• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 WildChildCait

WildChildCait

And from the ashes of fire, she is reborn

• Islander
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 07:53 PM

He may be happy with the way Cheney and Rummie are running things, but the Brits voted him only slightly less dangerous than Bin laden, and rated his work as making the world unsafer, not safer.

http://www.guardian....1938434,00.html
RIP Ruby Medallion: 31-10-1999/21-05-2007
one gender-reassigned, world travelling, world class snake.

FKA Chaddee, amongst other things.
http://scentedalchemy.webs.com Custom handmade bath and body products

#2 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 10:24 PM

View PostChaddee, on Nov 3 2006, 06:53 PM, said:

He may be happy with the way Cheney and Rummie are running things, but the Brits voted him only slightly less dangerous than Bin laden, and rated his work as making the world unsafer, not safer.

http://www.guardian....1938434,00.html

Mark: Another bash Bush fest.  :glare:
Mark
Discussion is an exchange of knowledge: argument is an exchange of ignorance.
Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it.
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#3 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 11:00 PM

What can you expect Mark? Some Brits wanted to appease the Russians during the cold war by jumping on Regan.  They had polls like this because to them it was better to appease than stand strong. There were brits who supported Hitler because they were so afraid of the Communist he was the better choice.

Edited by G1223, 03 November 2006 - 11:01 PM.

If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#4 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 11:07 PM

Personally, I'd rate him more dangerous than any of them.  :devil: He scares the bejeesus out of me. I only hope we survive the rest of his presidency without going to war with Iran or N. Korea.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#5 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 12:16 AM

Yes  then we can have a wise and kind Democrat will come into office and suddenly the left will rally to the cause and we will see two marines walking the blasted ground with a bucket of paint to painted the lines in the parking lot.

Then after the shooting we will hear how the new and great leader needs more power and since he is a democrat he is above being questioned. At least the media will not question him. They have proven in the past to be either the ally or bleeting sheep.

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

#6 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 01:32 AM

I dunno, is being an idiot President worse than being an insane, hateful leader?  Bush is not exactly the sharpest tool in the shed, and he had made lots of huge mistakes, but I don't quite  put him in a worse catagory than Kim and Osama.
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#7 The Oncoming Storm

The Oncoming Storm

Water's wet; sky's blue; and Satan Clause is out there.

• Islander
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 10:18 AM

^Got a point.  At least this country isn't like Talibani Afghanistan.  Has anyone seen public executions of women for infidelity?  Last I checked, Lambeau Field isn't used for such things.  Osama was in favor of such things and was deep in bed with Mullah Omar, the "glorious leader" of the Taliban.  

While what Bush does may seem to destablize the world, Kim Jong Il is succeeding beyond his wildest dreams at keeping the world destabilized with the constant worry of a NK Nuke.

Edited by Lost Cause, 04 November 2006 - 10:18 AM.

Rose: [disgusted] Oh, look at what the cat dragged in: "The Oncoming Storm."

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." -- John Wayne

Sometimes the best causes worth fighting for are lost causes. -- Me.

Formerly Known as "Lost Cause."

#8 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 11:51 AM

Wow. Rationality goes out the window.  :sarcasm:
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#9 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 12:34 PM

Don't underestimate that special blend of power and ignorance...
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#10 WildChildCait

WildChildCait

And from the ashes of fire, she is reborn

• Islander
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 05:41 PM

Interesting, becuase perception really is everything.

And the fact is, this country's opinion of Bush does not appear flattering.

Call it what you will - fact is he had a lot of good will and squandered it with his international policy.
RIP Ruby Medallion: 31-10-1999/21-05-2007
one gender-reassigned, world travelling, world class snake.

FKA Chaddee, amongst other things.
http://scentedalchemy.webs.com Custom handmade bath and body products

#11 usmarox

usmarox

Honi soit y mal y Kevlar

• Islander
  • 617 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 05:53 PM

It is worth noting that the source is The Guardian, which as a newspaper traditionally has a fairly left-wing editorial slant.  That having been said, it isn't bad for balance (I'd read it), and certainly has been more concerned with how to solve the problems in Iraq rather than pointing fingers at how they came to be.

Of course, a poll is about public perception, not editorial position.
Miscellaneous ramblings and utter negativity - my LJ

You are not free, whose liberty is won by other, more righteous souls.  You are merely protected.  You suck the honourable man dry and offer nothing in return.  Now, the time has come for you to pay for that freedom, and you will pay in the currency of honest toil and human blood."

Inquisitor Czevak, Address to the Council of Ryanti.  

And no less true for being fictional.

Two ears, one mouth.  Use them in that ratio.

#12 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 06:29 PM

U.S. ~~ > contingencies > readiness >
http://www.washingto...22702-4895r.htm
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#13 Pixiedust

Pixiedust

Still the stupidest member of the party

• Islander
  • 7,901 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 06:57 PM

Don't know if you have to make a list of which is worse, when they're all as bad as each other. Well, mostly. And in different ways.

But I can't see Bush trying to make the world a better place so...
Posted Image

#14 The Oncoming Storm

The Oncoming Storm

Water's wet; sky's blue; and Satan Clause is out there.

• Islander
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 11:23 AM

View PostChaddee, on Nov 4 2006, 04:41 PM, said:

Interesting, becuase perception really is everything.

And the fact is, this country's opinion of Bush does not appear flattering.

Call it what you will - fact is he had a lot of good will and squandered it with his international policy.

Ain't gonna argue he blew his goodwill currency with a lot of folk, but comparing him to scum like Kim Jong Il and UBL is pointless.  May as well bring Godwin in on this one at this rate.

Rose: [disgusted] Oh, look at what the cat dragged in: "The Oncoming Storm."

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." -- John Wayne

Sometimes the best causes worth fighting for are lost causes. -- Me.

Formerly Known as "Lost Cause."

#15 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 01:09 PM

View PostDrew, on Nov 4 2006, 11:51 AM, said:

Wow. Rationality goes out the window.  :sarcasm:
Oh that went away several years ago...  Any pretense of it is what flew out the door today. ;)
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#16 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 02:11 PM

View PostLost Cause, on Nov 4 2006, 07:18 AM, said:

^Got a point.  At least this country isn't like Talibani Afghanistan.  Has anyone seen public executions of women for infidelity?

Perhaps, but I'm not sure we owe Bush any kudoes for that. We owe the Founding Fathers and the structure of our government for that - it certainly has nothing to do with Dubya. That, and the fact that this isn't a fundamentalist Muslim country. ;)

Bush had more responsibility than any other leader because our country is the biggest, richest, most powerful nation on earth. And he's done nothing but blow it since day 1. How does that not make him dangerous? My only consolation is that even his biggest former supporters are not likely to help him take away any more of our rights or get us into yet another war.

And I resent the implication that anyone who thinks Bush is dangerous is irrational. I tend to think the rest of you have been asleep for six years.

Edited by Rhea, 05 November 2006 - 02:13 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#17 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 02:29 PM

View PostLost Cause, on Nov 4 2006, 03:18 PM, said:

^Got a point.  At least this country isn't like Talibani Afghanistan.  Has anyone seen public executions of women for infidelity?

Abortion clinic bombing? (and no, that's not intended as a serious response)

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#18 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 03:05 PM

View PostRhea, on Nov 5 2006, 11:11 AM, said:

And I resent the implication that anyone who thinks Bush is dangerous is irrational. I tend to think the rest of you have been asleep for six years.

Amen sister!  

I have no idea where patriotism in the US ever began being equated with blind acceptance of "government policy" .  They represent us for crying out loud.  When they don't represent us well, we have a *right* and a duty to speak up.

Freedom of Speech is one of those "use it or lost it" amendments.  Anyone who thinks that silence and irrational acceptance of bad policy is necessary to being a patriot is insane IMHO.

It's our job to remain critical of government.  It's our job to speak out and demand answers from those who represent us and "act" in our name.  It's our job to be vigilant and unrelenting in demanding that government be held accountable to us *the people*.

The day that changes, that's the day the terrorists win.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#19 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 03:06 PM

View PostGodeskian, on Nov 5 2006, 02:29 PM, said:

View PostLost Cause, on Nov 4 2006, 03:18 PM, said:

Abortion clinic bombing? (and no, that's not intended as a serious response)

And in Afganistan during the taliban days such an act would not have been crime. Here you get hunted down and put on trial and depending on the state you get put to death for your crime.

TANSTAAFL

#20 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 03:11 PM

View PostRhea, on Nov 5 2006, 02:11 PM, said:

Sorry where are the secret police to take you away for such statements? Where is the cybercops to shut this site down?  You keep shouting that your freedoms are being taken and still they let you cry out loud about it? If Bush is the EVIL you keep labeling him why does he let you make this noise?

If Congress is his puppet why are they allowing it?

For six years you have ranted and raved about Bush this and Bush that and still you seem to have not lost the right to do so. But still you demand that we take you seriously.

We have not been asleep for six years we have simply gotten tired of rant and have you on ignore.

TANSTAAFL

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bush, 2006, Public Opinion, UK

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users