• Please log in to reply
214 replies to this topic

#21 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 07:03 PM

View PostSpectacles, on Oct 31 2006, 03:44 PM, said:

Scott: I commend Kerry for fighting back -- even as I wish he'd just go the f*** away.

:D

Hear hear!

Hear hear hear!  :cool:

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#22 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 07:10 PM

View PostNittany Lioness, on Oct 31 2006, 02:17 PM, said:

Kerry’s statements at a Democrat rally held at Pasadena Community College included:  "You know, education, if you make the most of it, you study hard, you do your homework and you make an effort to be smart, you can do well. If you don't, you get stuck in Iraq."

He just insulted EVERY single man and woman who are not only serving their country, but also every single veteran who served their country in the past.  Many of whom are serving because they WANT to get an education, and the military gives you money for that!  B*stard! :angry:

Give him a gun and ship his sorry arse over there.  Let's see how smart he will feel over there for saying that slander.
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#23 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 07:13 PM

View PostMark, on Oct 31 2006, 06:52 PM, said:

Mark: What distortions? Even the prepared speech that attempts to slam Bush, also slams our troops!

Uh, no, not remotely.  

John Kerry said:

Yesterday, I was in Texas.  As you all know, President Bush used to live there.  Now, he lives in a state of denial.  State of deception.  I'm glad to be here with you, I really am.  Thank you.  I'm here to talk about education.  you do your homework and you make an effort to be smart, you can do well. If you don't, you get stuck in Iraq.

Only the most twisted and desperate interpretation of these remarks gets anywhere near the reading being floated by the president and his supporters.

spidey said:

He just insulted EVERY single man and woman who are not only serving their country, but also every single veteran who served their country in the past. Many of whom are serving because they WANT to get an education, and the military gives you money for that! B*stard!

You're saying he insulted himself?  Yah--OK.

Edited by ScottEVill, 31 October 2006 - 07:14 PM.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#24 Dev F

Dev F

Straighten your pope hat!

• Islander
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 07:15 PM

View Postscherzo, on Oct 31 2006, 05:32 PM, said:

Kerry's office released his prepared remarks, which said, "Do you know where you end up if you don't study, if you aren't smart, if you're intellectually lazy? You end up getting us stuck in a war in Iraq. Just ask President Bush."
That doesn't work as a joke either. Turns out Kerry was arguably a worse college student than Bush
He's not talking about the fact that Bush didn't study in college, though. He's talking about him being "intellectually lazy" when it comes to the situation in Iraq.

It's a stupid, rather didactic joke, but you have to jump through some pretty desperate hoops to conclude that he intended to insult anyone but Bush with it.

#25 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 07:19 PM

View PostScottEVill, on Oct 31 2006, 04:13 PM, said:

spidey said:

He just insulted EVERY single man and woman who are not only serving their country, but also every single veteran who served their country in the past. Many of whom are serving because they WANT to get an education, and the military gives you money for that! B*stard!

Umm, you sure know how to twist things way out of line.  He insulted those who have served, and are serving now.  I don't care if he served.  He obviously forgot, and shoved his fat foot into his big mouth.
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#26 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 07:20 PM

View PostScottEVill, on Oct 31 2006, 06:13 PM, said:

View PostMark, on Oct 31 2006, 06:52 PM, said:

Mark: What distortions? Even the prepared speech that attempts to slam Bush, also slams our troops!

Uh, no, not remotely.  

John Kerry said:

Yesterday, I was in Texas.  As you all know, President Bush used to live there.  Now, he lives in a state of denial.  State of deception.  I'm glad to be here with you, I really am.  Thank you.  I'm here to talk about education.  you do your homework and you make an effort to be smart, you can do well. If you don't, you get stuck in Iraq.

Only the most twisted and desperate interpretation of these remarks gets anywhere near the reading being floated by the president and his supporters.

spidey said:

Mark:

Kerry's office released his prepared remarks, which said, "Do you know where you end up if you don't study, if you aren't smart, if you're intellectually lazy? You end up getting us stuck in a war in Iraq. Just ask President Bush."

So you think the adding of "Just ask President Bush." to his words makes it all better, Scott?  :dontgetit:
Mark
Discussion is an exchange of knowledge: argument is an exchange of ignorance.
Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it.
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#27 scherzo

scherzo

I know things

• Islander
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 07:31 PM

If it helps, keep telling yourself that. Thankfully, I don't have to face the moral dilemma of justifying a vote for Bush.
Yeah you rock!

I figured I'd give you a break from telling yourself THAT. :humble:

-scherzo
"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so."    -Ronald Reagan, October 27 1964
Posted Image

#28 Dev F

Dev F

• Islander
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 07:31 PM

View PostMark, on Oct 31 2006, 06:20 PM, said:

Mark:

So you think the adding of "Just ask President Bush." to his words makes it all better, Scott?  :dontgetit:
Read the quote again. That's not the only change.

#29 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 07:32 PM

mark said:

So you think the adding of "Just ask President Bush." to his words makes it all better, Scott?

I think the selective editing of what came before -- the first part of the paragraph (which he actually said) -- to make it appear that he was insulting the troops, rather than their commander-in-chief, who got us into this disaster, is the worst kind of deperate, gotcha! politics.

And if you want an example of truly disgusting remarks for which an apology should be issued, I'd direct you to what the President of the United States said in Georgia yesterday:

Bush said:

However they put it, the Democrat approach in Iraq comes down to this: the terrorists win and America loses.

No "desperate hoops" to jump through there (as Dev F put it so well)--The President just called all Democrats traitors.  For about the 500th time.  

For that, there should be an apology.

Edited by ScottEVill, 31 October 2006 - 07:48 PM.

#30 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 07:37 PM

View PostDev F, on Oct 31 2006, 06:31 PM, said:

View PostMark, on Oct 31 2006, 06:20 PM, said:

Mark:

Read the quote again. That's not the only change.

Mark: Uh...so why did Kerry decide to change these obviously carefully prepared words of wisdom?  :sarcasm:    
All I've got to say on Kerry's behalf is, Duh!  :wacko:
Mark
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#31 Dev F

Dev F

• Islander
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 07:45 PM

View PostMark, on Oct 31 2006, 06:37 PM, said:

Uh...so why did Kerry decide to change these obviously carefully prepared words of wisdom?
Erm, because he blew through the lines and dropped a bunch of the words since he's not a very good public speaker? Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.

Edited by Dev F, 31 October 2006 - 07:45 PM.

#32 Banapis

Banapis

Tilting at Shadow Depositories

• Islander
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 07:55 PM

Chris Matthews just read the original AP story from yesterday on air.  The sentences before the specicific one the GOP spin-machine latched onto explicitly refer to President Bush.  Read in context there's no mistaking Bush is the target.

So looks like nothing more than a wildly desparate pre-election distortion, and unfortunately those so susceptible to this kind of GOP propaganda just got fooled again.  Hook line and sinker.

Banapis

Edited by Banapis, 31 October 2006 - 07:55 PM.

#33 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 08:01 PM

View PostScottEVill, on Oct 31 2006, 06:32 PM, said:

mark said:

So you think the adding of "Just ask President Bush." to his words makes it all better, Scott?

I think the selective editing of what came before -- the first part of the paragraph (which he actually said) -- to make it appear that he was insulting the troops, rather than their commander-in-chief, who got us into this disaster, is the worst kind of deperate, gotcha! politics.

And if you want an example of truly disgusting remarks for which an apology should be issued, I'd direct you to what the President of the United States said in Georgia yesterday:

Bush said:

However they put it, the Democrat approach in Iraq comes down to this: the terrorists win and America loses.

No "desperate hoops" to jump through there (as Dev F put it so well)--The President just called all Democrats traitors.  For about the 500th time.  

Mark: So how do Democrats suggest that we win, and terrorist lose? So far, all I've heard is the bashing of our President, with no good suggestions as to how to accomplish a very difficult task.
Oh, but I do realize it's easier to criticize.  :sarcasm:

And if all you people insist on defending Kerry's comments, I'd say you've misplaced your loyalties.
Mark
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#34 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 08:09 PM

View PostDev F, on Oct 31 2006, 04:07 PM, said:

View PostMark, on Oct 31 2006, 05:01 PM, said:

BTW, I think Kerry said it exactly the way he intended to.  :devil:
Please. A career politician intended to insult the intelligence of every single member of the armed forces on the eve of a hugely critical election? That's absolute nonsense, wishful thinking of the most uncritical kind.

Absolutely. And yes, Bush is an idiot. We should have stayed the course in Afghanistan instead of invading Iraq but Dubya had a real hard-on for Iraq, maybe trying to show up Daddy, and ALL OF US are paying for it. Our country is broke dollar wise, and people are dying for his stupidity. That's absolutely as idiotic as you get. I defy anybody to show me anything Dubya ever got from his college education. His family bailed him out of every failed business he had, and his record as governor of Texas was not exactly sterling. He got elected by looking pious and mouthing the words "family values" at every opportunity.

And perhaps, if the Republicans could manage to separate out Iraq and terrorists there'd be a meeting ground in the middle. But that's the only justification left for this disastrous war.

Edited by Rhea, 31 October 2006 - 08:13 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#35 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 08:13 PM

View PostRhea, on Oct 31 2006, 07:09 PM, said:

View PostDev F, on Oct 31 2006, 04:07 PM, said:

View PostMark, on Oct 31 2006, 05:01 PM, said:

BTW, I think Kerry said it exactly the way he intended to.  :devil:
Please. A career politician intended to insult the intelligence of every single member of the armed forces on the eve of a hugely critical election? That's absolute nonsense, wishful thinking of the most uncritical kind.

Absolutely. And yes, Bush is an idiot. We should have stayed the course in Afghanistan instead of invading Iraq but Dubya had a real hard-on for Iraq, maybe trying to show up Daddy, and ALL OF US are paying for it. Our country is broke dollar wise, and people are dying for his stupidity. That's absolutely as stupid as you get.

And perhaps, if the Republicans could manage to separate out Iraq and terrorists there'd be a meeting ground in the middle. But that's the only justification left for this disastrous war.

Mark: I'm not gonna defend Bush, but I refuse to defend Kerry either. I think the whole lot are idots.  ARRRGH!
Mark
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#36 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 08:15 PM

Your not missing a thing Mark. The left has no answers. So faced with that they attack as it makes the other side defend itself.

They go on and on about what is wrong. Rather than that is wrong and here is an answer that everyone can agree with.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#37 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 08:31 PM

Amazing....So John Kerry decided to attack the troops as being "intellectually lazy" and essentially stupid, which is why they're in Iraq? He really meant to say this? A guy who himself served in combat in Vietnam?

Ooookaaayyyy. Those of you who are horrified that Kerry decided to verbally attack our troops as a bunch of dummies, tell me this: why? What do you think he was trying to accomplish? This is getting fascinating....

Honestly, even if the culprit in all of this was Bush and not Kerry, I truly hope I'd be able to see that Bush had blown his lines and the intended butt of the joke was not the troops but some Democrat. I really don't think ANY politician would deliberately joke about our troops' intelligence, not a Republican, not a Democrat. It's kinda scary to me that some people think that Kerry really did intend to insult the troops.

So, again, if you think Kerry meant to insult the troops, that instead of a flubbed joke this was a calculated remark, what on earth do you think was his purpose?
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#38 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 08:34 PM

View PostMark, on Oct 31 2006, 08:01 PM, said:

View PostScottEVill, on Oct 31 2006, 06:32 PM, said:

mark said:

Bush said:

Mark: So how do Democrats suggest that we win, and terrorist lose? So far, all I've heard is the bashing of our President, with no good suggestions as to how to accomplish a very difficult task.
Oh, but I do realize it's easier to criticize.  :sarcasm:

One needn't have all the answers to recognize that Bush has created an unmitigated disaster in Iraq -- or to recognize that the situation can only improve under a Congres that is willing, and able, to do its Constitutional duty and provide checks & balances on what is currently the untrammeled power of the executive.  

And if all you people insist on defending Kerry's comments, I'd say you've misplaced your loyalties.

Fair enough.  That's your opinion, and I thank you for it.  Here's mine: it's one thing to hear remarks taken out of context  and fall for the lie that Kerry is taking a swipe at the troops, but it's quite another to see his full-remarks (reprinted below) and still cling to the fiction.  Anyone who does that, in my opinion, has misplaced not their loyalty but their reading comprehension skills.  

john kerry said:

Yesterday, I was in Texas. As you all know, President Bush used to live there. Now, he lives in a state of denial. State of deception. I'm glad to be here with you, I really am. Thank you. I'm here to talk about education. you do your homework and you make an effort to be smart, you can do well. If you don't, you get stuck in Iraq.

BTW, I would never accuse anyone of disloyalty, especially not when Republicans are going around accusing anyone who dares to notice how incompetent they are of being traitors, as the President did just yesterday (in remarks that reprinted in this post).

#39 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 08:36 PM

So how do Democrats suggest that we win, and terrorist lose?

So how do Republicans suggest we do this, given that their policies are precisely why it seems that "we" are currently losing and the "terrorists" are currently winning?
Posted Image

#40 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 08:39 PM

Specs:  

It's kinda scary to me that some people think that Kerry really did intend to insult the troops.

Mark: Well, it IS Halloween!  :D

Oh Scott, Bush didn't create the problem in Iraq all by himself. He isn't omnipotent. As I recall, Democrats, and Republicans voted to go to war. And don't try to give me the old "Bush was lying about WoMD" line. Bush was going by what was told to him by our intelligence agencies.
Mark
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: John Kerry, Education, 2006, Military Comment, Politics, Social Commentary

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users