Military US Draft 2006

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 02:12 AM

How soon [at the rate we're going] before we re-institute the draft?

A more sweeping policy shift is under consideration that would allow the Pentagon to launch a new wave of involuntary mobilizations of the reserves, as a growing proportion of Guard and Reserve soldiers are nearing a 24-month limit on time deployed, they said. Army officials said no decision had been made on the politically sensitive topic but that serious deliberations will unfold in the coming months.

MSNBC

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#2 The Oncoming Storm

The Oncoming Storm

Water's wet; sky's blue; and Satan Clause is out there.

• Islander
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 11:22 AM

Great.  My wife just got her uncle back from Iraq a couple of weeks ago.  I wonder if her brother's gonna be sent before long.  God, I hope not.

Rose: [disgusted] Oh, look at what the cat dragged in: "The Oncoming Storm."

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." -- John Wayne

Sometimes the best causes worth fighting for are lost causes. -- Me.

Formerly Known as "Lost Cause."

#3 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 03:56 PM

Ah, this isn't necessarily new.  Involuntary extensions has been going on for a while now.  Quite a few who were supposed to return to the U.S. were "convinced" to stay longer.  They say bad things also come in threes, and we have Bush, Cheney, and Rumsfeld.
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#4 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 01:43 PM

I agree. No surprise there.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#5 shambalayogi

shambalayogi

Fan of Many Things

• Islander
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 02:07 PM

I've wondered for years--like 10 or twenty years--if and when the time would come the US government would try to reistate the draft.   My yuounger brother turned 18 the year they did away with the draft, or registering for the draft, sometime after Vietnam war ended. He's now 52.

I can't imagine what the present government could possibly say to get such a thing to be palatable to the AMerican public.  Of course, if we had another terrorist attack on US continental land that succeeded that would open up a whole new set of circumstances.  :(  :angry:
Shamba,
I Trust SNAPE!  so .. he better be loyal!
I Knew Where NZ was before LOTR!
Frodo Lives! Long Live the King!
It may not be a time of myth and legend, but it's
definitely a time for heroes and heroines!
Shambalayogi's Retreat
Tulsa Trek Expo
Comic Con In 2008
Learn About Peak Oil

#6 The Tyrant

The Tyrant

R.I.P. Martin Landau

• Islander
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 02:12 PM

Even if they did re-instate the draft, I'd fear for the quality of the recruits they'd get....and how long it would take to get them combat-ready.

#7 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 04:46 PM

shambalayogi, on Nov 6 2006, 11:07 AM, said:

I can't imagine what the present government could possibly say to get such a thing to be palatable to the AMerican public.

I can't either, but then I didn't imagine Dubya being elected president once, much less twice, so obviously I'm out of step. ;)
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#8 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 04:53 PM

I think that is the main concern I have.  I never thought the nation would put up with half of what has happened in the last 6 years.  If they will buy the war in Iraq, the military tribunals, secret internment in other nations, domestic wiretapping with no Judicial oversight [FISA], etc etc etc.. then they might buy into a Draft so we can "Stay the Course" in Iraq.  

I'm beginning to think anything is possible.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#9 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 04:58 PM

Everything I've ever read suggests that the people on the front lines against a draft would be the military themselves.
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#10 Bobby

Bobby

FKA LiberalBob

• Islander
  • 4,369 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 04:58 PM

Cait, on Nov 6 2006, 03:53 PM, said:

I think that is the main concern I have.  I never thought the nation would put up with half of what has happened in the last 6 years.  If they will buy the war in Iraq, the military tribunals, secret internment in other nations, domestic wiretapping with no Judicial oversight [FISA], etc etc etc.. then they might buy into a Draft so we can "Stay the Course" in Iraq.  

So we should be in the streets in mass protests?   With the election tomorrow there is a chance for some degree of change.   But what really constitutes doing something beyond that?

#11 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 07:20 PM

Oh. I thought you already had the draft over there anyways. Someone told me either you still have it or you haven't been too long without it. That true?

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#12 Bobby

Bobby

FKA LiberalBob

• Islander
  • 4,369 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 07:29 PM

Oh. I thought you already had the draft over there anyways. Someone told me either you still have it or you haven't been too long without it. That true?

When a guy turns 18 he has to register for the Selective Service.  I had to do it when I turned 18 back in 1997 but I don't know if they are still doing it.   Basically, you get your draft number if there ever were to be one again.  I had a friend whose brother refused to register for a while.

Edited by Life for Rent, 06 November 2006 - 07:45 PM.

#13 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 07:42 PM

Can't say I blame him. I'm glad we don't have it.

{{{{{{{{{{{Sparky's brothers}}}}}}}}}}}}

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#14 Bobby

Bobby

FKA LiberalBob

• Islander
  • 4,369 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 07:44 PM

Or you could have heard about what they were calling the "backdoor draft."   Soldiers who were at the end of their tours were basically forced to stay for longer periods in Iraq.

#15 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 07:48 PM

SparkyCola, on Nov 6 2006, 06:20 PM, said:

Offhand, I don't remember when the draft was abolished. Either toward the end of the Vietnam conflict or soon after it was over. But young men must had to register for selective service -- and still do I think. I had to when I was 18. There was no draft then and that was over two decades ago. But at the time it was still a recent enough memory that we all talked about it.
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#16 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 07:54 PM

The draft ended in 1973. (I was nineteen, and I remember the collective sigh of relief.)

http://usmilitary.ab...rafthistory.htm
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#17 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 07:57 PM

Actually the quality might not be so bad.

One of the toughest group of fighting men came out of the draft and that was during WWII.

With that said-if they do this then that's when the homeland will start looking like the Vietnam era.  Washington had better gear up for the protestors.  And it won't be just kids.

See what's kept us from doing the protesting in the fashion that happened in the 60's is that this is a volunteer army.
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#18 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 10:36 PM

God I hope there's no thought of reinstating the draft, I have a 22 year old son that I'd like to see have his chance to get married, raise a family and grow old. I promise you, if they brought back the draft, my son wouldn't be alone in protesting it cause mom and dad would be right there beside him.

As to the question about Selective Service filings for 18 year olds...Yes they still do it, my son had to do it and if ya don't do it, you can get into trouble with the law.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#19 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 01:22 AM

One of the toughest group of fighting men came out of the draft and that was during WWII.
In World War II you could give a guy a few weeks of training and a rifle and throw him into the grinder with some degree of success. Today that is impossible. Just learning how to use your own equipment takes a level of training that would have been literally unimaginable in World War II.
Today combat formations are networked by a vast series of electronic and mechanical systems that all require that thier operators know what they are doing or people will die and you will loose. These recruits have to be extensively trained and capable of operating the equipment and a draft would dilute that pool of talent into incoherence. Toughness doesn't win wars, you win wars by being better than your opponent and that means being smarter, having access to more information, better organization and better equipment that works.
That being said no government branch wants a draft, even the military itself doesn't want a draft.  They would be the people who would best know what thier own needs are and there are no plans to instate one because there isn't a need. Iraq isn't that kind of war. We're long past the point where just throwing warm bodies at it with no specialized training could make any difference. What was described in the article was using a mechanism already inherent in the system to make up shortfalls, not a draft which would require building a whole new infrastructure just to activate.
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

#20 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 02:31 AM

Cait, on Nov 6 2006, 01:53 PM, said:

I think that is the main concern I have.  I never thought the nation would put up with half of what has happened in the last 6 years.

I hope no one flames me for this, but the reason is too many just don't care.  Many of them are immigrants who have no love for this country, except for the $$$ they get from it.  They can care less of this nation or its government.

Another factor is kids aren't taught their history well at all.  They take things for granted.  Our liberties and all.  Adults too.  Thousands upon thousands have died to make the United States a free nation.  Yet, no one ever thinks of that.  Few even care.  And that is tragic, and scary.

If they will buy the war in Iraq, the military tribunals, secret internment in other nations, domestic wiretapping with no Judicial oversight [FISA], etc etc etc.. then they might buy into a Draft so we can "Stay the Course" in Iraq.  

Anything is possible, as long as people let it.  The "dumbification" of Americans has been going on for at least 30 years now.  Just like the days of Kings, the peasants were kept ignorant so that they would be less likely to protest, and just accept things as they come.

Another thing I see is many people are cowards.  Too afraid to speak up.  Too many prefer to be sheep and just go with the flow.  You know, cows also go with the flow.  Often times it's to the slaughter house.
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Military, US Draft, 2006

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users