• Please log in to reply
214 replies to this topic

#41 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 08:40 PM

View Postwaterpanther, on Oct 31 2006, 07:36 PM, said:

So how do Democrats suggest that we win, and terrorist lose?

So how do Republicans suggest we do this, given that their policies are precisely why it seems that "we" are currently losing and the "terrorists" are currently winning?

Mark: I asked first.  :p
Mark
Discussion is an exchange of knowledge: argument is an exchange of ignorance.
Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it.
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#42 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 08:44 PM

So, Mark. Why did Kerry deliberately insult the troops? What was he trying to accomplish?
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#43 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 08:45 PM

^  Okay.  This liberal (Democrat by default) thinks the situation in Iraq has gotten past the point where "winning" is possible, absent a massive increase in troop strength, indiscriminate aerial bombardment and the commission of genocide.  For this you may thank George Bush.

Now.  Your turn.
Posted Image

#44 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 08:47 PM

View PostSpectacles, on Oct 31 2006, 07:44 PM, said:

So, Mark. Why did Kerry deliberately insult the troops? What was he trying to accomplish?

Mark:
You tell me! Why has he insulted our troops in the past, and why is he allowed to continue? This is something a true Democrat must answer. Since I'm neither Repub, or Dem, I'm asking ya'll.

Come on Dems! Convince me that ya'll deserve my vote on your own merits...not because I'm scared of the Repubs.  ;)
Mark
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#45 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 08:51 PM

View Postwaterpanther, on Oct 31 2006, 07:45 PM, said:

^  Okay.  This liberal (Democrat by default) thinks the situation in Iraq has gotten past the point where "winning" is possible, absent a massive increase in troop strength, indiscriminate aerial bombardment and the commission of genocide.  For this you may thank George Bush.

Now.  Your turn.

Mark: I think it's past winning too, and we should pull out, and let the Iraqis deal with their own problems for a change. Only they can change their country.

Wait a minute...that's the easy answer. I know there is a better answer than that. I'll put some thought on it, and get back to ya later.

Edited by Mark, 31 October 2006 - 09:00 PM.

Mark
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#46 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 09:01 PM

Mark: And don't try to give me the old "Bush was lying about WoMD" line. Bush was going by what was told to him by our intelligence agencies.

Not entirely. Cheney and Rumsfeld had established their own intelligence apparatus in the Pentagon, charged specifically with finding evidence to support going to war with Iraq, which was their goal since BEFORE this administration took office, and was in fact the topic of discussion in the first Cabinet meeting of this administration--nine months before 9/11.

The "aluminum tubes" that were supposedly suitable only for use in a centrifuge were considered NOT suitable by the Department of Energy. In fact, only one young man in another department asserted that the tubes were for enriching uranium. Bush and Cheney and others had reports from most of their experts saying, "Nah, those tubes aren't for use in a centrifuge."

However, Bush and Rice and others asserted repeatedly and publicly  prior to the war that those tubes were proof that Saddam was enriching uranium to build nukes.

That's just one example of how this administration hyped the evidence in its public statements. Unfortunately, this issue of hyping Saddam's WMD has not been investigated even though the Senate Intelligence Committee has been charged with doing so for years. Senator Pat Roberts chairs the committee and has proven to be a loyal partisan, stonewalling this investigation and adding partisan talking points to the committee's reports on investigations it HAS undertaken.

This is one big reason that this country needs to put Congress back in Democratic control. We need checks and balances, as Scott said.

As for the Democrats voting to give Bush the authority to go to war if diplomacy broke down, yep. They did. They never should have. They were looking at the 2002 midterms in a month and Bush's popularity was sky-high. I was utterly disgusted with the Democrats for that. And a lot of good it did them. They were still portrayed terrorist-appeasers in the 2002 midterms. Republican partisans are still calling them a bunch of sissified pacifists. Hell, a couple of years ago, Rove even claimed that the Democrats didn't want to go into Afghanistan after 9/11--and the partisan Republicans believed him.

Edited by Spectacles, 31 October 2006 - 09:03 PM.

"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#47 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 09:09 PM

Mark: You tell me! Why has he insulted our troops in the past, and why is he allowed to continue? This is something a true Democrat must answer. Since I'm neither Repub, or Dem, I'm asking ya'll.

Nice try. :)

So, OK. I'll just accept that you think Kerry, who unlike Bush and Cheney actually served in combat, has some sort of pathological need to insult troops. And he really, really did mean to say that our troops sure are a bunch of dumb losers. That was no flubbed joke, and Bush wasn't the intended target. Kerry just hates the troops. Is that an accurate summary of your thoughts on the matter? 'Cause that sure is the only thing I can think you mean when you say that Kerry deliberately targetted the troops in those remarks.

#48 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 09:22 PM

Those of you who do not get that Kerry was talking about our politicians getting us stuck in a war in Iraq...

Were does the everyday soldier have control of were he ends up at?

It's the leader-the Commander in Chief.

They are trying their darndest to take the focus off of a) the botched war in Irag, b) Rush Limbaughs stupidity and c) Sexual deviants in the Republican party.

:glare:
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#49 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 09:25 PM

View PostSpectacles, on Oct 31 2006, 08:09 PM, said:

Mark: You tell me! Why has he insulted our troops in the past, and why is he allowed to continue? This is something a true Democrat must answer. Since I'm neither Repub, or Dem, I'm asking ya'll.

Nice try. :)

So, OK. I'll just accept that you think Kerry, who unlike Bush and Cheney actually served in combat, has some sort of pathological need to insult troops. And he really, really did mean to say that our troops sure are a bunch of dumb losers. That was no flubbed joke, and Bush wasn't the intended target. Kerry just hates the troops. Is that an accurate summary of your thoughts on the matter? 'Cause that sure is the only thing I can think you mean when you say that Kerry deliberately targetted the troops in those remarks.

Mark: I think Kerry is being a hateful Democrat. The rest are your assumptions of my feelings.  :p
Mark
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#50 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 09:32 PM

View PostSpectacles, on Oct 31 2006, 08:44 PM, said:

Possibly to get the democratic vote.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#51 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 09:38 PM

View PostG1223, on Oct 31 2006, 08:32 PM, said:

Mark: G!  :lol:  Easy there big fella.  
:rolleyes: On second thought...sick 'em!  :devil:
Mark
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#52 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 09:38 PM

View PostG1223, on Oct 31 2006, 09:32 PM, said:

He's not on any ballot, G.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#53 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 09:49 PM

That explains why he is saying it now. He will excuse the comment or say he was misunderstood when confronted when he goes for to hold his seat in four years.

It's the democratic thing. Say one thing then blow off the comment years later.  Then have the press do back flips to ignore the comment.  Like they have when Kerry is concerned.

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

#54 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 09:55 PM

'G1223' said:

scottevill said:

G1223 said:

Spectacles said:

He's not on any ballot, G.

That explains why he is saying it now.

You can't have it both ways, G.  First, he's saying it to court soldier-hating voters, then he's saying it because he's not on the ballot?  These remarks have no credibility.  

He will excuse the comment or say he was misunderstood when confronted when he goes for to hold his seat in four years.

You think insulting George Bush is going to hurt him at the polls?  In Massachusetts?  Yeah, OK.

Edited by ScottEVill, 31 October 2006 - 09:58 PM.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#55 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 10:01 PM

He is saying because it is a painless attack with no possibilty of being held accountable for his comments.  He is doing it to court voters for his PARTY because the party will back him when the time comes around for his next run for the Senate if not the White house in two years.

TANSTAAFL

#56 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 10:09 PM

You know all this time everyone that has used the term idiot or stupid has been talking about the man who is in the white house.

But suddenly-it's "oh you've insulted the troops."

How pathetic.

Kerry was not talking about the guys who are over in Iraq, he was talking about the idiots that are in charge of keeping us in Iraq.

And the Republicans do not know how to respond to the issues or defend their idiotic stand on certain issues.

So they twist this around.

It's actually a sign of desperation.
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#57 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 10:09 PM

It's fascinating to watch people flog themselves into an indignant frenzy over remarks that John Kerry never made--remarks they know he never made.  It's an object lesson in how propaganda works.
Posted Image

#58 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 10:12 PM

View PostMark, on Oct 31 2006, 07:47 PM, said:

Come on Dems! Convince me that ya'll deserve my vote on your own merits...not because I'm scared of the Repubs. ;)

Y'know . . . I got a political flyer stuck in my door again (get three or four probably every day now) and it was for some guy running for state assembly. And the whole flyer was nothing but line after line about how his opponent was just like George Bush! Booga! Booga! Booga! Not a word of specifics about his own platform. Not even attacking his opponent's record outright. Just an attempt to scare the locals into voting for him by calling up the specter of George Bush -- and last I checked, George Bush wasn't running for state assembly.

So, Mark, I'm with you. Candidates, please stop telling me that your opponent is the devil, and start telling me why you're a valid option.
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#59 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 10:16 PM

Yeah never said that he heard ,while in vietnam, on a radio Nixon say that we did not have troops in Vietnam.

The quote was in the Boston Globe and he never corrected it.

The error is that Kerry left  Vietnam a few years before the statement was made. And at least a year before Nixion came into the White House.

So here we see Kerry bad mouthing the troops and folks trying to jump on the grenade. Keep doing it. It's kinda fun to watch.

TANSTAAFL

#60 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 10:36 PM

View PostDrew, on Oct 31 2006, 10:12 PM, said:

View PostMark, on Oct 31 2006, 07:47 PM, said:

Come on Dems! Convince me that ya'll deserve my vote on your own merits...not because I'm scared of the Repubs. ;)

Y'know . . . I got a political flyer stuck in my door again (get three or four probably every day now) and it was for some guy running for state assembly. And the whole flyer was nothing but line after line about how his opponent was just like George Bush! Booga! Booga! Booga! Not a word of specifics about his own platform. Not even attacking his opponent's record outright. Just an attempt to scare the locals into voting for him by calling up the specter of George Bush -- and last I checked, George Bush wasn't running for state assembly.

So, Mark, I'm with you. Candidates, please stop telling me that your opponent is the devil, and start telling me why you're a valid option.

The voice of reason. Thank you Drew.
The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: John Kerry, Education, 2006, Military Comment, Politics, Social Commentary

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users