82 replies to this topic

#1 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 05:18 AM

http://news.bbc.co.u...ast/6117910.stm

Former Iraqi President Saddam Hussein has been convicted of crimes against humanity by a Baghdad court and sentenced to death by hanging.

He was found guilty over his role in the killing of 148 people in the mainly Shia town of Dujail in 1982.

His half brother Barzan al-Tikriti was also sentenced to death, as was Iraq's former chief judge Awad Hamed al-Bander

Honestly? Anything less than the death penalty would have been a surprise.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#2 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 06:50 AM

Mark: Still not so sure it's a good idea, even though he deserves the death penalty 10x over.  :unsure:
Mark
Discussion is an exchange of knowledge: argument is an exchange of ignorance.
Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it.
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#3 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 07:35 AM

And Mark what else could be given? Life in Prison? His crimes merited death to give him less would make a mockery of justice.

If only the so called World Court would give this out to Milosivich. They are going to take the next decade to work out the case and then ,after looking like a group of toothless old men, sentence that mass murderer in jail the last few years of his life as he chuckles over the thousands of deaths he directed  to be done or simply did not care for the actions of his followers.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#4 Pixiedust

Pixiedust

Still the stupidest member of the party

• Islander
  • 7,901 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 08:17 AM

Well I'm not trying to downsize what he's done because he was a very, very bad person, but I've met Iraqi people who had to flee Iraq when they got invaded who told me he was an awful leader, but they still had it better with him than they do now.
Posted Image

#5 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 08:47 AM

You mean the Marsh Arabs who were looking at extinction under Saddam had it better? The Kurds were being gassed under a kinder more gentle tyrant?

Damm with that reasoning Hitler was not that bad a guy. He and Saddam dealt with those who opposed them in the same way. They killed them.

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

#6 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 08:55 AM

I see then that the Godwin law works faster in some threads than in others.

By now you lot MUST all know that I am against this, for me, the death penalty makes a mockery of justice. But let's not go over all that again, eh?

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#7 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 08:58 AM

G: If only the so called World Court would give this out to Milosivich. They are going to take the next decade to work out the case and then ,after looking like a group of toothless old men, sentence that mass murderer in jail the last few years of his life as he chuckles over the thousands of deaths he directed to be done or simply did not care for the actions of his followers.

Isn't Milosevic dead? I know the World Court didn't execute him, but I think he took an overdose while imprisoned. And didn't the GOP think it was wrong to overthrow Milosevic? (Serious question: I don't really recall the specifics but I do recall hearing a lot of resistance from some Republican leaders who thought that we shouldn't intervene in other countries' affairs. In fact, when Bush was running in 2000, one of his platforms was no "nation-building.")

Back to the topic, I'm personally fine with Saddam being sentenced to death. The problem, though, is that this is likely to inflame an already overheated conflict between Sunnis and Shiites. I guess I'm more worried about now and the future.

Edited by Spectacles, 05 November 2006 - 09:00 AM.

"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#8 Pixiedust

Pixiedust

• Islander
  • 7,901 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 09:07 AM

View PostG1223, on Nov 5 2006, 01:47 PM, said:

You mean the Marsh Arabs who were looking at extinction under Saddam had it better? The Kurds were being gassed under a kinder more gentle tyrant?

Damm with that reasoning Hitler was not that bad a guy. He and Saddam dealt with those who opposed them in the same way. They killed them.

There aren't any innocents, no. That's the whole point. People have got to drop the "we're so good, they're so bad," thing.

Yes, Saddam Hussein is a very dangerous, and evil man. That doesn't automatically make whoever opposes him good.
Posted Image

#9 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 10:22 AM

View PostG1223, on Nov 5 2006, 12:35 PM, said:

If only the so called World Court would give this out to Milosivich. They are going to take the next decade to work out the case and then ,after looking like a group of toothless old men, sentence that mass murderer in jail the last few years of his life as he chuckles over the thousands of deaths he directed  to be done or simply did not care for the actions of his followers

You are aware that Slobodan Milosovec has been dead since March 11th when he was found dead  in his cell right?

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#10 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 10:24 AM

View PostSpectacles, on Nov 5 2006, 01:58 PM, said:

Back to the topic, I'm personally fine with Saddam being sentenced to death. The problem, though, is that this is likely to inflame an already overheated conflict between Sunnis and Shiites. I guess I'm more worried about now and the future.

Does his death make life better? Does it bring the people he killed back to life? Does it undo decades of atrocities under his rule?

Shrug, killing him doesn't seem to achieve a great deal except to make those who want a pound of flesh to feel better.

Defy Gravity!

#11 The Oncoming Storm

The Oncoming Storm

Water's wet; sky's blue; and Satan Clause is out there.

• Islander
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 11:20 AM

^I don't know about that.  Justice means balancing out the scales.  I'm all for criminals not only going to jail, but paying recompense to the offended party.  Hussein murdered thousands in cold blood without ever shedding a tear for what he's done.  He even defended his own actions in open court--which, in the US, would be akin to suicide.  In all, he took what everyone considers to be the most precious thing in this world.  But, if the scales are to be balanced and justice truly done, he needs to pay with most precious thing to him--his own life.  It's not something I take lightly; dishing out the death penalty is serious business.  And to all those who say, "We should make every effort to ensure that the condemned is truly guilty."  I say this:  You want certainty?  With Hussein, it's damn near 100% certain.  You can't have a better candidate.

It's not about the pound of flesh in this man's case.  He wronged civilized society and humanity at large.  He can't get off lightly.

Rose: [disgusted] Oh, look at what the cat dragged in: "The Oncoming Storm."

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." -- John Wayne

Sometimes the best causes worth fighting for are lost causes. -- Me.

Formerly Known as "Lost Cause."

#12 Pixiedust

Pixiedust

• Islander
  • 7,901 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 11:50 AM

The scariest thing though, is that while Saddam does probably deserve what he'll get and a lot more, how do you know the reason behind his death penalty has less to do with that and more with sympathy and publicity, trying to look like "the good guy"?
Posted Image

#13 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 01:08 PM

I wonder whatever happened to the gallows from Nuremberg...   I'm surprised that he hasn't tried to demand a firing squad yet though it may not have sunk in to that degree yet.

View PostSparkyCola, on Nov 5 2006, 08:55 AM, said:

By now you lot MUST all know that I am against this, for me, the death penalty makes a mockery of justice. But let's not go over all that again, eh?
The decision to have Saddam hang or not should be left up  to the Iraqi people.  I think it would be rather pretentious of us to state that we should have some say in what his sentance should be.  They were the ones whop suffered under him so they should decide his fate.

Gode: Does his death make life better? Does it bring the people he killed back to life? Does it undo decades of atrocities under his rule?
It ends the thing that Saddam values the most.  His life.
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#14 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 01:20 PM

View PostGodeskian, on Nov 5 2006, 10:22 AM, said:

View PostG1223, on Nov 5 2006, 12:35 PM, said:

If only the so called World Court would give this out to Milosivich. They are going to take the next decade to work out the case and then ,after looking like a group of toothless old men, sentence that mass murderer in jail the last few years of his life as he chuckles over the thousands of deaths he directed  to be done or simply did not care for the actions of his followers

You are aware that Slobodan Milosovec has been dead since March 11th when he was found dead  in his cell right?

Yes and I know he cheated justice. That court would have put him a jail cell for the remainder of his life. Which is something he cut short on his victims.

I will be pleased when the rope goes taunt on Saddam.

TANSTAAFL

#15 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 01:24 PM

View PostGodeskian, on Nov 5 2006, 10:24 AM, said:

Does his death make life better? Does it bring the people he killed back to life? Does it undo decades of atrocities under his rule?

Shrug, killing him doesn't seem to achieve a great deal except to make those who want a pound of flesh to feel better.

Then the Nazi's leaders who were put to death for all the mass killings they ordered and oversaw did not deserve it? We should have done nothing for the excesses  that were comitted?

There are reasons to put men to death and one of them is why Saddam is going to get hanged.

TANSTAAFL

#16 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 01:41 PM

The decision to have Saddam hang or not should be left up to the Iraqi people. I think it would be rather pretentious of us to state that we should have some say in what his sentance should be. They were the ones whop suffered under him so they should decide his fate.

I'll be honest here and say I don't understand how this relates to what you quoted of me. Sorry :unsure:

Yes and I know he cheated justice. That court would have put him a jail cell for the remainder of his life. Which is something he cut short on his victims.

I will be pleased when the rope goes taut on Saddam.

Is it just me or is this a contradiction? Milosovec cheated his victims by killing himself. Preseumably therefore, you're implying better justice would have been served if he had rotted in a cell for years on end. Saddam Hussein on the other hand is ALLOWED to cheat his victims by going straight to the death penalty and NOT rotting in a cell. That makes no sense.

Then the Nazi's leaders who were put to death for all the mass killings they ordered and oversaw did not deserve it?

Talking about Nazis will not make me any less opposed to the death penalty. It's not about what people deserve. The death penalty is wrong no matter to whom you apply it. You're either on their level or you are not.

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#17 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 01:50 PM

No the better justice is too let those who commit crimes against humanity know that they can be put to death. We did it with the leaders of the third reich because their crimes were too serious to not put them to death?

TANSTAAFL

#18 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 01:58 PM

View PostCJ AEGIS, on Nov 5 2006, 10:08 AM, said:

The decision to have Saddam hang or not should be left up  to the Iraqi people.  I think it would be rather pretentious of us to state that we should have some say in what his sentance should be.  They were the ones whop suffered under him so they should decide his fate.

What CJ said.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#19 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 03:49 PM

It woud be most fitting if the scum-bag was executed slowly by one of his own methods he executed countless others.  None of this "mercy" crap.  He isn't worthy of that.
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#20 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 04:47 PM

View PostSpidey, on Nov 5 2006, 08:49 PM, said:

It woud be most fitting if the scum-bag was executed slowly by one of his own methods he executed countless others.  None of this "mercy" crap.  He isn't worthy of that.

And then we become like him. The only difference we'd be doing it because it was 'justice' while he did it because he was a 'monster'. Beware about staring into the abyss, it has a tendency to stare back.

Defy Gravity!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Iraq, Saddam Hussein, Death Penalty, 2006

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users