reason to see you down that dark and tangled path, which makes walking-the-walk all but impossible... :)

Anyone harboring hostility to the Bush Administration for the disaster in New Orleans, is probably in critical condition.

I'll be sure to pass that along to my staunch Republican multi-millionaire cousin in Gulfport who's still living in a trailer while they rebuild his house.  Hell, even his big buddy Trent Lott's pretty pissed about it and (hyopcritically, considering he lobbied against such things earlier in his illustrious career) has been filing lawsuits.

Let's all make sure to speak in sullen hushed tones when referring to Katrina from now on just to play it safe. I'm even gonna try and coax a few tears if I see an uppercase "K" appear in a post.

Now where's that rolling-around-laughing smiley when I need it?  Hey, when you get a break from all this witty chuckling about the stuff that happens to us Southerners, lemme know when you New Yorkers are cool with the Trade Center jokes, 'cuz I've got a "tearing up every time I see an = " joke that just kills in Tuscaloosa...

Anyway, yeah, charities are great, 'cuz it keeps the burden of taking care of the country on the poorer people... where it belongs!  For instance,

In the 2003 Generosity Index released by the Catalogue for Philanthropy, Mississippi ranked No. 1 when evaluating how much its residents gave to charity compared to how much they earn. While Mississippi ranks last in average income of all 50 states at $33,665, its citizens give, on average, the sixth highest amount to philanthropy at $4,340.

It's important that the poor - like one of the nurses who helps with my dad, who housed and fed almost 20 people she didn't even know after the Katrina disaster, for instance - do all the heavy lifting so the Government can concentrate on the important stuff, like giving corporate welfare to those poor suffering oil companies.

I, personally, don't see the fairness or good in that, but it's probably because I lack reason and have quite possibly even descended into madness.

Cheers,

Zwolf

Ah.. What Zwolf said!!   :D

Source:

#189 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 02:32 PM

Ah.. What Zwolf said!!

Thank you!  My first inclination had honestly been to paste in what you said about the Bush-Apologists... but then I thought that since the moratorium on snark has apparently been rescinded completely if mocking Katrina can fly here, I might as well take advantage of it... :)

If Katrina jokes is what the thread's turned into, I figure this bit by David Cross is almost perfectly apt, if not P.C...

So I was watching all the Katrina coverage and I got really angry at all those Christians who didn't pray hard enough. It's their ****ing fault. First off, they needed to pray against the people that were praying for Katrina to hit, because New Orleans is a den of sin and iniquity; an area where gay people dance! But now they have to pray double, and if they had just put that little effort up front, we could've avoided all of this. I think it's time we take a lesson from history, and return to human sacrifice.

I thought it was really odd at how much people freaked out at Katrina. You'd think they'd be worried about something important. 'Oh my God, look! George Bush is just appointing all his friends into office and we're in an unfounded war!  They're looting the treasury!' But no- screw that, some n***er's stealing  potato chips!'

Cheers,

Zwolf

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."

#190 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 02:48 PM

Mark: This thread becoming flooded with Katrina jokes is not what I had in mind. I'll be glad when this just blows over.

Edited by Mark, 02 November 2006 - 02:51 PM.

Mark
Discussion is an exchange of knowledge: argument is an exchange of ignorance.
Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it.
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#191 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 02:53 PM

View PostZwolf, on Nov 2 2006, 01:04 PM, said:

This anecdote isn't really about how unfair it is to the poor to be helping the poor. Rather what it points out is that the poor in this country are a good sight more generous than the rich. This is a matter of shame to the wealthy, not unfairness to the poor. Widow's mite and all that. No one forces them to be generous -- they do it out of the goodness of their hearts. They should be honored for that; they wouldn't take pity.
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#192 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 03:07 PM

I thought it was really odd at how much people freaked out at Katrina. You'd think they'd be worried about something important. 'Oh my God, look! George Bush is just appointing all his friends into office and we're in an unfounded war! They're looting the treasury!' But no- screw that, some n***er's stealing potato chips!'

Now that is a joke that I can laugh at.  I know a bunch of FEMA jokes but I'm very sure that they would piss someone off.  :o

View PostMark, on Nov 2 2006, 01:48 PM, said:

Mark: This thread becoming flooded with Katrina jokes is not what I had in mind. I'll be glad when this just blows over.

I'm not that upset and I do have a sense of humor but maybe you've been reading some of the other replies up there and now realize that maybe some things are a bit insensitive, like Scherzo's post but I didn't expect anything else from him so I can ignore that.

Mr Bush and the Feds sat on their hands for days and people are dead because of it.  They didn't have to be dead but they are.  We're still trying to come back down here and it's hard but we will make it back and in part thanks to the people in Texas and Mississippi and frickin' Ohio and Arizona and California and New York and just about every place that you can think of.   The people who volunteer for the Red Cross and other agencies like that are the most amazing people and because of them I have hope for humanity, there are some damn wonderful humans out there.

Anyway, I didn't mean to start such a sh*te storm, so no hard feelings from me.

Y'all all go back to telling me what a great guy George W. Bush is.  :Oo:

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#193 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 03:40 PM

It will. :)  Don't sweat it - you didn't do anything bad.  Schez just took it a little far and put a little nasty edge in it, 'cuz he thinks he's cute.  I just think I'm cuter, 'zall.

This anecdote isn't really about how unfair it is to the poor to be helping the poor. Rather what it points out is that the poor in this country are a good sight more generous than the rich. This is a matter of shame to the wealthy, not unfairness to the poor. Widow's mite and all that. No one forces them to be generous -- they do it out of the goodness of their hearts. They should be honored for that; they wouldn't take pity.

This is true.  Having lived through it (not directly, damage-wise - I live far enough north in Mississippi to have escaped that - but refugee-action wise), I know we could have used a lot more federal agency help than was given.   I just gave a bunch of money.  My mom gave money and volunteered a lot of her time and cleaned out all of her closets for all the clothes should could part with... but getting it all where it was supposed to go was chaos, because the fed was nowhere to be seen.  If nothing else, they could have provided some experienced leadership.  But, the area managed to get through it.  A lot of people who didn't have much of anything to begin with were still giving... it was pretty incredible.  And my dad's nurse is a saint as far as I'm concerned... she fed and housed 20-something people in her little house, and this is on top of already putting in about 100 hours a week work, most of it for minimum wage.  I don't know where she got the energy...

Cheers,

Zwolf

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."

#194 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 04:43 PM

scherzo: Let's all make sure to speak in sullen hushed tones when referring to Katrina from now on just to play it safe. I'm even gonna try and coax a few tears if I see an uppercase "K" appear in a post.

Scherzo - sarcasm is not the answer. Humour can be a way of dealing with it - what you're doing here is something else, and imo it's a bit out of line. I know you were trying to make a point, but perhaps there's a better way of expressing it?

Balderdash - don't make it too personal - I'm sure Scherzo wasn't being deliberately insensitive so there's no need to be rude back. I understand though and I'm sorry if I exacerbated the problem. Katrina is not something you just forget and move on from.

Sparky

Edited by SparkyCola, 02 November 2006 - 05:17 PM.

Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#195 Call Me Robin

Call Me Robin

red-haired and proud

• Islander
  • 970 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 05:22 PM

Now that this manufactured outrage over Kerry's joke has blown over, let's examine the fact, shall we?

The Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America (IAVA) is a nonpartisan organization which has graded our elected officials according to their votes on issues affecting military and veterans.

John Kerry, the deocrated war veteran, received a B.  In fact, the Democrats in the Senate all got A's and B's from the IAVA.  The lowest grade was a B- for one Dem senator.

And here is a breakdown of Kerry's voting record.

But wait!  There's more!  Here's IAVA's A Team, those senators and congresscritters who received an A.  The A team consists mostly of Democrats.

And here is the F troop, those folks who, as you can guess, received an F.  They are all Republicans.

Puts things in perspective, doesn't it?
Of all the varieties of virtues, liberalism is the most beloved.
--Aristotle

The fanatic is not really a stickler to principle. He embraces a cause not primarily because of its justness or holiness but because of his desperate need for something to hold onto.
--Eric Hoffer

#196 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 05:24 PM

Scherzo - sarcasm is not the answer. Humour can be a way of dealing with it - what you're doing here is something else, and imo it's a bit out of line. I know you were trying to make a point, but perhaps there's a better way of expressing it?

Lemme just say this, as somebody who's known Scherzo a long time: I respect his sense of humor.  I don't say that about a lot of people, 'cuz not just everybody makes me laugh.  Scherz often does.  I think his politics are at least 85% junk and his reasoning ability is often ehhhhh, kinda shaky, (it's all mutual, don't worry) but the dude is funny.  This instance, though, I didn't take it as being funny.  I took it as him being a d*ck... which is why I called 'im on it with some snarkitude of my own.  You bring d*ck, you get d*ck.  And it's not just 'cuz I'm sensitive on Katrina, 'cuz I'm really not  so much.  I'll joke about just about anything.  Hell, I'm a major Sarah Silverman fan, and she's not for the even-remotely oversensitive.   But I can tell when something's a joke, and when something's just a dig at somebody.  This was a dig.  So, dig back, even it up, finis and on to the nexthang.

Balderdash - don't make it too personal - I'm sure Scherzo wasn't being deliberately insensitive so there's no need to be rude back.

Ummm... I know the guy pretty well, and, despite our many differences, overall I like him.  And, trust me, he was being deliberately insensitive, likely to Baldy in particular.  Being rude back's exactly what was called for.  

I know you're trying to make peace, though, and I respect that.  :)

Now - anyone remember what this topic is ACTUALLY meant to be about? Let's get back on topic shall we.

I think it was something about the activities of the great North American Tree Sloth.  Or it was something John Kerry did.  I'm always getting those two things confused... ;)

Cheers,

Zwolf

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."

#197 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 05:37 PM

View PostZwolf, on Nov 2 2006, 04:24 PM, said:

I think it was something about the activities of the great North American Tree Sloth.  Or it was something John Kerry did.  I'm always getting those two things confused... ;)

:howling:

#198 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 05:37 PM

Balderdash - don't make it too personal - I'm sure Scherzo wasn't being deliberately insensitive so there's no need to be rude back. I understand though and I'm sorry if I exacerbated the problem. Katrina is not something you just forget and move on from.

I'm sorry too Sparky, I seem to keep making y'all come out and tell me to tone it down and I really didn't mean to cause you any work or make any problems.  :blush:

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#199 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 06:01 PM

No worries Balderdash :)

Zwolf- !! Gee, don't hold back there Zwolf, say what you REALLY think...:rolleyes: You better be really good friends with him Zwolf! :crazy: Seriously though - getting just a little personal there doncha think?  :blink:

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#200 Gabrielles Army

Gabrielles Army
  • Islander
  • 116 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 09:31 PM

Kerry slip-up not seen hurting Democrats at polls

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Sen.
John Kerry's "botched joke" about the
Iraq war riled fellow Democrats and temporarily energized Republicans, but it is unlikely to have much, if any, impact in Tuesday's congressional elections.

That was the view of political analysts on Thursday as polls continued to show Democrats headed toward winning control of the House of Representatives and possibly the Senate from
President George W. Bush's Republicans.

http://news.yahoo.co...ctions_kerry_dc

Just gotta love this, in spite of all the hot air coming from Republican on this non-story, it`s not doing a damn thing for them in the polls   :lol:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: John Kerry, Education, 2006, Military Comment, Politics, Social Commentary

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users