John Kerry Education 2006 Military Comment Politics Social Commentary

• Please log in to reply
214 replies to this topic

#201 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 10:41 PM

Actually it sort of underlines and highlights what people are disgusted about with them.

Last night on the Daily Show Stewart and gang did an excellent example of how ridiculous it was-they started talking about the seriousness of how many more soldiers had died and then suddenly breaking news-Kerry flubbed a joke.

The Republicans are not listening to the people and that's not good, the people are the masses and they can be overwhelming.
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#202 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 11:51 PM

View PostDrew, on Nov 1 2006, 07:44 PM, said:

View PostRhea, on Nov 1 2006, 09:40 PM, said:

Particularly since we have a President who is famous for misspeaking. :p :p

He never touched Miss Peking! They only exchanged cordial greetings!

:howling:  :howling:  :howling:
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#203 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 11:59 PM

View PostDev F, on Nov 1 2006, 02:33 PM, said:

View PostG1223, on Nov 1 2006, 03:56 PM, said:

Accuse me  Dav how is it a trap when the guy puts his foot in his mouth.  Then wants to act like he did not just do it.
It's a textbook-perfect example of a loaded question ("Have you stopped beating your wife?"). It presumes that Kerry did something for which he needs to apologize (which, if you read the comment in context, is wholly untrue), thus putting him in a position in which he must either a) apologize, thus implying that he did indeed do something wrong, or b) refuse to apologize, in which case his opponents can paint him as unrepentant.

It also has nothing whatever to do with the candidates or issues in the current campaign, and thus the Republicans' decision to pitch a coordinated hissy fit about it can only be explained as a cynical attempt to distract from their recent aura of failure.

What Dev said. Except I'd say the aura of failure isn't all that recent.  :angel:
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#204 scherzo

scherzo

I know things

• Islander
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 02:09 AM

Now that is a joke that I can laugh at. I know a bunch of FEMA jokes but I'm very sure that they would piss someone off.
Laughing at a Katrina related joke, directly contradicts what you said to Mark earlier Balderdash. But then, I never really believed the sudden and sanctimonious aversion to Katrina related humor would extend to lefty yuck meisters.

Don't sweat it - you didn't do anything bad. Schez just took it a little far and put a little nasty edge in it, 'cuz he thinks he's cute. I just think I'm cuter, 'zall.
:Oo: You can't be judging by the lackluster sales of that "Tickle me Zwolf" doll last Christmas. WORST INVESTMENT EVER! I can't believe I fell for that sales pitch of yours, "Kids gotta learn the F word sometime don't they".

I will agree that Mark "didn't do anything bad". Which made the verbal spanking he received worthy of a bit of, uh...negative attention. As for the rest, I continue to hold out hope that you'll one day figure out that not HATING Bush, doesn't necessarily mean I LOVE him. At best the current Republican line up secures the bulk of my support from the fact that they're simply "way better than the alternative".

Scherzo - sarcasm is not the answer.
Damn. :(  Then the answer's gotta be "Tibetan codfish juggling". :humble: Now if I could just remember the question.... :crazy:

Humour can be a way of dealing with it - what you're doing here is something else, and imo it's a bit out of line. I know you were trying to make a point, but perhaps there's a better way of expressing it?
I did some research and have indeed determined several better ways to have made my point. Problem is, they would have all severely reduced my own personal amusement...thereby undermining the primary goal of the effort.  :)

Zwolf- !! Gee, don't hold back there Zwolf, say what you REALLY think...rolleyes.gif You better be really good friends with him Zwolf! crazy.gif Seriously though - getting just a little personal there doncha think?
Relax...we've been sniping back and forth like this for years. I can only imagine the horror if some of our unmoderated Wacky Wars ever appeared here on ex isle.(naturally BEFORE Nittany and I received our Wacky Walking Papers)  I can never get completely enraged at Zwolf or Specs or Lin731, no matter how wrong they may(virtually always ;p ) be about politics, because I've known them long enough glimpse other aspects of their personalities which I consider more important.

-scherzo(still refusing to bring sexy back)
"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so."    -Ronald Reagan, October 27 1964
Posted Image

#205 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 02:30 AM

scherzo:

As for the rest, I continue to hold out hope that you'll one day figure out that not HATING Bush, doesn't necessarily mean I LOVE him. At best the current Republican line up secures the bulk of my support from the fact that they're simply "way better than the alternative".

Mark: Amen, scherzo!
Mark
Discussion is an exchange of knowledge: argument is an exchange of ignorance.
Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it.
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#206 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 07:18 AM

View PostRhea, on Nov 2 2006, 11:59 PM, said:

View PostDev F, on Nov 1 2006, 02:33 PM, said:

It also has nothing whatever to do with the candidates or issues in the current campaign, and thus the Republicans' decision to pitch a coordinated hissy fit about it can only be explained as a cynical attempt to distract from their recent aura of failure.

What Dev said. Except I'd say the aura of failure isn't all that recent.  :angel:

Ah so the republicans with their orbital mind control laser made Kerry make his comments. Then kept him from saying at the site anything like  a explaination of what he meant.

Gotcha.

In the real world Kerry could have explained himself when he felt the joke missed it's mark. But did he do that? No he pitched a fit that folks did not understand him.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#207 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

Craving a little perspective.

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 08:26 AM

Oh my.

Kerry in 1972:
"...he opposed the draft but considered a volunteer army "a greater anathema."

"I am convinced a volunteer army would be an army of the poor and the black and the brown," Kerry wrote. "We must not repeat the travesty of the inequities present during Vietnam. I also fear having a professional army that views the perpetuation of war crimes as simply 'doing its job.'

http://apnews.myway..../D8L4QH580.html

quote:
"-scherzo(still refusing to bring sexy back)"

With that flaming tail you keep flipping at me -- TOO LATE, baby.  Posted Image

I'm cold Howard.jpg

#208 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 09:02 AM

Zwolf- !! Gee, don't hold back there Zwolf, say what you REALLY think... You better be really good friends with him Zwolf!  Seriously though - getting just a little personal there doncha think?

We're friendlies, at least. :)  I wasn't meaning it too personal, and on most people I probably would've held back a little more, but I know Schez can handle a little roughness - he's good about that. :)  And just 'cuz he was being a d*ck then doesn't mean he's one always, y'know.

You can't be judging by the lackluster sales of that "Tickle me Zwolf" doll last Christmas. WORST INVESTMENT EVER! I can't believe I fell for that sales pitch of yours, "Kids gotta learn the F word sometime don't they".

Now, that's just not fair.  You know that if the company hadn't had to recall all of them because of that "bursting into flame" problem, they'd've sold like crazy!  It's my own fault, though, getting my merchandise from the people who made Pintos...

I will agree that Mark "didn't do anything bad". Which made the verbal spanking he received worthy of a bit of, uh...negative attention.

Eh, maybe a bit.  I thought Mark handled it, though...

As for the rest, I continue to hold out hope that you'll one day figure out that not HATING Bush, doesn't necessarily mean I LOVE him.

Pssstt!  I know that, but I was making a point (which worked, yay me!):  just because we criticise Bush (if you've got yer eyes open you'll see that it's well-deserved) doesn't mean we're hate-blinded, unreasoning, or mad.  You like to use that big brush a lot, so... you put down the "crazed Bush-hater" brush, and I'll drop the "yeah, well you love him!" brush.   Failing that, pick out ya'll's china pattern, 'cuz I'll have to keep goin'! :)

At best the current Republican line up secures the bulk of my support from the fact that they're simply "way better than the alternative".

That's reasonable, albeit based on what I'd consider poor judgement. ;)

Damn.  Then the answer's gotta be "Tibetan codfish juggling".  Now if I could just remember the question....

It coulda been "What would Bush probably be a lot better at than running a country?"

(this occasion calls for one of those somehow-infuriating :D smileys!)

I did some research and have indeed determined several better ways to have made my point. Problem is, they would have all severely reduced my own personal amusement...thereby undermining the primary goal of the effort.

See, this is why I can snark at this guy without going thermonuclear... I think I understand him... :)

Relax...we've been sniping back and forth like this for years. I can only imagine the horror if some of our unmoderated Wacky Wars ever appeared here on ex isle.(naturally BEFORE Nittany and I received our Wacky Walking Papers) I can never get completely enraged at Zwolf or Specs or Lin731, no matter how wrong they may(virtually always ;p ) be about politics, because I've known them long enough glimpse other aspects of their personalities which I consider more important.

Why, Sherz, that's almost a compliment... :)  Thanks, and back atcha.

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#209 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 09:41 AM

Scherzo said:

Laughing at a Katrina related joke, directly contradicts what you said to Mark earlier Balderdash. But then, I never really believed the sudden and sanctimonious aversion to Katrina related humor would extend to lefty yuck meisters.

If a lefty yuck meister had made light of Bush sitting on his a$$ while Katrina blew ashore I would have thought that "joke" had missed the mark too.  But you're right I did say that Katrina jokes aren't funny, I should have said some Katrina jokes aren't funny.  And I'm sure that I can count on you to keep me in check.  :)

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#210 Timon

Timon
  • Islander
  • 170 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 09:53 AM

Posted Image

#211 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 10:01 AM

Posted Image
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#212 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

Craving a little perspective.

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 10:02 AM

Hello?  Since when is calling a fellow poster a d!ick (repeatedly!) here acceptable?!
That's a hell of a long way from approaching the mere outer vicinity of cute.

I'm cold Howard.jpg

#213 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 11:07 AM

Hello? Since when is calling a fellow poster a d!ick (repeatedly!) here acceptable?!
That's a hell of a long way from approaching the mere outer vicinity of cute.

If you'll note (which I know would be inconvenient to the axe-grinding, but, what the hell), I admitted I was being a d*ck back.  

You bring d*ck, you get d*ck.

I wasn't calling him anything that I wasn't calling myself for my response.  I think he understands that.

But, if he wants to press charges with the mods about it, I won't contest it.

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#214 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 04:52 PM

scherzo: Relax...we've been sniping back and forth like this for years.

That's what I was looking for :) I feel better now. I just had to make sure...you could have pressed charges there on reasonable grounds I think, but friendly banter is hardly flaming each other is it?

Sorry Nittany, but in my opinion this is just not significant enough to make a big thing of it. If you would like the issue raised in the Staff Lounge or with the other OT mods then I will happily do so though, just let me know.

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#215 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 11:24 PM

View Postscherzo, on Nov 2 2006, 11:09 PM, said:

Now that is a joke that I can laugh at. I know a bunch of FEMA jokes but I'm very sure that they would piss someone off.

Don't sweat it - you didn't do anything bad. Schez just took it a little far and put a little nasty edge in it, 'cuz he thinks he's cute. I just think I'm cuter, 'zall.
:Oo: You can't be judging by the lackluster sales of that "Tickle me Zwolf" doll last Christmas. WORST INVESTMENT EVER! I can't believe I fell for that sales pitch of yours, "Kids gotta learn the F word sometime don't they".

I will agree that Mark "didn't do anything bad". Which made the verbal spanking he received worthy of a bit of, uh...negative attention. As for the rest, I continue to hold out hope that you'll one day figure out that not HATING Bush, doesn't necessarily mean I LOVE him. At best the current Republican line up secures the bulk of my support from the fact that they're simply "way better than the alternative".

Scherzo - sarcasm is not the answer.
Damn. :(  Then the answer's gotta be "Tibetan codfish juggling". :humble: Now if I could just remember the question.... :crazy:

Humour can be a way of dealing with it - what you're doing here is something else, and imo it's a bit out of line. I know you were trying to make a point, but perhaps there's a better way of expressing it?
I did some research and have indeed determined several better ways to have made my point. Problem is, they would have all severely reduced my own personal amusement...thereby undermining the primary goal of the effort.  :)

Zwolf- !! Gee, don't hold back there Zwolf, say what you REALLY think...rolleyes.gif You better be really good friends with him Zwolf! crazy.gif Seriously though - getting just a little personal there doncha think?
Relax...we've been sniping back and forth like this for years. I can only imagine the horror if some of our unmoderated Wacky Wars ever appeared here on ex isle.(naturally BEFORE Nittany and I received our Wacky Walking Papers)  I can never get completely enraged at Zwolf or Specs or Lin731, no matter how wrong they may(virtually always ;p ) be about politics, because I've known them long enough glimpse other aspects of their personalities which I consider more important.

-scherzo(still refusing to bring sexy back)

ROTFLOL! :D :D :D

You and Z are certainly on a roll.

Edited by Rhea, 03 November 2006 - 11:26 PM.

- Robert A. Heinlein

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: John Kerry, Education, 2006, Military Comment, Politics, Social Commentary

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users